Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

allanb49 wrote: »

Today i asked how much would you like?

Without batting an eyelid she said €70 for the last few weeks.

I was gobsmacked and insulted, she offered me a lift, then backdates the lifts i've been getting, we work in the same building at the same times.

it's not shes going out of the way,

Am i in the wrong here for thinking €70 is too much to pay for a 20 minute lift to work daily.

Is that €70 for the 'few weeks' or €70 every week? How much does the LUAS cost?

Petrol is crazy these days, I've put €108 worth of petrol in my car since monday evening. She's entitled to cover her costs and she is saving you a lot of hassle. However, If she's making a profit then the taxman will be interested in her, and the taxi regulator will want to know why she's operating without a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Luas, walk to bus stop, wait for bus, travel on bus arrive at stop and walk to work,

Car - M50 - in work
    So by giving you a lift and charging you a reasonable fare per week, she saves you all that swapping and hanging around thus creating many hours of free time for you??
    That is both moaney and stinge infested!!

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

holy smoke.... this threadnaught has over 285 pages :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I get a lift to work with one of the dutch girls i work with,

Now prior to this i helped her get an apartment as she was left homeless after a falling out with a friend about money
    I think I may know who was in the wrong on that occasion too...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ballinteerguy

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere but it seems to fit right in here ;-)

Woman brings Social welfare to court about not getting single mothers allowance while she has hundreds of thousands in the bank and luxury cars!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/mum-who-bought-luxury-cars-loses-welfare-3041590.html

Here it is in detail:

"A WOMAN who had more than €200,000 pass through her credit-union account and who bought and sold a number of luxury cars has failed in her appeal to be allowed social welfare benefits.The credit-union account of Martina Dardis (30) handled income of €211,000 and outgoings of €197,000 over the last 13 years.
    Yesterday, the Circuit Court threw out her appeal against a decision by the social-welfare deciding officer attached to the Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB), who had ruled that she could not claim either single parent's allowance or a carer's allowance.
    Circuit Court President Mr Justice Matthew Deery said the court had to accept that Ms Dardis had not made a full and frank disclosure of her means.
    He dismissed the mother of three's appeal.
    The judge also refused her application for a legal aid recommendation. He made no order against her for costs.
    Drugs
    In a reserved judgment, he said the deciding officer of CAB and a forensic accountant to the bureau -- neither of whom can be named -- had set out in some length and detail the money from unknown sources that had passed through Ms Dardis's bank accounts.
    He accepted that officials had been correct in their assessment of the financial dealings of Ms Dardis, of Patrick Heeney House, Summerhill, Dublin and previously of Aldborough Court, North Strand, Dublin.
    Judge Deery had heard that Dardis had banked more than €210,000 in a credit-union account over the last 13 years.
    She failed to disclose credits and debits worth tens of thousands in her North William Street Parish credit union account and in two other bank accounts.
    The judge also heard that she had bought and traded in five cars, including two top-of-the-range Lexus cars and a BMW which, overall, would have cost her about €50,000.
    Ms Dardis said she had them on loan from relatives and friends. She told the court a lot of the money she had lodged and withdrawn from accounts had included a compensation award of €36,000 to her partner, James McAuley, by the Residential Institution Redress Board. She also said there were gifts from McAuley's late grandmother and her own late father.
    She added that a lot of money had gone to buying drugs for her partner, who had a drug problem."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

I get a lift to work with one of the dutch girls i work with,

Pics or.............ah never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

She added that a lot of money had gone to buying drugs for her partner, who had a drug problem.

She actually used this as an argument in her favour to claim the money???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

yup €70 a week for transport, to the same location we both go to from the same destination,

she has a 1L Seat, so it doesn't cost €70 a week to run it,

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lainey_ie

one of mates is one of the stingiest people going...if we were all in a round and then it was her turn shed drink her drink really slow so the rest of us would get fed up waiting and go and buy one....have learnt our lessons tho never go boozing with her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

One of my neighbours stores apples, onions, pears etc. hanging up in her old tights. I've declined an apple in her house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

noddyone2 wrote: »
    One of my neighbours stores apples, onions, pears etc. hanging up in her old tights. I've declined an apple in her house.

That's a great way to store them. I take it you don't eat any veg that's been grown in dirty old earth and fertilised with animal sh!+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Wow, Over 1million views:eek:

As stingy people go I'd say my brother is one of the stingiest going.
    He will use the same tea bag for two cuppa's and would probably squeeze 3 if no one was looking.
    That's just one of many many things he regulary takes a good slagging for.
    Peel an orange in his pocket so he would.

yup €70 a week for transport, to the same location we both go to from the same destination,

If they are so cheap to run, why don't you buy one for yourself?
    Think of the freedom having your own car would bring and all for leas than 70 euro per week.

Think of the freedom having your own car would bring and all for less than 70 euro per week by your own "calculations".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Think of the freedom having your own car would bring and all for less than 70 euro per week by your own "calculations".

Running a car and buying a car are two different costs
    My Passat costs €50 a week for ALL my driving and not just for the work commute.
    A lift should share the fuel costs and a nominal extra for wear and tear, not make a profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

If my friend has a packet of sweets or mints. He opens them in his pocket and when he want one he takes out one and pretends to cough and puts it in his mouth. Hes afraid anyone might ask him for a single sweet. If thats not stingie I dont know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If my friend has a packet of sweets or mints. He opens them in his pocket and when he want one he takes out one a pretends to cough and puts it in his mouth. Hes afraid anyone might ask him for a single sweet. If thats not stingie I dont know what is.

Can he peel an orange in his pocket though?:D

Running a car and buying a car are two different costs
    My Passat costs €50 a week for ALL my driving and not just for the work commute.
    A lift should share the fuel costs and a nominal extra for wear and tear, not make a profit

50 euro per week?
    Does that figure include insurance, tax, NCT (time off work to get this done) maintenance and depreciation.
    You think all that comes to a cost of 50 euro per week??

God alive.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    50 euro per week?
    Does that figure include insurance, tax, NCT (time off work to get this done) maintenance and depreciation.
    You think all that comes to a cost of 50 euro per week??

God alive.

Don't be ridiculous, she is meant to be offering him a lift not trying to use him to maintain her car. She is going that way already so her NCT, repair, insurance and depreciation are going to happen anyway.

Offering someone a lift means that you split the fuel costs plus a few euro more to cover ALL that you mention above, for the time that he is in the car. €70 per week means that she is covering fuel, for her entire week's driving, PLUS a huge contribution to all other costs.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Can he peel an orange in his pocket though?:D

Not a big orange anyway. :D

He does it with them small oranges. Mandrins is that them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Don't be ridiculous, she is meant to be offering him a lift not trying to use him to maintain her car. She is going that way already so her NCT, repair, insurance and depreciation are going to happen anyway.

Offering someone a lift means that you split the fuel costs plus a few euro more to cover ALL that you mention above, for the time that he is in the car. €70 per week means that she is covering fuel, for her entire week's driving, PLUS a huge contribution to all other costs.

I do a 20 min journey to work twice a day and it costs me between 20 - 30 quid in fuel a week at an estimate.
    70 quid a week is crazy money to be charging for that, 20 quid is more than enought.

omega666 wrote: »
    I do a 20 min journey to work twice a day and it costs me between 20 - 30 quid in fuel a week at an estimate.
    70 quid a week is crazy money to be charging for that, 20 quid is more than enought.

Exactly, it is not as if she is not going that way anyway. The extra wear and tear, on her car, is negligible.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

If my friend has a packet of sweets or mints. He opens them in his pocket and when he want one he takes out one and pretends to cough and puts it in his mouth. Hes afraid anyone might ask him for a single sweet. If thats not stingie I dont know what is.

Guy in school used buy twenty fags, then get an old ten pack and put one or two in in case anyone tried to bum one off him. God idea actually, I'd say he wasn't the only one at it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

lainey_ie wrote: »
    one of mates is one of the stingiest people going...if we were all in a round and then it was her turn shed drink her drink really slow so the rest of us would get fed up waiting and go and buy one....have learnt our lessons tho never go boozing with her:)

Call me tight but I drink beamish and I refuse to enter rounds with people.

Why on earth would I want to subsidize peoples expensive urine like bottles of corona. **** that. No way Jose.
    I say straight out I'm not entering rounds. It's better that way as you don't have drinks pilling up or worse still you're waiting on some clown to buy you a drink

jayteecork wrote: »
    Guy in school used buy twenty fags, then get an old ten pack and put one or two in in case anyone tried to bum one off him. God idea actually, I'd say he wasn't the only one at it

I do that. I have a old emply box and put about 5 in in the morning and once thats gone I go to the car for a "pen" and put in 2 or 3 more depending on how stressed I am.

But its alright to do it with fags. But a roll of sweets or mints are only 1 euro ffs.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

jayteecork wrote: »
    Call me tight but I drink beamish and I refuse to enter rounds with people.

Why on earth would I want to subsidize peoples expensive urine like bottles of corona. **** that. No way Jose.
    I say straight out I'm not entering rounds. It's better that way as you don't have drinks pilling up or worse still you're waiting on some clown to buy you a drink

I'd have to agree, I buy my own drink and me and my friends do not do rounds, no point as we all drink different stuff and we all don't take the same amount of time to drink out drinks - I'm a very slow drinker, a glass can last me 20 mins or so, whereas one of my friends will have her drink gone in 5 mins. So we never saw the point in 'rounds'. but your own and be happy!

I also don't drink nearly enough as my other friends, so does the round system expect me to still buy my friends their drinks even if they're not buying me one or I'm no longer drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I used to work in Talk Talk and there used to be this old fella on our team and when he walked around he would scan the floor - literally scan it for coins people had dropped and pick them up, coppers and all.

I have seen him stop and get off his bike and walk around a maxol garage scanning the ground too seen him around waterford city late one Saturday night when we the nightclubs were closing doing same.

He actually just walked around Waterford looking for money. Whilst in a full time job. Haven't seen him in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Best AH thread ever !!!!

Was in Easons earlier today. Saw a guy buy a sealed packet of 12 St Patricks Day cards. He then went to the posh art pens section where you can test the pens out before you buy them. He then proceeds to write & address all 12 cards using the pens that other people are going to come along and shell out serious money for presuming that they have never been used. He must have been writing fairly long letter type greetings in them too. When I passed him by about 10 minutes later, he was still there scribbling away like a Grade A swot doing his Leaving Cert. BUY A BLOODY PEN & STOP STEALING OTHER PEOPLES INK YOU CHEAP BA$TARD !!!

Am very anti rounds myself. Don't think it is cheap at all if people abstain from them. 'Tis grand for a bunch of lads all drinking pints at the same pace. But I am not much of a drinker. I usually make a glass of wine last 30-40 mins. Have no problem buying a round for a special occasion, or as a once off prior to us all heading out for dinner. But I have no intention of spending a night in a pub and subsidizing beer guzzlers and gin and tonic drinkers who expect their drinks to be replaced every 15 mins. But yeah, it is cheap as fcuk if I expect to be bought a drink in a round and then disappear to the jacks when it is my turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

My friend used to hide the toilet roll in her house when a few people were over. She'd then offer us tea and make two or three cups from the same bag :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Best AH thread ever !!!!

Was in Easons earlier today. Saw a guy buy a sealed packet of 12 St Patricks Day cards. He then went to the posh art pens section where you can test the pens out before you by them. He then proceeds to write & address all 12 cards using the pens that other people are going to come along and shell out serious money for presuming that they have never been used. He must have been writing fairly long letter type greetings in them too, as when I passed him by about 10 minutes later he was still there scribbling away like a Grade A swot doing his Leaving Cert. BUY A BLOODY PEN & STOP STEALING OTHER PEOPLES INK YOU CHEAP BA$TARD !!!

Who the hell gives someone a card for St. Patrick's Day?? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement