Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

I remember being in Tesco in Clarehall once ad saw someone try to haggle on the price of some groceries..Don't know if he was messing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Exactemundo ! Displaying "proper" Christmas cards is part of the tradition of decorating your gaff for Xmas. There is nothing remotely Christmassy about getting photos of people that you already know what they look like, even if they are all wearing nausea inducing Xmas jumpers. :rolleyes:

My sister in law (who has a well deserved reputation for being cheap) goes into town every Xmas Eve. She buys loads and loads of plain silver and gold Xmas wrapping paper, gift bags, bows etc etc that are being sold off for a song just before the shops close. She uses them to wrap birthday, christening & wedding pressies for the rest of the year. As there is nothing overly Christmassy about it all, it does not look out of place for a wedding or birthday pressie. She comes from a big family. Someone is always getting married, engaged or having a baby, so there is always a big demand for gift wrapping material. Her kids give her grief about, but I just think that it is smart, savvy shopping and not a bit stingy. Thoughts?

That, to my way of thinking is frugal. Stingy has the air of meaness to it. Like when people give their children who are old enough to have their own plate, "a bite" from theirs. I knew a girl once who had always had beans to eat. Her father ate steak and you would see him out eating ice creams. At home his 14 children and his wife ate beans every day, probably never had ice cream at all till they were grown. That's stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

afatbollix wrote: »
    My stingy brother gave me a piece of turf for christmas.

As I live in London he thought I would like a bit of Ireland to bring back with me.

and yes he was serious! It wasn't like he is broke he bought a house 2 weeks ago!

I'd launch that turf through the favourite window of his new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Yis'll all be doing the brick/bottle of water in the cistern thing if metered water charges ever get introduced...

Seriously, though, it's actually good practice. A lot of older toilets have 12 litre flushes, which is a ridiculous amount of water to use every time you have a slash.

Agreed. All newer toilets have 2 flushes (small and large) and the cistern are around 1/3 the size of standard/old cisterns.

Are people stingy if they buy those instead of the old fashioned ones? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Cian A wrote: »
    My old primary school principal was incredibly stingy.

Just a few examples of the stingy measures he took to save money:
    -Made us put milk cartons filled with water in the toilet cistern to save water
    -Turned the refrigerators off at night so our milk was always sour at lunch
    -Took away the bins and made us take all of our rubbish home with us.

In my primary school, we had to bring our own toilet paper! The school stopped providing toilet paper when I was in 5th class (2001-02) so we had to remember to bring a roll in with us. And if you forgot, you'd have to beg some off your classmates or just do without. We had to bring our own soap as well to wash our hands. This was pre-recession, I have no idea why they were let away with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

My mom isn't stingy but is definitely frugal. Best recent example was we were writing out Christmas cards at home. I wrote one for a friend of mine on the wrong type of Card (Wanted to pick a less cutesy card given he's a guy) So I just rewrote the card using the correct one. I was about to throw the incorrect one out when my Mam said.

"Don't throw it out, we can send it to them next year!"

Dead serious, she had me put it back in the box for use next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Cian A wrote: »
    I would think that was just being money-smart. Stingy would be re-using wrapping paper etc..

I'm never stingy on the presents I give but would reuse wrapping paper if I could as it usually gets torn up and binned immediately anyway. Mostly it gets torn to shreds but sometimes it's very much over wrapped and I think it's a pity to stick it into the recycling bin if it's still in one piece. I think wrapping paper and especially cards are a commercialized scam and destroy trees for silly reasons. Theres an element of stinginess in this thread but somewhere I would hope to find a recession busting tip :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Exactemundo ! Displaying "proper" Christmas cards is part of the tradition of decorating your gaff for Xmas. There is nothing remotely Christmassy about getting photos of people that you already know what they look like, even if they are all wearing nausea inducing Xmas jumpers. :rolleyes:

My sister in law (who has a well deserved reputation for being cheap) goes into town every Xmas Eve. She buys loads and loads of plain silver and gold Xmas wrapping paper, gift bags, bows etc etc that are being sold off for a song just before the shops close. She uses them to wrap birthday, christening & wedding pressies for the rest of the year. As there is nothing overly Christmassy about it all, it does not look out of place for a wedding or birthday pressie. She comes from a big family. Someone is always getting married, engaged or having a baby, so there is always a big demand for gift wrapping material. Her kids give her grief about, but I just think that it is smart, savvy shopping and not a bit stingy. Thoughts?

That's a good idea. *robs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

psychward wrote: »
    I'm never stingy on the presents I give but would reuse wrapping paper if I could as it usually gets torn up and binned immediately anyway. Mostly it gets torn to shreds but sometimes it's very much over wrapped and I think it's a pity to stick it into the recycling bin if it's still in one piece. I think wrapping paper and especially cards are a commercialized scam and destroy trees for silly reasons. Theres an element of stinginess in this thread but somewhere I would hope to find a recession busting tip :pac:

Nah, you're trying to justify being a tightwad by claiming to save the planet. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

One of my friends went out with this guy on a date a few years ago.
    My friend is a pioneer and asked for a coke or some other soft drink.
    The guy arrived back with one drink and 2 straws for them both.
    I am sure he is still out there alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

okiss wrote: »

Stingy or well played?...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paul the great

A family friend (lets call him Bill) who is a taxi driver was having his childs christning a few years ago. Bills father attended this and at the end of the day when everybody was going home Bills father looked for a lift home. Now Bills father lives about 15 miles away in the town Bill bases his taxi business in and was travelling into town for work anyway. When they arrived at the door Bill charged his father full taxi fare for the lift home despite the fact he was going here anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill hasent lived this down since!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

A family friend (lets call him Bill) who is a taxi driver was having his childs christning a few years ago. Bills father attended this and at the end of the day when everybody was going home Bills father looked for a lift home. Now Bills father lives about 15 miles away in the town Bill bases his taxi business in and was travelling into town for work anyway. When they arrived at the door Bill charged his father full taxi fare for the lift home despite the fact he was going here anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to meet you Bill (or should we call you Paul), I'm Alan! Welcome to boards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Thats rotten, his own father.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I remember a lad telling me that his dad who's a taxi driver was dropping him and a few mates off to the airport and that his dad charged them 40 quid. Also the lad told the story like it was the normal thing to do. I'd throw my folks 20 odd quid for the petrol if they gave me a lift but to actually stick the meter on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

A guy I know down the road from me is notoriously stingy. He got it from his parents in fairness. Stingiest, most spiteful people I know.

The lad barely worked a day in his life and receives illness benefit or whatever it is called, for an illness he himself admits he does not have. He thinks it's hilarious. The only reason I ever am in is company is because he grew up in the same estate as many of my mates who I play football with. He routinely shows up for football without the 4 or 5 euro for the use of the astroturf, claiming that he has no money. Often times this is true, but because he buys new clothes and such, every bloody week.

For someone who isn't working, you wouldn't read too much into it, but every week when he gets his money he goes into town and buys all before him. He is usually penniless by Friday evening.

My brother made the mistake of lending him money a couple of years ago, because he gave him a bleeding heart story of how his mom wasn't able to pay the rent. My brother didn't want to lend him the money, but the story the fella had concocted got the better of his judgement. He was fairly tight for cash himself, being a hard working apprentice, barely keeping a roof over his head with the money he got. He lent the money on the condition that it be returned as soon as his money came through the following Thursday.

Yer man went missing for about 3 weeks. Was not contactable. Avoided situations that would see them cross paths. The day after my brother's rent was due, he gave me a call as he was desperate for cash to pay his rent. I went as far as him to give it to him, as I would hate to have been in the same position myself. I just asked in passing how he managed to leave himself so far short. After pressing him a bit, he admitted it was because of yer man.

When he told me he would pay back ASAP, I told him not to worry, that I would sort that cvnt out and get my money back from him instead.

After biting my tongue for a long while, I started to confront the fella. On several occasions he told me to meet him at the post office when it opened and he would give it to me then. Anytime we arranged this, he instructed his mother to collect his money or cheque, or whatever it was.

After seeing him, time upon time, with wads of cash each week(not literally wads), I threatened to call into the friendly local Garda station on my way home, the next time I passed it. Half of the money he "didn't have" suddenly arrived at my house 10 minutes later. He also tried to make it appear to the other occupants of the car that he was lending me money. I decided to make it crystal clear what the situation was to all parties present.

Some may think that I am making certain assumptions, but I know these people for years, and my father the older generation of them. They receive more than enough money from the state to live comfortably. They have sky+ and big screen TV's and expensive broadband packages that working people would do well to pay. Before anyone mentions it, I'm not jealous of Sky+. I hardly ever watch TV and sure why would I when I have boards.ie!

In my local internet café, in which you have to pre-pay for your time, he somehow managed to get them to give him 20 or 30 euro on his account, because he said he was broke. The library down the fvcking road has free internet FFS. When the credit on his account was exhausted, he purposely avoided the café if there was a staff member present who knew of the "arrangement". I got talking to the owner one day about how he gave yer man credit. I told him what I knew of his "customer's" character. Between myself and one of his staff, we convinced him that he was being ridiculed by the fella around town, because he "done him out of 30 quid of internet", and was extremely proud of it.

Another gem I heard about him came from a good friend of mine. They used to go to the chipper on the way home from football on the weekend. The fella would usually sulk in the corner, and complain about having no money until someone would pity him, even though he was always the person insistent on going there. On one occasion, he stunned everyone by going up and insisting on ordering for the lads. They could do nothing but take advantage of this miracle. This miracle however was short-lived. One of the fellas overheard the conversations between him and the woman behind the counter. "Ah, erm... I don't have the money for you now, but I'll give it to you on Thursday". They were understandably stunned. They were in such disbelief that they didn't make much of it. For nearly a year after that day, it was noted that he avoided the place whenever the people that served him were working.

I could write a book about the fvcker, I seem to have gotten halfway there already! Christ I didn't realise I had gone on such a rant...

PS.

I finally got the rest of the money he owed off him, when a group of us were putting money in together to buy something. His share covered 20 euro over what he had owed for more than 18 months. He had the cheek to threaten me, for "stealing his money". Nobody would entertain his protests now in any case because, as they say, his reputation precedes him.

EDIT: Officially my longest post ever!
    Have a friend who's as stingy but even she pays what she owes,has the guy no shame? couldn't be friends with someone like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

kyub wrote: »
    I'd launch that turf through the favourite window of his new house.
    Lives in London. Might not have any. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I remember a lad telling me that his dad who's a taxi driver was dropping him and a few mates off to the airport and that his dad charged them 40 quid. Also the lad told the story like it was the normal thing to do. I'd throw my folks 20 odd quid for the petrol if they gave me a lift but to actually stick the meter on.

Reminds me of a close relative. He's as tight as the day is long, and it causes endless problems within the family, which is why I have little to do with him. He has ALWAYS charged his sister and parents for any lift they got off him. Never offered a penny when his bro-in-law drives him around like a chauffeur though!
    This year was another classic of his scroogeness. Miracle of miracles, he offered to host the family for dinner. They found out afterwards that he'd browbeaten the money for the food out of his elderly father who is unwell. This lad isn't short of a few bob incidentally. He showered about £500 of gear on his equally weirdo girlfriend this Xmas.
    Anyway, the oul lad having paid a fortune for the food, this gob****e served everyone up one slice of turkey each, and handed out tins of carlsberg over dinner. Then gave out when his brother, who is unemployed and very much living hand to mouth, but a generous soul, only gave him a branded bag and a DVD.
    Later, one of the infants was running around and got the hold of her ma's purse and grabbed a wad of notes and stuffed them in the bin (it's a game this toddler plays - putting everything she can lay her hands on in the nearest bin.)
    When the kid's ma got home she found a £20 missing and rang yer man. Now, the entire family saw the kid stick the notes in the bin. But he swore blind that there was no money there, never had been and she must have lost it somewhere else. Of course, apart from her car, she wasn't anywhere else.
    He came crying to me one time because he'd leeched all he could out of the rest of the family and still needed money to buy out his ex from their house. I was never so happy to be able to tell anyone to go and fuck themselves in my life.

Later, one of the infants was running around and got the hold of her ma's purse and grabbed a wad of notes and stuffed them in the bin (it's a game this toddler plays - putting everything she can lay her hands on in the nearest bin.)
    When the kid's ma got home she found a £20 missing and rang yer man. Now, the entire family saw the kid stick the notes in the bin. But he swore blind that there was no money there, never had been and she must have lost it somewhere else. Of course, apart from her car, she wasn't anywhere else.

It never occurred to one of yu that it would be a good idea to take the money out of the bin and return it to the owner. Seems somewhat ridicolous that a whole family of adults would watch an infant put money in bin and then just leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

It never occurred to one of yu that it would be a good idea to take the money out of the bin and return it to the owner. Seems somewhat ridicolous that a whole family of adults would watch an infant put money in bin and then just leave it there.

I wasn't there. But yer man took the money out of the bin and returned it to the ma. I probably should have made that clear earlier, but I was writing in white heat. Possibly he legitimately missed a note. (Then again, I wouldn't put him past palming it.) But you can bet yer arse he found it later when told there was a note missing if not before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i admire her for that, i do the same with christmas cards, the cards i bought for six euro three weeks before christmas, were down to fifty cent on christmas eve, bought ten different boxes and when i got counter i thought i would be paying a fiver, instead the cashier said that will be two euro please, they are fab cards look good and i am happy with that, i also bought a christmas tree it was seven foot, for a fiver, took the thing apart and made a big sway for kitchen diner, put a few bows and balls on and a set of lights, hey presto, it is beautiful and i would hate to put a price on it if i had to buy it as it is now, the christmas tree had been selling at thirty five euro a week earlier,
    i do go mad on christmas eve, money goes ten times further that a few days before christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

okiss wrote: »

What a hopeless romantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What a hopeless romantic.

you're half right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

My housemate wouldn't buy a new bulb for the sitting room because she said she didn't use that room (which she does!!) She is from Cavan wouldnt' ya know:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Heard about this bloke who wanted to sell his unopened tray of heineken cans left over from christmas.

Someone suggest going up the moore street in which he replied that they were too heavy to be carrying.

Now that I think of the subject of stinginess : When I was abroad on Erasmus an Irish ''friend'' invited me and a bunch of Spanish Erasmus students for an ''Irish breakfast'' or dinner at his apartment. When it was over he demanded 5 euro from each one to cover expenses. I was the only one there that actually got a bit angry over this. I told him that if I invited anyone for dinner at my place I don't charge them like a restaurant. Maybe I'm naive (and he didnt expect anyone to invite him back which was wrong in my case) but it just seems wrong. The Spanish and the Italian had no issues paying. I paid just because I did'nt want to make him think I owed him anything and we were in the middle of a boom anyway and my pocket was full of cash I had saved up before going away. I did however make a scene. Was I right or wrong ? I just can't see how it's right to invite someone over and then charge them otherwise it's not an invite but a form of extortion or a piss poor restaurant. I would have spent the money on a kebab instead and still have change left over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Now that I think of the subject of stinginess : When I was abroad on Erasmus an Irish ''friend'' invited me and a bunch of Spanish Erasmus students for an ''Irish breakfast'' or dinner at his apartment. When it was over he demanded 5 euro from each one to cover expenses. I was the only one there that actually got a bit angry over this. I told him that if I invited anyone for dinner at my place I don't charge them like a restaurant. Maybe I'm naive (and he didnt expect anyone to invite him back which was wrong in my case) but it just seems wrong. The Spanish and the Italian had no issues paying. I paid just because I did'nt want to make him think I owed him anything and we were in the middle of a boom anyway and my pocket was full of cash I had saved up before going away. I did however make a scene. Was I right or wrong ? I just can't see how it's right to invite someone over and then charge them otherwise it's not an invite but a form of extortion or a piss poor restaurant. I would have spent the money on a kebab instead and still have change left over :)

guy was a *****r, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

There's nothing wrong with him asking for you to pay - the problem I would have here is that it wasn't made clear before accepting the "invitation" that you had to pay. I wouldn't care if I had just won the euromillions - I'd have told him to f$%k off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Invited "guests", NEVER, have to pay !

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    guy was a *****r, simple.
    Tom wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with him asking for you to pay - the problem I would have here is that it wasn't made clear before accepting the "invitation" that you had to pay. I wouldn't care if I had just won the euromillions - I'd have told him to f$%k off.

You are probably both right. He was the least hard up of all of us too as he worked as an electrician in his dads company during the boom and on his holidays. If you invite someone to have a meal at your place anyway it should be a social gesture not a financial one. Not only that but theres also the concept of hospitality and acting as an ambassador (within reason) for the foreign students who were also there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement