Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Here's one that pisses me off...

Myself and some mates moved to a city abroad about a year ago. We're spread out in various apartments and have ourselves kind of settled.

Another couple of friends, two girls, followed us over recently. Of course after just arriving they're trying to save as much money as possible while looking for a job.

Just before they arrived, one of my mates that came with me in the first place was given a free couch by someone, or got it from somewhere. The two girls could really have done with that couch to furnish their bare apartment but he said, "Oh, it's worth about 150 but you can have it for 100"

And it didn't cost him anything! He got it for free! So unbelievably stingy, talk about not looking out for your friends in need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

lau1247 wrote: »
    Whether you got it for free or not is irrelevant.. he had ticket, therefore he could have sold it to anyone in Ireland other than this friend, he'll be 80 quid better off and on top of that he won't being labelled as 'stingy'.. If anything he benefited the guy he sold the ticket to given it was a great seat and at cost price.

If you want to get technical, yes he made a profit with respect to how he obtained the ticket but after that it is consider his property and he didn't make a profit with respect to his intention to sell it in the first place by selling at cost price..

Well you sir are very charitable type or an extremely good friend to whoever befriended you. (
    *Sarcasm*
    ). Going by your logic he stand to lose 80 quid for just being your friend.. if he shut his mouth and sell to other he is 80 quid better off..

Hypothetically if you go on winning streak and won two cars worth 20K each (You already have two cars at home so will be looking to offload).. Me being the friend come up to you the next day telling you my car broke down last week and I'm in the market to buy a new one. Should I be expecting that for free going by your logic because you won it after all.. I'll get you a beer for your trouble..

Your expectations about taking a friend (for free) for ticket they won is messed up.. yes some people are very generous and they do that.. I agree but I certainly don't want my friend to have an expectation to expect something from me..

Keyword here is: Expectations! Grow up and pay for you own way if you want to get a ticket!

To quote you back: Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness for having such expectation from a friend

Scabby cow

mod: banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Nothing stingy there, a bit odd, but not stingy. He did pay for the clothes, maybe he wanted to put a wash on? It's not that embarrassing really unless he made them walk.
    Is it not stingy that he would not let his kids take their clothes away with them? It shouldn't really matter that he paid for them, is that not one of his duties as a father? To provide for his kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Was doing a school fundraiser and had one of those sponsorship cards. My uncle put himself down for a tenner and told me he'd pay me the next time he was up... he called numerous times and said he had no money.. he lives an hours drive away from my house.. Who leaves home without money?! I leave the house with no money most of the time.

I had to pay his tenner myself along with the donation I'd already given.. He never mentioned it again and i remembered never to ask him for anything again!

Why would you not ask him? He agreed to sponsor you so why cant you just say he needs to pay up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Is it not stingy that he would not let his kids take their clothes away with them? It shouldn't really matter that he paid for them, is that not one of his duties as a father? To provide for his kids.

I remember a similar issue with my clothes when I was kid, both parents had a "if I send them up with clothes I wont get them back and have nothing for them to wear" attitude.

Stilll my mam would have killed my dad if he dropped me home sunday without a clean uniform for monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Stilll my mam would have killed my dad if he dropped me home sunday without a clean uniform for monday.

This. This is the greater crime, I think.
    Re insisting the kids leave their 'Dad' clothes in Dad's house, perhaps he just thought the better option was to leave a change of clothes in his house. If the clothes went to their mother's house, he wouldn't have a set of clothes for the children to change into the next time they were due to stay with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

worked in a chinese restaurant years back, whenever uneaten rice would come back from a table, he would put that rice into a container to be re-heated and sent back out to the take-away customers. He was a millionaire at this stage.

Not only do i call that stingy, but i thought it was very unhygenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

Scabby cow

Ooooohhhhhhhh that says so much about the reason behind your name calling.. if you can explain your thought process more i'd be more than happy to listen..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

conor1979 wrote: »
    Why would you not ask him? He agreed to sponsor you so why cant you just say he needs to pay up?

Because he called around 4-5 times before the money was due and made some excuse as to not having any on him.. i got fed up and paid myself. Too much effort to keep hounding him for money he had no intention of giving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    RichieC wrote: »

i know a simulsr family. several houses but mean as the day is long.. re using teabags, watsring down fizzy drinks.. generally miserable.. my friend has all the stories and is an aa poster..ill get him involved.
    An odd thing to say the day before the shortest day of the year

I walked into that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not really, because then if those clothes don't come back, and it happens again and again, he's fcuked for having to buy more clothes when the ones they had were perfectly fine. Then if, and I'm not saying she is but there are plenty of them out there, your sister is vindictive she could use that as evidence that he's not providing for them when they are over at his place.

He feeds and clothes them when they are at his house, they have two wardrobes of clothes, and while ideally they should be interchangable without hassle, if he has less clothes than he needs for them, he's fcuked, in a system that fcuks fathers over as it is he did what he needed, not out of stingyness, but more logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not really, because then if those clothes don't come back, and it happens again and again, he's fcuked for having to buy more clothes when the ones they had were perfectly fine. Then if, and I'm not saying she is but there are plenty of them out there, your sister is vindictive she could use that as evidence that he's not providing for them when they are over at his place.

He feeds and clothes them when they are at his house, they have two wardrobes of clothes, and while ideally they should be interchangable without hassle, if he has less clothes than he needs for them, he's fcuked, in a system that fcuks fathers over as it is he did what he needed, not out of stingyness, but more logical.

Plus she does fairly well if Daddy has the kids from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening every weekend (if I read the post right).

Daddy deserves a life too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Opinicus wrote: »
    This is not true and has been done to death on boards a few times. They are not legally required to sell the item at the labelled price.
    That depends on the item, try telling an excise man that you've rounded up the price of his pint and the price list doesn't matter. :eek:
    Items subject to Retail Price Display Orders can only be sold at the prices displayed, for other items it's down to shop policy and customer agreement what the price is, but advertising standards also kick in if the shop policy causes enough complaints and is found to be deliberately misleading.

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Because he called around 4-5 times before the money was due and made some excuse as to not having any on him.. i got fed up and paid myself. Too much effort to keep hounding him for money he had no intention of giving!

This would make me hound him everytime I saw him and if I didn't see him that often I would just ring him and annoy him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Plus she does fairly well if Daddy has the kids from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening every weekend (if I read the post right).

Daddy deserves a life too!

Ah, she does well because a father takes care of his kids at the weekends??? It thought it was the both the fathers and mother to take care of their kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Theres a lad I know that has to be the cheapest lad alive, you cant even borrow a euro off him without him hounding you for it back the next day , yet if he owes you anything it will take him as long as possible to pay you back (he hopes you forget) , it took him 6 months to pay me back 9 cans of beer I got for him when going to a party, hell take cigarettes and anything else he can off you, steals mouthfulls of mates pints and whole drinks off other people while drunk , has a cannabis habbit and will always show up to smoke with people, smoke all their cannabis then leave without having touched his stash, steals food from everybodys house he visits while drunk or high.

Any time your out getting food after the pub hell always keep begging you to buy him food because he has 'no money' and will stand there rubbing his belly trying to steal your food. if somebody gives in theyd never see it back, he got so desperate to not spend money one night that he robbed crisps from subway while the rest of us were getting food then he was laughing about it calling it a victory on the bus home. he always has money to spend yet pretends he doesnt, anyone with a job is fair game to steal from in his mind. He calls people for lifts late at night and offers either no money or small amounts (2 euro, 5 euro) for 40-50km round trips.

Once while at a mates house he presumed i was giving him a lift home and when i told him to f*ck off he asked one of the lads in the house if he could borrow 1.85 from their penny jar to get the bus, the lads agreed, fúcker robbed 3.50, has no intention of paying it back and was laughing about it later on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Ah, she does well because a father takes care of his kids at the weekends??? It thought it was the both the fathers and mother to take care of their kids??

I highly doubt that was Daddies decision.

Can anyone point the economics on this ?

on google maps

on M50
    4.9 km, 4 mins
    Est. fuel cost: €0.63

10.0 km, 17 mins
    Lucan Rd/N4
    Est. fuel cost: €1.67

So it's costing you 13 minutes and €1.04 to save €2.50
    an hourly rate of €6.74 if you can afford the money

YMMV and you want to factor in wear and tear

Depends entirely on the route of course, M4 via city to M1 or via M50, distance is about the same but 10 minutes longer @6AM probably an extra half a litre of fuel used due to stop-start driving, dumb traffic lights stop you to let the wind pass!

Saving of about €1.30 hardly worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

If these people are so stingy why the fuck are ye all friends with them :(. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

a good friend of mine is the worst. we went out one night in sligo town and he picked me up and i had no money. so we got out of the car and he reached back in for a pen and small note pad. we went in to the pub and my friend walked up to the bar and took out the pen and note pade from his pocket and said to the bar man: hi i am here with a emloyee from a "mens fitness" magazine, we doing a review on the best pubs in sligo. so is it ok if we get 1 or 2 free pints on the house? so the bar man would serve the drink and we would take a seat, and he would start drawing pictures when ever the bar man would look down from the bar at us. so when we had finished in sligo. We went to carrick on shannon and he changed it to "the best pubs in carrick"

Stingy or what?

• Advertisement

a good friend of mine is the worst. we went out one night in sligo town and he picked me up and i had no money. so we got out of the car and he reached back in for a pen and small note pad. we went in to the pub and my friend walked up to the bar and took out the pen and note pade from his pocket and said to the bar man: hi i am here with a emloyee from a "mens fitness" magazine, we doing a review on the best pubs in sligo. so is it ok if we get 1 or 2 free pints on the house? so the bar man would serve the drink and we would take a seat, and he would start drawing pictures when ever the bar man would look down from the bar at us. so when we had finished in sligo. We went to carrick on shannon and he changed it to "the best pubs in carrick"

Stingy or what?

Thats not stingy, thats genius!

If a bartender is stupid enough to fall for it then fair play to your mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Stingy or what?

Suuuuure he did.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

It's stingy to charge your friend for something that you got for free. You don't make a profit from your friends.

Whether you got it for free or not is irrelevant.. he had ticket, therefore he could have sold it to anyone in Ireland other than this friend, he'll be 80 quid better off and on top of that he won't being labelled as 'stingy'.. If anything he benefited the guy he sold the ticket to given it was a great seat and at cost price.

If you want to get technical, yes he made a profit with respect to how he obtained the ticket but after that it is consider his property and he didn't make a profit with respect to his intention to sell it in the first place by selling at cost price..

If you are lucky enough to win tickets for something and you offer to take a friend, there should be no mention of money really. If they want to buy you a pint or something to thank you for your generosity then that's fine. It's how friends treat each other...

Well you sir are very charitable type or an extremely good friend to whoever befriended you. (
    *Sarcasm*
    ). Going by your logic he stand to lose 80 quid for just being your friend.. if he shut his mouth and sell to other he is 80 quid better off..

Hypothetically if you go on winning streak and won two cars worth 20K each (You already have two cars at home so will be looking to offload).. Me being the friend come up to you the next day telling you my car broke down last week and I'm in the market to buy a new one. Should I be expecting that for free going by your logic because you won it after all.. I'll get you a beer for your trouble..

Your expectations about taking a friend (for free) for ticket they won is messed up.. yes some people are very generous and they do that.. I agree but I certainly don't want my friend to have an expectation to expect something from me..

Keyword here is: [SIZE="6"]Expectations![/SIZE] Grow up and pay for you own way if you want to get a ticket!

Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness!!

To quote you back: Your entire post stinks of stingy-ness for having such expectation from a friend

The fact that you're going on so much about how much you could possibly sell a ticket for that you got for nothing reinforces my view of how scabby you are!

I wouldn't 'expect' anything from anyone for free. If a mate said "I have an extra ticket for 'X event' if you want to go" I'd obviously ask how much I owed them... But if I was the one with the tickets i'd say "it's grand, sure I got them for nothing!"

Even if I bought 2 tickets for something and then asked a friend to go with me I still wouldn't expect them to pay me for it. I was the one who invited them after all!

As for the hypothetical car situation - that's a little different as selling 2 new cars can have a life changing effect (clear off credit cards, chunk of mortgage etc.) but I would give my mate a loan of my car and I'd drive one of the new ones until they were able to sort themselves out with a new car. Sure if they wanted to buy one of the brand new cars that I won I certainly wouldn't be looking for full market value from them either!

Why do some people get so hung up on the cost of things or who pays what when friends are involved? So long as people aren't blatently taking advantage of your generosity, and they would do the same thing for you if the roles were reversed then it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

saw someone break the safety tab on a tumble dryer so it couldnt be turned on, cos someone was using it too often. apparently theyre quite heavy on electricity.

Suuuuure he did.....:rolleyes:

he did i have dates and time if required! :D

conor1979 wrote: »
    Thats not stingy, thats genius!

If a bartender is stupid enough to fall for it then fair play to your mate!

you a bartender? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

The fact that you're going on so much about how much you could possibly sell a ticket for that you got for nothing reinforces my view of how scabby you are!

Ermm he has a ticket, if he didn't need to use it, he'll sell it.. why wouldn't you possibly sell a ticket that you got for nothing if you don't need it.. that's just common sense..

the fact is, if the guy who bought didn't ask/hint that he is going to buy, the seller would have sold it to other people.. it was a spare to him after all..

Simple question (just answer without trying to justify your own view onto it), true or false that he would have sold anyway??? Nothing to do with who it is being sold to, just plain and simple business transaction
    I wouldn't 'expect' anything from anyone for free. If a mate said "I have an extra ticket for 'X event' if you want to go" I'd obviously ask how much I owed them... But if I was the one with the tickets i'd say "it's grand, sure I got them for nothing!"

Even if I bought 2 tickets for something and then asked a friend to go with me I still wouldn't expect them to pay me for it. I was the one who invited them after all!

Both situation you mentioned is an invitation from the ticket holder but you see, the guy who sells didn't invite.. he had inside information that this guy is looking for a ticket that he is going to buy anyway in the first place and he happen to have one that he was going to sell..

If he invited, then yes I get it, he should then give for free.. the fact is he didn't invite!!
    As for the hypothetical car situation - that's a little different as selling 2 new cars can have a life changing effect (clear off credit cards, chunk of mortgage etc.) but I would give my mate a loan of my car and I'd drive one of the new ones until they were able to sort themselves out with a new car. Sure if they wanted to buy one of the brand new cars that I won I certainly wouldn't be looking for full market value from them either!

your principle or idea of sharing things you got for free is not what it seems after all.. I agree it depends on value, it's a case by case basis as such is life and the hypothetical scenario is blown out of proportion just to show the same principle does not apply going by you logic to share free things won from your last post.. none the less i'd still consider your comment as an 'expectation' that it should be sold cheaper or given for free to a friend..

What's not to say the face value of the ticket is not important to the guy who sold?? He might have finance issue to clear too.. not life changing but still mattered none the less.. Do you know the circumstances??

Look at it this way, my point is in an ideal world, i have no doubt everyone love to give everything away which they have spare but reality is that not all of us can always afford to do so (we all have our own burden to carry, it might not be directly obvious).. whether they won it or not, big or small in value does not matter..
    Why do some people get so hung up on the cost of things or who pays what when friends are involved? So long as people aren't blatently taking advantage of your generosity, and they would do the same thing for you if the roles were reversed then it's all good!

It's not being 'hung up' on cost when friends are involved.. it's more about money and friendship don't mix well.. My experience (From what I've have seen and heard listening to others) has thought me to be fair and pay everything that i should be paying for.. I've seen many people acting as if everything is fine but bitch about the other people not doing their bit behind their back.. whether i'm the one giving or receiving, i don't like to become either the one bitching about people or being bitched about.. This way I get none of the hassle.. Otherwise with time you grow to resent them or vice versa they grow to resent you and worst part is you'll only truly know the feeling when you had a minor fight many years down the line and people blaming people.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

It definitely could be classed as stingy HOWEVER its a classic enough case between seperated couples squabbling about money. Mothers/primary carer's tactics - send the kids around at the weekend in the worst rags you can find. Husband out of embarrassment buys new clothes for kids and sends kids home in new clothes, kids arrive back next weekend in worst rags again - repeat.

Can you see where this is going?

Maybe a maintenance amount has already been paid over to include clothing and footwear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Ermm he has a ticket, if he didn't need to use it, he'll sell it.. why wouldn't you possibly sell a ticket that you got for nothing if you don't need it.. that's just common sense..

Not true. Common sense dictates that you either:
    1. Go to the event and take someone with you so you can enjoy the event in good company.
    2. If you are not interested in the event, give both tickets to a family member/friend if you know they are interested - FOR FREE! It's called a gesture of good will... it's the kind of thing people do for other people!
    3. If you or anyone you know is not interested in the event, then by all means sell both tickets.
    the fact is, if the guy who bought didn't ask/hint that he is going to buy, the seller would have sold it to other people.. it was a spare to him after all..

Simple question (just answer without trying to justify your own view onto it), true or false that he would have sold anyway??? Nothing to do with who it is being sold to, just plain and simple business transaction

You can't know that for sure. I'm sure in the majority of cases where a person wins 2 tickets to a match they generally use the 2nd ticket to take someone with them. Although, going back to the original point... in this case (as he is CHARGING HIS FRIEND for a ticket) maybe he would have tried to sell it anyway.

All I can say is that if one of my friends said "do you know of anyone selling a spare ticket to the game?" and I happened to have a spare ticket (whether I won it or not) I'd go "Ah sure I've a spare one, you can have it"

It's not being 'hung up' on cost when friends are involved.. it's more about money and friendship don't mix well..

It's only an issue if you make it an issue...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Not necessarily stingy but one of the worst stunts i have seen in a long time.

A guy called into work last Thursday to pay a bill for us getting him out of the s**t when his server broke down. The bill was for €135 and was 3 months overdue. We received an invoice in the post yesterday from him for €90 for dropping off the cheque! :eek: I have no intention of paying it, just going to sit on it until he has the neck to ring up chasing the bill! Will be an interesting conversation to say the least!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement