Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Sounds easy enough it you live in a house, and you have 4 separate sets of bins (house hold rubbish, glass, recycle stuff & garden rubbish) outside your front door or in your garden.

I don't. I am in a fairly largish apt complex. I have zero outdoor space. All my trash has to be stored indoors. I have a five minute walk to my bins/skips/glass & plastics recycle bins. Am I willing to do that several times a day? Am I willing to have 4 dedicated separate refuse/recycle areas INSIDE my home, a home that is so small btw that I had to forgo buying rugs for it as I had no where to store a hoover. You be the judge !
    I'm the same, I have two smallish bins and I seperate recyclables when I get down to the recycling area, It takes pretty much the same amount of effort and space as not recycling, and it's less ikky. I don't really get people who take up half their kitchen space with organised waste, seems kind of OCD. The only difference between houses and flats is you can burn* and compost stuff in a house to save on the bills if you wish.

*I mean legal burning, like paper and card, not illegal household waste burning, which would be very naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

reading the last page or two, i've realised that i'm glad i dont have roommates/flatmates anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Made a new chum at the gym recently. She's not short of a few bob, works for a stockbroker, lives in a lovely apt by herself, has a '11 reg car, iPhone 4 etc etc. She invited me over to her place to watch the last season of a TV show that we both love that she has on DVD.

Got there on night one. Brought a bottle of vino and some muchies with me. Got there on night two, and again brought a bottle of plonk and some munchies. It seemed the polite thing to do. Night three was planned at the last minute, and it was too late for me to acquire some plonk, so I show up empty handed. Some sour face on her when she sees that.

So the first hour goes by, and I have not been offered anything to drink, not a glass of wine, not a cup of tea, nothing. Getting thirsty in the second hour, so I ask if its ok to get a glass of water from the kitchen. She says "sure" but makes no attempt to offer up any other less bland suggestions...Coke, juice, tea etc. I ask her if I can get her anything while I am there. "Yeah, she says, there's a bottle of wine in the fridge, can you pour me a glass?" No offer for me to pour one for myself too.

So I sit and drink my water. She sips her wine. I finish mine. She finishes hers. She gets up to get another glass of wine, ignores my empty glass of water & comes back with just one glass of vino for herself.

Stingy cow ! I didn't even want a glass of wine. It was past the time I drink at, but it would have been nice to have been asked. I can't decide if it was her being stingy, or just plain rude to have someone in her home for almost 3 hours and to not once offer them a beverage and/or a bikkie. I mean who the fook does that? :confused:

God, that is so blatant isn't it. Miserable cow.

I lived with a woman once that had was on an incredible 6-figure salary. She once gave out to me for not putting an empty tuna can into the recycable bag. It was purely an honest mistake on my part, but she was giving out about filling up the bin that we had to pay rubbish tags for.

She would also give out if I was cooking something on the hob and had the heat up to maximum :D
    How come a women on such a high salary was house sharing with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Lash_Alert wrote: »

Some people don't want to live on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Priori wrote: »
    A notoriously tight mate of mine did something lately that was bad even by his standards.

For another mate's 30th, he invited seven of us lads up to a holiday home owned by his family, for the one night.

Nice of him, of course. However... he charged us €10 each for the cleaning of the sheets, and €5 for the food (which consisted of Aldi pizzas in the evening and a couple of sausages and beans in the morning).

These charges were sprung on us when we got there - not something he gave us warning of, or decided on the basis of the state of the place afterwards. We kept the place neat and tidy, put on and took off all our own bed sheets, and did whatever cleaning up there was to be done the next morning (minimal).

This guy has come to several parties which involved staying over and being fed, and the thought never crossed anyone's mind to "cover costs". When he expected this of us, we were quite taken aback, and as far as I know a couple of the guys were so disgusted with him (in particular those that had provided bed and board before) that they're not really talking to him at the moment.

We had always treated his stinginess in good humour, but this time there was nobody left laughing.

I got mad reading this.
    €15 a head for one night?
    Ye shouldve all just laughed at him.
    I love hosting people, had a party only a few weeks ago, spent over €500 on food and drink. But, its well worth it cos everyone can have a good time.
    You dont need friends like that plonk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Priori wrote: »
    A notoriously tight mate of mine did something lately that was bad even by his standards.

For another mate's 30th, he invited seven of us lads up to a holiday home owned by his family, for the one night.

Nice of him, of course. However... he charged us €10 each for the cleaning of the sheets, and €5 for the food (which consisted of Aldi pizzas in the evening and a couple of sausages and beans in the morning).

These charges were sprung on us when we got there - not something he gave us warning of, or decided on the basis of the state of the place afterwards. We kept the place neat and tidy, put on and took off all our own bed sheets, and did whatever cleaning up there was to be done the next morning (minimal).

This guy has come to several parties which involved staying over and being fed, and the thought never crossed anyone's mind to "cover costs". When he expected this of us, we were quite taken aback, and as far as I know a couple of the guys were so disgusted with him (in particular those that had provided bed and board before) that they're not really talking to him at the moment.

We had always treated his stinginess in good humour, but this time there was nobody left laughing.

Id have no problem chipping in for food and drink, but how the fcuk coming up with 10eur for cleaning bed sheets?

I would have told him to jog on that Ill do my own thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Once again, people complaining about how stingy their friends are - but who still pay up when the stingers chance their arm! They ask you for €15 for a night and you pay it??! Jaysus wept.

Here's a helpful phrase for you for next time: "Bugger off, you stingy prick".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Lash_Alert wrote: »

It was her house; I was renting a room off her. She was getting €500/month off me so that is why she rented it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Become a lesbian to save money on the pill :pac:
    That's false economy. You end up spending all the money you save on KD Lang albums :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In Boots over christmas with the brother and cousin.

Brother said he was going to get a cologne but hadn't decided which yet so I asked him if he'd use my Boots card to get the points. He agreed.

A few minutes pass where I'm doing my own shopping.
    I notice my Brother has already gotten his cologne.

"I thought you were going to use my card?"
    "Oh <Cousin> gave me his"

I challenge the cousin by way of banter.

"You got there before me? :rolleyes:"

His reply without a hint of sarcasm.

"I remember three years ago, you asked me to use your card because I forgot my own, just getting the points back"

Speechless. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

When I was in college I shared a house with one of the meanest fookers I have ever shared with in my life. Rather than buy the cheapest toilet roll you could buy he would frequently walk into McDonalds or Burgerking with absolutely no shame and help himself to the napkins.

..and I thought taking the huge toilet rolls from the college jacks was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kolido wrote: »
    ..and I thought taking the huge toilet rolls from the college jacks was bad
    It is. I used to work in a building in UCD. I learned very quickly that you had to use the toilet first thing in the morning if you needed to go, otherwise the toilet roll dispensers would be opened and empty by lunchtime.

Bloody students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Just remembered one from years ago, possibly the stingiest thing I've ever experienced.

Was about 14 or 15 and my friend's mother said that ourselves and a few friends could use their mobile home in Wexford for the weekend to have a little holiday. The mobile home wasn't being used so we could have the run of it if we liked. Of course we were delighted, had never been away without parents before, so we said yes. I remember thinking what a generous and kind gesture this was.

My father offered to drive us down but the same woman (owner of the mobile home) would have none of it, saying she would drop us off and pick us up the next week. Again, how kind!

So the big day comes, we're all giddy and excited and the 5 of us pile into the mother's car. She stops halfway to Wexford to fill the car full of petrol, and when she gets back into the car she literally FLINGS the petrol receipt into the four of us sitting in the back and says "You can split that between ye and pay me back". She then added "And don't forget 50 quid each extra for the mobile home". FFS!! We were all teenagers, all broke and thinking she was bringing us on holiday out of the goodness of her heart. Turns out she was a thundering bitch.

I refused to pay for petrol on the grounds that my Dad had offered us a lift - FREE OF CHARGE - she wasn't amused. I was so mortified for my friend whose mother this is; she looked ready to die of embarrassment. Really put a dampner on what could have been a really fun weekend away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Just remembered one from years ago, possibly the stingiest thing I've ever experienced.

Was about 14 or 15 and my friend's mother said that ourselves and a few friends could use their mobile home in Wexford for the weekend to have a little holiday. The mobile home wasn't being used so we could have the run of it if we liked. Of course we were delighted, had never been away without parents before, so we said yes. I remember thinking what a generous and kind gesture this was.

My father offered to drive us down but the same woman (owner of the mobile home) would have none of it, saying she would drop us off and pick us up the next week. Again, how kind!

So the big day comes, we're all giddy and excited and the 5 of us pile into the mother's car. She stops halfway to Wexford to fill the car full of petrol, and when she gets back into the car she literally FLINGS the petrol receipt into the four of us sitting in the back and says "You can split that between ye and pay me back". She then added "And don't forget 50 quid each extra for the mobile home". FFS!! We were all teenagers, all broke and thinking she was bringing us on holiday out of the goodness of her heart. Turns out she was a thundering bitch.

I refused to pay for petrol on the grounds that my Dad had offered us a lift - FREE OF CHARGE - she wasn't amused. I was so mortified for my friend whose mother this is; she looked ready to die of embarrassment. Really put a dampner on what could have been a really fun weekend away.

Wow! Your poor friend. She must have felt absolutely horrendous and put an even worse dampner on the whole thing for her :(

To expect you to pay when it was not mentioned up front is appalling. I seriously cannot believe she would do that to a bunch of teenagers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

There was a fishing tragedy this year in my home village where a large number of volunteers, coast guards, Gardaí, Navy and professional divers and grieving friends and relatives assembled on the large pier everyday.

The local community were fantastic and assembled a number of tents in which they made sandwiches, cakes, buns, soup and tea. Last time I was home, I was told that there were a number of people driving 20-30 km with a full car of kids simply to take advantage of the free food on offer. One individual ate so much he was seen getting sick, then sleeping in his car for a few hours and then going back up for his 2nd helping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There was a fishing tragedy this year in my home village where a large number of volunteers, coast guards, Gardaí, Navy and professional divers and grieving friends and relatives assembled on the large pier everyday.

The local community were fantastic and assembled a number of tents in which they made sandwiches, cakes, buns, soup and tea. Last time I was home, I was told that there were a number of people driving 20-30 km with a full car of kids simply to take advantage of the free food on offer. One individual ate so much he was seen getting sick, then sleeping in his car for a few hours and then going back up for his 2nd helping.
    That's disgusting :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

It's like those people scour the death notices and gatecrash the afters for the free sandwiches and cocktail sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That's disgusting :mad:

or bullshít

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I love hosting people, had a party only a few weeks ago, spent over €500 on food and drink.
    Can I be your friend?

An féidir liom a bheith i do chara, Radharc na Sléibhte? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

foxyboxer wrote: »
    It's like those people scour the death notices and gatecrash the afters for the free sandwiches and cocktail sausages.

Cheasus! Does that really happen?
    Is it not an urban myth!

• Advertisement

Here's my contribution..
    A few months ago, I was having lunch in a hotel restaurant- nothing fancy, a 3* hotel.
    A family were at the next table to me- a daughter, her partner/hubby,four kiddies and grandma.
    I'm guilty of people watching (or being nosey!) so I was fascinated to what happened..
    Turns out it was grandma's birthday and this was a treat to take her out for lunch.
    When the waiter came out, the daughter stared cribbing about the lunch prices. She was sussing out if they could get half portions.
    In the end she politely asked granny if she would mind sharing her lunch with a grandchild as neither of them 'had big appetites', hence one portion between two of them.
    Happy birthday grandma!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

L0ui5e wrote: »
    Here's my contribution..
    A few months ago, I was having lunch in a hotel restaurant- nothing fancy, a 3* hotel.
    A family were at the next table to me- a daughter, her partner/hubby,four kiddies and grandma.
    I'm guilty of people watching (or being nosey!) so I was fascinated to what happened..
    Turns out it was grandma's birthday and this was a treat to take her out for lunch.
    When the waiter came out, the daughter stared cribbing about the lunch prices. She was sussing out if they could get half portions.
    In the end she politely asked granny if she would mind sharing her lunch with a grandchild as neither of them 'had big appetites', hence one portion between two of them.
    Happy birthday grandma!!

Some people are unbelievable like that. The woman raised you for 18 years, the least you could do is buy her a birthday dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Here's my contribution..
    Happy birthday grandma!!
    I could just imagine saying that to my ma. I'd be getting fed through a tube for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

Here's my contribution..
    Happy birthday grandma!!

This makes me sad. Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

This and the Facebook thread are two of my favourites :D

One of my roommates never buys milk even though she has cereal everyday. I think she thinks we don't notice that she never has a carton of milk in the fridge, it's weird as milk costs 79c a litre in the shop that is viewable from our apartment! I have seen her skulking around the kitchen waiting for everyone to leave so she can rush in and use our milk once we're gone, she even eats her breakfast in her room so we won't notice that she is using our milk.

To deter her from using I have drank straight out of my carton in front of her, even coughed into in once, but to no avail!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

danslevent wrote: »

One of my roommates never buys milk even though she has cereal everyday. I think she thinks we don't notice that she never has a carton of milk in the fridge, it's weird as milk costs 79c a litre in the shop that is viewable from our apartment! I have seen her skulking around the kitchen waiting for everyone to leave so she can rush in and use our milk once we're gone, she even eats her breakfast in her room so we won't notice that she is using our milk.

To deter her from using I have drank straight out of my carton in front of her, even coughed into in once, but to no avail!

What you want to do is pee into it or wipe all the breakfast bowls with lemon juice or vinegar so the milk curdles on the cereal. :pac:

Would you do the thing that gentlemen never dream of doing?
    Take a long swig from the carton in front of her and before the carton has left your lips, let out a humongous belch (for effect you could be simultaneously scratching south of your belt buckle) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Place slips of paper under the cartons with crude insults, vicious slanders or embarrassing photos and wait for her to call you on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

A lot of Friends have recently turned 21 .. which mean a lot of 21st parties etc....

We all trow money in a card for the persons birthday it is.. usually about €10 or €20 depending on how close we are to the person...

One friend of mine (who is in full time employment) NEVER contributes any money but always manages to get her name on the card...

one time she said "pass it her so I can sign" so I built up the courage and said "but you haven't put any money in it, so would should you get to sign it?" she replied " ahh I'm really broke this week, will you trow in a €20 for me and I'll pay you back next week"

Knowing right well she would never pay me back , I just gave her a look.....

If this was me I would be extremely embarrassed especially as most of the people who where turning 21 we're close childhood friends, knowing them for so long the least you could trow is a €10 to a card.

People who are that stingy really have no concisions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Start buying those tiny catons and make sure there's never any left in the fridge. Or UHT milk, and keep ot in your bedroom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement