Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Well lads, i went in to sign on a week before I started the fas course. The sexy ladie behind the counter in the social welfare office said that I couldent sign on becouse i was only finished school 3 months and becouse im living at home as well.

The 26.70 is for traviling allowence payed by fas. The other 4.00 is for food alloence also payed by fas.

So that the storie now.
    Dont suppose theyre doing a fas course for english are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Have you ever thought of...i dunno it may sound crazy but...

GETTING A JOB!
    My my, you are a very angry man, what if the poster wants a career they can only gain through FAS?

And by the way have you any experience of looking for a job at the moment? I wouldn't like to be trying to get into work straight out of school, making the assumption the poster isn't trying because they haven't managed to get a job in three months, in a pathetic job market, when they're at the absolute bottom of the pile is pretty ridiculous I have to say, you don't just "get" a job.
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm always seeing people stop in the street and bend over and pick up no more than a 5 cent piece they have spotted. And these wouldn't be beggers or anything, but fairly well dressed people.

Ever hear of the old "lucky penny" superstition?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'll pick up coins if I haven't seen anyone drop them but I was in a shop a while back and dropped a load of coins while I was paying.

Some cow behind me in the queue picked them up and pocketed them.

I assumed she was picking them up to help me as I was busy packing stuff but she just shot off.

As for BBQs, we always do 'bring your own meat' so we get a variety of stuff and everyone swaps. It works out well, nobody wants to look stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

booboo88 wrote: »
    Dont suppose theyre doing a fas course for english are they?

Serious irony going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Have a friend that's so tight that if he found a plaster he'd cut himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I have loads. One that happened yesterday was, one of my really tight friends charged another friend 3 euros for a slice of his pizza when they came.
    He's such an unbelievable snake.

I just realised the 4th post in this thread, wayyy back in January 2009, I was the guy who was charged 3 euro for the pizza slice! And he was giving me loads of **** 'cos he was 'trying' to lose weight and blaming me for him ordering the pizza! ehhh if you didn't buy a slice off me I wouldn't be getting this ehhh

Typical from this guy, he's a little swine! Improved a bit in fairness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ronjo

Since when has it become the norm to give someone hosting a bbq money for food? I understand bring your own beer but not food. Isnt the point of having a bbq/party that you will provide the guests with food? If you cant afford it dont have one imo

I would have thought it was normal when having a bbq that someone will bring some salads, someone else some deserts etc etc..
    We usually have 3 or 4 a summer and thats what usually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Banks are stingy. They always chain their pens down. But Ikea and Argos are cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Serious irony going on here.

Que?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Was out foreign with a group of lads for a weekend in Germany. While walking around and seeing the sites that morning with the sun beating down, we decided a short break so we noticed a small little café in the shade. I told the lads to have a seat and went inside to get 4 beers. I got 4 meduim steins and the cost came to a tenner. Delighted i strolled out and handed the lads the beer and before i had a sip one of the lads asked "how much were these"
    "€2.50, great value infairness"
    "What! ok, hang on"
    He then opened the change part of his wallet and in 20c and 10c counted out €2.50 and put in on the table infront of me, while the rest of the lads rolled their eyes.
    I said that there was no need, you could get me one later to which he replied.
    "Sure they'll be more expensive later and beside i need to get rid of some of my change"
    Queue awkward silence as we sipped the beers and left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm always seeing people stop in the street and bend over and pick up no more than a 5 cent piece they have spotted. And these wouldn't be beggers or anything, but fairly well dressed people.

Why wouldn't you pick up money in the street?

As someone else said - the lucky penny and all that. Also, as wealthy as some people might be it's probably hard to shake the thrifty personality traits that got them wealthy in the first place.

I usually have a nagging feeling that it's bad luck to pass money in the street - kinda like saying "I don't need that, I'll never be stuck for cash, I can afford to pass that by". Seems like tempting faith - but that's just superstition.

Having said that - where it would just be awkward I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

booboo88 wrote: »
    Que?

No apostrophes, no capitalisation of the word English, Fás spelled incorrectly. You can hardly comment on anyone else's English.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod: Let's avoid the grammar nazi crap please.
    Fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I was down the country at the funeral of a neighbour this weekend, she had married a man and lived all her married life 15 miles from where she grew up. So her brother, an elderly batchelor, (lets call him Joe), arrives at the funeral looking very annoyed and afterwards in the pub he asked me could I drive him the 15 miles home.

No bother to me as Joe is a decent man, so in the car he tells me his son-in-law (whom Joe gave a free site to 10 years ago) and who has a taxi business said he would bring Joe to the funeral as Joe only has a tractor. Drives him there and charges him €20 for the pleasure! On the day of his sisters funeral!

Either way he is going to spread the story around so I presume the son-in-law is going to lose a bit of business long term. Tight cnut!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭D_D

I've one;

Was out a few years ago with some mates in town. We decided to get some grub, but none of your fancy schtuff, so we went to McDonald's. In the queue, I asked one of the lads if he had 20 cent. (it may be viewed that I'm being scabby here asking for 20c, but oh well).

The reply I got back was; "nah, don't want to break a fifty".

Fair enough I says, wouldn't want to break a fifty myself, and got 20 cent off another lad.

But then when he goes up to pay for his food, he pays with all coins. :confused: So I asked him when we sat down why he told me he didn't have 20 cent when he clearly had a boat load of coins.

"I didn't want to break a 50. A 50 cent coin". :(

Well the looks he got were enough to shame anyone. Scabby bast***.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

frosty66 wrote: »
    my mate uses free vodafone webtexts never tops up his fone maybe once every 2 months
    eats at home before he meets us for lunch cause its too much to buy sambo
    he has heaps of money great job etc

thanks not stingy at all , :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Fair warning.
    I had a great grammar nazi pic, went to post it and stupid After Hours no pic rule fecked it up.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

As someone else said - the lucky penny and all that. Also, as wealthy as some people might be it's probably hard to shake the thrifty personality traits that got them wealthy in the first place.

I usually have a nagging feeling that it's bad luck to pass money in the street - kinda like saying "I don't need that, I'll never be stuck for cash, I can afford to pass that by". Seems like tempting faith - but that's just superstition.

Having said that - where it would just be awkward I don't.

Lucky pennies and superstion? I ain't buying that. Just admit it, you just want to pocket the coppers to horde them!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Fair warning.

Says yer man with all lower case letters in his name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

)

The foreign staff in my old work (German, French and Italian mainly) were beyond belief. Charity collections would have them in hiding. Used to collect a euro from everyone to buy a birthday present (there were maybe 30 of us) and some couldnt part with a euro. We had a Kris Kindle once when the foreign mob demanded the present cost not be more than 5 euro :pac: (and then one of them had a moan when the watch I bought her malfunctioned after a week. What does she expect for 5 quid???). If its going to be a 5 euro limit I dont see the point in it at all. The work social nights were also cost orientated, there was always a big swing to do something cheap- ish rather than getting rat arsed drunk like we should have.

For an apparently fashionable bunch of people most of the French and Italian women wore rags Irish girls wouldnt be seen dead in.

Ive met some backpackers in Australia who were determined not to work and instead get by on about 200 euro a week. It might be a good figure in Thailand but I dont really see the point of coming to a modern developed country and drinking sh1te boxed wine and going to the worst bars just to save a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Quazzie wrote: »
    Says yer man with all lower case letters in his name :P
    you are talking about someone who is too stingy to get upgraded to Dr. even when it's free.

http://www.ministers-best-friend.com/FREE-Ordination-and-Honorary-Degrees-Masters-and-Doctorate-by-Newtonstein.html
    A "Doctor of Divinity" can be Yours!
    Legitimately add "Dr." to your Signature for many Bible Ministers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I used to work with this Lithuanian chap, asked him for lend of a pen one day, he lifted up his shirt and had every spot on his belt clipped with pens that he 'borrowed' from other people.

Have a relative that brings black bags to birthday functions and events, takes as much free food as she can, then feeds it to her husband the next day for dinner. This same relative has never used the wheelie bins, and just dumps in public bins everyday, i could go on and on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Since when has it become the norm to give someone hosting a bbq money for food? I understand bring your own beer but not food. Isnt the point of having a bbq/party that you will provide the guests with food? If you cant afford it dont have one imo

This really annoys me. Was invited over to a mates house to watch the Ireland match a few weeks ago. About 7 of us head over. At the end of the night they start asking for money for the food, which I only ate a bit of to be polite! Annoying thing was, I knew they drank vodka, so decided to bring them a litre bottle of smirnoff instead of the usual €8 bottle of wine, and they still wanted a tenner for food.
    I blame women for this, blokes never feel the need to do food when they invite people over

bijapos wrote: »
    I was down the country at the funeral of a neighbour this weekend, she had married a man and lived all her married life 15 miles from where she grew up. So her brother, an elderly batchelor, (lets call him Joe), arrives at the funeral looking very annoyed and afterwards in the pub he asked me could I drive him the 15 miles home.

No bother to me as Joe is a decent man, so in the car he tells me his son-in-law (whom Joe gave a free site to 10 years ago) and who has a taxi business said he would bring Joe to the funeral as Joe only has a tractor. Drives him there and charges him €20 for the pleasure! On the day of his sisters funeral!

Either way he is going to spread the story around so I presume the son-in-law is going to lose a bit of business long term. Tight cnut!

Wait a minute. I thanked this BUT -

Where did elderly bachelor Joe get a son-in-law from? I know Ireland has changed a lot but I doubt "elderly bachelor" Joe was a single father who raised a daughter all by himself.

I smell something fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

bijapos wrote: »

Where did elderly bachelor Joe get a son-in-law from? I know Ireland has changed a lot but I doubt "elderly bachelor" Joe was a single father who raised a daughter all by himself.

I smell something fishy.

I'm guessing his wife is dead or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Paparazzo wrote: »
    This really annoys me. Was invited over to a mates house to watch the Ireland match a few weeks ago. About 7 of us head over. At the end of the night they start asking for money for the food, which I only ate a bit of to be polite! Annoying thing was, I knew they drank vodka, so decided to bring them a litre bottle of smirnoff instead of the usual €8 bottle of wine, and they still wanted a tenner for food.
    I blame women for this, blokes never feel the need to do food when they invite people over

Eh, they tried to say it cost a tenner a head for food? Were they not ashamed to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I smell something fishy.

Hmmm?

There was a programme on TV a few years back about two elderly batchelors living together, working the farm together, even sharing a bed since they were smallies, never thought of marriage. Then a couple of years later one died and all of sudden there was a will and a secret daughter appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Paparazzo wrote: »

Seriously, who invites people over to thier home and then charges them for food? Especially as you'd already brought as bottle with you - as is generally polite in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    This same relative has never used the wheelie bins, and just dumps in public bins everyday, i could go on and on...

Report her:pac: That's classed as illegal dumping by the council.Public bins are not to be used for domestic refuse disposal.

A nice fine would sort her out.

• Advertisement

poisonated wrote: »
    I'm guessing his wife is dead or something.

Thne he wasn't a bachelor!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement