Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

face1990 wrote: »
    You drink coke by the pint?!

Yes, saves trips to the bar.
    pbowenroe wrote: »
    an brog is your favourite bar? is it the only one you've been to?:D

Yep, great bar, perfect atmosphere where everyone is relaxed and never a fight. And besides it's cheap as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

yeah, can't go wrong with 3 euro pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

You want stingy? Watch Deal or No Deal contestants that lose "harshly"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I was off drink for 3 weeks, and my favourite bar which does 3 euro pints until 11 at night, was charging €5.20 for a pint of coke! :confused: And not even a full pint at that. Still, I am back on drink tomorrow and I still love the place.
    a pint of coke is 2 bottles in most pubs and they charge by the bottle. them small bottles are 2.50 ish in most pubs which is the RRP on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

garv123 wrote: »
    a pint of coke is 2 bottles in most pubs and they charge by the bottle. them small bottles are 2.50 ish in most pubs which is the RRP on them.

RRP? What's that?

Soft drinks prices are obscene and unjustifiable. Anyone doing what they can to avoid paying for them is being smart, not stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Gophur wrote: »
    RRP? What's that?.

Recommended retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Gophur wrote: »
    RRP? What's that?

Soft drinks prices are obscene and unjustifiable. Anyone doing what they can to avoid paying for them is being smart, not stingy.
    Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Recommended retail price.

^^ as said above

when working in the pub on busy nights you'd find more bottles of coke in the toilets than nagins

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I was outside a nightclub at then end of the night a few years back with my then boyfriend. He asked for a lend of a fiver off me, which I gave him. He then proceeded to buy a rose from one of those romanian women in the steet to give to me.... The worst part was that he didnt think there was anything wrong with this! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I was outside a nightclub at then end of the night a few years back with my then boyfriend. He asked for a lend of a fiver off me, which I gave him. He then proceeded to buy a rose from one of those romanian women in the steet to give to me.... The worst part was that he didnt think there was anything wrong with this! :eek:

:pac::pac::pac: I love his style, now thats a man who knows how to romance a woman :D, pay for her own bloody roses :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

There wasn't anything wrong with doing that. He only loaned the money off you, as long as he repaid you then he was paying for that rose himself.

He put himself into debt to you in order to get you a gift, presumably you got your money back plus you got the gift. That is pretty much the exact opposite of stingy. The poor bloke tries to make a nice gesture and gets mocked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

There wasn't anything wrong with doing that. He only loaned the money off you, as long as he repaid you then he was paying for that rose himself.

He put himself into debt to you in order to get you a gift, presumably you got your money back plus you got the gift. That is pretty much the exact opposite of stingy. The poor bloke tries to make a nice gesture and gets mocked for it.

...And so he should get mocked for it. If you can't afford it, don't f^cking buy it...actually have more respect for him if he dropped the hand...:cool:

...And so he should get mocked for it. If you can't afford it, don't f^cking buy it...actually have more respect for him if he dropped the hand...:cool:

Obviously he shouldn't have bought it for all the thanks it got him, he spends his own money on a gift and gets criticised for it as being stingy!

Obviously he shouldn't have bought it for all the thanks it got him, he spends his own money on a gift and gets criticised for it as being stingy!

It wasn't his money

It wasn't his money

If he paid her back, which I assume he did as she said he loaned it, then yes it was his. He was free to spend it on whatever he liked and he decided to spend it on her.

Are you being serious? Ridiculous argument, he borrowed the money to buy her the rose so it all happened in the same night therefore he had NOT paid her back, it was her money.

Are you being serious? Ridiculous argument, he borrowed the money to buy her the rose so it all happened in the same night therefore he had NOT paid her back, it was her money.

Ultimately he ended up €5 worse off and she ended up €0 down but with a gift. Explain how, by any definition, he was being stingy?

She would have bought herself a rose if she wanted one. It wasn't a gift, she paid for it! She was a fiver down, how do you not get that?

She would have bought herself a rose if she wanted one. It wasn't a gift, she paid for it! She was a fiver down, how do you not get that?

You do understand the concept of a loan, don't you? She didn't just give him the money, he borrowed it with both people understanding that the money would be repaid in full. When a bank gives somebody a loan they don't just write off the debt as soon as the money has been handed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

IMO,
    The whole gesture of a rose is you buying it and giving it to someone. By him asking for money to pay for it, it tarnishes the gesture.

Is it him being stingy? a debate could be formed sure. He might of been foolish and didnt realise by asking he takes away from the gesture ... or look at it another way. He was on a night out. Did he really not have a fiver in his pocket? how was he going to get home if he was potless?

So I wouldnt put it past him (or anyone) wanting to buy a flower (to try and butter a girl up, aka try and get some sex) but think to themselves i dont want to pay for the flower / or give those 'romanian scum' a fiver! ... So some would say "here love, can i borrow a fiver? i'll give it back to you" - with no intention of giving it back. Sure most normal non-stingy people wouldnt have the neck to ask for the money back in this situation :P

Totally off topic and we're going to have to agree to disagree...time for snoozey snooze. I think he was a stingey f^ck, you don't...I can be pretty certain me and you will never have to deal with this together (you're not my type :p).

Pretty sure you are mad after me though!

• Advertisement

I think he was a stingey f^ck, you don't...I can be pretty certain me and you will never have to deal with this together (you're not my type ).

Gimme the lend of €5, I'll get you a lovely rose and you'll soon change your mind :).

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Romance and spontaneity eh?
    What scum!

:confused:

Sounds like he dodged a bullet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Why the hell does every story in here have to be dissected to death?!?!

Could there not be a rule where you could only post if you have a stingy story as the nit-picking that has gone on in here has totally ruined what was an excellent thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

s_carnage wrote: »
    Could there not be a rule where you could only post if you have a stingy story as the nit-picking that has gone on in here has totally ruined what was an excellent thread.

Well...there isn't.

Until there is, we have a right :o

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Lanaier wrote: »
    Romance and spontaneity eh?
    What scum!

:confused:

Sounds like he dodged a bullet to me.

Ya its really romantic to be bought treats with your own money :rolleyes: ... especially when your're a poor student. He had loads of his own money as well!

I paid for everything for this guy and he never paid me back for the rose or anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭okeanes

i was drinking out my bottle walking home from school bout 2 years ago . with my jurnal in my hand i had no bag . i asked him can i put it in his bag and he said you can , both of them in my bag for 50 cent . 30 for my journal and 20 for my bottle i gave it to him but how stingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Ya its really romantic to be bought treats with your own money :rolleyes: ... especially when your're a poor student. He had loads of his own money as well!

I paid for everything for this guy and he never paid me back for the rose or anything else!

Be thankful you didn't marry him and let it go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

okeanes wrote: »
    i was drinking out my bottle walking home from school bout 2 years ago . with my jurnal in my hand i had no bag . i asked him can i put it in his bag and he said you can , both of them in my bag for 50 cent . 30 for my journal and 20 for my bottle i gave it to him but how stingy

What school was this? I can't make head nor tail of what you wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

wayfarers wrote: »

I'll attempt to translate:

I was drinking out of a bottle while walking home from school about two years ago. I had my journal in my hand and I had no bag in which to put it. I asked him [my stingy friend] if I could put the journal in his bag and he said I could put both the journal and the bottle in his bag but that I would have to pay 50c, 30c for the journal and 20c for the bottle. I gave him the money and put the journal and bottle in his bag but I perceived his demand for monetary compensation for carrying said items as being stingy.

Is that close enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

wayfarers wrote: »

It's fairly simple to work out. Maybe go back and read it slower.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement