Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Yes simple to work out but you have to admit it was written extremely poorly.
    On a phone perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

After a night out on the town, two of my friends decided they would get a pizza together and would pay half each.

When the pizza was ready they went to pay at the counter, one friend got out his half while the other whipped out a 50% off any pizza voucher from the back of a receipt and said that's for my half. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

okeanes wrote: »
    i was drinking out my bottle walking home from school bout 2 years ago . with my jurnal in my hand i had no bag . i asked him can i put it in his bag and he said you can , both of them in my bag for 50 cent . 30 for my journal and 20 for my bottle i gave it to him but how stingy
    Stay in school, kids.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

garv123 wrote: »
    a pint of coke is 2 bottles in most pubs and they charge by the bottle. them small bottles are 2.50 ish in most pubs which is the RRP on them.
    Is the RRP for 2 Litres of coke €2.09 or €2.15 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

even i understood that post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

DupsTheKid wrote: »
    After a night out on the town, two of my friends decided they would get a pizza together and would pay half each.

When the pizza was ready they went to pay at the counter, one friend got out his half while the other whipped out a 50% off any pizza voucher from the back of a receipt and said that's for my half. :pac:

Thats not stingy, thats genius !!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

swallow your spit when thirsty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Probably. The small pub bottles are absolute robbery in all fairness. They pay 50cent per small bottle and make €2 euro profit off them. ( I was nosey one day bringing in the delieveries and read the slips with prices on them :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

DupsTheKid wrote: »

all those vouchers must be produced or mentioned when ordering, so I call shennanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Probably. The small pub bottles are absolute robbery in all fairness. They pay 50cent per small bottle and make €2 euro profit off them. ( I was nosey one day bringing in the delieveries and read the slips with prices on them :cool:)

Not €2 profit when you take overheads etc into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

phill106 wrote: »
    all those vouchers must be produced or mentioned when ordering, so I call shennanigans!
    Maybe it was when they were ordering so. I had a few drinks down and this is going back a few months. Either way, I remember one friend with the voucher saying that's for his half. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

It's fairly simple to work out. Maybe go back and read it slower.

Maybe I appreciate a bit of old school punctuation when reading a 'yarn'.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Then they return the glass bottle and get a rebate for that and the same for the plastic case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

A friend of a friend when sharing a square of his Yorkie bar used to break off the end squares because he thought there was more chocolate in that square than in the middle squares!
    I mean, how much extra chocolate could there be!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Not €2 profit when you take overheads etc into account.
    What people really, really resent is that for many years publicans have been using excise duty as an excuse for the price of drink and yet the highest profit margin is on the cheapest drinks. There is no excise duty on soft drinks and the supermarkets charge three or four times the price per litre for beers.

Pure gouging. And I have very little respect for the publicans who should reduce the markup to the same level as alcoholic drinks.

Many's a time when I've bought a pint when I really wanted a soft drink because I just couldn't justify the cost.

Blackcurrant is usually watered down too much but it's price shows what sort of margin they should be charging on the minerals.

Then they return the glass bottle and get a rebate for that and the same for the plastic case.

in some cases yes, all the coke and diet coke went into the bin where i worked. happened for 7 up and club orange though.
    Theres a smaller looking bottle with thinner glass which are dumped, theres a bigger looking bottle with thicker glass thats kept. same goes for coors and bud.
    depends where you order from.

oh a stingy not about where i used to work.. After matches and stuff we'd head to the pub for the night to celebrate or drown the sorrows. about 7 or 8 of the lads on the team are under 18 and they'd be there with their parents and ask for a pint of mi wadi. before having a few drinks and crisps and paying for pool and songs on the jukebox. the owner wsnt happy with them drinking mi wadi so she stopped ordering it so they'd have to buy soft drinks or cider:pac: so now theres no mi wadi of any sort in the pub for people to have as a mixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

My poor girlfriend, I probably shouldn't post this, she knows my username, but I'm sure she won't see it.

Once she took me out for dinner for my birthday, which is very generous of her and very much appreciated. I said I'd leave the tip, and as the service was very good I left more then I usually would.

All fine, until my girlfriend saw what I was leaving and to my absolute astonishment said "You're giving that much?" and picked up about half of it and put it in her pocket. :eek: :D

We still laugh about it now, and she gets embarrassed, but she still did it! TBF she's not generally stingy, a bit thrifty sometimes but more in a sensible way than in a mean way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

^ welcome to the doghouse. Population: You.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭veryangryman

whatsamsn wrote: »
    ^ welcome to the doghouse. Population: You.

Mmhmmm. The fact that he sugar-coated the reply just made it worse. Women are vultures for that. RIP your b0llocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My poor girlfriend, I probably shouldn't post this, she knows my username, but I'm sure she won't see it.

Once she took me out for dinner for my birthday, which is very generous of her and very much appreciated. I said I'd leave the tip, and as the service was very good I left more then I usually would.

All fine, until my girlfriend saw what I was leaving and to my absolute astonishment said "You're giving that much?" and picked up about half of it and put it in her pocket. :eek: :D

We still laugh about it now, and she gets embarrassed, but she still did it! TBF she's not generally stingy, a bit thrifty sometimes but more in a sensible way than in a mean way.

your ex girlfriend now...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smuckie

I went out with a fella a few years ago who would head up to Tesco every night to buy dinner, but only after 7pm because that's when they put the yellow 'REDUCED' stickers on products about to expire. He would only buy food from this section, and when they didn't have anything at all, he would buy something else (never spending over €3) and lament for the whole night at how much money he could have saved had it been about to go off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

My friend's boyfriend at the time borrowed €80 from her while they were in town as he wanted to get some clothes for himself. A month later he gave her her birthday present, a €99 phone and said that's the money I owe you too. I'm sure that he pocketed the free credit too as they were the same network and she got none with the phone. He then had the cheek to show his friends her new phone while they were in the pub with a look what I bought her attitude. The poor girl was too embarassed to tell his friends the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

For Christmas one year bought the ex a cheap ring, <10 quid, from Argos. Got a box from Weir & Sons on Grafton St. slipped in the ring and looked like a great boyfriend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

For Christmas one year bought the ex a cheap ring, <10 quid, from Argos. Got a box from Weir & Sons on Grafton St. slipped in the ring and looked like a great boyfriend :pac:
    You are a hero:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How long did it take for the other box to snap shut?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

About 20 years ago my dad replaced all the radiators in our house. He put the old ones in the front garden while he was fitting the new ones. A few hours later a Traveller arrives and asks can he have them. My dad reckons it'll save him a trip to the dump, and says ok. So yer man stands there for a few seconds, thinking, then goes:

"Give us 50 quid for taking them away, so."

Needless to say, my dad invited him to have sexual congress with himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I was on my way home recently, and just on a narrow dangerous bend there was an '09 beemer with it's drivers door and boot wide open, facing me and on my side of the road - it just looked abandoned, no hazards, nothing. While trying to decide if I should take a chance over taking it on the bend and risking meeting something flying around on the other side, I was perplexed as to what someone would abandon their car for in such a dangerous spot.

I rolled down the windows to hear if there was any oncoming traffic, and took my chance. Well just as I had gotten around the bend I see this scruffy looking man carrying spuds back in the direction of the abandoned car. Where I live there would be a lot of agricultural machinery about, and obviously a trailer had off-loaded a few spuds as it approached the bend.

I couldn't believe someone would be that scabby and put other people in danger all for the sake of a few spuds =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I know this lad who puts his car into neutral when going down hills "to save petrol". Needless to say everyone thinks he's a gobshite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I know this lad who puts his car into neutral when going down hills "to save petrol". Needless to say everyone thinks he's a gobshite.

A fella I was in school with would turn off the engine at traffic lights for the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement