Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Neighbour of my mothers, a notoriously tight git, was on his deathebed suffering from prostate cancer. One day, shortly before he croaked it, himself and the wife were discussing arrangements for his funeral. When she suggested booking a local pub for refreshments he says, 'fcuk that, let them buy their own sandwiches!'

True story - she told it herself on the day!

That's crazy - you'd think you would have more important matters to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭pavb2

Know of a chap who found a wheelchair in the attic, went downstairs and broke his son's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

pavb2 wrote: »
    Know of a chap who found a wheelchair in the attic, went downstairs and broke his son's back.

not even funny

• Registered Users Posts: 19 seanogwalsh

not even funny

HILARIOUS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    One thing I really resent about Ireland- so many people are all too comfortable calling their own mother a bitch. Anywhere I've ever travelled, you'd be publicly ostracised for saying something like that

One thing I admire about the Irish is our honestly. People can be terrible human beings, and that often includes mothers and fathers. It's just a fact of life unfortunately. I think it would be worse to pretend otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

tommy21 wrote: »
    That's crazy - you'd think you would have more important matters to consider.

Was 'half joking whole in earnest' type thing.

He was always a good man for the banter! ;)

juan.kerr wrote: »
    We have a couple of those Barnardos Sweets boxes at work where you put EUR2 into the box and take a bag of sweets. When they came to collect the money they discovered the box was EUR14 light. When they came the next time it was light again despite emails from HR.

One of my colleagues was telling me he caught one of the guys taking a couple of 2 litre bottles of milk from the Fridge and putting them into his bag before heading home.

The company gets takeaway food for us on payday. Same guy got called into HR for taking advantage.
    Sounds like where I work, we have exactly the same problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    True story - she told it herself on the day!

I wonder was that in the Pub meaning she overruled the hubbys wishes or were they all standing around in a Centra eating out of the self purchased plastic sambo packs?

My mom will drive miles out of her way to avoid paying the toll on the M50,Tight bitch.
    Totally pointless, she'll certainly pay more in petrol costs by doing that, it's only worth going through the town at about 5AM, then there's a small saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Tmoney88 wrote: »
    One of my friends is loaded, parents own a few houses and a large b&b, but are probably the stingiest people you'd meet.
    One of the better stories about him was that while he was away for the summer on a J1 his parents converted his room into a B&B room, (makes sense) anyway when he returned, the B&B season was still ongoing so he was made sleep in the sitting room on a matress for the next month!

Yeah Steve is an awful stingy cúnt!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

My father-in-law went into his local shop yesterday evening to get a few items, he also picked up a newspaper/magazine, it was €3.95 (written on the front page), but the shopkeeper charged him >>>> €4, when he questioned the €4, the shopkeeper said that it was 'his' price, and that he had "to make a living as well" !! :eek: (not even sure if this is legal!!).

My father-in-law went into his local shop yesterday evening to get a few items, he also picked up a newspaper/magazine, it was €3.95 (written on the front page), but the shopkeeper charged him >>>> €4, when he questioned the €4, the shopkeeper said that it was 'his' price, and that he had "to make a living as well" !! :eek: (not even sure if this is legal!!).
    A shop is not legally obliged to give change, but I would have told him where to stick "his price". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I was doing some Christmas shopping earlier, and I randomly remembered what my uncle used to give me as a gift - protein bars. I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

A shop is not legally obliged to give change, but I would have told him where to stick "his price". :mad:

:eek: WTF?

So if I hand in a €20 for a 75c pack of chewing gum, the dingbat behind the counter can tell me to F Off and I've no comeback??

I want to speak to the Ombudsman......or Consumer Affairs........ or Santa whoevers quicker.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Plazaman wrote: »
    :eek: WTF?

So if I hand in a €20 for a 75c pack of chewing gum, the dingbat behind the counter can tell me to F Off and I've no comeback??

I want to speak to the Ombudsman......or Consumer Affairs........ or Santa whoevers quicker.....

Im sure the shop would just not accept the €20 and have to say "correct change only" or similar. Beyond that it falls under theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Im sure the shop would just not accept the €20 and have to say "correct change only" or similar. Beyond that it falls under theft.

No when you hand a €20 note to pay for say €5 worth of goods, effectively you are creating a contract to pay €20 for the €5 worth of items. It's in the shops best interests, however, to give you you're change as it won't be long until they have no customers left.

Edit: It's been two years since I studied this and I've a mind like a sieve so I could be wrong but nearly sure that's the general jist of the contract between shop and customer.

It's just as a bookie has absolutely no obligation to pay you out your winnings, they do though as it's in their best interests business wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Totally pointless, she'll certainly pay more in petrol costs by doing that, it's only worth going through the town at about 5AM, then there's a small saving.

Thats what we tell her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

My mom will drive miles out of her way to avoid paying the toll on the M50,Tight bitch.

That's not tight, that's good thinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

yesno1234 wrote: »
    No when you hand a €20 note to pay for say €5 worth of goods, effectively you are creating a contract to pay €20 for the €5 worth of items. It's in the shops best interests, however, to give you you're change as it won't be long until they have no customers left.

Edit: It's been two years since I studied this and I've a mind like a sieve so I could be wrong but nearly sure that's the general jist of the contract between shop and customer.

It's just as a bookie has absolutely no obligation to pay you out your winnings, they do though as it's in their best interests business wise

I learnt something very different in Business studies, I always remember it well because i was surprsied it was so regulated.
    The chapter showed that the shop DOES have to give you change, AND has to accept the legal tender of the country. However it does not have to accept 20euro when paying for an item of less than 50cents, and 50euro for an item of 1 euro etc. They are legally obliged to accept amounts and return appropriate tender change once the note handed in tender fell within the purchase price items range.

My lecturer then went on to say that if you really didnt want to accept a 50 if the item is like 1.02, all you have to do is drop the price to 99 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

It's stingy to charge your friend for something that you got for free. You don't make a profit from your friends.

Whether you got it for free or not is irrelevant.. he had ticket, therefore he could have sold it to anyone in Ireland other than this friend, he'll be 80 quid better off and on top of that he won't being labelled as 'stingy'.. If anything he benefited the guy he sold the ticket to given it was a great seat and at cost price.

If you want to get technical, yes he made a profit with respect to how he obtained the ticket but after that it is consider his property and he didn't make a profit with respect to his intention to sell it in the first place by selling at cost price..

If you are lucky enough to win tickets for something and you offer to take a friend, there should be no mention of money really. If they want to buy you a pint or something to thank you for your generosity then that's fine. It's how friends treat each other...

Well you sir are very charitable type or an extremely good friend to whoever befriended you. (
    *Sarcasm*
    ). Going by your logic he stand to lose 80 quid for just being your friend.. if he shut his mouth and sell to other he is 80 quid better off..

Hypothetically if you go on winning streak and won two cars worth 20K each (You already have two cars at home so will be looking to offload).. Me being the friend come up to you the next day telling you my car broke down last week and I'm in the market to buy a new one. Should I be expecting that for free going by your logic because you won it after all.. I'll get you a beer for your trouble..

Your expectations about taking a friend (for free) for ticket they won is messed up.. yes some people are very generous and they do that.. I agree but I certainly don't want my friend to have an expectation to expect something from me..

Keyword here is: Expectations! Grow up and pay for you own way if you want to get a ticket!

Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness!!

To quote you back: Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness for having such expectation from a friend

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

lau1247 wrote: »

To quote you back: Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness for having such expectation from a friend

Load of balls, you don't charge your friends for something that can be shared and you got for free! You sound incredibly stingy from that post!
    And a sarcastic pric!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm not sure what the exact legal side is for the above scenario or the scenario below either, ie. I know of instances where if some shops price an item incorrectly, eg. in the customers favour (€4 instead of €5), then they are obliged to sell you the item at the reduced price. This could be just a good-will gesture tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

. I know of instances where if some shops price an item incorrectly, eg. in the customers favour (€4 instead of €5), then they are obliged to sell you the item at the reduced price. This could be just a good-will gesture tho.

This is not true and has been done to death on boards a few times. They are not legally required to sell the item at the labelled price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

kellso81 wrote: »
    Load of balls, you don't charge your friends for something that can be shared and you got for free! You sound incredibly stingy from that post!
    And a sarcastic pric!

it's after hours, have you not seen some of the sarcarsm in these section? FYI - I don't care whether you think I'm a sarcastic pric or not. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine there I said it.

Did you even read the full post.. the guy who won it could have sold to anyone, he doesn't have to sell to this friend.. see what it gets him for selling to a friend.. again friendship expectations bar is set so high here that it is unbelievable..

I ask you again if I'm your friend and you are in the hypothetical scenario I mentioned in the last post, will you give me the car for free??

I think realistically the answer will be no and you'll tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine so fast..... i won't even get the chance to tell you I'll buy you a beer for your trouble

Edit: There's a difference between generosity and expectations.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I've never studied this, but I still bet you're completely wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can anyone point the economics on this ?

on google maps

on M50
    4.9 km, 4 mins
    Est. fuel cost: €0.63

10.0 km, 17 mins
    Lucan Rd/N4
    Est. fuel cost: €1.67

So it's costing you 13 minutes and €1.04 to save €2.50
    an hourly rate of €6.74 if you can afford the money

YMMV and you want to factor in wear and tear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

My sister is not with the father of her kids anymore, the kids go to visit their dad for the weekend, he collects them on Friday from school and drops them home Sunday evening.

Last weekend, my sister forgot to give the kids their weekend bag for their dads house, thinking nothing of it because the kids have clothes in their fathers too, my sister didn't attempt to make contact to give the kids their bags.

Sunday evening arrives and in come the kids in their school uniforms. The stingy cnut made the kids change out of the clothes they had on them Sunday and put on their uniform because he had paid for the clothes.

In before people start saying, he paid for the clothes blah blah blah, the point here is he made his kids make the embarrasing trip home on a Sunday evening in their school uniform. He could have left the kids in their clothes and waited outside while they changed into different clothes and they could have given him back the clothes.

Miserable cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

I've never studied this, but I still bet you're completely wrong.

Bet away, just as you stated you never studied this, I have, I'd be inclined to say I know more on the topic of Offer and Acceptance in Contract Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Was doing a school fundraiser and had one of those sponsorship cards. My uncle put himself down for a tenner and told me he'd pay me the next time he was up... he called numerous times and said he had no money.. he lives an hours drive away from my house.. Who leaves home without money?! I had to pay his tenner myself along with the donation I'd already given.. He never mentioned it again and i remembered never to ask him for anything again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

My sister is not with the father of her kids anymore, the kids go to visit their dad for the weekend, he collects them on Friday from school and drops them home Sunday evening.

Last weekend, my sister forgot to give the kids their weekend bag for their dads house, thinking nothing of it because the kids have clothes in their fathers too, my sister didn't attempt to make contact to give the kids their bags.

Sunday evening arrives and in come the kids in their school uniforms. The stingy cnut made the kids change out of the clothes they had on them Sunday and put on their uniform because he had paid for the clothes.

In before people start saying, he paid for the clothes blah blah blah, the point here is he made his kids make the embarrasing trip home on a Sunday evening in their school uniform. He could have left the kids in their clothes and waited outside while they changed into different clothes and they could have given him back the clothes.

Miserable cnut.

Nothing stingy there, a bit odd, but not stingy. He did pay for the clothes, maybe he wanted to put a wash on? It's not that embarrassing really unless he made them walk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement