Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

psychward wrote: »
    I'm wearing a little dress with high heels.

pics or gtfo ;)

Hahahaha! Nice try!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

When I was living in dublin I got a taxi home from our regular pub every weekend. It was always 7.50-8 euro. One time the driver decided to go another way that was 4 streets east of the direct route. I told him that he was going the wrong way but he insisted that it was quicker. At the end of the journey the clock said 12 Euro!!

I gave him a fiver and told him i discounted 3 euro cos he owed me for the time he wasted :D

I don't know if that makes me stingy too but hopefully he learned his lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

When I was living in dublin I got a taxi home from our regular pub every weekend. It was always 7.50-8 euro. One time the driver decided to go another way that was 4 streets east of the direct route. I told him that he was going the wrong way but he insisted that it was quicker. At the end of the journey the clock said 12 Euro!!

I gave him a fiver and told him i discounted 3 euro cos he owed me for the time he wasted :D

I don't know if that makes me stingy too but hopefully he learned his lesson.

Hate being taken for a ride ;)

I don't have an Irish accent and always make a point of saying I have lived here 12 YEARS so they know they can't try and take the piss.

Always chuck that little fact in ASAP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

a notoriously stingy friend of mine invited all of our friends around for lunch a few weeks ago. nothing fancy, a few sambos or something. When they got there, she said she hadn't gone shopping. (There was NO food in the house, not even BREAD!)
    So a few of the girls went to the local Spar and got bread, ham and cheese, and she never offered to pay for it. When I turned up a half hour late, I had brought cornettos for everyone, and she took them off me and put them in the freezer. I was never offered any food, but was too embarrassed to ask, cause I thought I was rude for being late.
    ANYWAY..... Two hours later and we're all going home, and the Cornettos were never taken out of the freezer!!!

emzolita wrote: »
    a notoriously stingy friend of mine invited all of our friends around for lunch a few weeks ago. nothing fancy, a few sambos or something. When they got there, she said she hadn't gone shopping. (There was NO food in the house, not even BREAD!)
    So a few of the girls went to the local Spar and got bread, ham and cheese, and she never offered to pay for it. When I turned up a half hour late, I had brought cornettos for everyone, and she took them off me and put them in the freezer. I was never offered any food, but was too embarrassed to ask, cause I thought I was rude for being late.
    ANYWAY..... Two hours later and we're all going home, and the Cornettos were never taken out of the freezer!!!

Ouch! :D

Really stingy that one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I went out for this lad for a few months recently. Coming home from a house party one night at 3am, (I'd told him he could stay at mine cos he lived quite far away), I was absolutely knackered, had had a long day at work that day and was in again early in the morning, couldn't wait to just get home to bed. He stops the taxi a good 10/15 minute walk from my house and tells the taxi man we'll walk from there?? I ask him what on earth he's doing and he says why pay an extra few euro when we can walk??? I remind him it's 3 in the morning, I'm bloody knackered. It's freezing out and I'm wearing a little dress with high heels. He tells me I'm being stupid. I remind him the whole idea of getting a taxi home is that it brings you home!! We get back to my place, the fare is €13. I get out my wallet to pay the taxi man and yer man has the check to turn around to me and say "hang on, I'll give you €6"...even the taxi man was laughing at him! Said something like "Good of him, isn't it?!". I told him exactly what he could do with his €6!! Needless to say I didn't stay with him long after a few more ridiculously stingy experiences after that!!
    At least you learned fast.
    Some people actually marry stingey ****s like him :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

About 15 years ago I got my first summer job babysitting the kids of a local business couple (they owned a pub and one of them was a teacher). I had four kids between the ages of 4 and 6 and I used to look after them from 12 until 10. I worked my first week (7 days straight) and couldn't wait to get paid. The stingy feckers gave me £35 which worked out at 50p an hour :eek: They pretty much said that that was all they could afford to pay and I could take it or leave it. Being a dumb kid, I took it. The following year I got a job in a restaurant, where I worked 5 days a week 9-6 and was on £76 per week. I felt like a millionaire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Just got out of a taxi there home from town...

The fare was €15.25

Any taxi man I ever get always justs rounds it off to nearest number which in this case would be €15 and then I would throw in a tip as well,

But he asked for the €15.25 and that just pissed me off, I know things are bad for them but that's ridiculous. So feck him and his tip he got bang on the exact fare off me

Had a similar experience in Liverpool last weekend.

After getting to the airport we got a taxi to our hotel in town. The fare came to £15.10.

I handed the fellow £15 but he insisted that I gave him the 10p.

I stupidly handed him 20p and left the taxi, suppose I should have waited for my change!!

Still had a great weekend tho, but that incident haunts me to this day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It's ma,mam,or mother.

Because you say it is yeh?

I say mom. Who gives a toss?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    It's ma,mam,or mother.
    I say Mum. Bite me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

the word ma is either met with silence or 'i am not a sheep'!

In a petrol station it's not up to the cashier to offer it to me for €20 if I did get €20.25, but in a taxi man situation it's his discretion.

What if he used his discretion to round it up to the nearest whole number instead of rounding down? What if he called you stingy for complaining?

What if he used his discretion to round it up to the nearest whole number instead of rounding down? What if he called you stingy for complaining?
    To be honest, I'd find it stingy to expect the taxi man to round it off to the nearest euro if we weren't expected to tip them. The whole tipping system drives me mad. We have an enforceable minimum wage in this country so even the poorest paid have a set standard of living. I don't see why I should tip my taxi driver/delivery driver/hair shampooer (sic) when I don't tip Penny's/Supermacs/McDonalds's staff who are probably earning the same and taking more abuse from the public.

If I see a service advertised as €14.85, that is what I expect to pay but with a select few services you are supposed to pay that + extra. Does my head in. Tell me from the start what you want to be paid for providing your service and don't add extra's afterwards.

/end rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

In a petrol station it's not up to the cashier to offer it to me for €20 if I did get €20.25, but in a taxi man situation it's his discretion.

When it comes to rounding anything under .50 is rounded down, .50-.99 gets rounded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd find it stingy to expect the taxi man to round it off to the nearest euro if we weren't expected to tip them. The whole tipping system drives me mad. We have an enforceable minimum wage in this country so even the poorest paid have a set standard of living. I don't see why I should tip my taxi driver/delivery driver/hair shampooer (sic) when I don't tip Penny's/Supermacs/McDonalds's staff who are probably earning the same and taking more abuse from the public.

If I see a service advertised as €14.85, that is what I expect to pay but with a select few services you are supposed to pay that + extra. Does my head in. Tell me from the start what you want to be paid for providing your service and don't add extra's afterwards.

/end rant

I get your point but you can't apply that logic to taxi drivers. Many of them would earn a lot less than minimum wage because they might only get one customer in 2 hours. You still shouldn't feel pressured to tip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Over a million people have viewed the thread but only 5 thousand comments, now that's stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Over a million people have viewed the thread but only a thousand comments, now that's stingy.

This is the 4549th comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Made a new chum at the gym recently. She's not short of a few bob, works for a stockbroker, lives in a lovely apt by herself, has a '11 reg car, iPhone 4 etc etc. She invited me over to her place to watch the last season of a TV show that we both love that she has on DVD.

Got there on night one. Brought a bottle of vino and some muchies with me. Got there on night two, and again brought a bottle of plonk and some munchies. It seemed the polite thing to do. Night three was planned at the last minute, and it was too late for me to acquire some plonk, so I show up empty handed. Some sour face on her when she sees that.

So the first hour goes by, and I have not been offered anything to drink, not a glass of wine, not a cup of tea, nothing. Getting thirsty in the second hour, so I ask if its ok to get a glass of water from the kitchen. She says "sure" but makes no attempt to offer up any other less bland suggestions...Coke, juice, tea etc. I ask her if I can get her anything while I am there. "Yeah, she says, there's a bottle of wine in the fridge, can you pour me a glass?" No offer for me to pour one for myself too.

So I sit and drink my water. She sips her wine. I finish mine. She finishes hers. She gets up to get another glass of wine, ignores my empty glass of water & comes back with just one glass of vino for herself.

Stingy cow ! I didn't even want a glass of wine. It was past the time I drink at, but it would have been nice to have been asked. I can't decide if it was her being stingy, or just plain rude to have someone in her home for almost 3 hours and to not once offer them a beverage and/or a bikkie. I mean who the fook does that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

^^
    I'd pour the wine all over her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Made a new chum at the gym recently. She's not short of a few bob, works for a stockbroker, lives in a lovely apt by herself, has a '11 reg car, iPhone 4 etc etc. She invited me over to her place to watch the last season of a TV show that we both love that she has on DVD.

Got there on night one. Brought a bottle of vino and some muchies with me. Got there on night two, and again brought a bottle of plonk and some munchies. It seemed the polite thing to do. Night three was planned at the last minute, and it was too late for me to acquire some plonk, so I show up empty handed. Some sour face on her when she sees that.

So the first hour goes by, and I have not been offered anything to drink, not a glass of wine, not a cup of tea, nothing. Getting thirsty in the second hour, so I ask if its ok to get a glass of water from the kitchen. She says "sure" but makes no attempt to offer up any other less bland suggestions...Coke, juice, tea etc. I ask her if I can get her anything while I am there. "Yeah, she says, there's a bottle of wine in the fridge, can you pour me a glass?" No offer for me to pour one for myself too.

So I sit and drink my water. She sips her wine. I finish mine. She finishes hers. She gets up to get another glass of wine, ignores my empty glass of water & comes back with just one glass of vino for herself.

Stingy cow ! I didn't even want a glass of wine. It was past the time I drink at, but it would have been nice to have been asked. I can't decide if it was her being stingy, or just plain rude to have someone in her home for almost 3 hours and to not once offer them a beverage and/or a bikkie. I mean who the fook does that? :confused:

Probably just pissed you didnt drop the hand

• Advertisement

God, that is so blatant isn't it. Miserable cow.

I lived with a woman once that had was on an incredible 6-figure salary. She once gave out to me for not putting an empty tuna can into the recycable bag. It was purely an honest mistake on my part, but she was giving out about filling up the bin that we had to pay rubbish tags for.

She would also give out if I was cooking something on the hob and had the heat up to maximum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

God, that is so blatant isn't it. Miserable cow.

I lived with a woman once that had was on an incredible 6-figure salary. She once gave out to me for not putting an empty tuna can into the recycable bag. It was purely an honest mistake on my part, but she was giving out about filling up the bin that we had to pay rubbish tags for.

She would also give out if I was cooking something on the hob and had the heat up to maximum :D

Oh Id only have all the hobs up to maximum just to spite her;)
    **** knows what Id be cooking for one though:o

booboo88 wrote: »
    Oh Id only have all the hobs up to maximum just to spite her;)
    **** knows what Id be cooking for one though:o

:D

I know, she would walk in to the kitchen if I wasn't there and turn them all down. If I was there she would look at them and make a big sigh about the cost of electricity.

I dunno, what can you do... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

psychward wrote: »
    Thanks for giving us an insight into the self justifications of the criminal mind ;)

No problem, Glad you found it useful.:)

That's not stingy, that's just plain old being a thief. She more than likely brought her own cleaning bucket and supplies with her. You should feel pretty scummy.

No, No shame whatsoever, That house was attracting trouble from miles around
    and nothing was been done about it, My house on the contrary is a quiet house with some residents who felt intimidated by the trouble next door, My car got covered in smoke and was lucky not be burnt out so I had no qualms about fecking the bucket. :P Its give and take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think you were right there to throw that can into the regular bin & that Stingy Beeotch was wrong. Aren't the things that go into the recycle bin supposed to be clean? An empty tin of tuna is gonna smell, be full of icky tuna oil and bits & pieces of said tuna. That ain't clean. That should go into the regular bin imo.

I am all for saving the planet, but seriously, who here washes out and cleans every single empty can of baked beans, fish, soup etc etc so that they are in a pristine enough state for the recycle bin? Call me crazy, but I know I don't.

Sane Person 1 Stingy Cow 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I hate going to dinner with friends if there is a certain girl there because she always goes and orders the most expensive **** possible, including champagne, because she knows splitting the bill will subsidise her food and drink. She doesn't do this if she knows we won't be splitting the bill.

And to make it worse she is quite well off.

But Christ is she unbelievably thick.

I mean who the fook does that? :confused:

I actually think people like her have some sort of mental disorder, as it is beyond obvious she is in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I am all for saving the planet, but seriously, who here washes out and cleans every single empty can of baked beans, fish, soup etc etc so that they are in a pristine enough state for the recycle bin? Call me crazy, but I know I don't.

I do,:p just because I know people have to go through that stuff to earn their living.
    No harm in making life easier for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I hate going to dinner with friends if there is a certain girl there because she always goes and orders the most expensive **** possible, including champagne, because she knows splitting the bill will subsidise her food and drink. She doesn't do this if she knows we won't be splitting the bill.

And to make it worse she is quite well off.

But Christ is she unbelievably thick.

she's not that thick though is she

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    she's not that thick though is she

No she really is. The thickness in this situation is not understanding we can all see how cheap she is when she pulls stuff like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement