Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    unless you're making a comment about the drug use of the average 98fm listener?
    That's the initial meaning I got from the comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yeah. I find it very rare to come across a couple that don't do that.

We don't. As was said above. If we did that I'd expect to just get one drink between us. That's awful.

On that note, a friend of mine recently moved out of a flat where he was living with a couple. The reason he moved out is the scabbiness of the couple. They divided all the bills in two not in three. They claimed they had showers together and did everything else together so they only used the power/gas etc of 1 person so he had to pay half of each bill, even though there was there people licing there! How scabby is that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

watna wrote: »
    They divided all the bills in two not in three. They claimed they had showers together and did everything else together so they only used the power/gas etc of 1 person so he had to pay half of each bill, even though there was there people licing there! How scabby is that?!

I hope they at least paid their fair share of the delouser...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Depends on the store.. but the Tesco on Baggot Street (towards St. Stephens Green) has most of their cameras clustered at the Q\Payment area, rest of the store isn't as heavily covered. I watched a woman unscrew the lid from a pot of moisturiser and carve out a good plug of it with her hand, then apply it at a relaxed pace in the aisle. She sampled and fiddled with 3 other products, removing the foil lids\seals from tubes and tubs. All facial products, bought nothing.

Saw me gawking and just gave a **** eating grin, back to the task at hand.. Products sealed and placed back on shelf afterwards.

Just remembered, I saw a doddery old fecker help himself to 2 Q-tips once and replace the pack, walking down the aisle mining for gold. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 localnutjob

watched gob smacked as a german gent in crete tried to bargain down the supermarket shop keep on a daily paper cos the first page edge was torn

he did everything bar call in the luftwaffe ....

....and got told to leave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I hope they at least paid their fair share of the delouser...

Jesus. I'm at home sick from work and I didn't realise I was that incoherent! :D

Time for more drugs mehtinks, or maybe less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

All this stingyness .There is no such thing as a free lunch .:(

Unless you root through the back ally bins of food outlets .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

just remembered this one has to be the best by far.....
    was walking around the supermarket i worked in when i found an empty vodka bottle on the floor just outside the offie brought it down to the security office and they went over the tapes to figure out how it got there next thing up on the screen you see an old woman leaving the offie area with the bottle of vodka in her basket then she stops takes out a flask she picked up from the houseware aisle pours the vodka in and goes to the checkout to pay for it.
    €5 for a cheap flask and a 1ltr bottle of vodka. more theft than being mean but what a woman, she was about 70:eek::eek: and the manager was standing just round the corner from her while she was doing it so extra laughs when we seen that!!:D:D:D

dont trust anyone over the age of 60!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

Went for a main course in a fairly cheap (€12-15 or so) Italian restaurant with a few friends (about 8 20 yr olds) last year. Was a spur of the moment thing on the way home from a match in Croke Park. One of my friends didn't order anything as he claimed he wasn't hungry. We hadn't eaten in about 4 hours. Anyway, we're all finishing up and he starts picking at scraps...even eating half a lasagne my girlfriend left over and giving out to her for sending back a dish with a few mouldy chips in it!

Rinse and repeat a similar scenario about a million times. Wouldn't mind only he has more money than the rest of us put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 老大

Great Thread !!!!

- used to work with a guy years ago who raided the ashtray in the canteen.
    He pocketed all the stubs and used the left over bit of tobacco to make his own 'special' mixed brand of fags...

-my dad worked for loads of hotels etc and after weddings he would bring home wedding cake for us for a treat, but sometimes he would also collect scraps for a 'doggy bag' mostly meat etc
    but we were fed on it and it tasted grand (alot of people usually took one bite and left the rest!) so aftercutting the bite out u were left with a nice breast of chicken / steak / turkey ect..

-knew a guy who needed a new bed and took one from a skip one night (it had been raining ....yuk!!

have loads more but mind is blank... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

S.I.R wrote: »
    my dog eats Spar cat food all the time

Big whoop :rolleyes:

Word of warning, there is too much protein in catfood for dogs. It could damage his liver and kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When I was in first year, I lived in a house with 16 other first years.

One of these was absolutely whistling cuckoo. She was vegan (and never shut up about it). She owned exactly one outfit. It was a skirt and top. When it got cold, we all thought, oh well at least she's going to have to change her clothes! Nope. She just wore jeans. With the skirt over, and the same top. wtf.

At one point she bought a 20kg bag of corn on the cob. Despite the fact that we only had four burners on the stove, she managed to use at least 10 different pots boiling it all and didn't clean a single one. She then filled up ALL FOUR of the fridge's freezers with her stupid corn. She expected the 16 of us to go without freezer space for god knows how long until she finished the corn! In return she said we could have some.

At hallowe'en, we carved a bunch of pumpkins. She got us to put the guts into a big pot in the middle of the table, which she then cooked up into some vile cooked pumpkin thing. Then, she put it all into the vegetable drawer of one of the fridges. Without tupperware or bowls or anything, just slop! right into the drawer. Within a week there was a moldy bucket of orange sludge in that fridge.

She was always bragging about how little money she spent on food. Well no ****! She would buy one or two ingredients for something and steal/beg the rest off everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Xiney wrote: »
    When I was in first year, I lived in a house with 16 other first years.
    Good Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

A friend did the boiling up kilograms and kilograms of stuff (though it was beans) and we just poured the beans into his room and thought he'd get rid of them before they defrosted, no, he just left them in the corner of his room. For three months. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I lived in a house with 7 other people and I thought that was a little cramped!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I have a friend who goes into the Tesco car park any time hes passing and looks for any abandoned trolleys so that he can get the euro out of em:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Well i admit im a big thight with money and so what i ask you. For example i will never go to the cinema at night just during the day so i can get it cheaper, will never buy coke or popcorn there will buy it at the nearest tesco beforehand. I will never pay for a bag at the supermarket never even if i have to walk 2 miles with shooping in my arms.
    Also i will never ever get a taxi home on nights out i always walk home and that takes me a hour and a half to 2 hours, i just dont beleive in wasting money on taxis, before i go home i might get some chips which i haggle for in the chiper usually only pay 1 euro when they are 2 euro, and if i go to the local spar or centra and want wedges i dont ask for a portion i ask for 10 wedges which i get for 80 cent always the same price because they know me and laught at it, wheras the person who orders a portion gets maybe 12 to 13 wedges and pays 2 euro for it so basically im making a good saving.

I wpnt argue with any of that except haggling in shops/chippers etc

yes i realise its not illegal but that is the nmost frustrating thing for staff

if you cant afford it or dont want to pay full price then dont ask for it

if i was the boss of the people who gave you chips for €1 when they were priced at€2 i would fire them
    Absolutely right. I have to admire the neck involved in the wedge arrangement - I'd be mortified. You're dead right, keep it up and sooner or later the rest of us will get some sense!

no,if something is too dear just dont buy it

haggling is for car boot sales not for restaurants/chippers/retail outlets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    this thread is currently being read out on 98fm...he has just read out about 6 posts word for work.

he is pretending they are texts from users the git.....

:rolleyes:

I do this myself on community radio but I always credit the source and never pretend they're texts. Name and shame the presenters in question. Was it the Inbox show with Joan Lea & Paul Connolly? Lazy LAZY radio by whoever it was,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mobius42 wrote: »
    Good Lord.
    I lived in a house with 7 other people and I thought that was a little cramped!!!

It was a REALLY big house. 12 rooms, 6 bathrooms. One kitchen, but at least we had 4 fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulcos

this thread is awesomely funny and equally sad in parts but must be finished before i can sleep.stingyness is a disease and stops people truly living.When you worry what it costs it ceases to be fun!
    Once i worked with 2 bros who would eat everyones sweets and drink everyones drink whilst buying you guessed it F**K All.Now this job was a very physical job(marquee assembly) so we all clubbed together and bought choccy laxitives and dosed drinks with the same and let nature work her magic.What can i say it was glorious,i`ve had less fun at firework displays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Saskia wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I do this myself on community radio but I always credit the source and never pretend they're texts. Name and shame the presenters in question. Was it the Inbox show with Joan Lea & Paul Connolly? Lazy LAZY radio by whoever it was,

I believe the term is 'passing off'.

If you are going to read out a post on the radio, you should credit boards.ie, but you should at least also have the courtesy to run it past the poster in question.

There used to be a Today FM DJ who would read out PI posts for sh*ts and giggles actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

latchyco wrote: »
    They seriously are as i discovered whlie living over there for a period .Dutch people imo tend to only want to do things for ya if there is something in it for them .... Generally speaking .They aint good at spending their money but will gladly spend yours if offered .

Someone in Amsterdam wanted to charge us for directions, not a bum either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Great thread.

I once knew a lad from Cavan who would cook his own rice then order a curry from the chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I see there are a lot of posts about stingy Germans, and having lived there for a few years I can say that it's true!

Being careful with your money is definitely a part of German culture, although many take things too far. Most Germans hoard as much cash as they can in savings accounts, so much so that many savings accounts won't even pay you interest on your first €1000.

A friend of mine likes to go around pubs with other friends of his, playing table football, but none of them ever buy a drink. They'll happily spend the evening there, hogging the table and not spending a cent.

In Stansted Airport, waiting to check in for a flight to Dublin, he got a bit hungry since it was coming up to lunch time. Having never eaten in an airport before, he got a shock to see that a pack of sandwiches was £3 or whatever. He said that he'd rather go hungry than pay for the sandwiches. We had a few hours of travelling/waiting around ahead of us.

There's a big chain of electronics shops over there that ran with the slogan "Geiz ist Geil" - roughly translated as "Stinginess is cool". The slogan caught on so much that it ran for years and became a part of German popular culture. You can see/hear the slogan anywhere. It's a mentality for many, many people.

Another German friend of mine comes to lunch with us most days, but will never ever buy a drink with his meal. His critique on a restaurant is based purely on price rather than quality. You'll only hear about the price, never about whether the food was any good. I've seen him give many a 10c tip as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

sceptre wrote: »
    The what? Some couples regard themselves as a single link where there's a round?

Seen that a lot. Guy pays the round, the girl keeps her wallet in her pocket but is not bothered to drink Bacardi Coke all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Had totally forgotten about another one until I was re-reading through some of the house share ones. I remember a gang of us renting a house in Dublin when we all moved up to work there. There was 3 double rooms and a box room so we divide the rent so that the 3 doubles paid equal amounts and the box room was a bit cheaper.

One of the lads (in a double) moved his Gf in a while later and next thing she was demanding that his rent should be decreased as he now had to share his bedroom!

She went on to say that bills should still be divided in 4 rather than 5 as she was paying half of his share. Her thinking was that when they were making dinner etc, she cooked meals for the 2 of them and so it wasnt like 2 individials having dinner etc.

Finally got through to her the concept of a share when all 5 of us were home one evening watching telly. I was like a bear with a sore head on account of work stuff and then having to listen to her antics so I declared that as they were paying 1/4 of the bills between the 2 of them that both of them couldnt watch telly at the same time and they would have to divide their
    viewing time accordingly. (made sense in my head at the time and the others agreed as she was starting to annoy everyone)

Anyway she went off in a huff to her (sorry, his, or their) room sobbing if they both couldnt watch telly neither of them would.

Luckily I knew my mate far better than she did as there was football on at the time and I knew he wanted to watch the match, so he just shrugged his shoulders ... and told her he'd be up after the match :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I have absolutely no problem with anyone saying they're not getting into a round cause they can't afford it - that's not stingy, it's just common sense. It's the fockers who'll happily sit in on 6 or 7 rounds and then when it gets to them explain how broke they are...

H has been awfully close to his cousin all his life Cousin has been going out with this bint for about 4 years. Anyway, about 2 years ago we invited them (and their 2 year old son) down to ours for dinner. Neither of them drive, so I drove to Dublin to collect them. On the way back home, I was running short on petrol but hadn't brought my wallet with me. The girlfriend gives me a tenner. We get to our house. Neither of them has brought so much as a bottle of wine. No worries, we have loads in the house. It was actually really early in the day, so they have lunch AND dinner in our house, both with wine. At about 10pm the girlfriend says she's a bit sick of wine, do I have any vodka, so I give her that. The next morning, I cook breakfast, and H's cousin has to be in work early, so H drives him all the way back to Dublin (we live in Carlow), while the girlfriend hangs around our house and ends up staying for lunch again. I drop her back to Dublin that afternoon. So, after two days, an overnight, 4 meals, all their drink and transport to and from their door, what are her last words to me as she's getting out of the car???

"Do you have that tenner I gave you yesterday?"
    sweet jesus:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Someone in Amsterdam wanted to charge us for directions, not a bum either.
    Why does that not surprise me . Compared to other EU countries they are not big on putting their hands in their pockets to help charities either .

But then we have all heard the term
    '' going dutch '' ( buy your own ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scoopscribbler

A mate of mine used to buy Silk Cut ultra smokes from the shop knowing that none of us would ever ask him for one (cause you may as well just be breathing normally). When he would actually go to smoke a cigarette, he'd take out rolling papers and roll half the cigarette into a rollie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When I was on my J1 in Boston about 10 yrs ago, I was behind a security desk in a bank building. I often worked night shifts with this very nice guy from Somalia who was also a practising Muslim.

Often I would order pizza for myself but I would intentionally have pepperoni as I knew the Muslim guy couldnt have pork products and he could not have any slices...all for me...:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement