Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

a good friend of mine is the worst. we went out one night in sligo town and he picked me up and i had no money. so we got out of the car and he reached back in for a pen and small note pad. we went in to the pub and my friend walked up to the bar and took out the pen and note pade from his pocket and said to the bar man: hi i am here with a emloyee from a "mens fitness" magazine, we doing a review on the best pubs in sligo. so is it ok if we get 1 or 2 free pints on the house? so the bar man would serve the drink and we would take a seat, and he would start drawing pictures when ever the bar man would look down from the bar at us. so when we had finished in sligo. We went to carrick on shannon and he changed it to "the best pubs in carrick"

Stingy or what?
    conor1979 wrote: »
    Thats not stingy, thats genius!

If a bartender is stupid enough to fall for it then fair play to your mate!
    damn in there before me.
    Samhain wrote: »
    Not necessarily stingy but one of the worst stunts i have seen in a long time.

A guy called into work last Thursday to pay a bill for us getting him out of the s**t when his server broke down. The bill was for €135 and was 3 months overdue. We received an invoice in the post yesterday from him for €90 for dropping off the cheque! :eek: I have no intention of paying it, just going to sit on it until he has the neck to ring up chasing the bill! Will be an interesting conversation to say the least!
    Why would he charge to drop off a chq? I want that blooming job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Enough about the concert ticket and the mum and dad fighting over the clothes, it's ruining a good thread.

More cheapness.

My g.f's sister was chatting to her friend one day. Her friend wanted to drive to Dublin (from Sligo) to buy some furniture for her new house in college. She wanted to go to Ikea.

She asked my g.f's sister if she would come with her to keep her company for the journey. She didn't really want to go, but was pressured into saying yes (out of guilt), when she agreed, her friend said 'great, you can pay half the petrol costs'.....needless to say, she never bothered going up to Dublin with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

Not true. Common sense dictates that you either:
    1. Go to the event and take someone with you so you can enjoy the event in good company.
    2. If you are not interested in the event, give both tickets to a family member/friend if you know they are interested - FOR FREE! It's called a gesture of good will... it's the kind of thing people do for other people!
    3. If you or anyone you know is not interested in the event, then by all means sell both tickets.

Who writes these stuff for you?? Just because steps 1 and 2 are what some people do does not mean you have to follow to the letter.. didn't anyone tell you, you can jump from step 0 to step 3 right away and it does not have to be in the order you listed.. While it is a nice thing to do with step 1 or 2, it is not always the be all and end all rule or the case..
    You can't know that for sure. I'm sure in the majority of cases where a person wins 2 tickets to a match they generally use the 2nd ticket to take someone with them. Although, going back to the original point... in this case (as he is CHARGING HIS FRIEND for a ticket) maybe he would have tried to sell it anyway.

All I can say is that if one of my friends said "do you know of anyone selling a spare ticket to the game?" and I happened to have a spare ticket (whether I won it or not) I'd go "Ah sure I've a spare one, you can have it"

I won't know for sure but if you have such a strong feeling that friendship mean giving stuff for free and he sold to his friend, i think i can confidently say he will sell it anyway friend or otherwise..

you see you keep saying you'd go do this and that.. I have to agree, it is a nice gesture, no doubt but not everyone's take on this is like yours whether in the situation that started this debate or any other in life.. everyone have their own circumstances and their own take on dealing with these situations.. just because it is not up to your expectation level of doing things, don't try to impose/force your view on others.
    It's only an issue if you make it an issue...

Not an issue, I'm just saying it happens and you won't know it until it all blows up in your face in some argument.. ergo i do everything fair accordingly when it comes to money and friendship, all is good.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can somebody come up with a new story please, to stop these people going around in circles arguing about nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Has anyone else started skipping over the football ticket posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Has anyone else started skipping over the football ticket posts?
    No siree. I've paid for my internet and I'm going to read each and every post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

lau1247 wrote: »
    Who writes these stuff for you?? Just because steps 1 and 2 are what some people do does not mean you have to follow to the letter.. didn't anyone tell you, you can jump from step 0 to step 3 right away and it does not have to be in the order you listed.. While it is a nice thing to do with step 1 or 2, it is not always the be all and end all rule or the case..

I won't know for sure but if you have such a strong feeling that friendship mean giving stuff for free and he sold to his friend, i think i can confidently say he will sell it anyway friend or otherwise..

you see you keep saying you'd go do this and that.. I have to agree, it is a nice gesture, no doubt but not everyone's take on this is like yours whether in the situation that started this debate or any other in life.. everyone have their own circumstances and their own take on dealing with these situations.. just because it is not up to your expectation level of doing things, don't try to impose/force your view on others.

Not an issue, I'm just saying it happens and you won't know it until it all blows up in your face in some argument.. ergo i do everything fair accordingly when it comes to money and friendship, all is good.

BORREEEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

A guy called into work last Thursday to pay a bill for us getting him out of the s**t when his server broke down. The bill was for €135 and was 3 months overdue. We received an invoice in the post yesterday from him for €90 for dropping off the cheque! :eek: I have no intention of paying it, just going to sit on it until he has the neck to ring up chasing the bill! Will be an interesting conversation to say the least!

What if you are misinterpreting the invoice and you do actually owe him 90 Euro ?

Seems very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My uncle was the executor of my grandparent's estate. When they died they were cremated. My mother wanted to take their ashes and scatter them someplace that was very special to my grandparents.

My uncle said that since it was not included specifically in the Will he was not required to pay for it out of the estate. He said that he was perfectly happy to throw their ashes in the bin so ANY funeral expenses at all would have to be payed for by my mother.

My mother ended up paying for all of the expenses including having the ashes delivered from the funeral home (far away from where we lived) just so that my uncle would not throw my grandparent's ashes in the garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

jujibee wrote: »
    My uncle was the executor of my grandparent's estate. When they died they were cremated. My mother wanted to take their ashes and scatter them someplace that was very special to my grandparents.

My uncle said that since it was not included specifically in the Will he was not required to pay for it out of the estate. He said that he was perfectly happy to throw their ashes in the bin so ANY funeral expenses at all would have to be payed for by my mother.

My mother ended up paying for all of the expenses including having the ashes delivered from the funeral home (far away from where we lived) just so that my uncle would not throw my grandparent's ashes in the garbage.

He's just a cnut TBH!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

i have to say i used to be mates with a girl who could win an award for being tight her mum taught her well.

she would drink in her house till twelve then go to pub chat up some poor bloke and then he would pay her way into club and pay her drink all night.
    she even used to get them to pay her taxi home while all over them and then say she lived an estate down from where she really lived.
    she would hop out of the taxi say sorry ya cant come in or say hold on il go in and get money to pay the taxi an off she would run in behind some neighbours house and jump the fence to her own house and hide inside till the poor fecker got wise and left. i cant tell ya how many fellas she done this two she used to always "forget her purse". anytime we were ment to go anywhere she would hold off till the last second regularly she was hours late for stuff so she wouldnt have to part with her cash.
    she was banned from so many taxis from jumping the bill.

the girls mother would drink hot water as tea was to expensive.
    she used to work as a waitress and would bring home the salt/ketchup/jam/sugar packets and even towels and shampoo/soaps.
    toothpaste was used with hot water as they thought it would last longer that way:confused:.

the two of them live together and had moved house due to not paying any of the bills and being evicted. the both of them work all the time and swap shifts so they dont pay a baby sitter. the kids father is used soley as a bank poor fella. she only got pregnant cos she was taking the pill once every two or three days so she wouldnt have to pay more for another packet.

i stopped talking to her when one day i offered to bring her and her one year old son to galway for the day herself and the mother had a limit on the bottles and nappys the kid was allowed to have during the day. i couldnt hack the idea that she was not feeding her own son due to money cant talk to her since.

once upon a time she was such a nice normal girl she was my best friend.i have no idea what happened. she kept herself in VERY expensive clothes though although i wonder if some of her strung along fellas werent paying for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

What if you are misinterpreting the invoice and you do actually owe him 90 Euro ?

Seems very unprofessional.

I dont think i misinterpreted it, he hasnt done any work for us and it says under the Work Description heading on the invoice "Callout to present Cheque". :confused: ...thought i had seen it all...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Send him a 55c stamp to reimburse him for his trouble, and a small note to inform him that we have in this country for nigh on 200 years, a thing called the postal system. It could have saved him €89.45 in expenses on calling into you if he thought to use that instead. Well, either a 55c stamp, or a dead messenger pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a spare ticket for a gig, so I asked a friend if she wanted to go. I didn't ask for any cash as she didn't know the band, so was doing me a favour by keeping me company there. Anyway, we decide to get some grub before the gig and when the bill came she just sat there until I caved and put my hand in my pocket for that too, so I wound up paying for the gig and the food, like I'd asked her on a date or something (she and I are both straight women). What really pissed me off is that at the time she could afford to save more in a month than I earned.

It really brought her down in my estimation, and I've seen her a lot less since; and I definitely haven't invited her to any more gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

your uncle is justt a d!ck. no two ways about it,they were his parents for fecks sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

GetWithIt wrote: »
    No siree. I've paid for my internet and I'm going to read each and every post.

that's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

All I know is I've had the same rolls of wrapping paper for years.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Last year my sister gave me a bag for xmas. Inside the bag was a tag which said "We hope you enjoy your free bag from Glamour mag" . Glamour costs €2.48. :mad:
    Still prob one of the nicer gifts shes given me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Last year my sister gave me a bag for xmas. Inside the bag was a tag which said "We hope you enjoy your free bag from Glamour mag" . Glamour costs €2.48. :mad:
    Still prob one of the nicer gifts shes given me...

It's more than your getting off me this year honey.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure what the exact legal side is for the above scenario or the scenario below either, ie. I know of instances where if some shops price an item incorrectly, eg. in the customers favour (€4 instead of €5), then they are obliged to sell you the item at the reduced price. This could be just a good-will gesture tho.
    There is a code of practice in place for the industry group using shelf edge labelling and bar code scanning that says things should only be sold at the scanned price. Many retailers will therefore give you a hefty discount if scanned price is greater than the shelf edge labelling.
    Plazaman wrote: »
    :eek: WTF? So if I hand in a €20 for a 75c pack of chewing gum, the dingbat behind the counter can tell me to F Off and I've no comeback??
    Not quite. If the retailer says "I have no change" or has a sign up saying "€100 / €500 notes and credit / debit cards not accepted".

So if you insist on buying the chewing gum, you can't insist on getting change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

yesno1234 wrote: »
    I've never studied this, but I still bet you're completely wrong.

Bet away, just as you stated you never studied this, I have, I'd be inclined to say I know more on the topic of Offer and Acceptance in Contract Law.
    It is merely a invitation to treat.....**** I hated studying law

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Used to live in the US. Noticed recently that of my American friends don't send out traditional Christmas card anymore. They take a Xmas themed family photo with their own digital cameras & configure it with Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays etc etc from the Such and Such Family on the top or bottom. They then print off a batch of them on their own computers using photo paper. That is the so called "card" that goes in the envelope. Nothing gets signed or personalized in any way.

When it arrives, there is not much you can do with it. As it is not a card, you can't display it on a mantle piece. Prop it up against a lamp or something, and it just falls over. I have a few taped on my fridge door, but it not ideally where I like to display my Xmas cards. They are usually not standard photo size, so you can't even display them in a frame. I think its a cheap and shabby substitution for the real thing. Am living in Ireland again now. I love it that (so far) all of my Irish friends and family have sent me real cards this year. And even better, Irish charities are benefiting from it. Rock on my fellow Paddies !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

My girlfriends cousin, won €500,000 on the lottery.

He is about 35, and still lives at home with his parents - gets his meals made - washing done etc - he owns a flat - which he rents out to make money.

Imagine having a personal fortune of HALF a MILLION ... and still living at home - at 35 !!

Parents dont mind, it's in the culture ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Used to live in the US. Noticed recently that of my American friends don't send out traditional Christmas card anymore. They take a Xmas themed family photo with their own digital cameras & configure it with Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays etc etc from the Such and Such Family on the top or bottom. They then print off a batch of them on their own computers using photo paper. That is the so called "card" that goes in the envelope. Nothing gets signed or personalized in any way.
    Amateurs :rolleyes:
    If they printed on half the paper it could be used as a card

they could use smaller envelopes, cheaper stamps and it would save 50% on the ink :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

dont worry, what goes round, comes round,
    that was a nasty thing to do to anyone,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

When it arrives, there is not much you can do with it. As it is not a card, you can't display it on a mantle piece. Prop it up against a lamp or something, and it just falls over. I have a few taped on my fridge door, but it not ideally where I like to display my Xmas cards. They are usually not standard photo size, so you can't even display them in a frame. I think its a cheap and shabby substitution for the real thing. Am living in Ireland again now. I love it that (so far) all of my Irish friends and family have sent me real cards this year. And even better, Irish charities are benefiting from it. Rock on my fellow Paddies !

Typical insincere Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Sounds like a lot more effort and thought goes into taking a photo and printing it out dozens of times as opposed to buy a 50 pack of generic cards from the euro store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i get these so called cheap skate cards from relatives,
    in my view they are much dearer to make and time consuming, there is a lot of thought put into them, i love the idea, and i do appreciate these pictures, also they are about ten times dearer than those you buy from shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

goat2 wrote: »
    i get these so called cheap skate cards from relatives,
    in my view they are much dearer to make and time consuming, there is a lot of thought put into them, i love the idea, and i do appreciate these pictures, also they are about ten times dearer than those you buy from shops.

+1
    The price of glossy paper is ridiculous and then a photo printer on top of that, they definately cost far more than generic cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I get your points, but it all seems so generic and blah. Everyone gets the exact same photo. No personalized greetings on the inside, no salutation, no taking the time to actually sign your name to it. I guess its the cheapness of effort involved that gets to me. It's not just about the money. Plus what's the point of sending someone a supposed Christmas card, when the card can not be displayed as an actual card? It kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

I guess maybe its me. I put thought and effort into the cards I send people, and I remember my parents doing the same too. Those I left behind back in the US got "across the miles at Christmas" cards. I may never see some of them again. They got a little note inside the card too. I guess to me a card says that someone took the time out of their day to buy me a card, and hand write it themselves. Once upon a time that used to mean something. Now we all have computers, the internet and home offices to do all the work for us. It's all pretty impersonal imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement