Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Birneybau wrote: »
    That'll be the only way you'll get a ride. :)

I got the ride of her, now it was nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I got the ride of her, now it was nothing special.

I'd say the feelings mutual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

My housemate is a film student, and someone in his class suggested they have a crew-meeting for a project here. Since the housemate used to be a chef, they asked if he'd cook for the group since they're all here, and they'd all chip in whatever was needed for the ingredients.

When he was saying how much it would cost each of them, he was saying "well if I do a lasagne, I'll need the meat, sauce, veg, pasta and about £5 for myself for doing it."

He was factoring in labour costs for making his friends some food, and when one of them brought this up, he said "well it's fair because if a catering company did it, it would cost a good bit more"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I <3this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sofaspud wrote: »
    My housemate is a film student, and someone in his class suggested they have a crew-meeting for a project here. Since the housemate used to be a chef, they asked if he'd cook for the group since they're all here, and they'd all chip in whatever was needed for the ingredients.

When he was saying how much it would cost each of them, he was saying "well if I do a lasagne, I'll need the meat, sauce, veg, pasta and about £5 for myself for doing it."

He was factoring in labour costs for making his friends some food, and when one of them brought this up, he said "well it's fair because if a catering company did it, it would cost a good bit more"

He's charging €5 to cook for how many?

I'd tell them to get a catering company to do it if that was the attitude he got in return.

• Advertisement

booboo88 wrote: »
    I'd say the feelings mutual ;)

:eek: x 10000000000000000000000000000000000000. :pac:

Birneybau wrote: »
    He's charging €5 to cook for how many?

I'd tell them to get a catering company to do it if that was the attitude he got in return.

I'm not too sure how many, maybe 4 or 5 but it was basically a few of his friends that he was having over for lunch. They were already paying up 3 or 4 quid a head for the food itself and he wanted labour costs for putting it together and sticking it in the oven.

I'm not too sure how many, maybe 4 or 5 but it was basically a few of his friends that he was having over for lunch. They were already paying up 3 or 4 quid a head for the food itself and he wanted labour costs for putting it together and sticking it in the oven.

Are you friends of Gordan Rhamsey by any chance? :D:rolleyes:

Are you friends of Gordan Rhamsey by any chance? :D:rolleyes:

I wish, Gordon Ramsay would be 100 times quieter at his loudest!

Edit: Also, irritating housemate, not friend!

I wish, Gordon Ramsay would be 100 times quieter at his loudest!

Edit: Also, irritating housemate, not friend!

Ah I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Labour costs for a lasagne for 5 with shop bought sauces? That'd be about 50c then, I'd genuinely give him what I'd consider his labour to be worth, nice f you for his cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chipperf

Know a guy who got his cutlery for his home from a skip! - I kid you not, his father is too mean to buy a bin tag - waits till night time, loads the rubbish into the boot of his massive Jaguar, and drives to the skips at the back of a local resteraunt. Maybe best of all, the whole family will not spend any money whatosever at Christmas....they make things for one another - 'much more meaningful' apparently. Seems the key thing is that no money must be spent! The living embodiment of the phrase 'too mean to spend Christmas....' Hilarious really, what a way to live...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Chipperf wrote: »
    Maybe best of all, the whole family will not spend any money whatosever at Christmas....they make things for one another - 'much more meaningful' apparently. Seems the key thing is that no money must be spent!

That sounds kinda cool tbh, better than the materialistic rush the rest of us go on at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Chipperf wrote: »
    Know a guy who got his cutlery for his home from a skip! - I kid you not, his father is too mean to buy a bin tag - waits till night time, loads the rubbish into the boot of his massive Jaguar, and drives to the skips at the back of a local resteraunt. Maybe best of all, the whole family will not spend any money whatosever at Christmas....they make things for one another - 'much more meaningful' apparently. Seems the key thing is that no money must be spent! The living embodiment of the phrase 'too mean to spend Christmas....' Hilarious really, what a way to live...
    In my own experience every time I have made stuff for Christmas it's ended up costing more than if I'd bought it.:( I know a lot of people that drive their trash to a relatives house. The lady used to live behind me used to sneak her trash into mine, until I moved it where she couldn't get to it. Luckily she moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

If my mate was cooking for 4-5 of us I would not consider it unreasonable for us to cough up the price of a pint for the effort he/she is putting in. Cooking for 5 people isn't a quick and easy thing even when your doing a big dish like lasagne. Plus hes a film student, students now a days are stingy enough, let alone the artsy ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

Ya 31.70 a week leaving that in the bank and putting it towards my first motor! :)
    the minimum payment for a fas coarse is 188 euro a week ? and 70 rent allouence if u live far enough away :/ how are u geting 31.70 ?

jayteecork wrote: »
    Guy in school used buy twenty fags, then get an old ten pack and put one or two in in case anyone tried to bum one off him. God idea actually, I'd say he wasn't the only one at it
    i do this with old 20 boxs :P but thats only cause there could be 4 "part-time" smokers in my group who will not buy a box but want a fag every time u have one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Incidentally, does anyone know how the 'tags' at the bottom of the page are generated? There are some very revealing ones in there...

are those my feet?, camels arse in sandstorm, cavan people, cheap, cheap egg loving granny, drink piss, foreigners, israel, moochers, offaly people, rat traps, scabby bastards, scabs, scottish, scrooge, stingy, sweaty bacon, the scots, threads that won't die, thriftiness, tight as a ducks arse, tight as a fishes hole, tight pocket bastard, willy derp.
    Just picked a random page and saw this... Made my day!!! Never noticed the tags before but that is hilarious!!! :pac:

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Cooking for 5 people isn't a quick and easy thing even when your doing a big dish like lasagne.

Cooking for 5 people is as easy as cooking for one or two people.

Plus, they likely would have brought things to the dinner anyway, like wine and sweet treats for after, as is customary so it really was unnecessary for him to charge them!

I'm with Sofaspud on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Cooking for 5 people is as easy as cooking for one or two people.

Plus, they likely would have brought things to the dinner anyway, like wine and sweet treats for after, as is customary so it really was unnecessary for him to charge them!

I'm with Sofaspud on this one!

Cooking for 5 is completely different then cooking for 1, prep, cleaning etc is all 5 times more.

Granted the guy was stingey for insisting he got €5 for the effort, but it would have been stingey of the mates not to have bought him a drink after.

Ive had bbqs and mates around for food and the majority arrive with enough beer for themselves and offer no money towards ingredients, alot of early 20s people are like that I find.

• Advertisement

Cooking for 5 is completely different then cooking for 1, prep, cleaning etc is all 5 times more.

It's really, really not. I cook a lot. You'll just maybe have five minutes more veg prep, that's about it. You'll use the same cooking vessels and utensils for five as for one, and spend maybe five minutes extra washing up. So it's not even x2 times more work, tbh. If anything, it's easier and less fiddly to cook in bulk.
    Granted the guy was stingey for insisting he got €5 for the effort, but it would have been stingey of the mates not to have bought him a drink after.

Like I said, people tend not to come to these things with one hand as long as the other, so that should be payment enough, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

A few years ago I bought a new (to me) car, and decided to GIVE my brother my old car for free, even though I could have sold it for around €1000. He didn't have much money at the time so I said I'd be nice and give it to him.

2 weeks later, the new car I had bought was in the garage getting a few bits done to it, so I had no car for the day. I asked my brother for a drive to the next town and back (a 12mile round trip) and he said that he couldn't because he wasn't going in that direction. "Get a taxi" he said "It'll only cost you €12-€15 there and back". It would have taken 30minutes of his time at the most, and he wasn't doing anything else that day, he was just lazy.

So, I gave my brother, for free, a car worth €1000 and 2 weeks later he wouldn't drive me 12 miles in the self-same car, and made me pay for a taxi.. Tight as a fishes arse he is, and that's watertight!! I really hope he gets badly stuck for a drive someday, I'm going to take great pleasure in telling him to "get a taxi".

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

fanadman1 wrote: »
    the minimum payment for a fas coarse is 188 euro a week ? and 70 rent allouence if u live far enough away :/ how are u geting 31.70 ?

Completely wrong on two counts!

If you are on social welfare and are "advised" to do a fas course you have to do it or they will re-assess your weekly claim.

If you are getting €188 a week dole you get to keep this. However if you are getting any less you still only get what you are on, you do not get an increase to €188!

Also you do not get rent allowance for for living far away!!!:confused:
    You get a travel allowance and the when I did a fas course in 2010 the maximum you could get was €30. And for that you had to live 50km away! That wouldn't pay for the petrol so you would end up paying to go on the course!

conor1979 wrote: »
    Completely wrong on two counts!

If you are on social welfare and are "advised" to do a fas course you have to do it or they will re-assess your weekly claim.

If you are getting €188 a week dole you get to keep this. However if you are getting any less you still only get what you are on, you do not get an increase to €188!

Also you do not get rent allowance for for living far away!!!:confused:
    You get a travel allowance and the when I did a fas course in 2010 the maximum you could get was €30. And for that you had to live 50km away! That wouldn't pay for the petrol so you would end up paying to go on the course!
    fanadman1 wrote: »

Well lads, i went in to sign on a week before I started the fas course. The sexy ladie behind the counter in the social welfare office said that I couldent sign on becouse i was only finished school 3 months and becouse im living at home as well.

The 26.70 is for traviling allowence payed by fas. The other 4.00 is for food alloence also payed by fas.

So that the storie now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Well lads, i went in to sign on a week before I started the fas course. The sexy ladie behind the counter in the social welfare office said that I couldent sign on becouse i was only finished school 3 months and becouse im living at home as well.

The 26.70 is for traviling allowence payed by fas. The other 4.00 is for food alloence also payed by fas.

So that the storie now.

Have you ever thought of...i dunno it may sound crazy but...

GETTING A JOB!

Have you ever thought of...i dunno it may sound crazy but...

GETTING A JOB!

Hmmm getting a job?

No because i need the qualification of the course to get into college.

So no I dident think of getting a job. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Ive had bbqs and mates around for food and the majority arrive with enough beer for themselves and offer no money towards ingredients, alot of early 20s people are like that I find.

Since when has it become the norm to give someone hosting a bbq money for food? I understand bring your own beer but not food. Isnt the point of having a bbq/party that you will provide the guests with food? If you cant afford it dont have one imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I'm always seeing people stop in the street and bend over and pick up no more than a 5 cent piece they have spotted. And these wouldn't be beggers or anything, but fairly well dressed people.

So that the storie now.

i was with fas last week :L they paid u 188 a week for doing the coarse and if your social welfare is more than that they will match it ! u can get 30 euros of diesel money or move in and get 69 euro a week of a rent alouence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm always seeing people stop in the street and bend over and pick up no more than a 5 cent piece they have spotted. And these wouldn't be beggers or anything, but fairly well dressed people.
    I do that! It all goes in a jar at home. The last time I emptied it I got about €170 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement