Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Not sure if stingy and cheap are the same thing, but my flatmate cooks a pot of porridge and saves any left over in the fridge and eats it cold the next morning.

Has a good job, so not sure why he chooses to live as if he is on €10/week.

Why would you throw out leftover food, especially if you eat the same thing everyday? :confused:

No she really is. The thickness in this situation is not understanding we can all see how cheap she is when she pulls stuff like this.

You are assuming that she has shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You are assuming that she has shame.

Haha you are right, I would describe her as having no shame!

She's one of those people who has become successful by being more aggressive than everyone else, regardless of how in the wrong she is.

Imagine one of the thick contestants they put on reality shows... she on that level of thickness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

At least you learned fast.
    Some people actually marry stingey ****s like him :confused:

He might have been poor or in debt instead of being stingy. Pressures like that can cause people to behave or think strangely or in an uncoordinated fashion. Provided he likes women more than he likes having a pocket full of small change you can't put it down totally to greed.

Certainly whats quoted below requires a red blooded male to have his sh1t together so epic fail for him :D
    I'm wearing a little dress with high heels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

:D

I know, she would walk in to the kitchen if I wasn't there and turn them all down. If I was there she would look at them and make a big sigh about the cost of electricity.

I dunno, what can you do... :p
    Turn on the heating next, oooh Id have fun with her :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I think you were right there to throw that can into the regular bin & that Stingy Beeotch was wrong. Aren't the things that go into the recycle bin supposed to be clean? An empty tin of tuna is gonna smell, be full of icky tuna oil and bits & pieces of said tuna. That ain't clean. That should go into the regular bin imo.

I am all for saving the planet, but seriously, who here washes out and cleans every single empty can of baked beans, fish, soup etc etc so that they are in a pristine enough state for the recycle bin? Call me crazy, but I know I don't.

Sane Person 1 Stingy Cow 0.

My mam washes them all out, drives me crazy! Not out of stinginess though, she's just obsessed with recycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

booboo88 wrote: »
    Turn on the heating next, oooh Id have fun with her :)

I don't live with her anymore. The one I live with now just as tight.

Regarding the cold porridge, it is the fact a packet of oats costs €2 so he doesn't need to worry about throwing out an extra bit when he cooked a bit too much.

We currently need wastebin bags, but I am refusing to buy them as I always end up buying the household stuff. I think I'll start using the saved Dunnes bags next to see if that moves him to buy some bags.

Failing that, I'll just tell him to buy some, but will see how it goes for a while ;)

As he is probably on three times plus my salary, there is no reason for him to think I will just always buy all the household stuff we need. He is well aware I am struggling but it is like he just thinks 'ah, she always buys that stuff, why should I when I can save a few euro'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

My mam washes them all out, drives me crazy! Not out of stinginess though, she's just obsessed with recycling!

yes, the tuna tin girl washed out all the tins. It wasn't because she wanted to do her bit for recycling. It was because the the tins saved space in the tagged bin bags.

It was one time I did it, and I felt like I was being chastised by my mother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Made a new chum at the gym recently. She's not short of a few bob, works for a stockbroker, lives in a lovely apt by herself, has a '11 reg car, iPhone 4 etc etc. She invited me over to her place to watch the last season of a TV show that we both love that she has on DVD.

Got there on night one. Brought a bottle of vino and some muchies with me. Got there on night two, and again brought a bottle of plonk and some munchies. It seemed the polite thing to do. Night three was planned at the last minute, and it was too late for me to acquire some plonk, so I show up empty handed. Some sour face on her when she sees that.

So the first hour goes by, and I have not been offered anything to drink, not a glass of wine, not a cup of tea, nothing. Getting thirsty in the second hour, so I ask if its ok to get a glass of water from the kitchen. She says "sure" but makes no attempt to offer up any other less bland suggestions...Coke, juice, tea etc. I ask her if I can get her anything while I am there. "Yeah, she says, there's a bottle of wine in the fridge, can you pour me a glass?" No offer for me to pour one for myself too.

So I sit and drink my water. She sips her wine. I finish mine. She finishes hers. She gets up to get another glass of wine, ignores my empty glass of water & comes back with just one glass of vino for herself.

Stingy cow ! I didn't even want a glass of wine. It was past the time I drink at, but it would have been nice to have been asked. I can't decide if it was her being stingy, or just plain rude to have someone in her home for almost 3 hours and to not once offer them a beverage and/or a bikkie. I mean who the fook does that? :confused:

i don't think i coulda held my tongue in that situation. i think i woulda flipped off on her. i mean you were there for ages. it is common courtesy to offer visitors a drink of some description. that plus the fact that the previous two nights she obviously chugged down your wine quite happily. URGH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Im a bit recycling obsessed meself:o

Regarding the cold porridge, it is the fact a packet of oats costs €2 so he doesn't need to worry about throwing out an extra bit when he cooked a bit too much.

We currently need wastebin bags, but I am refusing to buy them as I always end up buying the household stuff. I think I'll start using the saved Dunnes bags next to see if that moves him to buy some bags.

Failing that, I'll just tell him to buy some, but will see how it goes for a while ;)

As he is probably on three times plus my salary, there is no reason for him to think I will just always buy all the household stuff we need. He is well aware I am struggling but it is like he just thinks 'ah, she always buys that stuff, why should I when I can save a few euro'.
    I'd be really sneaky and leave him a post it note if you're out the door for work before him. ;)

• Advertisement

Maybe he is just trying to save on bin space by not throwing leftovers away. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

Become a lesbian to save money on the pill :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Get a seperate bin for yourself. I live with two lads and it used to drive me cracked that it was always me bringing it down. They would throw out far more rubbish than me but wouldn't think to empty it. One day I bought a smaller bin for myself and have been using it ever since. It saved me having to either nag them like a moany cow or do their dirty work for them :D

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Get a seperate bin for yourself. I live with two lads and it used to drive me cracked that it was always me bringing it down. They would throw out far more rubbish than me but wouldn't think to empty it. One day I bought a smaller bin for myself and have been using it ever since. It saved me having to either nag them like a moany cow or do their dirty work for them :D

A few years ago I did almost the same thing with flatmates who never washed their dishes even when those dishes piled up in 2 sinks and along the table top and once even onto the floor and adjoining kitchen table. I kept my own clean dishes in my bedroom. It saved me a lot of grief not only because I was under no obligation to wash anyones dishes but because I didnt have to wash someone elses dirty dishes in order to get a clean plate. They were the laziest of lazy stoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Did you ever notice them putting rubbish in your bin or did you hide it somewhere?!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭eurokev

My friend bought a coffee cup stamp online the exact same as the one they use on the loyalty card in the college canteen. Now instead of getting every sixth coffee free he gets every second one free because he can stamp his own card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

eurokev wrote: »
    My friend bought a coffee cup stamp online the exact same as the one they use on the loyalty card in the college canteen. Now instead of getting every sixth coffee free he gets every second one free because he can stamp his own card.

That's pretty clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

danslevent wrote: »
    Did you ever notice them putting rubbish in your bin or did you hide it somewhere?!
    No. I got a small bin from the €2 shop and keep it in a cupboard that no one uses. I still take the bin down as regularly as I used to but since it's all my own rubbish I don't mind. We all have very different eating habits so I would notice if they put their crap in mine.

One of my flatmates was a bit miffed at first. He was always complaining about how the 3rd flatmate was the biggest culprit for not taking down the rubbish (and he was/is) and he thought that by moaning to me about it, I'd say something, which would make me look like the moany cow and he'd be left off the hook. When I got my own bin it meant that either flatmate 2 had to take down the rubbish all the time, or say something to flatmate 3. He stopped complaining after a couple of weeks because everytime he did, I would say to him "either get your own bin or say it to X". As it's no longer my problem if their bin is overflowing, I don't know if they've worked it out to be fairer between them now.

Flatmate 2 also thought at first that I was still using their bin. He asked me ever so nicely one day if I had been to Supermacs the night before as there was a load of Supermacs takeaway rubbish in the bin. I said no, I never eat in Supermacs (I'm a Charcoal Grill girl) and he hasn't asked me since as he knows that I don't use it. It's been about 2 years since I got my own bin and it works. I don't get the stress of wanting to pour the contents of the bin over their heads so that they will actually see it and they don't have to listen to me whinging about what a lazy bunch of sh!tes they are. We live in an appartment complex so it's not like we even have to buy bags. We simply take it down to the basement, chuck it into a huge dumpster and it's no longer our problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

A notoriously tight mate of mine did something lately that was bad even by his standards.

For another mate's 30th, he invited seven of us lads up to a holiday home owned by his family, for the one night.

Nice of him, of course. However... he charged us €10 each for the cleaning of the sheets, and €5 for the food (which consisted of Aldi pizzas in the evening and a couple of sausages and beans in the morning).

These charges were sprung on us when we got there - not something he gave us warning of, or decided on the basis of the state of the place afterwards. We kept the place neat and tidy, put on and took off all our own bed sheets, and did whatever cleaning up there was to be done the next morning (minimal).

This guy has come to several parties which involved staying over and being fed, and the thought never crossed anyone's mind to "cover costs". When he expected this of us, we were quite taken aback, and as far as I know a couple of the guys were so disgusted with him (in particular those that had provided bed and board before) that they're not really talking to him at the moment.

We had always treated his stinginess in good humour, but this time there was nobody left laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Only one conclusion can be drawn from this thread.

Ireland is full of doormats who let stingy people away with murder, and won't even raise their voices when they are being jerked around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I am all for saving the planet, but seriously, who here washes out and cleans every single empty can of baked beans, fish, soup etc etc so that they are in a pristine enough state for the recycle bin? Call me crazy, but I know I don't.

I do, but I wouldn't spite a person for maing a honest mistake of forgetting as I often do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

eurokev wrote: »

I know a guy that did that. But it was a Butlers stamp card. He used to go around periodically to each of the 6 up in Dublin getting a free coffee (and chocolate). The only problem is was they started to recognise him and got suspicious. Instead he used to get a friend to do it while he hid around the corner.

Ireland is full of doormats who let stingy people away with murder, and won't even raise their voices when they are being jerked around.

For every submissive doormat theres also a miserable stingy sociopath who takes advantage so it's even worse than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ireland is full of doormats who let stingy people away with murder
    , and won't even raise their voices when they are being jerked around.

That's a bit cynical. I just think that the majority of Irish people aren't massively aggressive and don't particularly enjoy conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Become a lesbian to save money on the pill :pac:

lol I had to laugh at this cos I'm (practically) a lesbian but I'm still on the feckin pill for my skin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

lol I had to laugh at this cos I'm (practically) a lesbian but I'm still on the feckin pill for my skin :pac:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

After I use them I just throw the can beside the pots and plates on the draining board ready to wash up. I give them a quick rinse which is no bother as they go last into the sink and just throw them into the recycling bin afterwards.

Easy. ;)

bijapos wrote: »
    After I use them I just throw the can beside the pots and plates on the draining board ready to wash up. I give them a quick rinse which is no bother as they go last into the sink and just throw them into the recycling bin afterwards.

Easy. ;)

Same here. It requires minimum effort plus it means the bins stink less as it's clean(er). I hate holding onto stinky garbage. Now when water charges are introduced that could well become another story but for now it's free to splash them before you trash them. Damn you Greens I won't pay cash to splash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sounds easy enough it you live in a house, and you have 4 separate sets of bins (house hold rubbish, glass, recycle stuff & garden rubbish) outside your front door or in your garden.

I don't. I am in a fairly largish apt complex. I have zero outdoor space. All my trash has to be stored indoors. I have a five minute walk to my bins/skips/glass & plastics recycle bins. Am I willing to do that several times a day? Am I willing to have 4 dedicated separate refuse/recycle areas INSIDE my home, a home that is so small btw that I had to forgo buying rugs for it as I had no where to store a hoover. You be the judge !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

psychward wrote: »
    Same here. It requires minimum effort plus it means the bins stink less as it's clean(er). I hate holding onto stinky garbage. Now when water charges are introduced that could well become another story but for now it's free to splash them before you trash them. Damn you Greens I won't pay cash to splash.

I've just had this horrible image of, when full water charging is introduced, the stingey counting the number of times they used they toilet and only paying for that.

Of course, when washing stuff for recycling, just use the water you used for washing the dishes - no extra water needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement