Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I'd be mortified to invite people over to my house and then charge them for food that they ate! My friend likes cooking meals and just says to us bring over drink and something for desert which is fair.

When I was a child I'll never forget my friend had a packet of smarties and offered me one. She poured them into my hand and three came out. She goes 'oops, that's too much', and took one back!! Her parents had good jobs were were right tight arses. I think if someone's parents are mean then the person will either be as tight as them or completely the opposite and extra generous.

I'd be mortified to invite people over to my house and then charge them for food that they ate! My friend likes cooking meals and just says to us bring over drink and something for desert which is fair.

When I was a child I'll never forget my friend had a packet of smarties and offered me one. She poured them into my hand and three came out. She goes 'oops, that's too much', and took one back!! Her parents had good jobs were were right tight arses. I think if someone's parents are mean then the person will either be as tight as them or completely the opposite and extra generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

ICANN wrote: »
    I expect that kind of thing from children though. I also expect adults to have grown out of that kind of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Edgar Allan Poe

An ex housemate invited me to her new apartment one evening not long after she moved into it. Invited me for dinner - the invitation was clear. I wasn’t that keen as one of her staples was pasta with tinned peas and that spongy Dunnes ham waffer ham, but I thought she would pull out the boat a little seeing as I was heading over as an invited guest.

When I got there, the 2nd stingiest person I know was already installed on the couch. No bodha seeing as she was cooking I knew I couldn’t be stiffed. I park my ass on the chair and we were chatting away when she comes over with 2 Chinese take away menus. Fair enough, the gal don’t wanna cook, she’s gonna order take out. I’m good with that.

We order - after we crack the beers that I brought and kick back. The order arrives and she opens the doors to him and wait for it, fcuking wait for it - dances into the kitchen singing "takeaway arrived, takeaway arrived" and left the dude standing there at the door HOLDING THE BAGS OF FOOD!! She starts getting the plates out of the press and the guy is still standing there and her no mention of even taking the food off him.

Im in the twlight zone of stuck between the gal and the tightest guy in Ireland. It took me about 30 seconds of seeing the poor bastad standing at the door kinda shaking the bag every few seconds to give in and go pay him, tip him and fling the bag on the counter. She immediately gives me a big kiss and hug and thankyouthankyouthankyou routine - like I fcuking offered to buy them dinner!

I could not fcuking believe it. Man, I nearly passed out from rage Im tellin' ya.

Never saw her again in a home situation. She had the neck to call a few weeks later and "invite" me again. I told her no thanks but she could come to mine, bring beer, Ill order a huge take out and she can pay for it all.

Man. Still makes me mad. My own fault I know, but I couldn’t see the guy at the door stand there like a dummy. Turns out I was the dummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If someone is charging you for food at there house then surely that's a restaurant. I'd be asking to see their HACCP certs and tax compliance forms.

• Advertisement

I expect that kind of thing from children though. I also expect adults to have grown out of that kind of behaviour.

She was 13 at the time which is a bit old to be acting like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

When I was in college I shared a house with one of the meanest fookers I have ever shared with in my life. Rather than buy the cheapest toilet roll you could buy he would frequently walk into McDonalds or Burgerking with absolutely no shame and help himself to the napkins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

When I was in college I shared a house with one of the meanest fookers I have ever shared with in my life. Rather than buy the cheapest toilet roll you could buy he would frequently walk into McDonalds or Burgerking with absolutely no shame and help himself to the napkins.

And they're worse than ANY cheap tissue paper.:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:
    Booboo and Bonshopvoyeur both banned.
    Ignoring mod warning / generally being a dick. No time for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Like I said, people tend not to come to these things with one hand as long as the other, so that should be payment enough, imo.

Im not in the game of offering food and then asking for money, as a group a bbq was organised and we where having it at my house.

People always show up at these things with nothing. I have bbq'd for a larger number in the past where the agreement was your welcome to eat but pitch in a couple of euro, some deicided not to eat but then dived on the food. That annoyed me. Theres people there who have pitched in for food and there wasnt enough for everyone. The same guys where then rooting through my freezer asking could they cook pizza etc.

Now when I bbq I just have a smaller number of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Them napkins would be like fcukin sandpaper. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Im in the twlight zone of stuck between the gal and the tightest guy in Ireland. It took me about 30 seconds of seeing the poor bastad standing at the door kinda shaking the bag every few seconds to give in and go pay him, tip him and fling the bag on the counter.

I would have paid for the takeaway and ****ed off home with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'd have paid and then said "that'll be 'x amount' please" to the other 2. If either of them said they though it was my treat then I'd have said "yeah alright then, I'll treat my own family" and head on... That way they'd been given the opportunity to see the situation right and couldn't claim it was a misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I think there is a bit of a difference between the bbq/big gathering scenario and having people over for a meal.

We would normally have a few gatherings over the course of the year - between about 7-10 of us plus girlfriends, so probably anything from 12-18 people there, and different people would host it, and the expectation is that everyone would throw in a tenner or so, which I think is fair enough.

But if people are just coming over for dinner, or some food and watch the match, then no way should they pay anything. I think the common practice is to bring a bottle of wine or a few beers, depending on whose house it is, but definitely not to pay when you are invited for a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Damm straight. There is no way I would have paid the bill in the first place, or if I did, not ask for reimbursement from the other 2 after wards. Edgar, you are a better/more generous/more tolerant etc etc man/woman than I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Two stingy stories from 2 different people.

We were meeting for drinks in a friends house before heading into town a few years ago and one girl bring her new boyfriend to meet us all.

This fella is not short of money, had a decent job at the time.

He arrives at the house arms swinging and drinks most of one of the lads cans.
    When we head into town the chap whose cans were just drank asked did anyone want a drink when he was on the way to the bar and yer man asks for a double JD and coke. The fella with deep pockets and short arms never bought him a drink back all night (probably still hasn't). He kept the receipt too.

My girlfriends ex housmate wouldn't buy toilet roll cause he "only went in work".

Same fella used to cook his own rice when he got a chinese to save money (dont know how much it actually saved) but that defeated the purpose of a take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

A few of the lads were at my place and we all ordered take away except our notoriously tight friend.I couldn't finish the pizza I got and was left with about half of it,so I put it up on the table for anyone to take some,cue my stingy friend closing up the box and putting it down beside him.One of the lads asked him for a slice of it,my stingy friend replied after a couple seconds of stalling:"I suppose I'll be generous and give you a slice but I'm taking the rest home with me".Felt like taking the pizza back off him.He's also a good man for conveniently turning up to a party or whatever after the off-license has closed and scabbing drink off everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

was working at a wedding in a four star hotel for 200+ people, my first week, broke student.
    bringing a tray of empty glasses to the bar, i notice a fifty euro note on the floor right behind two male customers. not wanting to be seen taking something that doesnt belong to me and get fired, i pick it up and ask the customer nearest me, "Did you drop this?" The man looks at me confused. His buddy sticks his nose in, goes "Yeah, he did," and snatches it out of my hand.
    Went to the barman on duty, they hadn't paid for or ordered a drink yet all night. Considering their hands had never gone in their pockets and the way each acted, it was obviously not theirs.
    They were probably doing the old trick: stand at the bar at a wedding with a nearly empty pint, when someone comes up to get a round for their table, drink the last gulp and say "Jaysus Paddy, been ages!" Seen it all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

sligoface wrote: »
    They were probably doing the old trick: stand at the bar at a wedding with a nearly empty pint, when someone comes up to get a round for their table, drink the last gulp and say "Jaysus Paddy, been ages!" Seen it all the time!

Excellent tactic! I must try that at the next wedding I'm at. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    People always show up at these things with nothing.

That's never been my experience. Must just be your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ronjo

That's never been my experience. Must just be your friends.

Absolutely........ Everytime we invite friends around everyone will bring something. It usually means people are going home with a doggy bag but nobody is so stingy as to turn up empty handed.

Haaa. I swear to God, in my head, I was bitch slappin' them with the take away bag aaalllll the way round that apatment.

I wish I had the neck to pull half the **** they did. I was stuck with not one lousey skinflint but two. Man, I pissed someboddy off real bad up theah. I could write a book on 'em. The tightest guy in Ireland used to have a stroke every time the gas bill came in. He'd sit at the table and trauma counsel himself but trying to make out that he didnt really feel the cold so why should he pay a third? Because I'll wake you up every morning until you do by creeping into your room and holding your nose. Thats fcuking why.

Took 3 fcuking mornings man. And only then cos I told him Id lick his food and hed never know what I had licked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Haaa. I swear to God, in my head, I was bitch slappin' them with the take away bag aaalllll the way round that apatment.

I wish I had the neck to pull half the **** they did. I was stuck with not one lousey skinflint but two. Man, I pissed someboddy off real bad up theah. I could write a book on 'em. The tightest guy in Ireland used to have a stroke every time the gas bill came in. He'd sit at the table and trauma counsel himself but trying to make out that he didnt really feel the cold so why should he pay a third? Because I'll wake you up every morning until you do by creeping into your room and holding your nose. Thats fcuking why.

Took 3 fcuking mornings man. And only then cos I told him Id lick his food and hed never know what I had licked.

Creeping in to someones bedroom, touching them, then telling them you're going to lick things belonging to them is kinda creepy :D

DarkJager wrote: »
    Creeping in to someones bedroom, touching them, then telling them you're going to lick things belonging to them is kinda creepy :D

Im not known for my fluffy outlook. Licking is an underrated passtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Im not known for my fluffy outlook. Licking is an underrated passtime.

Is it possible that you got stuck with a tightwad for a flatmate because you're a bit of a nutjob, yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

hearny wrote: »
    Two stingy stories from 2 different people.

We were meeting for drinks in a friends house before heading into town a few years ago and one girl bring her new boyfriend to meet us all.

This fella is not short of money, had a decent job at the time.

He arrives at the house arms swinging and drinks most of one of the lads cans.
    When we head into town the chap whose cans were just drank asked did anyone want a drink when he was on the way to the bar and yer man asks for a double JD and coke. The fella with deep pockets and short arms never bought him a drink back all night (probably still hasn't). He kept the receipt too.

My girlfriends ex housmate wouldn't buy toilet roll cause he "only went in work".

Same fella used to cook his own rice when he got a chinese to save money (dont know how much it actually saved) but that defeated the purpose of a take away.

First story is stingy, second story not that stingy at all tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You: When art thou going to pay thy share of the gas bill?

Housemate: Nevermore!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

My old boss was so bad (and she on a 6 figure salary) she was spotted a few times walking home checking the phone boxes for any change that might not have been taken out of the return slot! And she was also known to one time claim money off a weekly bus ticket she had because the buses didn't run one of the days, she claimed that days moneys worth back!

You: When art thou going to pay thy share of the gas bill?

Housemate: Nevermore!

:D Bang on Purple.

I'd radda be nutty than tight man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

My old boss was so bad (and she on a 6 figure salary) she was spotted a few times walking home checking the phone boxes for any change that might not have been taken out of the return slot! And she was also known to one time claim money off a weekly bus ticket she had because the buses didn't run one of the days, she claimed that days moneys worth back!
    If I paid for a service that I didn't get, I would want my money back too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement