Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would intentionally have pepperoni as I knew the Muslim guy couldnt have pork

Perperoni is generally made from donkey (true)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Not sure what the Koran says about donkey meat...

I would like to say in my defence I often worked 12-14 hours per day and that would be my dinner so I was too hungry to share and he was only part-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

my brother licks the pizza so we dont ask for any

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

latchyco wrote: »
    Why does that not surprise me . Compared to other EU countries they are not big on putting their hands in their pockets to help charities either .

But then we have all heard the term
    '' going dutch '' ( buy your own ) .

I fear i have read enough BS.
    A lot of nonsense has been written here about Germans, Italians, Dutch and a few others.
    All the time it is "i know this german/Dutch/Spanish....." and then followed by: "yes, that is how the german/dutch/spanish are.
    I suppose that in every post where there was no nationality mentioned, the poster was telling a story about an irish person? So i have the right to say on each "Irish" post... Well, that is how they all are?

If there is one thing where the Dutch are for sure not stingy it is at charities.
    Funds raised after the tsunami exceeded €390 million.

Click this one and compare Ireland and Holland and call the Dutch stingy again.

Stingy people exist everywhere, it has nothing to do with nationality.
    Also dont confuse being economical with being stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'll have to back up "inforfun" myself. I've lived in Germany for the past one and a half years and been back and forth to from Ireland for the past eight.

I've never once thought Germans were stingy. Rude, arrogant, two-faced, trouble makers, amongst other things but not stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

inforfun wrote: »
    I fear i have had read enough BS.
    A lot of nonsense has been written here about Germans, Italians, Dutch and a few others.
    All the time it is "i know this german/Dutch/Spanish....." and then followed by: "yes, theat is how the german/dutch/spanish are.
    I suppose that in every post where there was no nationality mentioned, the poster was tellign a story about an irish person? So i have the right to say on each "Irish" post... Well, that is how they all are?

If there is one thing where the Dutch are for sure not stingy it is at charities.

having recently moved to germany i disagree. whatever about charaties ect. the carry on of some germans in pubs is disgraceful.

in the pub i work in i routinely encouter germans haggling over prices ect.
    dont even get me started on the tips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I see this desending into a <insert your tight nationality of choice here> ..are so stingy thread followed by “notheyrenotnotheyrenot”. As usual a good thread will be ruined by the fightin’ Irish.

Oh, and Germans are the tightest of the tight. Wasn’t it their stash that funded the CT?

I was on a train once going from where I was living at the time on into Frieburg and heard this woman giving out yards to the ticket guy. My German wasn’t great at the time, but I could get the jist of it. Basically she was a teacher and she had about 12 kids out with there and they were going to Frieburg and she had bought their tickets - I don’t know was it at the station or where – but she discovered she had been charged a penny over on each ticket. And she was going nutty! I mean she was scaring the kids and demanding that she get her refund and how awful it was and how dare blah blah.

Youd a sworn it was 12 quid she was after having poked. I felt bad for the poor ticket collector. The hatchet faced aul cow really read the riot act.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

I used to live in a house with 5 other people. Our rooms were ensuite & spacious but the living room/ kitchen was quite small for 6 ppl. One of the girls in the house had her young sister stay for the ENTIRE SUMMER without asking us once. It was so frustrating. we all thought this young one was looking for a gaf of her own (we often heard her on the phone talking about rooms and stuff) but she ended up staying all summer. Giving a tiny few quid towards esb and not contributing in any other way to bills or towards internet (she was online every evening watching shows & movies slowing it for the rest of us)..She'd sit around on days off in her pjs & never apologise for being in the way.. we'd never be able to have breakfast as she'd be asleep on the bloody couch.. anyway at the end of the summer she fked off on a 3 wk holiday to the Canaries while the rest of us couldn't go anywhere!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This year for Christmas we decided to do a secret santa among the extended family, so that everyone would get one big present instead of a few smaller things. Part of the reason for this is that one of my uncles doesn't have much money right now, and probably wouldn't have been able to afford presents. So, each family put an undisclosed amount of money in, and this was divided up between all the cousins, aunts and uncles. It worked out as about €60 per person. Anyway, Christmas day when the present swapping occured, I received a Jo Malone bag containing a bottle of perfume. Not a Jo Malone perfume, a cheap perfume that wasn't even in a box and wasn't sealed. In fact, when I took the lid off I found there was a strange green tinge around the mouth of the bottle, and the perfume itself is green. Looks like whoever got me gave me an unwanted old bottle of perfume, and pocketed the €60 :mad:

There is a guy in a sports club with me in college who is well known for being a stinge - whenever we are getting taxis or whatever he will claim to have no money on him, and get somebody else to pay for him. One time we were getting a taxi in Edinburgh and he pretended to have no money, and yet when we got out of the taxi he suddenly had money to buy himself a bag of chips and a deep fried Mars bar. This is just one example of how scabby he is, everything he does revolves around saving money, it is now well known not to lend him money for anything cos you'll never see it again.

A few years ago my brother was going on a post Leaving Cert holiday to Crete with some people from his year. One guy was also talking about what they'd do when he got to Crete, and they were all a bit confused because nobody had booked with him. Turned out he had gone and booked flights to Crete by himself, and was expecting to be able to crash on somebody's floor for two weeks for free. They basically told him to **** off, and he got really annoyed because he had already paid for his flights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

A "friend" of mine from college days was notoriously stingy and always scabbed smokes off everyone and drank the dregs from pints at the end of the night.

A few of us organised a trip to Amsterdam a few years ago and he turned up at the airport expecting to "bunk in" on our organised accomodation....

He eventually had to pay his way though (we weren't having any of it!) but we got our own back by getting him well out of it (he fell in one place and split his head open on a step) and dumping him back at the hotel while we all headed off to the strip club :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

All the time it is "i know this german/Dutch/Spanish....." and then followed by: "yes, that is how the german/dutch/spanish are.
    I suppose that in every post where there was no nationality mentioned, the poster was telling a story about an irish person? So i have the right to say on each "Irish" post... Well, that is how they all are?

Am I reading this wrong?

Ireland Public + NGO : USD 97.94M
    Netherlands Public + NGO : USD 208.6M

Hey neat, they gave twice as much money as us. Allthough it is probably worth mentioning that the Netherlands is a country with almost 4 times our population.

I realise of course that the government made a much higher pledge, but we did not exactly get to vote on that or anything did we?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

livvy wrote: »
    When i was in college the girl i shared with took the Superser gas heater connecter thingy home at weekends so i couldn't use the gas heater - i lived too far away to go home every weekend.. That was years ago but i will never forget it.

It sounds like she thought you were the stingy one - Maybe if you'd offered to pay for your share of the gas????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

We are gearalising about nationalities with a bit of tongue in cheek humor .Like The Italians and spanish do sit over a coffee for a hr or two on end and my expierences of the other nationalities mentioned are also true .I have dutch relitives and every guilder ..opps euro is counted for and I never being in the company of a dutchman were he offered to buy a drink .But that's in staying with the thread title .I mentioned earlier about the difference between thriftyness and stingyness .The same applys to being economical .Of course stingyness is an individual thing as opposed to saying a whole race . but as mentioned the Netherlands has a much bigger population ( 4 times irelands ) which explains the differences in donations to charities .I am sure some of the nationlities mentioned have their fare share of charity givers .It's not a rant about nationalities .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

oeb wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong?

Hey neat, they gave twice as much money as us. Allthough it is probably worth mentioning that the Netherlands is a country with almost 4 times our population.

I realise of course that the government made a much higher pledge, but we did not exactly get to vote on that or anything did we?

Yeah our Government were much stingier than Holland, but then again don't the Dutch Government claim massive taxes off their workers (I may be wrong)?

It looks like the Irish public donated €12.54 pp while the Dutch public donated €9.76 pp, not too much difference there if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Please don't turn this into a "which country is meaner" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Please don't turn this into a "which country is meaner" thread.

Hear hear

One of the best boards threads ive read sofar

My mate drives to other side of town to save 1c on litre of petrol, claiming "Its the principle of the thing" :rolleyes:

Sure it is :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

I used to work with a guy that was so miserable that when his car needed a new battery he bought the smallest and cheapest one in the garage so that unless he was parked facing downhill he couldn't start the fecking car and would end up giving you a call to come and jump start him. He never put more than €5 of petrol in the car at any one time in case it was stolen and he lost his investment (the car was a saxo). He lived with a group of spanish students who worked in mickey d's and they would bring him home the unsold burgers which he would hoard and eat no matter how old they were. That all said he was a really nice block who always stood his round and was never shy about buying you a drink. He did once reach into a urinal in a club once to remove a €5 note though.

Have only worked with one Frenchy and he was the most miserable fecker I ever had the misfortune to meet. We all lived in the same house for a summer and he ate and drank eveyone elses stuff. On the last night we had a big party and he did his ususal trick of drinking everyone elses beer. He then stood up and announced he was going to the off licencse to but some more. We were all shocked. He came back with 4 cans of beer for the 4 lads living in the house (one each) despite the fact the party was heaving. He then proceeded to make a big deal out of opening and pouring them for us. He actually though that buying 4 beers was a big deal.

We were in the pub once and he as usual had no money, I bought him a can of tennents (west of mayo pub) which he drank and then spent the next hour with the can upside down banging it onto his glass to get the last drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yeah our Government were much stingier than Holland, but then again don't the Dutch Government claim massive taxes off their workers (I may be wrong)?

It looks like the Irish public donated €12.54 pp while the Dutch public donated €9.76 pp, not too much difference there if you ask me!

Last post about this, I promise =)

Take a read of this especially the last column. NL = 12.78 pp, IE 24.86 pp. We already know our government are a shower of money grabbing **** anyway, so I don't think anyone was too supprised that they did not 'dig deep'. But it is a very good reflection on the Irish public in my opinion. In fact, if you look at that chart, when it came to public donations Ireland was the highest per person by a good 20%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Thanks to many of you for the entertaining stories I've been reading for the last couple of hours! I have a small one myself.

I have a friend who works in a certain dental hospital on the south side of the city. We often go out for drinks in pubs in the area and are regularly joined by the hospital IT manager. You'd think that being a manager, on relatively good money, would mean that this guy would buy a round once in a while but no, never. When it comes to his round he always has to go home.

If we happen to have food or need to get a taxi somewhere, where we pay as a group, he just puts his hand in his pocket and dumps a load of change in the centre of the table or gives it to whoever's paying the taxi man. Funnily enough, the change is always less than 5 quid.

My mate collects the 20p off next newspaper vouchers from the daily paper saving himself about £1.50 a week .That works out at £ 6 pound a month = £72 a year .Thrifty ? economical ? stingness ? Not sure tbh but 20p a day to read a 40p newspaper (shyte ) sounds ok . :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm friends with a couple who do the single entity rounds thing. So whenever the three of us are out I end up buying twice as many drinks as them. Worst thing is I rarely drink so their round is even cheaper than it would normally be.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'm friends with a couple who do the single entity rounds thing. So whenever the three of us are out I end up buying twice as many drinks as them. Worst thing is I rarely drink so their round is even cheaper than it would normally be.

I fcuking hate that..:mad:..I got done for that fairly regularly..I usually insist on just buying for the guy and telling him to sort his own women out..hard nosed but I am not a charity

Hrududu wrote: »
    Why dont you suggest going dutch as in 'I'll buy me own when it suits me and you look after your own womon '' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Leaving Prague by train a few summers back and we all placed some crappy local coins on the tracks to kill some time.
    Needless to say the scab of the group was quickly scampering down and managed to buy himself and icepop with the proceeds

Thanks to many of you for the entertaining stories I've been reading for the last couple of hours! I have a small one myself.

I have a friend who works in a certain dental hospital on the south side of the city. We often go out for drinks in pubs in the area and are regularly joined by the hospital IT manager. You'd think that being a manager, on relatively good money, would mean that this guy would buy a round once in a while but no, never. When it comes to his round he always has to go home.

If we happen to have food or need to get a taxi somewhere, where we pay as a group, he just puts his hand in his pocket and dumps a load of change in the centre of the table or gives it to whoever's paying the taxi man. Funnily enough, the change is always less than 5 quid.

Ive a buddy like that...when getting taxis into town he never has any change..so what we now sometimes do is make sure he gets the front seat of the taxi and when it comes paying we just all jump out and when he asks for money we maintain a stoney silence so he has to pay the lot himself as the Mr Taxi is waiting and he is in the front seat..then we just throw him some loose change which will leave him short..it privately kills him...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

oeb wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong?

Yes, you are reading it wrong
    Netherlands Gov + NGO + Public = €390 million
    Ireland = € 95 million

Hey look at that... 4x as many people gave 4x as much money

Please dont leave out what the government hands out because it makes the Irish look better :pac:

I never gave to charity in Holland just because i knew the government is playing Santa from my taxes. And i know i am not the only Dutch person thinking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

le tget this back to stingy people please not countrys (more of a laugh with people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Hear hear

One of the best boards threads ive read sofar

My mate drives to other side of town to save 1c on litre of petrol, claiming "Its the principle of the thing" :rolleyes:

I agree with this principle. I'd do the same in certain circumstances, I'd go out of my way if I feel I'm being ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bloodedrose

Great thread.

I once knew a lad from Cavan who would cook his own rice then order a curry from the chinese.

i do this, but mostly because I like my rice a certain way, and chinese-takeaway rice just isn't the same. Too chewy or something.

.... Don't chinese takeaways give you free rice anyway? Isn't it the same price with or without rice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

.... Don't chinese takeaways give you free rice anyway? Isn't it the same price with or without rice?
    I know people who haved worked in them, and going on the bulk they buy it in, and the price they pay, it doesn't bother them to give some rice away with your food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement