Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tmoney88

One of my friends is loaded, parents own a few houses and a large b&b, but are probably the stingiest people you'd meet.
    One of the better stories about him was that while he was away for the summer on a J1 his parents converted his room into a B&B room, (makes sense) anyway when he returned, the B&B season was still ongoing so he was made sleep in the sitting room on a matress for the next month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

bicardi19 wrote: »
    Couldn't resist.

to PM's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Tmoney88 wrote: »
    One of my friends is loaded, parents own a few houses and a large b&b, but are probably the stingiest people you'd meet.
    One of the better stories about him was that while he was away for the summer on a J1 his parents converted his room into a B&B room, (makes sense) anyway when he returned, the B&B season was still ongoing so he was made sleep in the sitting room on a matress for the next month!

i know a simulsr family. several houses but mean as the day is long.. re using teabags, watsring down fizzy drinks.. generally miserable.. my friend has all the stories and is an aa poster..ill get him involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Was in the local hardware shop today and they have a deal to match any price with local businesses and the woman in front of me in the queue was buying a bag of dog food and asked how much it was the lad serving told her it was 1.99 so she said it was 1.79 in the shop across town and he said he would have to phone them to check the price if she really wanted and she asked him to do it. Was gonna give her the twenty cent myself but thought fcuk her scabby btich

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

donalg1 wrote: »
    Was in the local hardware shop today and they have a deal to match any price with local businesses and the woman in front of me in the queue was buying a bag of dog food and asked how much it was the lad serving told her it was 1.99 so she said it was 1.79 in the shop across town and he said he would have to phone them to check the price if she really wanted and she asked him to do it. Was gonna give her the twenty cent myself but thought fcuk her scabby btich

Store makes a policy you follow up on it.. not scabby at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Tmoney88 wrote: »

Myself and the missus went up to Virginia to see the Waterboys at Hollowe'en, everywhere was booked out. One of the hotels gave us a number (I'm sure it was a sister of the hotel receptionist)

So, we ring the number, and book a double room.

Fast forward to the weekend of the gig, we head up and try to check in, no one home.

Ring the mobile number, she says she had to bring her daughter to dancing.

a while later a lad turns up, lets us in, doesn't have a key to give us.

We try to hang up our stuff, the wardrobe is full of kids clothes. En-suit has personal toiletries.

The room was decorated so neutrally that I'm sure she regularly rented it out as a b&b room, and just bunked her daughter in with someone else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

hypermuse wrote: »

Yeah, but for 20 cents like.
    Its not like something has 20 euro in the difference. But even then, if its cheaper somewhere else and she knows its cheaper there. Why not just go there? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

LighterGuy wrote: »
    But even then, if its cheaper somewhere else and she knows its cheaper there. Why not just go there? :confused:

That is the whole point of those deals... Rather than suffering the inconvenience of going to another store, the customer can stay where they are and still make the saving. The business makes the sale and the customer is content to return to the store, knowing that they are not losing money over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

RichieC wrote: »

i know a simulsr family. several houses but mean as the day is long.. re using teabags, watsring down fizzy drinks.. generally miserable.. my friend has all the stories and is an aa poster..ill get him involved.
    An odd thing to say the day before the shortest day of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Sitting beside three office workers in a restaurant, they pay bill and between them leave 10 euro tip, one guy tells the other two lads to head on as he wants to go to the toilet, they leave he gets up and takes ten euro from table drops back one euro coin and leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Worked at a restaurant a long time ago and two couples came in looking for a table of 4.
    Lovely big meal, loads of wine, ended up with a big bill. One guy puts the full bill on his credit card and takes cash from the other guy for half.
    No problem there except just after leaving the guy comes back in to get his ' jacket', tells me that he just remembered he had a voucher, could I cancel the credit card transaction and he would pay with the voucher and cash.
    It was a masterstroke, never told your man about the voucher and got his free meal. He left his jacket behind to cover his re-entry to the restaurant and everything, sneaky tight bastard. Handsome tip then to keep my mouth shut as its a small town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cazzzzz wrote: »
    I'd like to think I'm a pretty generous person but, whenever I'm driving from Dublin down to Cork if someone gets a lift with me, something towards petrol (a fiver would even do) is always nice. Really annoys me when people are like 'I've no money, I'll sort you out next time' and then we stop in a petrol station and they buy food and stuff for the journey....grrrrr

Mates or hitchikers?
    I notice with mates its the ones with no cars that never pay. Still think they're going on holidays with their parents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

billybudd wrote: »
    Sitting beside three office workers in a restaurant, they pay bill and between them leave 10 euro tip, one guy tells the other two lads to head on as he wants to go to the toilet, they leave he gets up and takes ten euro from table drops back one euro coin and leaves.

that's capitalism buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Had a spanish exchange student staying with us when I was 15.

I didn't particularly like him.

He took over the tv room every evening, helped himself to all my dvds.

So one night he had his feet up on the recliner watching one of my dvd's "batman begins", I walked in and took all the dvds and carried them out of the room in front of him.

My mum went mad at me, I guess it was pretty rude of me but at the same time he was a pr*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

pmcmahon wrote: »
    that's capitalism buddy.

No, pretty sure that's theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

billybudd wrote: »

That is shocking!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

One of my mates is a notorious round-shirker (along with being slow to pay you back for taxis, house bills, cinema tickets... everything really) with and would happily sit in the pub all night without going to the bar. Even if it's just the two of you, he'll sit there through the awkwardness of a pair of empty glasses until you just buy a second round.

Anyway, it got to the point where I felt bad manners befit bad manners and started drawing attention to his lack of reciprocity. Now, when it's his round I just tell him it's his turn to go to the bar (and I've noticed our mutual friends have started to do the same). At first I felt a bit of a p@@ck doing it and said it in a jokey way but now I don't care and I'm pretty forceful about it. I don't even think it embarrasses him but it's clear that he's pi@@ed off when he has to pay his share. I agree it's rude of me but I think it's ruder of him to assume I'm too thick to realise what he's doing and to happily freeload.

God, I could write a book based on how tight he is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

My mom will drive miles out of her way to avoid paying the toll on the M50,Tight bitch.

hypermuse wrote: »

Go through all that for twenty cent is extremely scabby and asking about it in public to save that much ridiculously scabby

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Go through all that for twenty cent is extremely scabby and asking about it in public to save that much ridiculously scabby
    Not if you're buying ten of them it aint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

lau1247 wrote: »
    I'm stumped.. how is this stingy??

Your friend is looking for a ticket to a match.. so in essence he will buy it off promoter, online or anyone..

the other friend had a ticket that he is willing to sell.. whether he won it or not is irrelevant.. why do you expect your friend to get it for free when the guy selling it would have sold it anyway in the first place..

the fact you said it was a great seat then cost price is probably more than fair..

I'd say 'some friend' for expecting ticket to be free, that's more stingy in its own right

It's stingy to charge your friend for something that you got for free. You don't make a profit from your friends. If you are lucky enough to win tickets for something and you offer to take a friend, there should be no mention of money really. If they want to buy you a pint or something to thank you for your generosity then that's fine. It's how friends treat each other...

Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness!!
    Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Had a spanish exchange student staying with us when I was 15.

I didn't particularly like him.

He took over the tv room every evening, helped himself to all my dvds.

So one night he had his feet up on the recliner watching one of my dvd's "batman begins", I walked in and took all the dvds and carried them out of the room in front of him.

My mum went mad at me, I guess it was pretty rude of me but at the same time he was a pr*ck.

:confused: Who is stingy in that situation? Looks to me like you were both just being rude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

My mom will drive miles out of her way to avoid paying the toll on the M50,Tight bitch.

Still, she did manage to raise such a pleasant son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Still, she did manage to raise such a pleasant son.

One thing I really resent about Ireland- so many people are all too comfortable calling their own mother a bitch. Anywhere I've ever travelled, you'd be publicly ostracised for saying something like that

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not if you're buying ten of them it aint.

She was buying 1

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noideaforaname

Put an empty chipper bag in one of my friends wheelie bins before and she told me to take it out because she didn't want it to fill up cos then she'd be buying a bin tag. TIGHT ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    One of my mates is a notorious round-shirker (along with being slow to pay you back for taxis, house bills, cinema tickets... everything really) with and would happily sit in the pub all night without going to the bar. Even if it's just the two of you, he'll sit there through the awkwardness of a pair of empty glasses until you just buy a second round.

Anyway, it got to the point where I felt bad manners befit bad manners and started drawing attention to his lack of reciprocity. Now, when it's his round I just tell him it's his turn to go to the bar (and I've noticed our mutual friends have started to do the same). At first I felt a bit of a p@@ck doing it and said it in a jokey way but now I don't care and I'm pretty forceful about it. I don't even think it embarrasses him but it's clear that he's pi@@ed off when he has to pay his share. I agree it's rude of me but I think it's ruder of him to assume I'm too thick to realise what he's doing and to happily freeload.

God, I could write a book based on how tight he is...

I don't get this.
    I know plenty of people like your friend who I won't ever go to a pub or anywhere with because of their meaness.
    If you step outside your door it almost always mean you will have to pay for something......why would you want to hang out with a mean person....that would put me off having anything to do with them.

Hate snobs, bullsh!tters and mean people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Why are people associating multiple home owners with being rich?

I didn't realise wealth was measured by the number of negative equity mortgages you held. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    One thing I really resent about Ireland- so many people are all too comfortable calling their own mother a bitch. Anywhere I've ever travelled, you'd be publicly ostracised for saying something like that

Tis a good job i'm not from Ireland then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

:confused: Who is stingy in that situation? Looks to me like you were both just being rude...

I was being stingy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Neighbour of my mothers, a notoriously tight git, was on his deathebed suffering from prostate cancer. One day, shortly before he croaked it, himself and the wife were discussing arrangements for his funeral. When she suggested booking a local pub for refreshments he says, 'fcuk that, let them buy their own sandwiches!'

True story - she told it herself on the day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement