Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

that doesn't sound fair, the $15.75 should be split 4 ways, Mary has already given $10 so she should get change of $6.06 adjusted upwards for inflation, so get the $10 back and call it quits[/Quote]

Just to clarify the $15.75 she worked out was per person. The trip was going to cost $63...but maybe I should introduce you to "Mary"... I think ye would have a lot in common!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

dclane wrote: »
    We have free fruit in work one individual I know is first up to the kitchen when the fruit arrives and takes 2 apples, 3 bananas, 2 oranges and grapes EACH DAY! He doesn't go out for lunch with any of us.

Also same guy does not put any money into the birthday or leaving cards. I think on one occasion he put 50 cent in change into one card which included coppers because he liked the girl that was leaving.

Same guy makes sure he out of the taxi first on the way home.

Before being made redundant the company I worked for did that fruit thing on a trial basis. For the exact reason you detailed there the scheme didn't go ahead. Literally one person (in a management position) ruined it for the other 80 people working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Is it stingy to ask your friend to hang onto your forgotten, half full 70cl bottle of captain morgan's that you accidentally left at their gaff after a party?

ish... depends on the circumstances of those in question... if it's a pack of students, i think it's expected

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jenndudess79

The worst case of stingy I saw :

In Lidl, A 40 somthing year old bloke, complaing about a 2cent hike in price of a 79cent bottle of soft drink. Then paying with a 50 euro note, and THEN, WALKING PAST a charity worker selling 1euro heart badges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

ck83 wrote: »
    ish... depends on the circumstances of those in question... if it's a pack of students, i think it's expected

We are all undergrad students. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Is it stingy to ask your friend to hang onto your forgotten, half full 70cl bottle of captain morgan's that you accidentally left at their gaff after a party?

Not at all! Drink is expensive and you said half full, it would be stingy if there was only about a shot left.

And how was it forgotten if they remembered to ask you to hang onto it?!

You seem like the stingy one here, trying to swindle drink out of your friends :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

danslevent wrote: »
    Not at all! Drink is expensive and you said half full, it would be stingy if there was only about a shot left.

And how was it forgotten if they remembered to ask you to hang onto it?!

You seem like the stingy one here, trying to swindle drink out of your friends :P :pac:

I'm the one who forgot the drink! Haha sorry, should have pointed that out :p

Mentioned it earlier to someone else who was there you see, and she said "I wouldn't have asked for it back" I don't know if she was trying to suggest I'm being stingy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The worst case of stingy I saw :

In Lidl, A 40 somthing year old bloke, complaing about a 2cent hike in price of a 79cent bottle of soft drink. Then paying with a 50 euro note, and THEN, WALKING PAST a charity worker selling 1euro heart badges

not giving to charity isn't stingy, it a personal choice

but the 2cent... yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Mentioned it earlier to someone else who was there you see, and she said "I wouldn't have asked for it back" I don't know if she was trying to suggest I'm being stingy :confused:

I say your friend is a bit socially awkward! At parties at ours people forget their drink the whole time and are too awkward to ask for it back...it's great! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Continent Simian

sweetie wrote: »
    my dad tells a story from when he was younger and he was drinking with some friends and one of them was teetotal. When it came to his round he bought 4 fizzy oranges for them.

Fair enough. :)

Teetotalers should get to drink for free & then politely insist on buying one round. Expecting someone to buy you an alcoholic drink, when you've only bought them a soft drink is stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

danslevent wrote: »

I say your friend is a bit socially awkward! At parties at ours people forget their drink the whole time and are too awkward to ask for it back...it's great! :P
    It's not stingy. If you're students, I would be weird not to look for it back! The other girl must have some trust fund or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

I believe if you bring drink to a session and don't finish drinking it there and leave without it, then it's no longer yours!.

So, i think you're question should be. "it stingy to ask your friend to hang onto their, half full 70cl bottle of captain morgan's that you accidentally left at their gaff after a party?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

I work in a garage and you get people who have 1 or 2 cents change. Most of them say put it into the poor box which I do but you get the odd person who will get the 1 cent and put it back into their purse. I noticed its mostly women that do it. The men might take it off me and put it into the box themselves. There is 1 woman in particular who drives a vw toureg and she always puts the 1 cent into her purse. Maybe thats why she is driving that vehicle :confused:.

Just to add il never leave someone short their 1 cent change and keep it in the till but my oc-worker does it and it bugs the sh!t out of me :mad:. your change is your change no matter how small :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

She was. You are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but that is not scabby whatsoever. Can't remember if I said this already but I have a friend, generally an extremely nice lad but sometimes he goes around stealing people's drinks. I asked him about it and he said that he would never steal a drink that someone was going to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I work in a garage and you get people who have 1 or 2 cents change. Most of them say put it into the poor box which I do but you get the odd person who will get the 1 cent and put it back into their purse. I noticed its mostly women that do it. The men might take it off me and put it into the box themselves. There is 1 woman in particular who drives a vw toureg and she always puts the 1 cent into her purse. Maybe thats why she is driving that vehicle :confused:.

Just to add il never leave someone short their 1 cent change and keep it in the till but my oc-worker does it and it bugs the sh!t out of me :mad:. your change is your change no matter how small :).

Not giving to charity is not stingy.
    When you research a charity, you soon find out that your lucky if 20% goes to helping people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Nabber wrote: »
    When you research a charity, you soon find out that your lucky if 20% goes to helping people.

I'd love to see some of this research.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our local shop has those boxes and they are for 'the missions' for some Catholic charity. I don't give to Catholic charities, the Vatican has enough money to be helping people. Wouldn't give a cent towards those causes, I have my own charities I donate on a regular basis to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Speaking of drink at a party, Once went to a party with a fair amount of drink, didnt drink it all so was bringing it home which included a few nagin of vodka, unopened, two large bottles of west coast.
    Following morning I have to go home to my own bed as I didnt want owner of bed to walk in and find me there:o

Cue me down stairs and one of the lads, whos on his own, sitting there with the laptop palying the "tunes".... then proceeds to ask me for the drink, all of it.
    I was dumbfounded, and you get the usual bull****, oh yea Ill buy you more.

What bugs me more if he knew full well we were drinking in the house, and turned up with nothing, off licence only down the road:rolleyes:

I understand that but 1 cent !! I mean come on you have to be tight not to put 1 cent into the charity box. I know not all of the money goes to the charity beneficaries but to admin, wages etc but at least they get something and I doubt its as low as 20%. You can't tell me taking 1 cent back and putting it in your purse is not stingy. If you don't give then your not helping at all, and you never know you might need that charity some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

if shops are gonna price things at 0.99, 1.29, 1.99 etc, they sure as hell can be expected to have people waiting for their one cent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Internet forums are pretty stingey, a popular one will make a lot of money from advertising but needs to have volunteer moderators. Its a for profit entity that uses free labour, genius if you ask me but a bit stingey when you think about it!

retalivity wrote: »
    if shops are gonna price things at 0.99, 1.29, 1.99 etc, they sure as hell can be expected to have people waiting for their one cent

I agree, like I said your change is your change and you can choose do do whatever you want with it. They can stick it onto their forehead if they want. The whole thing with the 1 cent pricing is that 0.99 is cheaper and sounds cheaper than 1 euro. 1.99 sounds and is cheaper than 2 euro etc. Its all about your mind saying or thats a good price even if it is only 1 cent. My point was 1 cent is not going to make 1 person rich unless they take back all the 1 cent change's from when they are 8 years of age and still doing it when they are 90 and even by todays standards they wouldn't be rich so why not help someone with it? 1 cent wouldn't even get you 1 jelly these days. but you give in a jar full of 1 cents and it will feed someone for a week even a month maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

That's tough sh*t there! If you leave drink behind, it gets drank. That's the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Any drink that gets left behind belongs to the house.Thems the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I remember the parents getting those envelopes in the door from 'The Parish', and the local parasites resending them periodically even when they were constantly returned empty. Massive cathedrals with marble and gold decor and untold amounts of land, and they still have the balls to ask for money from people who could barely pay the electricity bill most months. I'd never give them a cent if I live to be a billionaire. I'd sooner burn the money than give it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Internet forums are pretty stingey, a popular one will make a lot of money from advertising but needs to have volunteer moderators. Its a for profit entity that uses free labour, genius if you ask me but a bit stingey when you think about it!
    You are mistaken if you think anybody is getting rich from boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I agree, like I said your change is your change and you can choose do do whatever you want with it. They can stick it onto their forehead if they want. The whole thing with the 1 cent pricing is that 0.99 is cheaper and sounds cheaper than 1 euro. 1.99 sounds and is cheaper than 2 euro etc. Its all about your mind saying or thats a good price even if it is only 1 cent. My point was 1 cent is not going to make 1 person rich unless they take back all the 1 cent change's from when they are 8 years of age and still doing it when they are 90 and even by todays standards they wouldn't be rich so why not help someone with it? 1 cent wouldn't even get you 1 jelly these days. but you give in a jar full of 1 cents and it will feed someone for a week even a month maybe.
    Your wrong about that. Stuff is priced as €x.99 because very few people would have that in change so the teller has to open the cash drawer to give change. It cuts down on staff just pretending to ring up an item and pocketing the cash. (or so i was told the first day i started working in a Dunnes Stores years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

ken wrote: »
    Your wrong about that. Stuff is priced as €x.99 because very few people would have that in change so the teller has to open the cash drawer to give change. It cuts down on staff just pretending to ring up an item and pocketing the cash. (or so i was told the first day i started working in a Dunnes Stores years ago).
    A hilarious lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

ken wrote: »

So just bring a ball of pennies with you to work!

Obviously it's a marketing strategy.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement