Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

towel401 wrote: »
    i did that once but to fill a motorised bicycle with a 25cc engine. it used 1:100 2-stroke oil so i got some from the 1:50 pump and some from an unleaded pump. got at least a mile out of the few drops

but its alright since the petrol station was closed

Fair play to ya..

This happened on a busy saturday afternoon and everyone was laughing at yer man..

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

blackbox wrote: »
    It sounds like she thought you were the stingy one - Maybe if you'd offered to pay for your share of the gas????

I did pay but stayed in the house at weekends because i didnt go home ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

We have a machine in work that dispenses boiling water for tea etc.
    This bloke who used to work here would fill a flask up with the hot water before going home.
    He also used to buy the Times every morning,read it and sell it to the guy beside him for half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Heard of a distant relative that used to send National Lottery scratch cards as presents.

She was so terrified of giving away a winner though, that she'd scratch them before putting them in the post!

A former friend of mine drove from finglas to glasnevin and back again to his mother's house to collect a microwavable hot-dog that was nearly out of date and she was going to throw it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Thats not stingy..thats extremely bad form and borderline fraud..:mad:

Whay does Fraud have to do with it? The fact that you brought him up obviously means you want to have sex with your mother.

Also there are alot of posts here that are not stingy at all. Collecting coupons and stuff is just being a bit thrifty and smart. I used to live next to a chipper and I would go in and order a burger and usually ask if they could throw a few chips in the bag. Generally they would if they had them lying out but I never expected them to put on a fresh batch or anything. But smoking used fags off the ground is just downright wrong.
    And it was mentioned here a few times about rich being being rich because they are stingy. What is the point in having money if you dont spend it? It makes no sense in having 100k in the bank, yet using 1 tea bag for a week. Being stingy does seem to be a disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Kernel wrote: »
    Seen a guy pick a 50p coin outta the urinal trough in the local. No gloves or anything, right down amongst the yellow cakes.... Legend. :)

Some people don't realise that coins are put into men's urinals for a reason, it's for the guys to "aim" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Whay does Fraud have to do with it? The fact that you brought him up obviously means you want to have sex with your mother.

Also there are alot of posts here that are not stingy at all. Collecting coupons and stuff is just being a bit thrifty and smart. I used to live next to a chipper and I would go in and order a burger and usually ask if they could throw a few chips in the bag. Generally they would if they had them lying out but I never expected them to put on a fresh batch or anything. But smoking used fags off the ground is just downright wrong.
    And it was mentioned here a few times about rich being being rich because they are stingy. What is the point in having money if you dont spend it? It makes no sense in having 100k in the bank, yet using 1 tea bag for a week. Being stingy does seem to be a disease.

You are having a laugh right....:eek:

Fraud..Freud..????

What is the point in having money if you dont spend it? It makes no sense in having 100k in the bank, yet using 1 tea bag for a week. Being stingy does seem to be a disease.

True.
    An old fella i used to work with got over 3million for a property,had a mortage-free house,owned a farm in kerry and spent 100 euro a month.
    He also used to bring a packet of marietta biscuits into work with him on monday and that'd do his three breaks a day untill friday.
    He used to be a tailor and wore the same suit (that he made himself) for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

That's going in my Sig :pac:

• Advertisement

You are having a laugh right....:eek:

Fraud..Freud..????

No I am not having a luagh. I am always serius biznizz :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

No I am not having a luagh. I am always serius biznizz :mad:
    Did little Turd get his wordsies mixed up... awww how cute!!

Did little Turd get his wordsies mixed up... awww how cute!!

I didnt mix anything, I meant to do that. And I'm not little, I'm just small boned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Dougalinho23

My neighbour pours milk into her breakfast and then when she´s finished she pours the milk into another bowl to make her son breakfast

She also uses the same teabag for two cups of tea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

A cousin of mine puts the left over gravy into icecube trays and freezes it for the next day! ..................Rich lady, I wonder why?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

She also uses the same teabag for two cups of tea!!!

Do you mean she'll save the teabag to use again later?
    Or do you mean if she's making tea for 2 people, she'll use the same teabag?

First one's a little bit stingy but I wouldn't knock anyone for it. The second one just makes sense. Most people don't like their tea strong enough to "use up" a whole teabag. I do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Berty wrote: »
    My old local in Limerick was soooo tight they used to watch the match on TG4 and listen to it on the radio with the sound on the TV off.

The TV was in Irish and the radio was in English. They would not spend the money for Setanta or Sky.

Miserable gits!! :mad:
    A lot of people I know regularly do that even with RTE game because the commentry on the radio is much better than the commentry on the telly. So watching it on the telly with the radio commentry is the best of both worlds.

Nothing to do with stinginess at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A cousin of mine puts the left over gravy into icecube trays and freezes it for the next day! ..................Rich lady, I wonder why?!

Left over from the plates, or just not used at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Heard of a distant relative that used to send National Lottery scratch cards as presents.

She was so terrified of giving away a winner though, that she'd scratch them before putting them in the post!

Thats bull****..i dont bellieve a word of that..sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I know someone who brings in digestive biscuits to work knowing that no one will eat them.

Thats ME!!! hahahaa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

javaboy wrote: »
    Do you mean she'll save the teabag to use again later?
    Or do you mean if she's making tea for 2 people, she'll use the same teabag?

First one's a little bit stingy but I wouldn't knock anyone for it. The second one just makes sense. Most people don't like their tea strong enough to "use up" a whole teabag. I do it.

I'd kick someone if they did that to me. Nothing worse than tea so weak it's leaning against the side of the cup. Especially seeing as most people use those puny green label bags anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

Originally Posted by Kernel Seen a guy pick a 50p coin outta the urinal trough in the local. No gloves or anything, right down amongst the yellow cakes.... Legend.
    I know a guy who did this, except it was 5c and he came out boasting about it. He's a multi millionaire, owns a pile of property etc. He's not really stingy... if we ever have after hours (shhhh!) in the pub he'd be the first to buy a drink for everyone. I think he does it to make people see him as the "salt of the earth" even though he's loaded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

BnA wrote: »
    A lot of people I know regularly do that even with RTE game because the commentry on the radio is much better than the commentry on the telly. So watching it on the telly with the radio commentry is the best of both worlds.

Nothing to do with stinginess at all.

What? I don't believe that. How could anyone think that guy on the radio is better?? You can't even understand him.

Stingy story: My housemate keep every food that doesn't absolutely have to be in the fridge in her room, just in case anyone dare eat anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I'd kick someone if they did that to me. Nothing worse than tea so weak it's leaning against the side of the cup. Especially seeing as most people use those puny green label bags anyway...
    I have a friend who does that .She will ask do you want a cup of tea ? ( not in a mrs doyle type way ) and proceed to hand you a cup of hot milky water that has had the bones of a cheap tea bag dipped in it and my hints of ' strong please ' fall on deaf ears ,so this goes on and on and on whenever I vist .She wont budge making it strong or take the hint and I refuse to drink so there .:(

Nice girl otherwise . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Honey-ec wrote: »

I'm not sure exactly what teabags we have in the house, but I can make at least two very strong cups from just one tea bag easily.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I was working at a music concert last year.

some drunk guy buys a snack box (chips and chicken), he then proceeds to fall asleep at the end of the counter (the beer got the better of him).

Anyway, he is dripping and being sick in to the chicken box. some guy who takes the chicken box and starts eating it, shaking the sick off it first

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Thats bull****..i dont bellieve a word of that..sorry

Funnily enough they were from Cork too - it's not you is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was working at a music concert last year.

some drunk guy buys a snack box (chips and chicken), he then proceeds to fall asleep at the end of the counter (the beer got the better of him).

Anyway, he is dripping and being sick in to the chicken box. some guy who takes the chicken box and starts eating it, shaking the sick off it first

I hope to god that this isn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Some great stories here lads keep it up :D

My story is from about 2 years ago I think it was christmas 06 and my mam was talking to my aunt and she asked what I would like as always. I said the latest Football manager (Would have been Football Manager 07) anyway christmas day comes and she hands me the presnt and I open it enthusiastically as I was dieing for this game. Low and behold I look at it and its Championship Manager 00/01 :( The dissapointment on my face was un real. Awesome game but wow way to break a kids spirit :D

Another is and uncle of mine who is a hackney driver and he got a call of my grandmother (AKA His mam) to collect her from town as she wasn't feeling the best and had shopping bags. He went in anyway and dropped her to the house then said "That's €18" She laughed of course thinking he was messin but he wasn't and she said "Are you serious?" He said "Yeah I gave you a discount rate for family". She actually ended up paying him. Don't think the family have spoke to him since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    MI said the latest Football manager (Would have been Football Manager 07) anyway christmas day comes and she hands me the presnt and I open it enthusiastically as I was dieing for this game. Low and behold I look at it and its Championship Manager 00/01 :(

Who is the stingy one - you really expected a €60 computer game from a relative - she probably had loads of relatives to buy for, her only mistake was asking you what you wanted.

I was asked this year what I wanted, of course I said a Cartier watch - ****ing arshole got me a sieko from the argos... :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement