Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Used to live in the US. Noticed recently that of my American friends don't send out traditional Christmas card anymore. They take a Xmas themed family photo with their own digital cameras & configure it with Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays etc etc from the Such and Such Family on the top or bottom.

Nuts to that. I'm not going to decorate my Gaff with photographs of someone and their kids. Proper Christmas cards or don't bother.

Unless the Kardashians are sending me one. They can send me a picture of them If they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

Two very stingy people I Know. Both toilet related stingyness actually

First guy. Bloke I work with, He's put a brick in his toilet cistern (years ago) so it uses less water!!!!!

Another Guy, he lives on his own and he's on a water meter, so he only flushes the toilet once a day!! no matter what action happens when he's visited!! Although knowing this guy, this probably isn't stingyness, I think he gets some kind of kick or summert strange out of it!! WEIRD guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

sharpey85 wrote: »
    ...First guy. Bloke I work with, He's put a brick in his toilet cistern (years ago) so it uses less water!!!!!

Geez, thats really tight.
    Yeah I get the concept, like a brick would take up mass therefore less water in and used. But seriously? putting a brick in it? to save what, a pint of water?

Sounds like the mentality of a person who wouldnt wash himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

My old primary school principal was incredibly stingy.

Just a few examples of the stingy measures he took to save money:
    -Made us put milk cartons filled with water in the toilet cistern to save water
    -Turned the refrigerators off at night so our milk was always sour at lunch
    -Took away the bins and made us take all of our rubbish home with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

First guy. Bloke I work with, He's put a brick in his toilet cistern (years ago) so it uses less water!!!!!

Another Guy, he lives on his own and he's on a water meter, so he only flushes the toilet once a day!! no matter what action happens when he's visited!! Although knowing this guy, this probably isn't stingyness, I think he gets some kind of kick or summert strange out of it!! WEIRD guy

My great granddad once put a bucket inside the toilet so his wife and himself would piss in that instead then he'd bring it to the garden as phertiliser. Not sure if they shat in it also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Worst I've done was a few years back, a friend of mine was dying for a fag so I sold her 3 fags and a box of matches for a fiver and went and bought myself a 15 box of john player blue haha!! I did eventually buy her a 15 box fags stingiest thing I've done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭bebostunnah

kearney13 wrote: »
    Worst I've done was a few years back, a friend of mine was dying for a fag so I sold her 3 fags and a box of matches for a fiver and went and bought myself a 15 box of john player blue haha!! I did eventually buy her a 15 box fags stingiest thing I've done.

Thats not stingey thats just cúntish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

yesno1234 wrote: »
    +1
    The price of glossy paper is ridiculous and then a photo printer on top of that, they definately cost far more than generic cards.

This is one of those tailor made times when you stay back after everyone has left, informing the boss you want to double check your work, and when they go, use the company paper and printer to make these.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

conor1979 wrote: »
    This would make me hound him everytime I saw him and if I didn't see him that often I would just ring him and annoy him!

Are you remembering that in this scenario he is your uncle? In his time kids were to be seen not heard! That tenner could have been put toward worse thing, im not sore over it by any means.

Once a mean fecker, always a mean fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Conserving a valuable resource! - What a prick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i used to love gluing Pound Coins to the footpath outside my local and sit in the window watching people trying to pick it up.... one guy was so stingy after he failed to pick it up he went off down the street then 5 mins later came back with a screwdriver to to try lift the coin up... hehe the whole pub was watching in histerics when he couldnt get the coin up.

oh and i used glue normally used for bonding aluminium window frames. once that stuff sets hard its extremely hard to break it apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yis'll all be doing the brick/bottle of water in the cistern thing if metered water charges ever get introduced...

Seriously, though, it's actually good practice. A lot of older toilets have 12 litre flushes, which is a ridiculous amount of water to use every time you have a slash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

eth0 wrote: »
    My great granddad once put a bucket inside the toilet so his wife and himself would piss in that instead then he'd bring it to the garden as phertiliser. Not sure if they shat in it also

The ammonia in urine accelerates the breakdown of compost, so that it can be used as a fertiliser. It probably makes more sense to use urine than to buy ammonia. (This one might be useful for here or here)

No sh*t Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Cian A wrote: »
    My old primary school principal was incredibly stingy.

Just a few examples of the stingy measures he took to save money:
    -Made us put milk cartons filled with water in the toilet cistern to save water
    -Took away the bins and made us take all of our rubbish home with us.

Most toilets are very inefficient, especially the older ones which have one flush for all instead of a big and a small flush. The brick/milk carton is saving water, thus ironically saving you, the taxpayer money. As there are no private water charges the first guy is doing it to be eco-friendly and is actually saving everyone money in the long run.

Schools are responsible for water charges so if the brick/milk carton trick saves water, it saves money which can be spent elsewhere, so thats a good idea, its not stingy.

The bins have to be paid for, and my own opinion is that kids should take their rubbish home with them, I mean if they can take a full bottle of drink, a sanwich with a wrapper and a crisp packet to school, surely they can take the much lighter, empty wrappers/bottles home with them. It saves the school money, the cash saved can be spent sensibly elsewhere in the school. Schools are hard strapped for money as it is, small savings like this add up over a year with several hundred kids in a school.

On a side note it also teaches the kids something about how they use the resources around them, its definitely not being stingy.

The ammonia in urine accelerates the breakdown of compost, so that it can be used as a fertiliser. It probably makes more sense to use urine than to buy ammonia. (This one might be useful for here or here)

No sh*t Sherlock.

yea but you'd be better off just pissing outside than collecting a bucket of concentrated p1ss inside

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

eth0 wrote: »
    yea but you'd be better off just pissing outside than collecting a bucket of concentrated p1ss inside
    Not so. It's a while since I read it but basically some chemical in the wee needs to break down or it will burn the plants and kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paullyons00

Readin through the thread has reminded me of something my grandfather does (awful stingy fella)

he worked out that using the gas is cheaper than the oil for the heating. He now heats whole downstairs during the winter months by switching on the gas stoves in the kitchen and leaving all the doors open. Needless to say we dont visit as much in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That will of course depend on the efficiency of boiler v cooker.

The extra ventilation and humidity inside probably doesn't help his argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 paullyons00

Victor wrote: »
    That will of course depend on the efficiency of boiler v cooker.

The extra ventilation and humidity inside probably doesn't help his argument.

Somehow i dont think these factors crossed his mind. He's not the sharpest tool in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

A friend borrowed a few quid off a relatively poor friend if his and when he was asked for the money back he said that he wouldn't and that he didn't sign a contract! He was dead serious too!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Not so. It's a while since I read it but basically some chemical in the wee needs to break down or it will burn the plants and kill them.

Great i'll keep that in mind for when the SHTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Beau wrote: »
    A friend borrowed a few quid off a relatively poor friend if his and when he was asked for the money back he said that he wouldn't and that he didn't sign a contract! He was dead serious too!

I found this anecdote terribly generic:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I found this anecdote terribly generic:(
    Too true. "I thought we were friends etc, why would you do that to me etc, etc, etc,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Oh we have one.

There're two cars in the house. And three people to use them. The general rule is that if the fuel light comes on while you're driving, you put 20 euro in the car. Or enough to fill the journey if more.

In theory it averages out.

Except lately, one of us.

Who on hearing a car has been recently refilled, exclusively uses that one right up until the fuel gauge is nudging reserve, being careful to make sure that the fuel light doesn't come on until a few minutes after the next person has started it.

Doesn't put a red cent of fuel into the things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I know a good few stingy fu*ckers that go down to Saint Vincent de P at this time of year whinging that they can't heat their houses, wh*res walk in so that their Cars aren't seen, begging for briquettes/Coal.

Good few of them are working to.

They were the only charity I use to give Money to untill I seen this carry on, but since they can't carry out a basic check on people who look to use their services then they don't deserve mine nor any elses money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I know a good few stingy fu*ckers that go down to Saint Vincent de P at this time of year whinging that they can't heat their houses, wh*res walk in so that their Cars aren't seen, begging for briquettes/Coal.

Good few of them are working to.

They were the only charity I use to give Money to untill I seen this carry on, but since they can't carry out a basic check on people who look to use their services then they don't deserve mine nor any elses money.
    I deal wit SVDP in my job, theyre ringing to pay peoples bills,before they get disconnected. Same people who have rang up before hand sayng theyre just back frm holidays:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

My stingy brother gave me a piece of turf for christmas.

As I live in London he thought I would like a bit of Ireland to bring back with me.

and yes he was serious! It wasn't like he is broke he bought a house 2 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

afatbollix wrote: »
    My stingy brother gave me a piece of turf for christmas.

As I live in London he thought I would like a bit of Ireland to bring back with me.

and yes he was serious! It wasn't like he is broke he bought a house 2 weeks ago!

Yeah ever one's loaded when they've paid out x€00000.
    Love your petulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Skid wrote: »
    Nuts to that. I'm not going to decorate my Gaff with photographs of someone and their kids. Proper Christmas cards or don't bother.

Exactemundo ! Displaying "proper" Christmas cards is part of the tradition of decorating your gaff for Xmas. There is nothing remotely Christmassy about getting photos of people that you already know what they look like, even if they are all wearing nausea inducing Xmas jumpers. :rolleyes:

My sister in law (who has a well deserved reputation for being cheap) goes into town every Xmas Eve. She buys loads and loads of plain silver and gold Xmas wrapping paper, gift bags, bows etc etc that are being sold off for a song just before the shops close. She uses them to wrap birthday, christening & wedding pressies for the rest of the year. As there is nothing overly Christmassy about it all, it does not look out of place for a wedding or birthday pressie. She comes from a big family. Someone is always getting married, engaged or having a baby, so there is always a big demand for gift wrapping material. Her kids give her grief about, but I just think that it is smart, savvy shopping and not a bit stingy. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Exactemundo ! Displaying "proper" Christmas cards is part of the tradition of decorating your gaff for Xmas. There is nothing remotely Christmassy about getting photos of people that you already know what they look like, even if they are all wearing nausea inducing Xmas jumpers. :rolleyes:

My sister in law (who has a well deserved reputation for being cheap) goes into town every Xmas Eve. She buys loads and loads of plain silver and gold Xmas wrapping paper, gift bags, bows etc etc that are being sold off for a song just before the shops close. She uses them to wrap birthday, christening & wedding pressies for the rest of the year. As there is nothing overly Christmassy about it all, it does not look out of place for a wedding or birthday pressie. She comes from a big family. Someone is always getting married, engaged or having a baby, so there is always a big demand for gift wrapping material. Her kids give her grief about, but I just think that it is smart, savvy shopping and not a bit stingy. Thoughts?

I would think that was just being money-smart. Stingy would be re-using wrapping paper etc..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement