Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gizmorox

MugMugs wrote: »
    Bed, Board, Food and bills for 200 quid a week....

I'd take that :)

€200 a week? seems excessive to me,I'd say on average what you'd use with regards to utilities would be less than €20 per week,although if tv,phone,internet bills were included then that may make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

200 a week? 800 a month?

You could rent a whole house for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sound like some mums think that by charging these rents they can push adults out of their houses without having to ask! Love the passive-aggressive Irish mammies! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

My friend's parents charge him £500 a month rent to live with them.

might be he doesn't save so they take this off him and when it comes to getting a place of his own the can presnt him back this money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

MugMugs wrote: »
    Bed, Board, Food and bills for 200 quid a week....

I'd take that :)

Is 'Board' not the food? I never really understood what exactly that meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Is 'Board' not the food? I never really understood what exactly that meant.

It is but it made the list look longer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Using a standard Guinnes pint glass, a 4cm high head would be roughly 113ml. Considering the pint is 568ml, thats roughly 20% of the pint as head.

In other words he's dead right to send it back, and you must possess **** bartending skills.

And no way is 4cm head the standard...:rolleyes:

12-18mm is accepted as within standard

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

A guy I worked with was your typical miserly scot who always struggled to hide his greed. the Christmas party was always an occasion to try and manipulate the vote by canvassing for a top restaurant with weaker staff memmbers. This year he lost out and we ended up going to Shelbourne Park , dinner included. The boss was late, so Mr Stingy decided to open a tab and go around taking everyones order for drinks ..... being the big fellow and encouraging people a la Mrs Doyle.

The drinks were served and in walks the Boss, up jumps stingy all over him smiling and asking him what he would like? Bossman obviously kopped on and declined saying there was wine with dinner.

The evening wore on and at the big race of the night, the Boss gave everyone a free €10 bet ..... announcing that he decided it was better than buying a round !!!!!! Now Mr Stingy is in a sweat and suddenly partyman goes quiet. He regains composure and again attempts to offer a drink to the Boss, again no thanks!!

End of the night and Boss calls for the bill only to see a large round of drinks. He has a word with his secretary and next thing the bills is sent back. Sure enough, the waiter returned with a new bill for the boss and went straight over to Mr Stingy and presented him with the drinks bills ........... his face was not that of a happy camper to say the least BUT the shameless miserable git went around and asked people to pay for their own drinks, pointing at the bill and gesturing at the boss as if it was his fault.

Everyone knew this guy was mean, but we didn't think he had the brass neck to push a drink on people and then come around begging (and I mean begging) for the money three hours later ....... needless to say, he went home and our real party started.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

12-14 would be about right, anything above that is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Using a standard Guinnes pint glass, a 4cm high head would be roughly 113ml. Considering the pint is 568ml, thats roughly 20% of the pint as head.
    I just did a measurement using a proper marked pint glass, weighing scales and a jug of water and I conclude that the top 4cm of the glass holds 216mg/ml of water equating to 38% of the pint.
    I suspect it was the pub owner who taught this barman who was the miser not the customer.
    When I worked in a bar, a drinker once declined a pint I had pulled saying "I'm not holy enough for the parish priest just let me see the curate".
    12mm would be a Curates collar, 18mm for the PP and I'd say 40mm would be at least pope or maybe a conclave of bishops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    12-14 would be about right, anything above that is excessive.

Just telling ya what the official spec is

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I was walking along the quays on my way into college; headphones in, fast walk mode activated. I see this middle-aged bag looking into a planter box on the Boardwalk. Then your one puts on a plastic glove, and I'm there thinking, "the fuck?"

The scabby such-and-such was stealing the daffodil bulbs; literally pulling them out of the mulch and shoving them into her handbag.

I was so bewildered that I kept walking, and two minutes later I was saying to myself, "why the hell didn't I stop her? Those are ratepayers' flowers! She's not supposed to take them!"

The fact that this one brought gloves means she planned this in advance, and the premeditation is what outrages me. Something tells me she's not the first person to rob public flowers either. Be vigilant for daffodil scabs this spring; they deserve the shame of being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Bucklesman wrote: »
    The fact that this one brought gloves means she planned this in advance, and the premeditation is what outrages me. Something tells me she's not the first person to rob public flowers either. Be vigilant for daffodil scabs this spring; they deserve the shame of being caught.
    Being planned in advance doesn't make it any less wrong, although I'm sure you wouldn't really disagree with that.

My own stinginess anecdote is TWICE catching my neighbours putting their rubbish in my bins.

"Oh sorry, I thought they were mine"

They keep theirs behind the house, nowhere near mine, as they are afraid someone will give them a taste of the their own medicine no doubt.

Next time it rains heavily I'll make sure to sneak around and open their bins. Add a few euro to the weight charges hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

A self confession;
    If I ordered a turkey dinner out and ham came with it, I used to wrap it up (without anyone seeing of course) and take it home to give to my OH with his dinner. I don't eat much turkey anyway so there was no point asking for extra of that instead.

I paid for that ham God damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

bambera wrote: »
    A self confession;
    If I ordered a turkey dinner out and ham came with it, I used to wrap it up (without anyone seeing of course) and take it home to give to my OH with his dinner. I don't eat much turkey anyway so there was no point asking for extra of that instead.

I paid for that ham God damn it.

Thats not stingy, you are right!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

phill106 wrote: »
    Thats not stingy, you are right!

I think I may have gone overboard when I started stinking of fish on the bus (I thought I was being brave ordering cod that day :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dtoffee wrote: »
    A guy I worked with was your typical miserly scot who always struggled to hide his greed. the Christmas party was always an occasion to try and manipulate the vote by canvassing for a top restaurant with weaker staff memmbers. This year he lost out and we ended up going to Shelbourne Park , dinner included. The boss was late, so Mr Stingy decided to open a tab and go around taking everyones order for drinks ..... being the big fellow and encouraging people a la Mrs Doyle.

The drinks were served and in walks the Boss, up jumps stingy all over him smiling and asking him what he would like? Bossman obviously kopped on and declined saying there was wine with dinner.

The evening wore on and at the big race of the night, the Boss gave everyone a free €10 bet ..... announcing that he decided it was better than buying a round !!!!!! Now Mr Stingy is in a sweat and suddenly partyman goes quiet. He regains composure and again attempts to offer a drink to the Boss, again no thanks!!

End of the night and Boss calls for the bill only to see a large round of drinks. He has a word with his secretary and next thing the bills is sent back. Sure enough, the waiter returned with a new bill for the boss and went straight over to Mr Stingy and presented him with the drinks bills ........... his face was not that of a happy camper to say the least BUT the shameless miserable git went around and asked people to pay for their own drinks, pointing at the bill and gesturing at the boss as if it was his fault.

Everyone knew this guy was mean, but we didn't think he had the brass neck to push a drink on people and then come around begging (and I mean begging) for the money three hours later ....... needless to say, he went home and our real party started.
    So who ended up paying the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

House mate was going on Hols and told me to work away at his "food" the night before he left as there was no point in it going off.

His Food "HAUL" consisted of

half a pint of milk that had been sitting there a week
    Some hard bread...
    Some manky black bananas...
    a few crappy spuds that had 5 inch roots on them again sitting there ages.
    A chicken tikka masala take away in the fridge with the lid missing with half a nan bread wedged into the hardened gloopy red sauce, Looked like all the chicken had been skillfully fished out:rolleyes:
    Lidl beans 1/4 full in fridge with the serated metal edge half pulled up.:confused:
    1 x Cuppa soup

Now im a bit finicky with food so i wouldnt really of touched it to be honest.
    That evening the door bell rings... Who is it? The house mates brother

"____ asked me to collect his food as theres no point it going to waste"
    With that i directed him to the fridge with his back pack and handed him some celophane. I pointed out which top quality merchandise was his big bros. But the best was his comment "Oh nice wan.. chicken tikka this will gone down a treat after a few bevvies" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Dtoffee wrote: »
    A guy I worked with was your typical miserly scot who always struggled to hide his greed..

Good story, but slightly spoiled by your lazy caricature of Scottish people - I've a few Scottish friends and if anything they are the opposite as they feel they have to battle against this unfair and inaccurate portrayal of them as being somehow miserly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

A family near me were, and are, famous for their meanness.
    There are legendary stories of their tightness over three generations.
    They are farmers and if you were unfortunate enough to have to work for them you got half a boiled egg with potatoes for your lunch.
    On one memorable occasion the father and son bought cattle from another farmer in a small midland fair. The seller brought the two of them into Ryan's shop to treat them to a drink. Ryan's was one of those marvelous Irish institutions with a grocery at one end, a hardware at the other, and a bar between the two.
    The seller of the cattle got a drink for himself and the buyer and asked the buyers son what he was having.
    The son replied that he didn't drink but that, " If you like", he would have a half pound of turnip seed instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Good story, but slightly spoiled by your lazy caricature of Scottish people - I've a few Scottish friends and if anything they are the opposite as they feel they have to battle against this unfair and inaccurate portrayal of them as being somehow miserly.

Do you have any friends from Cavan? If not we can substitute Scot for Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I agree!
    Now, the Welsh, they are a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I agree!
    Now, the Welsh, they are a different story.

I've no love for that bunch of sheep-shagging choirboys!

Redditor wrote: »
    Being planned in advance doesn't make it any less wrong, although I'm sure you wouldn't really disagree with that.

My own stinginess anecdote is TWICE catching my neighbours putting their rubbish in my bins.

"Oh sorry, I thought they were mine"

They keep theirs behind the house, nowhere near mine, as they are afraid someone will give them a taste of the their own medicine no doubt.

Next time it rains heavily I'll make sure to sneak around and open their bins. Add a few euro to the weight charges hopefully.
    Drop a few bricks into it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Good story, but slightly spoiled by your lazy caricature of Scottish people

Yeah he could have been a bit less lazy and used a few more adjectives to describe the ginger haired haggis eater :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redditor

Has anyone stolen this thread and gone to a publisher yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Bucklesman wrote: »
    Something tells me she's not the first person to rob public flowers either. Be vigilant for daffodil scabs this spring; they deserve the shame of being caught.

Brother of a mate got a contract with the council to plant-up, if you will, a sizeable enough roundabout. They spent the whole day digging up the roundabout and managed to get a start on planting a couple of grands worth of shrubs before dark. But the majority of stuff was left in position to be dropped into place the next morning.

Next day, the whole lot was gone. Not a handful of stuff, a couple of trailers worth of plants and shrubs. Some cheeky bastards out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Next day, the whole lot was gone. Not a handful of stuff, a couple of trailers worth of plants and shrubs. Some cheeky bastards out there.

Sound more like a shower of thieving scum than cheeky bastards. Taxpayer got the bill for new stuff no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Geez, thats really tight.
    Yeah I get the concept, like a brick would take up mass therefore less water in and used. But seriously? putting a brick in it? to save what, a pint of water?

Sounds like the mentality of a person who wouldnt wash himself.

Post on this subject again after you get a water meter!

The flush only probably uses 20% less water so is still hygenic!

Most modern toilets have a long and short flush - same thing so.

Where is the stinginess??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

my wedding date had to be changed today due to a mess up by the registar,

So instead of it being on a Thursday, It's now on a Wednesday,

Rang my mum to let her know, got told

I'm going on holidays in june and only had time booked off for the thursday and friday and i don't want to go into work on the friday,

Can you not have it on the saturday as it would be more convienient for me,

Me - Our honeymoon starts on the saturday....

Her - Could you not just have the whole thing in the Registars office in Dublin you're putting extra stress and money i don't have on me,

*wedding is in kilkenny and she gets her room free*

After saying all that she says well just letting you know now i probably won't be able to make it, i can't afford to miss work.

This coming 2 weeks after she said how dissapointed and let down she would be if i didn't keep my surname.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement