Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Gophur wrote: »
    Invited "guests", NEVER, have to pay !

True. You are either a guest or you are a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

psychward wrote: »
    Now that I think of the subject of stinginess : When I was abroad on Erasmus an Irish ''friend'' invited me and a bunch of Spanish Erasmus students for an ''Irish breakfast'' or dinner at his apartment. When it was over he demanded 5 euro from each one to cover expenses. I was the only one there that actually got a bit angry over this. I told him that if I invited anyone for dinner at my place I don't charge them like a restaurant. Maybe I'm naive (and he didnt expect anyone to invite him back which was wrong in my case) but it just seems wrong. The Spanish and the Italian had no issues paying. I paid just because I did'nt want to make him think I owed him anything and we were in the middle of a boom anyway and my pocket was full of cash I had saved up before going away. I did however make a scene. Was I right or wrong ? I just can't see how it's right to invite someone over and then charge them otherwise it's not an invite but a form of extortion or a piss poor restaurant. I would have spent the money on a kebab instead and still have change left over :)
    Did you come to dinner empty handed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Victor wrote: »
    Did you come to dinner empty handed?

I can't remember specifically if I did or not apart from the 5 Euro but he never did. I helped cook a lot of it for the Spanish and Italian guests who were there to experience some Irish cooking. I think at least one of them brought something akin to Serrano which was very nice but she still was asked for 5 Euro at the end and probably paid out of politeness. I would never expect someone to bring something when invited anyway apart from on a birthday etc. It was fairly normal for people to eat at one anothers places and that was the first time I'd ever seen anyone asked for money. A very social thing and I felt introducing money ruined that aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Tom wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with him asking for you to pay - the problem I would have here is that it wasn't made clear before accepting the "invitation" that you had to pay. I wouldn't care if I had just won the euromillions - I'd have told him to f$%k off.

Are you serious? You don't invite people to your house for dinner if you can't afford to feed them :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

He was in the wrong. Who invites someone to their house for tea and asks you to pay for it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

psychward wrote: »
    Now that I think of the subject of stinginess : When I was abroad on Erasmus an Irish ''friend'' invited me and a bunch of Spanish Erasmus students for an ''Irish breakfast'' ... Was I right or wrong ? I just can't see how it's right to invite someone over and then charge them otherwise it's not an invite but a form of extortion or a piss poor restaurant. I would have spent the money on a kebab instead and still have change left over :)

Ugh. Something similar happened to me over ten years ago, I was a trainee in recruitment company so not making even vaguely decent money yet, a woman on team invited us all to hers for BBQ. It was across town other direction, middle of week before payday so all a bit broke / tired but we thought it'd be rude not to go. This woman was one of the biggest billers in company and this was back in days when recruitment paid a LOT. We were still in office all chatting and working out who would taxi with who to her house when she walked into room and requested ten pounds from all of us. You can imagine my delight after I also forked out for taxi there to be greated by a few burgers (I'm veggie) and doritos which had apparently cost £140, I was asked to cough up more cash for my booze because the tenner only covered food (an expensive handful of doritos for me). Add £30 for another taxi hom total of £60 out of my pittance paycheque seemed a lot for sitting in aomebodys house. These days I'd tell her to get bent effectively tricking us into buying her weeks groceries but I was young / new in company and given how much money everybody was always throwing around I didn't want to make a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Heard about this bloke who wanted to sell his unopened tray of heineken cans left over from christmas.

Someone suggest going up the moore street in which he replied that they were too heavy to be carrying.
    You didn't hear this in AH by any chance? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

Things people do to try and save money is ridiculous :confused:

A few years ago I was working as a waitress in a pub when a group of four men came in. Two of them ordered steak and I cant remember what the other two ordered. So i took the order and gave them their drinks and brought out their meals when they were ready. now this was good pub food where you got value for your money and sides were not charged extra. About ten minutes after they received their food and went to check on the table, yano see if everything was ok, if they had enough of everything the usual! Then it began one of the men who had ordered the steak started telling me how disgusting it was, barely edible and slop for what he was paying :confused: now i was a bit taken aback not because he was complaining but because over half the food on his plate had been devoured and also because he didnt even stop eating the ''disgusting'' steak to complain...he had his mouth full the whole time :eek: :eek:

so i gathered myself and like all good waitresses I first apologised, then offered to take it away and get him somthing else from the menu that he might enjoy more! he declined!

When it eventually came time to clearing the plates I tried again to be pleasant...was everything ok? would you like deserts to which this man again replies how unsatisfied he was etc. at this point i found it hard not to laugh!! every single of morsel of food had been cleared from his plate and from his side dish...it literally looked like he had licked the plate clean :D
    So again I apologised cleared the plates and went about my day...i thought it was over there! nope that was just the intro!

he eventually sauntered up to the till to pay...so i clock up the bill and he looks at me in disbelief...he then proceeds to have a ten minute argument with me that he shouldn't have to pay for his steak because he didn't like it to which i replied he wouldn't have been charged for the steak if he had not eaten it/accepted something else and the argument went back and forth for ten minutes until he realised I wasn't budging and he'd have to pay!! :D

The effort some people go to save money never fails to amuse me...if that's how he left a plate of food he didn't enjoy I'd hate to see how the condition of a plate that food he liked was served on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I saw a woman make 3 cups of tea using only 1 tea bag, she wasn't even the one that bought the tea bags so I don't know why she was saving them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Lallz wrote: »
    Two of them ordered steak and I cant remember what the other two ordered.
    Maybe thats why they didn't want to pay :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

shuffles88 wrote: »
    I saw a woman make 3 cups of tea using only 1 tea bag, she wasn't even the one that bought the tea bags so I don't know why she was saving them
    Maybe she doesn't like strong tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Victor wrote: »
    Maybe she doesn't like strong tea.
    I've known people who don't like strong tea they'll still use an individual tea bag for each cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

This is something I heard from an old neighbour of mine over Christmas.

He and his girlfriend are living abroad and his father invited them home, to Ireland, for Christmas. He got 4 days off work over Christmas so he and his girlfriend flew over here and arrived on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning he went out to the garage to get smokes and received a text from his dad saying that the cost of the Christmas dinner is €50 per head and his wife would be collecting the money. He thought it was a joke but his brothers and sister got the same text.

So, this lads father invited his son and his girlfriend to his house for dinner and after paying for all the travel arrangements and flying the 4 hours home they were charged another €100 for the turkey and ham dinner, some Christmas pudding and a couple of glasses of wine.

Prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

PrettyBoy wrote: »

He and his girlfriend are living abroad and his father invited them home, to Ireland, for Christmas. He got 4 days off work over Christmas so he and his girlfriend flew over here and arrived on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning he went out to the garage to get smokes and received a text from his dad saying that the cost of the Christmas dinner is €50 per head and his wife would be collecting the money. He thought it was a joke but his brothers and sister got the same text.

So, this lads father invited his son and his girlfriend to his house for dinner and after paying for all the travel arrangements and flying the 4 hours home they were charged another €100 for the turkey and ham dinner, some Christmas pudding and a couple of glasses of wine.

Prick.

Yeah.

If you invite someone they shouldn't have to pay. They should, however, bring something with them.

What would be different is if, say a group of friends said something like: "OK, let's have all have a Thanksgiving dinner for the craic." Someone says: "We can have it in my house. I don't mind cooking but can we all share the cost?"

But a standard dinner invite should not carry a fee!!! Crazy people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Yeah.

If you invite someone they shouldn't have to pay. They should, however, bring something with them.

What would be different is if, say a group of friends said something like: "OK, let's have all have a Thanksgiving dinner for the craic." Someone says: "We can have it in my house. I don't mind cooking but can we all share the cost?"

But a standard dinner invite should not carry a fee!!! Crazy people

True, but even if invited to someone's house for dinner I wouldn't dream of turning up empty handed- I'd probably suggest bringing dessert or something...

Well yeah, but there's a difference between bringing a desert or a bottle of wine or something, and demanding people pay you for food you offered to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Turning up "with your hands hangin' to ya" is almost as bad as charging a fee imho.

Both acts eat away at the integrity of the social contract that surrounds the dinner party invite. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

shuffles88 wrote: »
    Or maybe doesn't want too much caffeine

Sorry, I forgot to mention his girlfriend is Spanish and brought various traditional Spanish deserts which she herself spent "nearly" €100 on, not sure if the son brought anything but if my dad invited me and my girlfriend to dinner and then asked me to pay for it I'd tell him where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

A guy working with us lately is the stingiest person I know .
    A client gave us a jar of quatity street for Christmas .
    He sat down and scoffed the lot without offering us any .
    Now as if that's not bad enough , he's a very bad diabetic , so he spent the rest of the day checking his blood sugar and injecting himself with insulin .
    When I asked him what the hell was he thinking , he said its ok I get it for free coz I got a medical card !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Now as if that's not bad enough , he's a very bad diabetic , so he spent the rest of the day checking his blood sugar and injecting himself with insulin .
    When I asked him what the hell was he thinking , he said its ok I get it for free coz I got a medical card !

Ye right:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Ye right:rolleyes:

Not a word of a lie
    His name is Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CHRIS JERICHO

Oh where to start ? so many stingy people out there really disllike stingy ppl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Heres a weird one my Dad told me over dinner tonight.

In his early 20s working as a sign writer he got a job painting a new sign on an old womans shop front (it was a clothes shop for those who care).

He went out, they went through how she wanted it done and she gave him a plastic bag that had the shops name and the letter font and whatever else printed on it.

He went back to do the job, back then the majority of signs where hand painted meaning the job took 7 hours due to poor surface and fancy fonts with shading etc. During this time the old woman came out a number of times to see how the work was going.

When he was finished the woman came out and pointed out that he had mis-spelled her name on it (a case of a surname with an optional e or whatever it was) and she mentioned in passing that the same thing happened with her husbands headstone and she had gotten it for free.

The penny then dropped, the womans plastic bags where printed with the mis-spelling as was her yellow pages slot, her husbands headstone and now her shop-front, all so she could claim discounts or even get it for free.

We had a good laugh about it but imagine if someone tried pulling something like that on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Prick.

That's hilariously stingy. You'd imagine most parents would be delighted to see their kids home from living abroad at christmas but this weirdo just seems to have used them as a way of getting a bit of profit!
    What christmas dinner costs that much per head anyway

That's hilariously stingy. You'd imagine most parents would be delighted to see their kids home from living abroad at christmas but this weirdo just seems to have used them as a way of getting a bit of profit!

He made a tidy profit alright, hopefully he feels it was worth it. I can't imagine the humiliation I'd feel if I had to tell my girlfriend that my father was charging us for Christmas dinner, if it were me I'd have said nothing to her.

Have always looked at through this thread the odd time but never had anything to contribute until now, some of the stories in this thread are just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Thats some welcome home! If they asked their son to bring something like the wine, that would be fair enough but to ask for €100.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Heres a weird one my Dad told me over dinner tonight.

In his early 20s working as a sign writer he got a job painting a new sign on an old womans shop front (it was a clothes shop for those who care).

He went out, they went through how she wanted it done and she gave him a plastic bag that had the shops name and the letter font and whatever else printed on it.

He went back to do the job, back then the majority of signs where hand painted meaning the job took 7 hours due to poor surface and fancy fonts with shading etc. During this time the old woman came out a number of times to see how the work was going.

When he was finished the woman came out and pointed out that he had mis-spelled her name on it (a case of a surname with an optional e or whatever it was) and she mentioned in passing that the same thing happened with her husbands headstone and she had gotten it for free.

The penny then dropped, the womans plastic bags where printed with the mis-spelling as was her yellow pages slot, her husbands headstone and now her shop-front, all so she could claim discounts or even get it for free.

We had a good laugh about it but imagine if someone tried pulling something like that on you.

Not sure if thats genius or messed up....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just a question, do you do your own shopping, especially for christmas?

doesnt cost 50euro for the dinner per head of course, but our christmas shopping all included for the week cost about 250euro. myself and the missus had her parents over for the week and thats what we spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

just a question, do you do your own shopping, especially for christmas?

doesnt cost 50euro for the dinner per head of course, but our christmas shopping all included for the week cost about 250euro. myself and the missus had her parents over for the week and thats what we spent.

But that covered food for over a week I would assume? And never mind how long ham and turkey sandwiches last.

Charging family 50 euro a plate is too much, if you're hard up for cash you ask for 20, not 50.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement