Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Who the hell gives someone a card for St. Patrick's Day?? :confused:

It's common enough in the US. When I lived there, my American cousins always sent me one. I dunno, perhaps the dude was American or has lots of Irish/American friends. They make a much bigger deal about Paddys Day over there than we do here. Anyway, go into any 2 Euro store or shops likes Eason and you'll see loads of Paddys Day cards in the racks. They wouldn't be stocking them if people here were not into buying and sending them too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Plastic Paddies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm sending one to my cousin in Oz at she's away for a year and Paddys Day is a big deal in our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 frosty66

my mate uses free vodafone webtexts never tops up his fone maybe once every 2 months
    eats at home before he meets us for lunch cause its too much to buy sambo
    he has heaps of money great job etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

frosty66 wrote: »
    my mate uses free vodafone webtexts never tops up his fone maybe once every 2 months
    eats at home before he meets us for lunch cause its too much to buy sambo
    he has heaps of money great job etc

How is this stingy? he sounds like a clever fella who doesn't squander his money...

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

frosty66 wrote: »

ha i do this all the time, and i ring and hang up hoping for the person to ring me back! Always on Viber too... fcuk credit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

ha i do this all the time, and i ring and hang up hoping for the person to ring me back! Always on Viber too... fcuk credit :p

Bit in bold, now that is stingy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

tok9 wrote: »
    Bit in bold, now that is stingy!

I f**king hate that. I have pulled people up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

I know some people who do that.
    I don't ring back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I f**king hate that. I have pulled people up on it
    Lanaier wrote: »
    I know some people who do that.
    I don't ring back.

I know a lot of people who do that... including the brother. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I call them to get their hopes up, then end the call before they can answer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I call them to get their hopes up, then end the call before they can answer. :D

Anyone that does that to me never gets a call back,my pet hate is getting the text "The person on 08******** has no credit and would like you to call them", they are never getting a call back from me.

I had a neighbour who never had credit and would send the young lad over to ask me to ring for taxis,they couldn't afford credit but could pay for up to 4 taxis a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

zerks wrote: »
    Anyone that does that to me never gets a call back,my pet hate is getting the text "The person on 08******** has no credit and would like you to call them", they are never getting a call back from me.

I had a neighbour who never had credit and would send the young lad over to ask me to ring for taxis,they couldn't afford credit but could pay for up to 4 taxis a day.
    Oh same, what I meant was if someone does it to me I do it back, I dont do it to people haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Someone I know wants to buy a dairy cow so he does have to pay the milkman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I put a fork in the sugar bowl when I have guests for coffee ... Sugar is mighty expensive with the current recession thing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Steven81

My father had all his mothers brothers and sisters over to sort out a will, he got sick of making sandwiches for them all that the next time he cut them into 4. He said he didnt have to buy as much ham and people would be embarassed going in the whole time for more. It worked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do?

Some ****@r taking special needs assistants and resource teachers away from from kids who really need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Spend 14 euro on a garden rake, not my dad. Take one brush handle from old brush a piece of 4*2 a few 6" nails and some thick fence wire and presto a (useless) garden rake that has frustrated the feck out of him every time he uses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

toexpress wrote: »
    I put a fork in the sugar bowl when I have guests for coffee ... Sugar is mighty expensive with the current recession thing ...
    :confused:

Really?

€1.15 for a kilo.

You no stingy, you miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Steven81 wrote: »
    My father had all his mothers brothers and sisters over to sort out a will, he got sick of making sandwiches for them all that the next time he cut them into 4. He said he didnt have to buy as much ham and people would be embarassed going in the whole time for more. It worked!!
    and as a bonus triangular sandwiches taste better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

My sisters car gave up on her 2 weeks ago, being the good Samaritan, I offered her my car until she gets on her feet and can find a new car. I have been using my girlfriends car for the last 2 weeks. Anyway, my gf needs her car tomorrow, So I ring my sister and tell her that I need my car for work tomorrow, her response is, "I only put 10 euro petrol into the car earlier so you can give me that when you collect the car" How miserable is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Spend 14 euro on a garden rake, not my dad. Take one brush handle from old brush a piece of 4*2 a few 6" nails and some thick fence wire and presto a (useless) garden rake that has frustrated the feck out of him every time he uses it.

that aint stingy mate.. that's just plain resourceful and genius if he can perfect it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Not stingey but genius, in a project I used to be involved with in Berlin, this young lad who was broke used to come in with his little dog. He trained the dog to smell out money, so when he was walking around Berlin the dog would keep finding him coins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

My sisters car gave up on her 2 weeks ago, being the good Samaritan, I offered her my car until she gets on her feet and can find a new car. I have been using my girlfriends car for the last 2 weeks. Anyway, my gf needs her car tomorrow, So I ring my sister and tell her that I need my car for work tomorrow, her response is, "I only put 10 euro petrol into the car earlier so you can give me that when you collect the car" How miserable is that.

Get a quote on how much it would be to rent a car for two weeks. Ask her for that and see if she still wants the tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Met my nephew for a drink after work last night. One of his co workers invited himself along. He is complete and utter tool with the social skills of a fruit fly, but there was no way to politely exclude him, so we just gritted our teeth and got on with it.

On the way to the pub, we stopped at a Spar as my nephew wanted to pick up a loaf of bread and some other stuff. He was asked by the cashier if he needed a plastic bag. Before he could answer, the coworker offered up the plastic bag out of his pocket that he brings his lunch to work in every day. T'was rather manky and food stained, but not wanting to appear rude, the nephew said thanks and took it.

Got to the pub. Nephew goes to bar to order a round. Comes back to the table with the drinks and throws his change on the table. Co worker then proceeds to root around in it for the 22 cents he then claimed he was owed for his plastic bag. Stingy fcuker. No wonder he has no friends !
    Wow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

If you give her the car back after that, you'd want your head checked. What a stingy weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

When collecting the car bring along a hose and tell her she can syphon off her petrol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Then kick her in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I hate to say it but..........

Today I broke up with my Girl friend because valentine's day is next week! Saved myself ALOT of money though. :)
    Oh well we did have a good connection. But I havent got a cent to my name. I told her that I dont have money and she said get a job! That was last week, so then I thought the best thing is to just break up with her.
    ... im doing a fas course.
    Ya 31.70 a week leaving that in the bank and putting it towards my first motor! :)

That'll be the only way you'll get a ride. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement