Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I think it was a joke, lung charity, needs the money to keep breathing, ba dum dum...

If not it was an excellent choice of words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

Went into Dunnes today, there was a young lad outside collecting for the "Lung Society of Ireland"

I ignored him, but thought to myself, hmm I've never heard of that..

Half an hour later I saw him being carted off in a Paddywagon, the lil bastard was a fake.

Why was he carted off in a tour company's bus?? ;)

fjlpqp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In the school I used to go, which was private and had outrageous fee's, they used to put bread at the end of the canteen counter, never saw it at least two days out of date.
    In 2009, when I was boarding there(cos it was a part boarding school) we all went on a trip to Chester, and we were getting the train, and we'd all paid £10 each, and we had to supply our own food, and money to spend there, and the teacher in charge tried to haggle at the train station to get a bulk ticket cos there was so many of, then tried to get everyone on with a child ticket.

Same school, we were going to the art gallery in Liverpool, and the teacher was charging us £15 each, which included travel, and I pointed out I had a trio travel pass(which was bus, train, and ferry) and therefore I shouldn't pay £5 more for a train ticket, but she said it was 'extra costs' and I had to pay. When someone pointed out to the teacher the gallery was free to get into it, it was a suggested donation, we had... 15 people in the class, and if we each put a pound or two in, it could save us money, she said 'no extra costs' and we went in, and she didn't give any donations, and we didn't talk to any museum staff, we were in there for half an hour max, then we had to buy our own food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Another charity scam.

Years ago a common fund raiser for clubs was a "spot the ball" card. This was a grid 5 by 5 with tha ball concealed behind one square. Each go cost 5p and the winner got £1 and the profit of 25p went to the club. These were usually sold in the pubs and it was common to have several of these cards sold on the same night in the same pub. Because the prize was so small they weren't really regulated by the Guards. There was this guy who came around our local and he used to sell the squares at £1 each and have a top prize of £20. We found out later that instead of returning a £5 profit to the club he used only return the face value of 25p and pocket the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

HITC wrote: »
    il tell you all about stinginess i was living with my aunt and uncle after my mother died for maybe ten years, and i don't know how much it is but she they where getting a fostering allowance for me as i was not there child which never went on getting me new cloths etc, i never got a penny from them my uncle was making around a grand a week in his job and my aunt on top of that was claiming invalidity payments, i wasn't allowed claim the social welfare payments and i was told to get up at 7am every morning to look for a job which i did but to no avail, my granddad god rest him gave me 15 euro a week from his pension which i spent on myself reasonably but if it was someones birthday in the house i was called mean for not getting a present out of my 15 measly euro like wtf ? oh on 1 rare occasion my aunt gave me 100 but told me the next day to go the credit union and withdraw 350 euro as she was "broke" may i add that 350 was left from 1000 my late mother left me which i also never seen a penny of, i often went to school smelling because i wasn't allowed shower because apparently it makes the esb bill go up a euro or two, I eventually left and now i am homeless but better than living with those shower of b4stards sorry to rant just wanted to vent

This is the point that this thread went from people bending the truth and telling well known stories as facts to just making stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm not sure if I'm the stingy one here or the other guy. My friend and I were going out in town (just to annoy the non-dubs :P) one night but before that he said he had to go to a barbecue in his brother's house for a while first and said I should come along. I'd met some of them before but knew no one there. I wasn't sure how long we'd be there so I picked up a ten pack of beer on the basis that I'd probably only have one or two there but would have the rest another day.

When we got there I tried to open up my ten pack but his brother insisted that I drink his beer. We were there less than an hour in the end so I had two of his beers, each time with him stopping me from opening my own.

When we were leaving I picked up my ten pack and started to walk out and the brother said "oh, you're taking that are you?" and I said "Yes I am" and kept walking.

So was I stingy for taking the ten pack or was he stingy for insisting that I drink two of his beers instead of my own and then expecting me to leave my ten pack behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

But people do that anyway they just calculate by euro? Pretty standard to hear people say "20e will get me to x", or "I got Xl in the local service station for a tenner but only Y down the road", It's like kilometres and miles, both are right but only one is standard.

How can someone say that "20e will get me to x" when the distance that 20e gets you is constantly changing? Yeah they can estimate but the estimate will never be as accurate as if you're calculating by the litre. Also it's a hell of a lot easier to say "20L gets me 220 miles" than to say "Yesterday for my €20 I got 14.81L and that will get me 162.91 miles. Today for my €20 I got 15.24L and that will get me 167.64 miles. Who knows how far it will get me tomorrow!"

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Friend of mine was asked out for dinner by a guy. She put on her best frock and waited patiently for him to arrive. He duly picked her up and drove into town. Parked up outside the restaurant........which was a MacDonalds. She figured she'd go along with it, who doesn't love a McChicken Sandwich?

So she walks in with him in her best party dress and highest heels. He doesn't ask her what she wants, instead he marches up to the counter, takes out a Dunnes Stores receipt and tears the "two big mac meals for the price of one" voucher off the back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I hate been accused of stinge by others. I was drinking with mates at the weekend when a fella dressed up as Elvis came into the bar selling scratchcards for a local charity. I bought one for 3euro and continued chatting with the lads. After 10 mins or so Elvis comes back and tries to flog us more tickets. The lads obliged but I who wasn't in great humour snapped and told him to GTFO.

The lads all said I should have bought another as it was only 3 quid and for a good cause. Now I respect that but I had already supported his charity by buying the first card. Financially things are very ropey for me at the moment and I just can't afford to be forking out to a charity twice in the same night.

you arent from the prosperous area in kildare at all?

I'm presuming the same guy dressed as elvis comes into my local every weekend selling those scratch cards, plus a person who regularly drinks in the bar runs a raffle winner takes all, which for some strange reason no-one other than her family or good friends seem to win' now i'm not stingy but i have to agree with you on this, between elvis and this person its 5 euro for the raffle and 3 for elvis and i'm usually caught with it before my first sip of porter even hits my lips, it really annoys me but every week you give in to pressure of all your friends watching and pay up!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm the stingy one here or the other guy. My friend and I were going out in town (just to annoy the non-dubs :P) one night but before that he said he had to go to a barbecue in his brother's house for a while first and said I should come along. I'd met some of them before but knew no one there. I wasn't sure how long we'd be there so I picked up a ten pack of beer on the basis that I'd probably only have one or two there but would have the rest another day.

When we got there I tried to open up my ten pack but his brother insisted that I drink his beer. We were there less than an hour in the end so I had two of his beers, each time with him stopping me from opening my own.

When we were leaving I picked up my ten pack and started to walk out and the brother said "oh, you're taking that are you?" and I said "Yes I am" and kept walking.

So was I stingy for taking the ten pack or was he stingy for insisting that I drink two of his beers instead of my own and then expecting me to leave my ten pack behind?

I'd say it was just a misunderstanding, you were under the assumption he was just giving you his beers to be nice, while he thought you were bringing the beers for the session like everyone brings beer then drinks whatever they come across, so gave you his. Thats what I take from it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

anndub wrote: »
    Friend of mine was asked out for dinner by a guy. She put on her best frock and waited patiently for him to arrive. He duly picked her up and drove into town. Parked up outside the restaurant........which was a MacDonalds. She figured she'd go along with it, who doesn't love a McChicken Sandwich?

So she walks in with him in her best party dress and highest heels. He doesn't ask her what she wants, instead he marches up to the counter, takes out a Dunnes Stores receipt and tears the "two big mac meals for the price of one" voucher off the back :eek:

Was the guy Eddie Hobbs?
    In these recessionary times, they should went halves :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If she stayed any longer then she deserves him.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    If she stayed any longer then she deserves him.

She ate her Big Mac but there wasn't a third date. Yes, she'd been out with him before and he'd pulled a similar stunt with a two for one voucher for an activity he'd suggested they do. He was delighted that time because the cashier had given him the discount but told him to keep the voucher. The cashier had done that because he had obviously copped it was a date and was trying to save your man's ass by hoping she wouldn't cop if she didn't see the voucher change hands, however your man turned around and said to her with a big delighted head on him "that's great now, it'll do for another date".

She really should have legged it at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,218 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cloud493 wrote: »
    In the school I used to go, which was private and had outrageous fee's, they used to put bread at the end of the canteen counter, never saw it at least two days out of date.
    In 2009, when I was boarding there(cos it was a part boarding school) we all went on a trip to Chester, and we were getting the train, and we'd all paid £10 each, and we had to supply our own food, and money to spend there, and the teacher in charge tried to haggle at the train station to get a bulk ticket cos there was so many of, then tried to get everyone on with a child ticket.

Same school, we were going to the art gallery in Liverpool, and the teacher was charging us £15 each, which included travel, and I pointed out I had a trio travel pass(which was bus, train, and ferry) and therefore I shouldn't pay £5 more for a train ticket, but she said it was 'extra costs' and I had to pay. When someone pointed out to the teacher the gallery was free to get into it, it was a suggested donation, we had... 15 people in the class, and if we each put a pound or two in, it could save us money, she said 'no extra costs' and we went in, and she didn't give any donations, and we didn't talk to any museum staff, we were in there for half an hour max, then we had to buy our own food.
    So, you have no real experience of the thread topic, then?

Not your ornery onager

Another charity scam.

Years ago a common fund raiser for clubs was a "spot the ball" card. This was a grid 5 by 5 with tha ball concealed behind one square. Each go cost 5p and the winner got £1 and the profit of 25p went to the club. These were usually sold in the pubs and it was common to have several of these cards sold on the same night in the same pub. Because the prize was so small they weren't really regulated by the Guards. There was this guy who came around our local and he used to sell the squares at £1 each and have a top prize of £20. We found out later that instead of returning a £5 profit to the club he used only return the face value of 25p and pocket the rest.
    I'd call that crafty, rather than stingy.

Not your ornery onager

Friend of mine....
    She ate her Big Mac but there wasn't a third date. Yes, she'd been out with him before and he'd pulled a similar stunt with a two for one voucher for an activity he'd suggested they do. He was delighted that time because the cashier had given him the discount but told him to keep the voucher. The cashier had done that because he had obviously copped it was a date and was trying to save your man's ass by hoping she wouldn't cop if she didn't see the voucher change hands, however your man turned around and said to her with a big delighted head on him "that's great now, it'll do for another date".

She really should have legged it at that point.
    I would have thought your "friend" would have learned from "her" first experience.

Hope you binned those shoes, btw. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

When you type the lies, it might seem to you that it sounds plausible.
    But when somebody else reads the made up stories, its really, really obvious to us that they are not really true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

When you type the lies, it might seem to you that it sounds plausible.
    But when somebody else reads the made up stories, its really, really obvious to us that they are not really true.

What post is that in response to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Esel wrote: »
    So, you have no real experience of the thread topic, then?

No I have. My father does stingy things I'd never have thought of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

mightyreds wrote: »
    you arent from the prosperous area in kildare at all?

I'm presuming the same guy dressed as elvis comes into my local every weekend selling those scratch cards, plus a person who regularly drinks in the bar runs a raffle winner takes all, which for some strange reason no-one other than her family or good friends seem to win' now i'm not stingy but i have to agree with you on this, between elvis and this person its 5 euro for the raffle and 3 for elvis and i'm usually caught with it before my first sip of porter even hits my lips, it really annoys me but every week you give in to pressure of all your friends watching and pay up!!:mad:

I'm willing to put money on it that that guy is...... actually probably best not to mention his name, but he's from Kilkenny. He travels around the country collecting money, I have seen him in Limerick a few times. The reason he has to travel around is because it's well known in Kilkenny that the money he collects isn't for charity! He's as dodgy as they come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

There hasn't been a good stinge story for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

My first office job was with a local accountancy firm. The boss told us not to off the lights in the room during lunch as it cost too much electricity when turning them back on after lunch. This is the same guy that used to steam envelopes to re-use the stamps on them. The guy was loaded

Warper wrote: »
    The boss told us not to off the lights in the room during lunch as it cost too much electricity when turning them back on after lunch.

Be happy in the knowledge that he couldn't have been more wrong, and that an hour a day adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Be happy in the knowledge that he couldn't have been more wrong, and that an hour a day adds up.
    He obviously hadn't seen the Mythbusters that debunked the 'takes more electricity to turn them on' myth. AFAIR it's only cheaper to leave them on if you're going to be out of the room for less than 3 seconds.

In all fairness it takes a very special kind of person to believe that myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

In fairness, it can be alittle unfair if someone is only getting a cheap main course and others are getting fillet steaks plus starters and desserts.

Being a tight focker myself, late one night whilst staying in a hotel i was craving some coke- it was something like €10 for a tiny bottle. Drank it anyway, went across to the shop the next morning and bought a bottle, then filled up the glass bottle, put the lid back on and put it back in the minibar :D:D

That is genius, I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

cloud493 wrote: »

Surely if you were privileged enough to attend a private fee paying school its a bit stingy to be giving out about a few quid, everything you've mentioned in £15 or under, you had to provide your food so what fee's for education/trips aren't always well managed and have to be supplemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

A guy i work with does this.....its so bad its good...

After a night on the beer he goes into a Chipper that delivers, gives his order and gets a spin home from the delivery guy to save on a taxi!..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

NukaCola wrote: »

After a night on the beer he goes into a Chipper that delivers, gives his order and gets a spin home from the delivery guy to save on a taxi!..... :pac:

ha. fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

NukaCola wrote: »

That's already been mentioned in this thread. Maybe you know someone else on Boards,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement