Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

javaboy wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what teabags we have in the house, but I can make at least two very strong cups from just one tea bag easily.

same here.
    Of all the things to complain about, re-using a teabag once is not one of them.

My mother uses 2 teabags for every single cup and it absolutely drives me up the wall :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

charly45 wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !So ****ing wrong on so many levels !

No. I'm not letting you away with that.

"on so many levels".

if you can elaborate on more than one level in which thats wrong, then I'll allow you to use that saying.

Yes, I said I'll allow you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Who is the stingy one - you really expected a €60 computer game from a relative - she probably had loads of relatives to buy for, her only mistake was asking you what you wanted.

I was asked this year what I wanted, of course I said a Cartier watch - ****ing arshole got me a sieko from the argos... :rolleyes:

Eh.. Yeah I did. I asked my parents for it and they said she was getting it instead. From a close relative and my godmother I thought a €40 game would have been ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Check out Channel 4 at 7.35pm, The Hunt For Britain's Tightest, about "what happens when money-saving spirals into madness"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I read about a Mayo woman who took 41,000 euro Independant TD's allowance despite being a member of a main Political Party............:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

In secondary school for Technical Graphics class we used masking tape to tape worksheets to the table. If you forgot your tape you just asked a nearby person for some of their roll. One guy was stingy out though. He would have a full roll of tape but if you asked him for some he would not give you any from his roll. Instead he'd give you the tape he used last week which he'd put underneath his workbench.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

There's a petrol station near where I live. Just say you decide to fill your tank up with €20 worth of petrol and you hold the lever down slightly longer than you should and it adds up to €20.01. This guy would charge you the 1cent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I have absolutely no problem with anyone saying they're not getting into a round cause they can't afford it - that's not stingy, it's just common sense. It's the fockers who'll happily sit in on 6 or 7 rounds and then when it gets to them explain how broke they are...

H has been awfully close to his cousin all his life Cousin has been going out with this bint for about 4 years. Anyway, about 2 years ago we invited them (and their 2 year old son) down to ours for dinner. Neither of them drive, so I drove to Dublin to collect them. On the way back home, I was running short on petrol but hadn't brought my wallet with me. The girlfriend gives me a tenner. We get to our house. Neither of them has brought so much as a bottle of wine. No worries, we have loads in the house. It was actually really early in the day, so they have lunch AND dinner in our house, both with wine. At about 10pm the girlfriend says she's a bit sick of wine, do I have any vodka, so I give her that. The next morning, I cook breakfast, and H's cousin has to be in work early, so H drives him all the way back to Dublin (we live in Carlow), while the girlfriend hangs around our house and ends up staying for lunch again. I drop her back to Dublin that afternoon. So, after two days, an overnight, 4 meals, all their drink and transport to and from their door, what are her last words to me as she's getting out of the car???

"Do you have that tenner I gave you yesterday?"

Oh my good f$$$ing God! I would just want to smack her around!:eek::confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

My friends dad once charged us a fiver each for volunteering to give us a lift home from oranmore on new years eve a few years back. He hasnt lived it down since

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

There's a petrol station near where I live. Just say you decide to fill your tank up with 20 worth of petrol and you hold the lever down slightly longer than you should and it adds up to 20.01. This guy would charge you the 1cent!

Meh. He's entitled to charge you for it. Imo it's stingy to expect to get one cent of petrol for free. ;)

• Advertisement

Meh. He's entitled to charge you for it. Imo it's stingy to expect to get one cent of petrol for free. ;)
    I've noticed that people have no problem with a large retail outlet splitting a 20 euro note for a cent, but become very agitated when the small local shop does the same.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Girl I know in work bought the team a box of Roses one Friday.

"That''s nice" you'd think, until you noticed that she'd taken all the nice ones out for herself and shared them between herself and the manager! I swear to God, all the barrels and purple ones with the nuts in them......gone!

Sleipnir wrote: »

"That''s nice" you'd think, until you noticed that she'd taken all the nice ones out for herself and shared them between herself and the manager! I swear to God, all the barrels and purple ones with the nuts in them......gone!

:eek::eek::eek: What a Thundering bitch:mad::mad:
    That's just ruined my weekend.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sleipnir wrote: »

I nick all the strawberry ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

eoin wrote: »
    Left over from the plates, or just not used at all?
    Both!! ew

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

A girl I know went to a debs with a guy she'd gone to primary school with. He came with the usual rose for her and box of chocs for the mam - when this girl said in passing that her mam was on a diet, he asked if he could have the chocs back. Worst thing was, she said yes just for funsies and he actually took them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

There's a petrol station near where I live. Just say you decide to fill your tank up with €20 worth of petrol and you hold the lever down slightly longer than you should and it adds up to €20.01. This guy would charge you the 1cent!

i work in a petrol station and I never take the 1, 2 or 3 cent :)

but some guy last week got 10.05 and handed me a fifty and i asked him for a five cent and he was like i dont got one and i was like okee and gave him back 39.95, apparently it was the first time it ever happened to him and he was never coming back again but up his cause if you're paying for 10 euro petrol with a fifty i think u can afford 5 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Degsy wrote: »
    A former friend of mine drove from finglas to glasnevin and back again to his mother's house to collect a microwavable hot-dog that was nearly out of date and she was going to throw it out.

Thanks, now I have a pain in my stomach from laughing so much!
    I can just picture him driving over there in a panic, kinda like Homer Simpson rushing to collect the free trampoline. Some seriously funny stories on this thread.

I know of a fella, a middle-aged bachelor, who must be the stingiest man in Ireland. He has a few properties around Dublin, yet he wouldn't spend money on anything. For example, he thinks it's too expensive to turn on the central heating, so he opens up the door of the oven to warm up the kitchen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Albert000

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I nick all the strawberry ones :D
    yummmmm..there the only nice ones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

For example, he thinks it's too expensive to turn on the central heating, so he opens up the door of the oven to warm up the kitchen!
    To be honest, I've started doing that. It works surprisingly well when the heating just isn't doing it, or you've been too lazy to turn it on earlier. And otherwise (especially with my oven that has a fan to cool itself down - wtf like) its just a waste of heat!

edit: christ, how i made so many typos in one post I don't know.

• Advertisement

That was just one example of many. He also buys his own clothes and furniture from a charity shop, even though he's probably a millionaire!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The inaccuracies in the pump would mean that the actual amount of petrol you get could be 5c worth either way. Thats why I always put in 2c extra and I refuse to pay for it. Maybe I'm the stingey one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

The inaccuracies in the pump would mean that the actual amount of petrol you get could be 5c worth either way. Thats why I always put in 2c extra and I refuse to pay for it. Maybe I'm the stingey one

No, you're just a thief. Be warned I have contacted the local authorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

how many people use the pump a day?add up all those 1 cents,multiply it by 365 and thats approx how much money they lose by not charging for the one cents
    galwayrush wrote: »
    I've noticed that people have no problem with a large retail outlet splitting a 20 euro note for a cent, but become very agitated when the small local shop does the same.:rolleyes:

people wont haggle in tescoes or hmv but yet come into a small business and argue like f--k and get abusive when asked for the price of the goods they have brought to the counter.

the price of the goods are clearly marked and we have put up a huge sign saying no discounts/no credit and still they put on this little smirk when you ask them for the money to pay

that little poxy horrible f--ing condescending smirk and then they say something ridiculous like "ah come on lads youre havin a laugh,it was €5 cheaper last week",this is of course a lie,or theyl say "yer man done it for less yesterday" this is another lie as same people were working yesterday

or they tell you another shop is doing it cheaper (more lies)

these people are scum

if you dont want to pay the price marked on the product then dont take it to the f--king counter you stingy,poxy,hateful f--king arseholes.

go to another shop and try your cheap carry on

it really ruins my day having to deal with these guys,they really put a downer on staff

a customer who comes in and buys loads of stuff and doesnt ask for anything off will always get it cheaper or have free stuff thrown in on top just because they were pleasant

even if your not buying loads of stuff but are nice i may even throw in something small for cheap

i hate those dirty cheap bastards who try to make you give them stuff for less than cost price or at no profit for the shop,its a joke

"i can get that in thailand for half the price"

well book ur flights

book your hotel

arrange where your kids are going to stay while youre gone

get to the airport on time

wait for hours

sit on plane for hours

catch a disease

buy your stupid product

fly back for hours

wait for bags

sit waiting for aircoach

pick up smelly sick kids

get home

clean up burglar ****e from your sitting room floor

discover what you bought is a knock off....

THAT IS WHY YOUR LOCAL BUSINESS CHARGES A LITTLE MORE THAN IN THAILAND ETC

because we pay to import it

pay huge rent

pay rates

pay staff

pay for phone lines/broadband/electricity/advertising/marketing etc etc etc

THATS WHY YOU STUPID IGNORANT FAILURE OF A HUMAN BEING

dont haggle in shops

haggling is for car boot sales people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

how many people use the pump a day?add up all those 1 cents,multiply it by 365 and thats approx how much money they lose by not charging for the one cents

people wont haggle in tescoes or hmv but yet come into a small business and argue like f--k and get abusive when asked for the price of the goods they have brought to the counter.

the price of the goods are clearly marked and we have put up a huge sign saying no discounts/no credit and still they put on this little smirk when you ask them for the money to pay

that little poxy horrible f--ing condescending smirk and then they say something ridiculous like "ah come on lads youre havin a laugh,it was €5 cheaper last week",this is of course a lie,or theyl say "yer man done it for less yesterday" this is another lie as same people were working yesterday

these people are scum

if you dont want to pay the price marked on the product then dont take it to the f--king counter you stingy,poxy,hateful f--king arseholes.

it really ruins my day having to deal with these guys,they really put a downer on staff

a customer who comes in and buys loads of stuff and doesnt ask for anything off will always get it cheaper or have free stuff thrown in on top just because they were pleasant

even if your not buying loads of stuff but are nice i may even throw in something small for cheap

i hate those dirty cheap bastards who try to make you give them stuff for less than cost price or at no profit for the shop,its a joke

well book ur flights

book your hotel

wait for hours

sit on plane for hours

catch a disease

buy your stupid product

fly back for hours

wait for bags

sit waiting for aircoach

pick up smelly sick kids

get home

pay huge rent

pay rates

pay staff

dont haggle in shops

Angry much? Here, try some of these

these people are scum

well book ur flights

book your hotel

wait for hours

sit on plane for hours

catch a disease

buy your stupid product

fly back for hours

wait for bags

sit waiting for aircoach

pick up smelly sick kids

get home

pay huge rent

pay rates

pay staff

dont haggle in shops

But, do you take student discount? :p

[/ Slowly backs away]

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Friend of mine went out with a guy while she was in college. He was working full time. She was renting a room in a house and he stayed over 4 - 5 nights a week. The others he went back to his Mammy who brought him hot chocolate in bed and did his laundry. Of course he contributed not so much as a pint of milk to either household. This is your typical round dodger guy. My friend brought him to meet her Dad over a few pints and had prepped him that it would be important to her Dad that he stood his round 'like a real man' :D. He forgot his wallet and she had to slip him money on the sly for his rounds.

Another time, for Christmas, she's gotten him a Playstation and let him know this well in advance to shame him into getting her a decent pressie. Christmas day he presents her with a (pathetic :rolleyes:) love poem on a sheet of torn copy paper, tea towels and a nagen of vodka. And low and behold when she went over to his Mam's a few days later the nagen of vodka she'd left there previously was missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

But, do you take student discount? :p

[/ Slowly backs away]

yes we do and with good grace :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

well book ur flights

book your hotel

wait for hours

sit on plane for hours

catch a disease

buy your stupid product

fly back for hours

wait for bags

sit waiting for aircoach

pick up smelly sick kids

get home

pay huge rent

pay rates

pay staff

dont haggle in shops

Or they could just buy it online...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ah Hogzy, doing that is not being stingy at all. Cinemas have been ripping people off for decades now.
    I never buy anything in the cinema now, as a matter of principle.

A lot of cinemas make more profit from snacks and drinks than from the actual ticket sales. Ireland is particularly bad for ripping people off with cinema snacks though. Dead right to buy them in a shop before you go in, that's what I do!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement