Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

One Christmas in my gaff, when I was a kid, our families started exchanging presents. All the aunties and uncles started giving the young cousins their pressies.

With that one auntie opened a three pack of boxer shorts and handed a pair each to me and two male cousins, the pair of boxers nearly came in handy as we almost soiled our pants with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

One weekend a large group of us went paintballing so we organised convoys of cars. I picked up 3 lads from their respected houses and drove from Cork city to a woodland an hour west of Limerick city and then drove the same 3 lads from the woods to Limerick city where we went out for the night.

The next morning after a full irish, I had to pay 10e for parking and one of the lads said he'd get this, i said thats a nice offer and let him pay when the other two showed up and offered me a 5er between them (their split on the parking), I said there was no need.

Finally I drove back to Cork city, stopping once to get €60 petrol. Lads in the other convoy stopped also and as their driver went in to pay the other lads put money into the ashtray for him to find later. My passengers did not.

Finally I dropped the lads back to cork and the lad who offered me the €5 was going to get the bus to his folks home but I thought I should see my folks too and gave him another 50 mile lift to West Cork, dropped him right to his door and he said, 'Thanks for that' and left.

Out of not sounding stingy I didnt say anything but I felt that after driving people over 300 km that they could have least thrown me a tenner each.
    Am i the stingy one or are they?

i've one mate who is notorious like this, would take lifts around the country to matches & stags and never offer a penny, first lad to get the rounds in though, i put it down to the fact he doenst drive and hence isnt too aware of the cost of running a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bamboozle wrote: »
    i've one mate who is notorious like this, would take lifts around the country to matches & stags and never offer a penny, first lad to get the rounds in though, i put it down to the fact he doenst drive and hence isnt too aware of the cost of running a car.

Regardless of whether or not your drive, you know the costs of petrol, I don't drive don't even know how, but I know to throw a few quid in depending on length of journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Regardless of whether or not your drive, you know the costs of petrol, I don't drive don't even know how, but I know to throw a few quid in depending on length of journey.
    I have loads of mates who come with me when I drive places. The general rule is that if I was going to be driving anyways then I don't expect any contribution, if I am driving somewhere for them then they contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Quazzie wrote: »
    I have loads of mates who come with me when I drive places. The general rule is that if I was going to be driving anyways then I don't expect any contribution, if I am driving somewhere for them then they contribute.

hah they are playing you for a sucker. my general rule would be one of them could bloody well drive next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I hate being a passenger. I get bored very easy so I'd rather drive and suffer the expense even if they were driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

LighterGuy wrote: »
    LIES. Your story didnt happen.
    1, Satellite dishes are always placed at high level. Let alone old dishes.
    2, so we are suposed to believe your partner didnt once check the so called ground level dish to find the duvet? :rolleyes: ... just staring at the tv wondering whats up ... or you telling us you got a ladder and climbed the roof? ahahahaha.

This is coming from the same person who just watched their neighbour steal their flower blubs without saying a single thing to them. I call lies.
    dish was at shoulder height to me, and partner was too lazy to look, i would get up and look at all connections yes, but partner would not, it is true, i did feel sorry for doing it after, but i could not tell the oh, i did not do it again, they picked up the newspaper and had a good read instead, i am not lying.

Quazzie wrote: »
    your car spend less fuel the less people you have in it, so incase you think they are not costing you, think again

goat2 wrote: »
    dish was at shoulder height to me, and partner was too lazy to look, i would get up and look at all connections yes, but partner would not, it is true, i did feel sorry for doing it after, but i could not tell the oh, i did not do it again, they picked up the newspaper and had a good read instead, i am not lying.

still, sounds like a very immature and petty thing to have done.

I suffer EastEnders every day because my wife loves it. i positively loathe it but i dont ruin it for her.

your car spend less fuel the less people you have in it, so incase you think they are not costing you, think again

yeah. but even aside of that, good mates would throw you something without you having to ask. giving them a ride is a direct benefit to them. they did not have to drive themselves or take a bus or cab.

• Advertisement

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    still, sounds like a very immature and petty thing to have done.

I suffer EastEnders every day because my wife loves it. i positively loathe it but i dont ruin it for her.
    i agree with you, but the oh often pull pranks on me, only thing is i dont do it very often, but when i do it hits home, i would never stop the person watching their favourite programmes like formula one, and soccer, as i know they love those, as for the rest they could take or leave and it was not one of the favourites, in fact i would remind the person that it is on, and know in advance not to expect the telly when these things are on, but i also have my favourites, and one of them was on at time.

yeah. but even aside of that, good mates would throw you something without you having to ask. giving them a ride is a direct benefit to them. they did not have to drive themselves or take a bus or cab.
    that is fair enough, they sound like good people, you are lucky, we all know people who would take all round them, and dont think of giving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pay for a pack of crisps and a mars bar from the 'take a penny/give a penny' jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Yesterday Im standing waiting on my mate outside the bookies, this dirty owl fella pops out for a smoke . Tramp just throws the end of it on the ground and walks off. My cheap ass mate who has no cash and no cigs after blowing all his money on bets arrives out. I see him eyeballing the still smouldering end. And think to myself no way. I let on I dont notice as he slyly picks it up and sucks the life out of it hunched over, pretending he is tieing his shoe lace. Jasus I said pointing down the street "see that dirty owl fella you were standing beside in the bookies that was his. Beggars cant be choosers he says... ROTTENNNN

smash wrote: »
    Pay for a pack of crisps and a mars bar from the 'take a penny/give a penny' jar.

hah! to me those are more like the 'give a penny' jar. i sooner break another bill because i feel too scabby taking from it.

only time i do is when i get petrol because it can be damn hard to stop the pump exactly at 0.

1. Yes, he did commit an offence. He was one of the people who protested the bin taxes and actually served about 3 weeks in prison.

2. He does recycle.... sort of. He was still provided the recycling bin oddly enough. Unfortunately he has very liberal views about what can be recycled.

3. Ive seen people drop rubbish on the ground when a public bin was 2 feet away, at least he uses them!
    i pay 300 euro per year for my bin collection, i also pay over 200 euro to empty septic tank, your da in law live in an estate he does not have to worry about septic tank emptying, and i am sure he pays less than i do for bins, we all recycle now, and as for rubbish on the ground, i would not dream of dropping on ground, i always take bag in car when going for long spin to be used as binbag that is emptied into my own bin when i come home, i know i can prank, but i dont put more cost on already overburdened taxpayer.

i pay 300 euro per year for my bin collection, i also pay over 200 euro to empty septic tank, your da in law live in an estate he does not have to worry about septic tank emptying, and i am sure he pays less than i do for bins, we all recycle now, and as for rubbish on the ground, i would not dream of dropping on ground, i always take bag in car when going for long spin to be used as binbag that is emptied into my own bin when i come home, i know i can prank, but i dont put more cost on already overburdened taxpayer.

i completely agree with ya. i slag my wife off all the time over it. not to mention whenever she pops over for a visit she ends up coming home with his rubbish in our car. what a disgrace!

LIES. Your story didnt happen.
    1, Satellite dishes are always placed at high level. Let alone old dishes.
    2, so we are suposed to believe your partner didnt once check the so called ground level dish to find the duvet? :rolleyes: ... just staring at the tv wondering whats up ... or you telling us you got a ladder and climbed the roof? ahahahaha.

This is coming from the same person who just watched their neighbour steal their flower blubs without saying a single thing to them. I call lies.
    not all dishes are on foofs, mine is on a pole on ground, it is about five feet high, it is that way as it could not be put on roof and it is away from trees, easier to oil the whole dish once a year, so as it will last longer also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

not all dishes are on foofs, mine is on a pole on ground, it is about five feet high, it is that way as it could not be put on roof and it is away from trees, easier to oil the whole dish once a year, so as it will last longer also

Dish on a pole at 5 feet high? :pac: Oil the dish? :pac:
    You have no idea what you're talking about (haha)

Dish on a pole at 5 feet high? :pac: Oil the dish? :pac:
    You have no idea what you're talking about (haha)
    i put on a silicon coating on dish to prevent rust, it is obvious you do not live beside the sea, a salt coating on everything, even the hinges of windows have to be replaced, gates have to be made of wood and the hinges and latches just rust away, and because of the salt sprays the gates have to be treated at least every second year, a beautiful place to live by the sea, but like everywhere else it has its drawbacks, this is the major one, even cars dont last, i wash and give a good polish to my car every september hoping to keep rust at bay, but it hits that also, the pole five feet high is because if this thing were on roof, it would be blown down, as the force is bad sometimes, i lost a dish already because of that.
    you can also have only certain plants near sea, like olerari, new zealand flax, pampas grass and cordylines, i cannot have the beautiful pines and other ornamental trees, i miss that, as i had grown up inland, but it has its great ups once we all accept that

• Advertisement

i put on a silicon coating on dish to prevent rust, it is obvious you do not live beside the sea, a salt coating on everything, even the hinges of windows have to be replaced, gates have to be made of wood and the hinges and latches just rust away, and because of the salt sprays the gates have to be treated at least every second year, a beautiful place to live by the sea, but like everywhere else it has its drawbacks, this is the major one, even cars dont last, i wash and give a good polish to my car every september hoping to keep rust at bay, but it hits that also, the pole five feet high is because if this thing were on roof, it would be blown down, as the force is bad sometimes, i lost a dish already because of that.
    you can also have only certain plants near sea, like olerari, new zealand flax, pampas grass and cordylines, i cannot have the beautiful pines and other ornamental trees, i miss that, as i had grown up inland, but it has its great ups once we all accept that

that was a very polite and reasonable response to a troll. better than he deserved.

a neighbor of mine has his dish on a pole, and i do not live by the sea. i also sussed straight away that spraying it was for rust, which is not ridiculous at all.

that was a very polite and reasonable response to a troll. better than he deserved.

a neighbor of mine has his dish on a pole, and i do not live by the sea. i also sussed straight away that spraying it was for rust, which is not ridiculous at all.

Im a troll!? :eek:
    jesus, wake up. If you believe all that you need your head examined. A bloody ten year old could see the story was all sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I agree completely .

Im a troll!? :eek:
    jesus, wake up. If you believe all that you need your head examined. A bloody ten year old could see the story was all sh*te.

right.. of course it was.

i am quickly learning what this forum is all about. someone says something, and inevitably within moments someone replies with "that story is 100% complete bull****e!"

if it was, jokes on me. but i'm inclined to believe him.

...i am quickly learning what this forum is all about. someone says something, and inevitably within moments someone replies with "that story is 100% complete bull****e!"

No argument there. Alot of people on here think everything is BS. But at the same time believe other, absolute sh*ite. But ....
    if it was, jokes on me. but i'm inclined to believe him.

I think the whole story is BS. Just reeks of it. But thats my opinion. And you have yours. So tomato - toMATO :pac: (lets be honest, does it matter. only a forum after all) but theres a difference between a troll and someone thinking its BS and also a difference from the typical boards.ie as*hole who thinks everything is a lie. (im in the middle :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No argument there. Alot of people on here think everything is BS. But at the same time believe other, absolute sh*ite. But ....

I think the whole story is BS. Just reeks of it. But thats my opinion. And you have yours. So tomato - toMATO :pac: (lets be honest, does it matter. only a forum after all) but theres a difference between a troll and someone thinking its BS and also a difference from the typical boards.ie as*hole who thinks everything is a lie. (im in the middle :P )

Really? Just because you haven't seen it with your own eyes? Neighbour across the road has a huge dish on the side of the house about 6 feet off the ground, must take a photo tomorrow. Another one out the road has it on a tree outside the house.

lighterguy, the reality is you have never lived by the sea, i was brought up inland, when i went to live by sea, i had to learn to live with salt spray on windows, if you lived by sea you would understand what i am saying, after a windy night, there is a whitish layer on outside of window glass, which dries in and it takes a nice bit of elbow grease to shift, also these dishes dont last long unless a person spray them with a silicon oil which protects them and save us having to replace every five years, they just melt, the last one that rusted just fell off wall, as the piece on back got too weak to hold the dish, that was 2oo hundred euro out of my pocket to replace, we have to replace gate hinges more often, my lawnmower has a nice bit of rust on it also, it is another thing i spray with oil to make it last longer also hinges of windows i actually put machinery grease to try to hold them, and then there is the wind, on evenings of even medium wind we have to watch the doors of cars, as about ten yrs ago when i opened the door of car, it swung back of my hand, and it buttled the hinge of door, and as i say the dish is on a pole for the purpose of it not being sent flying in a storm, i live about fifty metres from cliffs, nothing to shelter, just have to live with elements, but i still love it, as the beach happens to be fifty meters from house also,
    what i have said is not lies, it is fact, and if you lived by sea as i do, you would understand what i say, but if a person live in a built up area miles from shore, then i can understand why you do not understand, but dont call me a bul****ter, and liar

for people reading all this ... i'm the troll? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nobody cares!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yep.

This discussion has been closed.