Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Sykk wrote: »
    My brother is legendary for being a thieving, scroungy chancer..

A few weeks back myself, the sister and two brothers (including the stingy one) went to visit my grandparents (my granny has since passed away, but she was at the last stages of her sickness when we went to visit)..

We were all fairly shook afterwards so we decided to go for a pint. My sister doesn't usually drink so she was happy getting out and away from her kids for an hour. She only had her card and asked me to get her pint and she's get me back which was fine.

So we got to the bar anyway, everyone ordered their pints and as the barman was pouring my brother goes "So who's paying for mine?" Those exact words... When we all laughed he said "Seriously, I don't have any money on me at all".

I asked why he didn't think of that before he ordered himself a pint. He was there.. "Sher just pay for it, it's only like €4.50 what's the big deal?!"

My sis didn't have it, my other brother is on the dole and he absolutely wasn't paying, and the stingy brother screwed me out of 400 quid I gave him for a loan 2 years ago so he certainly is never getting another penny off me...

After the 3 of us paid the barman, he stood there waiting for the payment for his pint, stingy brother said once more.. "Is REALLY no one going to pay for it?!"... "Oh well fúck ya's then"... He pulled a tenner out of his pocket and paid the barman...

I don't talk to my brother much.

Sorry but your brothers a p***k.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Just got out of a taxi there home from town...

The fare was €15.25

Any taxi man I ever get always justs rounds it off to nearest number which in this case would be €15 and then I would throw in a tip as well,

But he asked for the €15.25 and that just pissed me off, I know things are bad for them but that's ridiculous. So feck him and his tip he got bang on the exact fare off me

I don't mind when that happens. I'll hand him a twenty and when comes back with 2 €2 I'll always make him get the 75cent, as per your example! Let him wait!

That's good thinking batman, I will do that next time, it would make it feel that much more sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i don't understand how a taxi person wanting you to pay the fare charged for the service you asked for is stingy
    surely throwing a strop about it is stingy

do you get angry when you buy 20.25 of petrol and they won't just take a 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Sykk wrote: »
    My brother is legendary for being a thieving, scroungy chancer..

A few weeks back myself, the sister and two brothers (including the stingy one) went to visit my grandparents (my granny has since passed away, but she was at the last stages of her sickness when we went to visit)..

We were all fairly shook afterwards so we decided to go for a pint. My sister doesn't usually drink so she was happy getting out and away from her kids for an hour. She only had her card and asked me to get her pint and she's get me back which was fine.

So we got to the bar anyway, everyone ordered their pints and as the barman was pouring my brother goes "So who's paying for mine?" Those exact words... When we all laughed he said "Seriously, I don't have any money on me at all".

I asked why he didn't think of that before he ordered himself a pint. He was there.. "Sher just pay for it, it's only like €4.50 what's the big deal?!"

My sis didn't have it, my other brother is on the dole and he absolutely wasn't paying, and the stingy brother screwed me out of 400 quid I gave him for a loan 2 years ago so he certainly is never getting another penny off me...

After the 3 of us paid the barman, he stood there waiting for the payment for his pint, stingy brother said once more.. "Is REALLY no one going to pay for it?!"... "Oh well fúck ya's then"... He pulled a tenner out of his pocket and paid the barman...

I don't talk to my brother much.

So he caught you for €400 and then he tries to catch you for €4.50 when he had his own money in his pocket, what a miserable bastard. I think it's time you gave your brother a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Lived with an English girl in Australia who was the meanest person I've ever met.

Whenever we'd rent dvds to watch she'd refuse to chip in and pay for them cos she'd say that she didn't want to get a dvd.....BUT she'd sit there and end up watching them.

There was 4 of us sharing the house and if someone saw that we were low on bread/milk, you'd just buy some and someone else would get it the next time. Not her. If she bought bread, she'd go to each one of us and ask for the 45c off each of us and if you'd no change, she'd remind you that you owed her 45c over and over until your ears would bleed.

She ended up owing me 2 dollars one time and I would never have bothered asking for it back off anyone else, but because it was her, I asked her just out of principal. She told me that one of the other girls owed her 4 dollars and as soon as she got the 4 dollars off them, then she'd give me back my 2 dollars :eek:

The final straw was when she offered me a voucher she'd won a few months earlier, for 40 dollars off a skydive as she knew I was doing one in a few days and she was leaving Australia and wouldn't get to use it. I was in shock and thought - ah, fair play! Used the voucher and the night before we left, we were all out on the piss and she came up to me, hugged me, told me how much she'd miss me and asked me if I had the 40 dollars I owed her :eek::eek: I looked at her blankly and she reminded me about the voucher. I was too pissed to think clearly so I just said that I didn't have it on my so she very kindly told me that was no problem, she'd walk with me downstairs to the ATM and I could take it out and give it to her. I was so stunned, I ended up handing over the 40 dollars.

You nearly have to admire that brass neck and the deviousness of that plan :rolleyes: Needless to say, I cut all contact with her after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Lived with an English girl in Australia who was the meanest person I've ever met.

Whenever we'd rent dvds to watch she'd refuse to chip in and pay for them cos she'd say that she didn't want to get a dvd.....BUT she'd sit there and end up watching them.

There was 4 of us sharing the house and if someone saw that we were low on bread/milk, you'd just buy some and someone else would get it the next time. Not her. If she bought bread, she'd go to each one of us and ask for the 45c off each of us and if you'd no change, she'd remind you that you owed her 45c over and over until your ears would bleed.

She ended up owing me 2 dollars one time and I would never have bothered asking for it back off anyone else, but because it was her, I asked her just out of principal. She told me that one of the other girls owed her 4 dollars and as soon as she got the 4 dollars off them, then she'd give me back my 2 dollars :eek:

The final straw was when she offered me a voucher she'd won a few months earlier, for 40 dollars off a skydive as she knew I was doing one in a few days and she was leaving Australia and wouldn't get to use it. I was in shock and thought - ah, fair play! Used the voucher and the night before we left, we were all out on the piss and she came up to me, hugged me, told me how much she'd miss me and asked me if I had the 40 dollars I owed her :eek::eek: I looked at her blankly and she reminded me about the voucher. I was too pissed to think clearly so I just said that I didn't have it on my so she very kindly told me that was no problem, she'd walk with me downstairs to the ATM and I could take it out and give it to her. I was so stunned, I ended up handing over the 40 dollars.

You nearly have to admire that brass neck and the deviousness of that plan :rolleyes: Needless to say, I cut all contact with her after that.

Oh God, I am cringing for her reading that!!!

No way would I have given her the €40 - I'd have told her to go jump ;):p

Not sure if stingy and cheap are the same thing, but my flatmate cooks a pot of porridge and saves any left over in the fridge and eats it cold the next morning.

Has a good job, so not sure why he chooses to live as if he is on €10/week.

The only meat he buys is pork chops - because they are the cheapest in the supermarket.

His big treat is a takeaway coffee from a cafe on a Sunday...

I don't know.... why be stingy/cheap if you don't have to be. Bloody miserable living like that if you don't have to.

Still, his life.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

psychward wrote: »
    I just watched my first episode on YouTube. Very funny. Thanks for hooking me up with this show as I don't normally have the patience to watch television randomly to sift through all the crap.

No problem, I'd love to see Larry David in some of these situations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Just got out of a taxi there home from town...

The fare was €15.25

Any taxi man I ever get always justs rounds it off to nearest number which in this case would be €15 and then I would throw in a tip as well,

But he asked for the €15.25 and that just pissed me off, I know things are bad for them but that's ridiculous. So feck him and his tip he got bang on the exact fare off me

He was an African taxi driver, right? (and no i am not racist for people already willing to jump down my throat :rolleyes:)
    But having been in too many taxis in my time. Its generally the African taxi drivers who call it out to the cent .... THEN expect a tip too.

Tbh, your assumption of a persons race based on them performing such a negative action makes you a racist in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

In a pack of Jacobs Chocolate Covered Mikados there is only 8 biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I saw a man in McDonalds, Cavan town make his kids share an ice cream for desert while he had another Big Mac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

etloveslsd wrote: »
    I saw a man in McDonalds, Cavan town make his kids share an ice cream for desert while he had another Big Mac

Ugh this is coming flashing back into memory... In January I saw the same thing but I think about a million times worse in the KFC in Blanchardstown . 2 Undernourished looking kids sharing one ice cream and one small fries between them while the parents had the biggest pile ... let me be clear about how big the parents pile was it looked like the table was full .. in fact the parents had their own table while the kids sat on the edge of some small counter ... the parents had FAT hanging over their belts and pushing out of the seats of their pants... both of them looking like they were within a hamburger of being permanently housebound. I did not thank my girlfriend for pointing them out to me (she always notices kids thats how she is as she thinks like a mom) and making me turn my head around. really spoiled my appetite. But anyway mean as fu(k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ugh this is coming flashing back into memory... In January I saw the same thing but I think about a million times worse in the KFC in Blanchardstown . 2 Undernourished looking kids sharing one ice cream and one small fries between them while the parents had the biggest pile ... let me be clear about how big the parents pile was it looked like the table was full .. in fact the parents had their own table while the kids sat on the edge of some small counter ... the parents had FAT hanging over their belts and pushing out of the seats of their pants... both of them looking like they were within a hamburger of being permanently housebound. I did not thank my girlfriend for pointing them out to me (she always notices kids thats how she is as she thinks like a mom) and making me turn my head around. really spoiled my appetite. But anyway mean as fu(k

They were being mean but I also think that the parents were probably doing their kids a favour. An unintentional favour, but a favour nevertheless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It's ma,mam,or mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

bluewolf wrote: »
    i don't understand how a taxi person wanting you to pay the fare charged for the service you asked for is stingy

I never buy €20.25 in petrol, I'd be happy with the €20...

In a petrol station it's not up to the cashier to offer it to me for €20 if I did get €20.25, but in a taxi man situation it's his discretion.

Sure if u had a poll I bet at least 80% of taxi drivers would say they'd leave it at the
    Nearest number.

That's just my opinion I am sure most of the general public would think the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

bluewolf wrote: »

I never buy €20.25 in petrol, I'd be happy with the €20...

In a petrol station it's not up to the cashier to offer it to me for €20 if I did get €20.25, but in a taxi man situation it's his discretion.

Sure if u had a poll I bet at least 80% of taxi drivers would say they'd leave it at the
    Nearest number.

That's just my opinion I am sure most of the general public would think the same

Thats only because their not arsed carrying change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Funny, I never take change off a taxi driver, if it was 10 something I'd give them 12, regardless of whether they rounded down or not, the only ones I give the exact amount to are ones I know drove intentionally longer routes, generally they lose out by doing that with me. It is something I find atrociously stingy on their part, and kind of stupid, surely at peak times it makes more sense to get someone else into the car asap than to drive me around for an extra two minutes?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It's ma,mam,or mother.

Romantic Ireland is dead and gone.

I'm telling me ma on ya if you keep on being pedantic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Steven81

With the day that it is today i remember one lad that bought a daffodil badge years ago and got it out every year for years after, with the money going to cancer how mean can you be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

It's ma,mam,or mother.

Not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Funny, I never take change off a taxi driver, if it was 10 something I'd give them 12, regardless of whether they rounded down or not, the only ones I give the exact amount to are ones I know drove intentionally longer routes, generally they lose out by doing that with me. It is something I find atrociously stingy on their part, and kind of stupid, surely at peak times it makes more sense to get someone else into the car asap than to drive me around for an extra two minutes?

They get so little customers that it might be worth their while trying to make the most money out of the customers they do get. Even if that means fecking them over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I went out for this lad for a few months recently. Coming home from a house party one night at 3am, (I'd told him he could stay at mine cos he lived quite far away), I was absolutely knackered, had had a long day at work that day and was in again early in the morning, couldn't wait to just get home to bed. He stops the taxi a good 10/15 minute walk from my house and tells the taxi man we'll walk from there?? I ask him what on earth he's doing and he says why pay an extra few euro when we can walk??? I remind him it's 3 in the morning, I'm bloody knackered. It's freezing out and I'm wearing a little dress with high heels. He tells me I'm being stupid. I remind him the whole idea of getting a taxi home is that it brings you home!! We get back to my place, the fare is €13. I get out my wallet to pay the taxi man and yer man has the check to turn around to me and say "hang on, I'll give you €6"...even the taxi man was laughing at him! Said something like "Good of him, isn't it?!". I told him exactly what he could do with his €6!! Needless to say I didn't stay with him long after a few more ridiculously stingy experiences after that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

It's ma,mam,or mother.
    Don't forget "Mammy".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

My parents on my confirmation day..
    Took me to every single distant relation, friend, neighbour, milkman, postman you name it we visited hand out for the collection. Wad of notes in my arse pocket went home that evening and counted it all up, couple of hundred punt at the time..
    The mother whips it up "I'll keep that safe for you son"
    All i got was a louth jersey and funny enough there was a new three piece suite in the house the following week.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Took me to every single distant relation, friend, neighbour, milkman, postman you name it we visited hand out for the collection. Wad of notes in my arse pocket went home that evening and counted it all up, couple of hundred punt at the time..
    All i got was a louth jersey and funny enough there was a new three piece suite in the house the following week.....

I feel your pain bro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

smokedeels wrote: »
    Tbh, your assumption of a persons race based on them performing such a negative action makes you a racist in my opinion.

I have been overpriced by Nigerian taxi drivers loads of times and i always kick up a fuss, was a stage afew years back when i got taxi's alot.

Also im not assuming race/nationality as i chat with them during the fare being friendly and it always comes up, had one go so far once as to not want to hand me back the 12 euros change from 2 20 euro notes for a 28 euro fare until i got thick as f**k as he said "I dragged him into the middle of nowhere"

I then proceeded to direct him to a dead end when he had the neck to ask for directions out, awful fecker

I'm wearing a little dress with high heels.

pics or gtfo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i visited all my family and friends and got a total sum of 40... without anything taking any of it...

**** my family ( yet i have to give loads to the wealthier members of the family... if i ever opened my mouth; holy murder )

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    I have been overpriced by Nigerian taxi drivers loads of times and i always kick up a fuss,

I'd rather be overpriced than underpriced. Makes you feel more valued ;) :pac:

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    They were being mean but I also think that the parents were probably doing their kids a favour. An unintentional favour, but a favour nevertheless.

That actually did occur to me and I thought well at least the kids hopefully wont suffer the same affliction. It was amazing to see such slim thin kids with such seriously extremely huge parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Remember Mike Wilmont making a similar joke. He'd sit on the couch in his underwear with his gut hanging over the waistband to inspire his kids to work out. One would hold the others feet while they did sit-ups : "Seven, don't look at him..... Eight, don't look at him.... Nine..."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement