Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

hearny wrote: »
    Two stingy stories from 2 different people.

We were meeting for drinks in a friends house before heading into town a few years ago and one girl bring her new boyfriend to meet us all.

This fella is not short of money, had a decent job at the time.

He arrives at the house arms swinging and drinks most of one of the lads cans.
    When we head into town the chap whose cans were just drank asked did anyone want a drink when he was on the way to the bar and yer man asks for a double JD and coke. The fella with deep pockets and short arms never bought him a drink back all night (probably still hasn't). He kept the receipt too.

My girlfriends ex housmate wouldn't buy toilet roll cause he "only went in work".

Same fella used to cook his own rice when he got a chinese to save money (dont know how much it actually saved) but that defeated the purpose of a take away.

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. You would usually get an option of free chips or rice with a main course so get the chips and throw a rice in the microwave when the takeaway arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

sligoface wrote: »
    was working at a wedding in a four star hotel for 200+ people, my first week, broke student.
    bringing a tray of empty glasses to the bar, i notice a fifty euro note on the floor right behind two male customers. not wanting to be seen taking something that doesnt belong to me and get fired, i pick it up and ask the customer nearest me, "Did you drop this?" The man looks at me confused. His buddy sticks his nose in, goes "Yeah, he did," and snatches it out of my hand.
    Went to the barman on duty, they hadn't paid for or ordered a drink yet all night. Considering their hands had never gone in their pockets and the way each acted, it was obviously not theirs.
    They were probably doing the old trick: stand at the bar at a wedding with a nearly empty pint, when someone comes up to get a round for their table, drink the last gulp and say "Jaysus Paddy, been ages!" Seen it all the time!

Oh my god this reminds me of a time I was really small, we used to go to the pub after the food shopping for a quick drink.
    There was a wooden floor with gaps in it, and I somehow spotted a 20 pound note stuck in one of the gaps. Obviously had been there for a while.
    But naive little 10 year old me picks it up and goes up to the nearest man at the bar, asks him did he lose this? He goes "eh yeah... yeah.. I did, thanks"

I was so happy with myself for being nice, then my mom told me I should have pocketed it. In hindsight, yes I should have, but that man was one stingy fukcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Stingy/genius on my part, but...

There's a music festival that goes on every year near where I live. It's a small festival but attracts up to 20,000 people and it's mainly rock and blues and shít like that. I've been going every year for the past six years and love it! But I have noticed that the wrist bands alternate between two colours, and nothing else.

I found a place online that sells the exact wristbands in the colour that I expect next year's to be, but blank, for 10euro per 100. I think I'll buy them and treat my friends! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Stingy/genius on my part, but...

There's a music festival that goes on every year near where I live. It's a small festival but attracts up to 20,000 people and it's mainly rock and blues and shít like that. I've been going every year for the past six years and love it! But I have noticed that the wrist bands alternate between two colours, and nothing else.

I found a place online that sells the exact wristbands in the colour that I expect next year's to be, but blank, for 10euro per 100. I think I'll buy them and treat my friends! :D

I am going to mail every festival organiser this year and give them a heads up to this. A festival of 20,000 is small therefore a small time affair therefore tight margins. You're stealing! I'm telling ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

I love my BF dearly, but he is one of tightest men that God ever put legs on!

The smart b0llix has learned that even though I will leave him sink or swim for everything else, I will buy a decent gift for him to give his Mam for Christmas, Mothers' Day, Easter and birthday. (She always thanks me, he is 47, and unlike most Irish Mammies, she is aware of what she is dealing with!)

Three days ago we were talking about what she is getting for Mothers' Day.

BF- She needs oven gloves.
    Me- No, you can't do that, you gave her tea towels for Christmas. (Apparently, she needed tea towels :rolleyes:)
    BF- No, I gave her three things for Christmas.
    Me- You are counting the perfume I gave you for her, and what, the wrapping paper?
    BF- No.....

(...wait for it....)

I gave her a card as well!!!

I am getting all picture no sound for the last three days because I cannot look at him without laughing out loud. And it is getting worse every day because every time I look at him I remember that he took the card from my box of 20 Christmas Cards! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Your boyfriend sounds like a w*nker. Good luck with living with that attitude for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

lazygal wrote: »
    Your boyfriend sounds like a w*nker. Good luck with living with that attitude for the rest of your life.

Thats a bit harsh ...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

lazygal wrote: »

Trust me, I have dealt with true w*nkers, and it does not apply here.

We balance each other out. He hates to spend, but will throw out stuff cause "it's taking up space!" or throw out the cheap sh!t he bought cause it tastes muck.

My grandmother raised me, so I cannot tolerate waste. I will spend on good quality, but will insist that every drop is used or that an item is worn out beyond repair before it is recycled for something else.

He has however learned not to buy cheap sh!t food when I send him shopping because he has been forced to eat every bit! But I will never get it into his head that milk is not gone off simply because it was opened yesterday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

D/P Whoops

I have a wealthy American corporate lawyer staying with me at the moment.

She won't let me touch her guidebook in case I crimple a page as she wants to return it after her holiday is over.

Same girl went to China and bought a coat. Wore it all over South East Asia and went beserk that the shop in China wouldn't refund it after her holiday was over after she kept the tags on for the whole trip.

Today she heated up last night's take away because she wouldn't pay for a meal.

She wanted me to drive her all over the country. When I suggested we get a tour bus (as I knew she wouldn't chip in for petrol) she looked at the prices and was like.....eh.......nah it's ok (It was a €21 tour).

Same person goes on and on and on about how much money she earns. ARGH!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

^^^Kick her out, I wouldn't have people like that around me.

Seriously, what good are they. You couldn't trust them or rely on them for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Was in Thailand on holiday and went up to this waterfall on the island of Koh Samui. Walked up the trail and there was a hut there selling snacks and stuff and a sign saying to visit the waterfall would be 20 Thai-baht, (5ocents).
    There was these Scottish backpackers who refused to pay it, saying it was a rip-off and it should be free as it was a natural waterfall. The girl was arguing with the guy in the hut trying to get in for free. He said no way.
    She then says to me "are you going to pay"? i said yeah its only 20baht and that's their living, don't be so tight"...

She pulled a face and away they went....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Seriously bad luck there Dory. A corporate lawyer AND a corporate banker staying with you at the exact same time with the exact same affliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 recentlybigl

A great uncle of mine (god rest his good soul), used to hand ya a 50p piece and say "Now that should be enough to by a stamp to write me a thank you letter.."

and dont say 50p was a lot of money at one point, cuz it wasnt...he was just stingey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

My mate went to a 21st of a good friend of ours. He didnt have a present so he stuck a dodgy CD he found down the back of his CD player without the box in the envelope with a card saying happy christmas or whatever seasonal card he found lying around the house.
    The thing was scratched to **** and not even in a box.
    It was really funny at the time , but really stingy.

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Seriously bad luck there Dory. A corporate lawyer AND a corporate banker staying with you at the exact same time with the exact same affliction.

Whoops, sorry. I edited it when i realised I'd got the title of her job wrong and musta done something wrong.

Feel ill have a fair few more stories by the time she leaves Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

... refuse to pay 20c to use the loo in Stephen's Green shopping centre

sooooooo scabby

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

The 'bauld old Mice E*** dumping into
    the trash compactor at work and bringing home
    his black sack with him.

:D

He'd keep mice at the crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Pippy1976 wrote: »

sooooooo scabby

We pissed outside of The Shellbourne back in the day.

Why should WE PAY?!?!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Years ago now I was in a chippie with a "friend" and i was playing a coin machine while waiting for my order to be made up. The machine took 2p to play and when my order was ready I gave my "friend " three 2p,s that i had left while i went to the counter to get my order.
    My "friend" put the 2p,s into the machine and on the last 2p he won the jackpot which was probably worth around 5 punts then, a lot of money.
    So I got my chips and went over to him and he kindly gave me back my three 2p,s and pocketed the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

sooooooo scabby

id not pay 20c to have a sh1te so am i scabby ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

falan wrote: »
    Was in Thailand on holiday and went up to this waterfall on the island of Koh Samui. Walked up the trail and there was a hut there selling snacks and stuff and a sign saying to visit the waterfall would be 20 Thai-baht, (5ocents).
    Wow just wow

You could have swapped your notes for a jar full of 20 baht coins,

wonderful things near closing time in a dark busy pub ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

fanadman1 wrote: »

sooooooo scabby

id not pay 20c to have a sh1te so am i scabby ?

I don't know. Are you?

When you gotta go you gotta go... 20c shouldn't stand in your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Met a former schoolfriend in a pub in my homeplace over the weekend, he now lives in Galway but was living near Mullingar and working in Intel in Leixlip for a few years till a short time ago.

There were 4 of them from roughly the same area on the same shift so they agreed to car pool, so everyone pays for one week out of 4. The idea is you pay for the fuel and tolls for your car for this week no matter what car you have, next guy pays next week and so on and so on.

Turns out one of the lads kept missing his week, or drove at best 2-3 days of his week as the car "was broken, punctured etc etc.".

Eventually they gave him an ultimatum, he had to drive the whole week up and down to Intel or get off the carpool. Now from where they were at the pick up point near Mullingar was about 35 mins drive max via the M4 toll to the doors of Intel. Mr Stingy starts to drive from Mullingar and decides to pull off and go along the old N4 at Kinnegad to save the toll thus adding about 15 mins to the overall time. Bad enough but he also insisted at driving at 80-90 km/h on the motorway and 60 km/h on the ordinary roads and doing a lot of coasting to save fuel thus making them well over 30 mins late.

He insisted on doing the same thing every day, so it was 30 mins extra to get to work, and 30 mins to go home, so you lost an hour of your own time each day.

Needless to say they threw him off the car pool, he got a reputation for being stingy and as a result nobody anywhere would car pool with him. So it ended out costing him a lot more than his potential savings.

He told me a few other stories about him, regularly taking pens, stationery etc from the place and flogging it via donedeal, adverts.ie etc. The wife was a teacher, he was on about €31,000 before tax, no kids and he had inherited the family home so its not as if they were stuck for cash.

Tight twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The 20c hands free phone kit. :D

2im9891.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

bijapos wrote: »
    Met a former schoolfriend in a pub in my homeplace over the weekend, he now lives in Galway but was living near Mullingar and working in Intel in Leixlip for a few years till a short time ago.

There were 4 of them from roughly the same area on the same shift so they agreed to car pool, so everyone pays for one week out of 4. The idea is you pay for the fuel and tolls for your car for this week no matter what car you have, next guy pays next week and so on and so on.

Turns out one of the lads kept missing his week, or drove at best 2-3 days of his week as the car "was broken, punctured etc etc.".

Eventually they gave him an ultimatum, he had to drive the whole week up and down to Intel or get off the carpool. Now from where they were at the pick up point near Mullingar was about 35 mins drive max via the M4 toll to the doors of Intel. Mr Stingy starts to drive from Mullingar and decides to pull off and go along the old N4 at Kinnegad to save the toll thus adding about 15 mins to the overall time. Bad enough but he also insisted at driving at 80-90 km/h on the motorway and 60 km/h on the ordinary roads and doing a lot of coasting to save fuel thus making them well over 30 mins late.

He insisted on doing the same thing every day, so it was 30 mins extra to get to work, and 30 mins to go home, so you lost an hour of your own time each day.

Needless to say they threw him off the car pool, he got a reputation for being stingy and as a result nobody anywhere would car pool with him. So it ended out costing him a lot more than his potential savings.

He told me a few other stories about him, regularly taking pens, stationery etc from the place and flogging it via donedeal, adverts.ie etc. The wife was a teacher, he was on about €31,000 before tax, no kids and he had inherited the family home so its not as if they were stuck for cash.

Tight twat.

"taking pens, sationary, ect from the place and flogging it on donedeal."

Now my quistion is, if he robbed a pen from work which cost about 1euro and a dd add casts 3euro, would he not just be costing himself money. It would only be worth while if he took a computer or something similar to sell on donedeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

One million views?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Now my quistion is, if he robbed a pen from work which cost about 1euro and a dd add casts 3euro, would he not just be costing himself money. It would only be worth while if he took a computer or something similar to sell on donedeal.

Never worked for a big company? You get access to boxes of stationary, not just a "pen", but rather a box of 300 pens. Same goes for everything stationary really. Even IT peripherals are going that way too, ink cartridges, mice, leads etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Never worked for a big company? You get access to boxes of stationary, not just a "pen", but rather a box of 300 pens. Same goes for everything stationary really. Even IT peripherals are going that way too, ink cartridges, mice, leads etc...

No i never worked for a big company, I never expected to be either at the age of 18. Where you working for a big company at 18?

Anywho thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

dont know about donedeal but adverts.ie is free

If he robbed a box of pens he should be fired. Sticking one pen into your pocket can be called careless but taking home a box is theft and just pushes up costs for the company which is providing jobs for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement