Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

psychward wrote: »
    dont know about donedeal but adverts.ie is free

If he robbed a box of pens he should be fired. Sticking one pen into your pocket can be called careless but taking home a box is theft and just pushes up costs for the company which is providing jobs for everyone.

Donedeal adds are 3euro each.
    But ya I get what your saying. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Grandfather was know for being very cheap. We were told as kids not to 'waste' towels after getting out of swimming pool, instead we were to run ourselves dry. Grannie hide to hide sweets to give to us. He wouldn't pay medical bills. When he was about 75-80 yrs old he used to send my 18 year old cousin to get him a six pack of beer (meister brau the cheapest nastiest beer you could get at the time) giving him the exact amount for the cost of the beer. Even though the cousin had no job he hadn't the heart (or didn't want to hear the grandfather moan) so when they raised the price of the beer he just covered the difference. A few years later when someone told the grandfather, he finally admitted he knew all along the price had gone up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My sisters a stingy cow, absolutly loaded, but seems to go with the territory. I walked into Tesco pushing a trolley I slotted a euro into to get. An elderly woman was looking flustered, came over and asked us would we by any chance have a euro for a trolley as she only had a €2 coin, which we could have, in exchange for a euro. I said, dont be daft, here, have a euro, keep your €2 luv, have a nice day. Sister reaches across, takes the womans €2, says thanks, and walks off. Was only a small thing, but it absolutely pi55ed me off - the cowsister even profited out of me doing somthing nice for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Pottler wrote: »
    My sisters a stingy cow, absolutly loaded, but seems to go with the territory. I walked into Tesco pushing a trolley I slotted a euro into to get. An elderly woman was looking flustered, came over and asked us would we by any chance have a euro for a trolley as she only had a €2 coin, which we could have, in exchange for a euro. I said, dont be daft, here, have a euro, keep your €2 luv, have a nice day. Sister reaches across, takes the womans €2, says thanks, and walks off. Was only a small thing, but it absolutely pi55ed me off - the cowsister even profited out of me doing somthing nice for someone else.

Im sorry but Id ring your sisters bloody neck, thats horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Pottler wrote: »

Was walking over to get a trolley from the bay in a supermarket last week and was intercepted by a middle-aged guy with a big grin on his face, who offered me his trolley for my £1 (I'm in London). Swapped it over and thought nothing of it until I docked the trolley and found that he'd used a coin from South America or somewhere. It was only a pound but it really pi$$ed me off. How fcuking scabby is that?! Your man was about 50 aswell. I think it's pretty pathetic behaviour from someone so old. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Just got out of a taxi there home from town...

The fare was €15.25

Any taxi man I ever get always justs rounds it off to nearest number which in this case would be €15 and then I would throw in a tip as well,

But he asked for the €15.25 and that just pissed me off, I know things are bad for them but that's ridiculous. So feck him and his tip he got bang on the exact fare off me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I've a friend who I have stopped asking out because of her pure stinginess!

One night she rang me to go out and I already made plans but told her to come along.

So she meets us in the bar and we all already had a drink. She sat at the table for about 40 mins with nothing to drink. I kept on saying to her would she not get a drink. Her reply was oh I will in a minute.

One of the guys is a generous guy and when going to the bar for his round he said to my friend, would you like a drink?

She said oh yes! A double Bacardi and orange!:eek: I nearly got sick!

She sat over that drink for the night.

Another night I met her, it was towards the end of the night so I decided I'd have a vodka as a night cap.

So the waitress brings over a vodka and diet 7up for me. The waitress put it on the table. My friend picked up the vodka, sniffed it and said oh you know I don't like vodka, but I'll drink it anyway. She drank it straight away.

That was my last time inviting her out. I'm not getting stung! Fûck that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I saw Sting, himself, not give a pound to a beggar

..because it didn't have his face on it. "might be minted, mate, but I'm not the mint"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

cruais wrote: »
    So the waitress brings over a vodka and diet 7up for me. The waitress put it on the table. My friend picked up the vodka, sniffed it and said oh you know I don't like vodka, but I'll drink it anyway. She drank it straight away.

I hope to God that you made her pay for it. You drinkzees it. You payeeez for it is the #1 commandment in my Drinkers Bible !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I hope to God that you made her pay for it. You drinkzees it. You payeeez for it is the #1 commandment in my Drinkers Bible !

I had paid straight away when I ordered as it was last orders... She must think I'm a mug... And trust me, her bank balance could pay for the Mahon tribunal!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

One night she rang me to go out and I already made plans but told her to come along.

So she meets us in the bar and we all already had a drink. She sat at the table for about 40 mins with nothing to drink. I kept on saying to her would she not get a drink. Her reply was oh I will in a minute.

One of the guys is a generous guy and when going to the bar for his round he said to my friend, would you like a drink?

Another night I met her, it was towards the end of the night so I decided I'd have a vodka as a night cap.

did you do the right thing and call her a cnut to her face maybe even explaining why in case she was really really really slow at understanding social situations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Was walking over to get a trolley from the bay in a supermarket last week and was intercepted by a middle-aged guy with a big grin on his face, who offered me his trolley for my £1 (I'm in London). Swapped it over and thought nothing of it until I docked the trolley and found that he'd used a coin from South America or somewhere. It was only a pound but it really pi$$ed me off. How fcuking scabby is that?! Your man was about 50 aswell. I think it's pretty pathetic behaviour from someone so old. :mad:

Those trolleys can be opened easily with any coin bar a 1c 2c or 10c as they are small, Even house key will open them.

I get funny looks when people offer me a euro for the trolley as I'm bringing it back to the trolley bay, I have to say "Sorry I'v nothing in it". I'm not stingy enough to take someone's euro and leave them with a twenty cent coin in the trolley.

Slip a coin or key in and push it to the left and it will open.

A previous poster mentioned about someone taking napkins from McDonalds instead of buying toilet paper, Well I used to always take the big jumbo toilet rolls from the college or random pubs in the city, Those rolls are generally in a locked roll holder but are easy to open, And the big roll lasts ages..

I also whipped a mop bucket from next door, Funny stuff, I had broke mine and I was outside and noticed the cleaning lady from next door had left yellow mop bucket out, How bad matches my bins and bathroom paint.
    So I peeked in and saw her hoovering the stairs and whipped the bucket. I had broken my own bucket as I had to clean smoke from my car when someone from that house had set a bin on fire a few nights before so i didn't feel anyway scummy for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PerlenBacher

The fare was €15.25

Any taxi man I ever get always justs rounds it off to nearest number which in this case would be €15 and then I would throw in a tip as well,

But he asked for the €15.25 and that just pissed me off, I know things are bad for them but that's ridiculous. So feck him and his tip he got bang on the exact fare off me

He was an African taxi driver, right? (and no i am not racist for people already willing to jump down my throat :rolleyes:)
    But having been in too many taxis in my time. Its generally the African taxi drivers who call it out to the cent .... THEN expect a tip too.

charlemont wrote: »
    I had broken my own bucket as I had to clean smoke from my car when someone from that house had set a bin on fire a few nights before so i didn't feel anyway scummy for doing it.

Thanks for giving us an insight into the self justifications of the criminal mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I can't understand how people get away with this. Why didn't you simply say "Sorry, that's my drink - the bar is over there". Why would you let her drink it? BAFFLING.

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I can't understand how people get away with this. Why didn't you simply say "Sorry, that's my drink - the bar is over there". Why would you let her drink it? BAFFLING.

I never understand that either. It's not mean , it's standing up for what's right.
    In fact because nobody lives in a vacuum, therefore tolerating it is bad for society and is the thing people should be ashamed about.

Does the prevalence of a lot of these types of story mean a number of Irish people are in general acting a lot behind the backs of others even though to their face they act stupid ? If you can complain on a forum behind someones back surely you can tell them they are miserable thieving gits to their faces ? If someone broke into your house would you wait for them to take what they want and after they leave go post on a forum or would you instead call the cops ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I never understand that either. It's not mean , it's standing up for what's right.
    In fact because nobody lives in a vacuum, therefore tolerating it is bad for society and is the thing people should be ashamed about.

Does the prevalence of a lot of these types of story mean a number of Irish people are in general acting a lot behind the backs of others even though to their face they act stupid ? If you can complain on a forum behind someones back surely you can tell them they are miserable thieving gits to their faces ? If someone broke into your house would you wait for them to take what they want and after they leave go post on a forum or would you instead call the cops ? :D

This is why everyone should watch Curb Your Enthusiasm

Seriously though, anyone in that position has to say "get to fu*k". I hate reading anything on this thread where these leeches get away with their behaviour.

You are both right. You should pull someone up over it.

Like fair enough if it takes a person few seconds to register (register being in awe of the cheek) But theres no excuse to not say hold the f--k on!
    Because by them doing that, they aint your mate or anything. they are just a bloody hungary user! ... run them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He was an African taxi driver, right? (and no i am not racist for people already willing to jump down my throat :rolleyes:)
    But having been in too many taxis in my time. Its generally the African taxi drivers who call it out to the cent .... THEN expect a tip too.

I've been short changed in a number of my occasional taxi journeys in the last 18 months, they were all Irish drivers that did this. The Africans gave me the exact change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Is this thread making anyone else worry about how their behaviour may be perceived?
    When im out i usually end up getting into rounds with 2 or 3 of the lads, but once we get to the club, i end up heading off on my own, bumping into the lads every so often, and they've bought me another pint, and me with a full pint i bought myself. Ah well, i think it evens itself out in the end.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I've been short changed in a number of my occasional taxi journeys in the last 18 months, they were all Irish drivers that did this. The Africans gave me the exact change.

Maybe we just have different experiences that shape our views.
    But over the last year, as i regularly get taxis, out of all the black taxi drivers I got all except 1 said the fare to the cent.

I remember having gotten a taxi and the fare said 10c above the euro mark (it was something like €10.10) Wouldnt knock ten cent off so I give 11euro and await the change. The face and manner of him :rolleyes: that how dare I want for my change back rather than saying keep it :rolleyes: ... but yet he wanted to get that 10 cent out of me. How dare I get my change back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

The-Rigger wrote: »

Maybe we just have different experiences that shape our views.
    But over the last year, as i regularly get taxis, out of all the black taxi drivers I got all except 1 said the fare to the cent.

I remember having gotten a taxi and the fare said 10c above the euro mark (it was something like €10.10) Wouldnt knock ten cent off so I give 11euro and await the change. The face and manner of him :rolleyes: that how dare I want for my change back rather than saying keep it :rolleyes: ... but yet he wanted to get that 10 cent out of me. How dare I get my change back?
    Get taxis home 5 or 6 nights a week from work,its city centre just wouldnt walk it at that time on my own,with dublin drivers it costs 5.50 every single time,with african drivers its over 7 euro every single time,its weird the way it works!some of the taxi men mid week at night are weird chaps!

ColeTrain wrote: »
    This is why everyone should watch Curb Your Enthusiasm

I just watched my first episode on YouTube. Very funny. Thanks for hooking me up with this show as I don't normally have the patience to watch television randomly to sift through all the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

charlemont wrote: »

I also whipped a mop bucket from next door, Funny stuff, I had broke mine and I was outside and noticed the cleaning lady from next door had left yellow mop bucket out, How bad matches my bins and bathroom paint.
    So I peeked in and saw her hoovering the stairs and whipped the bucket. I had broken my own bucket as I had to clean smoke from my car when someone from that house had set a bin on fire a few nights before so i didn't feel anyway scummy for doing it.

That's not stingy, that's just plain old being a thief. She more than likely brought her own cleaning bucket and supplies with her. You should feel pretty scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

The fare was €15.25

To be honest he wasn't a African driver. It made me laugh. So I made sure I rooted out my pocket for the bang on 25 cent. Saved myself a few euro tip too, serves him right

I did forget to mention that it was on the day her dad died so she coulda been a bit outta sorts however I did say, " oh well I got that for myself". I was ignored.

This comes from a girl who rings to tell me she has no friends and that she can never meet anyone. She's never had a boyfriend. But would you feckin wonder!

I'm not bitching behind her back either. I have said it to her numerous times before, but in a more subtle way. " let's stick to getting our own drink today, I don't like rounds and I'm broke!"

She still manages to wangle.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I did forget to mention that it was on the day her dad died so she coulda been a bit outta sorts however I did say, " oh well I got that for myself". I was ignored.

This comes from a girl who rings to tell me she has no friends and that she can never meet anyone. She's never had a boyfriend. But would you feckin wonder!

I'm not bitching behind her back either. I have said it to her numerous times before, but in a more subtle way. " let's stick to getting our own drink today, I don't like rounds and I'm broke!"

She still manages to wangle.:rolleyes:

She was out drinking the night her dad died??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The fare was €15.25

I don't mind when that happens. I'll hand him a twenty and when comes back with 2 €2 I'll always make him get the 75cent, as per your example! Let him wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

She was out drinking the night her dad died??
    Ireland ehh....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

My brother is legendary for being a thieving, scroungy chancer..

A few weeks back myself, the sister and two brothers (including the stingy one) went to visit my grandparents (my granny has since passed away, but she was at the last stages of her sickness when we went to visit)..

We were all fairly shook afterwards so we decided to go for a pint. My sister doesn't usually drink so she was happy getting out and away from her kids for an hour. She only had her card and asked me to get her pint and she's get me back which was fine.

So we got to the bar anyway, everyone ordered their pints and as the barman was pouring my brother goes "So who's paying for mine?" Those exact words... When we all laughed he said "Seriously, I don't have any money on me at all".

I asked why he didn't think of that before he ordered himself a pint. He was there.. "Sher just pay for it, it's only like €4.50 what's the big deal?!"

My sis didn't have it, my other brother is on the dole and he absolutely wasn't paying, and the stingy brother screwed me out of 400 quid I gave him for a loan 2 years ago so he certainly is never getting another penny off me...

After the 3 of us paid the barman, he stood there waiting for the payment for his pint, stingy brother said once more.. "Is REALLY no one going to pay for it?!"... "Oh well fúck ya's then"... He pulled a tenner out of his pocket and paid the barman...

I don't talk to my brother much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement