Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

kyub wrote: »
    I'd launch that turf through the favourite window of his new house.

You have a favourite window?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

marketty wrote: »
    You have a favourite window?

You don't?!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I've made a habbit of bringing a fountain pen with me on a night out.
    There's a large pub in my town that connects to a nightclub via the smoking area. The club opens around 11 leaving an hour for the pub to close. The smoking area AND the club tends to fill up in this hour. I just look at the stamps and draw mine and my OH's on with the fountain pen, smudge it and head on inside. I don't like nightclubs, but my OH does, and I have no shame when it comes to being cheap on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    There's a large pub in my town that connects to a nightclub via the smoking area. The club opens around 11 leaving an hour for the pub to close. The smoking area AND the club tends to fill up in this hour. I just look at the stamps and draw mine and my OH's on with the fountain pen, smudge it and head on inside. I don't like nightclubs, but my OH does, and I have no shame when it comes to being cheap on a night out.

Not stingy, ingenious!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ballinteerguy

used to work with a guy once who smoked but couldnt afford to buy them, and this was years ago when they were much cheaper..
    anyway - back in the day when we had a staff room where all the staff would come in for a smoke.. the ash trays filled up quickly.
    This guy would raid the ashtray for all the butts, and take all the Un-smoked tobacco from all different brands of butts and then rolled them up making a special blend - as he called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

just a question, do you do your own shopping, especially for christmas?

doesnt cost 50euro for the dinner per head of course, but our christmas shopping all included for the week cost about 250euro. myself and the missus had her parents over for the week and thats what we spent.

not for christmas, no but i have got the goods in for a similar sized meal before(and no i didn't charge my guests) and it would have been nowhere near 50 a head.
    Plus you had them there for a week, we're talking one meal here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    This is something I heard from an old neighbour of mine over Christmas.

He and his girlfriend are living abroad and his father invited them home, to Ireland, for Christmas. He got 4 days off work over Christmas so he and his girlfriend flew over here and arrived on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning he went out to the garage to get smokes and received a text from his dad saying that the cost of the Christmas dinner is €50 per head and his wife would be collecting the money. He thought it was a joke but his brothers and sister got the same text.

So, this lads father invited his son and his girlfriend to his house for dinner and after paying for all the travel arrangements and flying the 4 hours home they were charged another €100 for the turkey and ham dinner, some Christmas pudding and a couple of glasses of wine.

Prick.

Yeah.

If you invite someone they shouldn't have to pay. They should, however, bring something with them.

What would be different is if, say a group of friends said something like: "OK, let's have all have a Thanksgiving dinner for the craic." Someone says: "We can have it in my house. I don't mind cooking but can we all share the cost?"

But a standard dinner invite should not carry a fee!!! Crazy people

Call me scabby but theres no way Id pay to celebrate a holocaust. "For the craic"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

ICANN wrote: »
    You don't?!

Having put some thought into it, I'd say my favourite is that window over the toilet, that baby sees some action

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

RichieC wrote: »
    Call me scabby but theres no way Id pay to celebrate a holocaust. "For the craic"

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

About 9 or so years ago, my sis decided she would run the NY Marathon and raise a few bob for the cancer ward that looked after my late Dad in his last couple of weeks. This wasn't one of those trips that takes half the money in fees, she paid her own way and put in a years worth of training to get there. About 3 weeks before the race we had his anniversary mass and at the tea & buns back in my mothers she mentioned her trip and it's purpose to my extended family. At this stage we (immediate family) had all chipped in a fair whack as had mine and my brother's workmates and my Dad's old work colleagues. I have one relation who would literally skin a fart and be in a position to wipe his ar*e with €50 notes and as he was leaving he called my sis into the hall. About 5 mins later she came back in absolutely scarlet with embarrassment and I asked her what happened. He had said fair play and it was a great idea and Dad would be proud of her yada, yada, yada and after rooting in his wallet for a few seconds, he squeezed a note into her hand and said here you go. She waited 'til he left to see what he had given her and when she opened her hand there was half a €5 - half as in torn in half. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

what?

I'm guessing he means thanksgiving and all the Native Americans murdered by Pilgrims in later years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Had to put this up. My mate was here last night having a few cans.
    Noticed him collecting the empty cans assumed he was putting them in the recycling bin. VERY out of character. So then i see him getting a pint glass and emptying the bits of dregs into it. When he has it half full (from the dregs of about 15 cans) he grabs a cool one from the fridge to top it up to a full pint. I asked what he was up to. ( U need a cold one to get a bit of fizz into it he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

My mate Sid is as tight as a ducks arse. He wouldn't spend Christmas.

I remember once he bought a DVD in HMV as a Christmas present for parents, then a few days later we saw it in Virgin, 50 cents cheaper, so next day he brought it back to HMV, got a credit note / refund. When I asked him if he had got it again in Virgin he said no, he didn't want to risk further 'depreciation' and that he'd learn his lesson about spending money foolishly and wouldn't be tricked again.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Heres a weird one my Dad told me over dinner tonight.

In his early 20s working as a sign writer he got a job painting a new sign on an old womans shop front (it was a clothes shop for those who care).

He went out, they went through how she wanted it done and she gave him a plastic bag that had the shops name and the letter font and whatever else printed on it.

He went back to do the job, back then the majority of signs where hand painted meaning the job took 7 hours due to poor surface and fancy fonts with shading etc. During this time the old woman came out a number of times to see how the work was going.

When he was finished the woman came out and pointed out that he had mis-spelled her name on it (a case of a surname with an optional e or whatever it was) and she mentioned in passing that the same thing happened with her husbands headstone and she had gotten it for free.

The penny then dropped, the womans plastic bags where printed with the mis-spelling as was her yellow pages slot, her husbands headstone and now her shop-front, all so she could claim discounts or even get it for free.

We had a good laugh about it but imagine if someone tried pulling something like that on you.
    If that was me, I'd have demanded payment in full or else the sign gets painted over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

If that was me, I'd have demanded payment in full or else the sign gets painted over!

The story goes he got paid half, then went at the sign with some paint thinner. As it used to be all hand painted there wern't many doing it and they all knew each other, my dad got a call off another sign writer the next day who she got to fix it to see what had gone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

A neighbour of my mine is a taxi driver. We live in town, but he has a lot of family in the Skerries/Balbriggan/Rush area. Public transport is not that good there, especially at night. He goes back to the area quite often for family events. They happen a lot as he is one of 9 kids.

He was venting to me recently about two such events that took place over the holidays (a wedding and a christening) that he had to ferry family members to and from. Every one presumed that he would be only happy to do so, him being a taxi driver and all. Between the two events, he had to make nine trips to ferry people home that his wife, his mammy and his sisters all volunteered him for.

A couple of the trips were almost as far away as Drogheda & Dundalk. Not one of the nine parties offered to give him a penny for his trouble, or contribute anything towards the cost of petrol or anything. One of people even went to far as to tell him that he would have offered him a few bob, but seeing as my friend was able to claim petrol as a tax allowance, he wouldn't. He did a great job of ignoring the fact that while my friend was giving everyone lifts home, he was not available to pick up paying punters and ya know.... actually earn his living !!!

He said that if these were all non drivers/students/elderly relations etc etc he'd just put up with it. Occupational hazard and all that. But he knows for sure that at least six of the nine parties have cars of their own. They just couldn't be arsed making their own transport arrangements, as they wanted to be able to drink at the parties, without having to pay for a taxi home or over night accommodation.

He said from now on, they are going to start to taking his wife's car to family events. It has two baby seats in the back, so it is not set up to give people lifts. His family will be pi$$ed off, but fair play to him sez I. With a free loading family like that, I'd do the same thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Damn straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

FinnLizzy wrote: »

I did something similar in college. The guys who organised the mystery tour had stamps that allowed them to get free booze all night. I got the girls to draw something similar on my hand with their eyeliner and boom! Free drinks all night for my friends and I. It was great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ticket inspector comes into a carriage, "Tickets, please!"

Everyone gets out their ticket, but one passenger looks in his left-hand jacket pocket, takes the ticket out and puts it between his teeth, then searches in his right-hand jacket pocket and both his trouser pockets. The ticket inspector sees this carry on, grabs the ticket, punches it and gives it back to the passenger with a patient smile. When the ticket inspector is gone, another passenger says:

"I watched what you were doing. Are you really so absent-minded that you forgot you had the ticket between your teeth?"

"Not really," says the passenger. "The ticket was from last week and I had to bite off the date first."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Deki wrote: »
    That, to my way of thinking is frugal. Stingy has the air of meaness to it. Like when people give their children who are old enough to have their own plate, "a bite" from theirs. I knew a girl once who had always had beans to eat. Her father ate steak and you would see him out eating ice creams. At home his 14 children and his wife ate beans every day, probably never had ice cream at all till they were grown. That's stingy.
    Genie mac! 14 children eating nothing but beans:eek:
    You would want to think twice before you lit a fag in that house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My friend's parents charge him £500 a month rent to live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Blisterman wrote: »

Um... Why the f*ck is he living with them so?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Who would pay that much to have to put up with their parents! Move out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

No idea. It's not even convenient. An hour's commute into London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

maybe they want him to grow the hell up and start living his own life..

I lived with my mother and had a job I'd defo be pay her rent, regardless of if she asked me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

No idea. It's not even convenient. An hour's commute into London.

How old is this chap? does he have a job? should he not really have his own place or is he just lazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

when i was in college i was working part time making about 250 a week and living at home, at the time i was 18 my mother turns around to me and demands i give her 200 out of my wages a week,

this left me with €50 for the week for food and transport, didn't get dinner off my mum as she doesn't cook, she goes to my nans every day for her dinner,

if i wanted food i'd be making it myself

most days i'd be gone from 7am till half 11 at night with college and work,

she then gave out that when i decided to move out of the home it would be dead money

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

allanb49 wrote: »
    when i was in college i was working part time making about 250 a week and living at home, at the time i was 18 my mother turns around to me and demands i give her 200 out of my wages a week,

this left me with €50 for the week for food and transport, didn't get dinner off my mum as she doesn't cook, she goes to my nans every day for her dinner,

if i wanted food i'd be making it myself

most days i'd be gone from 7am till half 11 at night with college and work,

she then gave out that when i decided to move out of the home it would be dead money

Bed, Board, Food and bills for 200 quid a week....

I'd take that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

MugMugs wrote: »

Food not included, and 200 a week is pricey even if it were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

MugMugs wrote: »

just bed, i'd be out all day, get breakfast in college, then something for dinner on the way to work, then home to bed,

think she also wanted me to chip in for the ntl at the time, but i was never there to watch any tv and got all my dvds from work (worked in xtra vision)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement