Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

demakinz wrote: »
    My granny used to buy the big bottles of brown and red sauce and when they were almost empty she used to add some hot water and give it a shake. She would get another week or two from the bottles then. Horrible watery red sauce.

I've done that alot, only until I have a chance to buy new bottles though! Tis a handy trick if you're like me and can't eat chips without red sauce :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 _Moss_

your sister has to be talking bollox

Could be.

I'd a housemate that refused to pay his share in bills and heating oil, he claimed he was hardly in the house, didn't watch tv, had no heat in his room etc. The landlord let him off for a while then kicked him out. Mean fecker was a thief too, was constantly taking my milk and on the day he moved out he stole my ben & jerry's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

fanadman1 wrote: »
    i've a friend he's 21 never evan got a provisional lience always asking for lifts and needs to be shot gun at that my car is lowered and will not make it up his lane id make an attempt now and again but i've never evan seen a cent of diesel money nights the car is full as im droping other people of they throw something in the ash tray just to say thanks i dn't care if its evan a euro ! just smething as an exnolagement. as he's geting out he just taps the roof of the car and slams the door behind him in a bad humer cause he's not getin to the door

we both smoke and he's all the time scabing fags aswell
    one day we were with someone else in there car i left my fags behind me asked him for one his reply to me was **** of i've only a couple left i was goin to give it back to him when we came back to my car !

as a group of friends were not to bad but it seems to be with every group theres allways one w****r :rolleyes:

This Evan guy seems to be a bit of a p***k , its time you got even with Evan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

One time I sprayed deodorant in a shop. We were buying drinks before a houseparty and I just out of the shower and forgot to spray at home. Wouldn't do it now though.

Back in college, if I was heading out and passing Brown Thomas, I'd spin in and dab on some expensive cologne from a tester bottle.

Black Panther usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

_Moss_ wrote: »
    My sister was telling me about this guy years ago who would run to the shop each time he'd to shower and squirt some shampoo/shower gel into his hand and run back home.

One time I sprayed deodorant in a shop. We were buying drinks before a houseparty and I just out of the shower and forgot to spray at home. Wouldn't do it now though.
    same here also hair gel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

your sister has to be talking bollox

Could be.

I'd a housemate that refused to pay his share in bills and heating oil, he claimed he was hardly in the house, didn't watch tv, had no heat in his room etc. The landlord let him off for a while then kicked him out. Mean fecker was a thief too, was constantly taking my milk and on the day he moved out he stole my ben & jerry's :(
    get that f***er

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Growing up, the towels my mother got for her wedding had a long and varied 30 year life:

1.the good towels
    2.the baby's towel
    3. the everyday towels
    4. the swimming towels
    5. dust sheets for painting
    6. clothes
    7. soakage clothes under flowerpots

How is this stingy? Was she supposed to buy special rags specifically to put under flowerpots?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Is there anything to be said for another joke about oranges and pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

My sister was telling me about this guy years ago who would run to the shop each time he'd to shower and squirt some shampoo/shower gel into his hand and run back home.

If it was raining he could have the shower on the way back, save on hot water.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Kolido wrote: »
    If it was raining he could have the shower on the way back, save on hot water.;)
    And a good strong wind would finish the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Haha good to know there are more people like me. When I am away and have been on the tear all night and grab a 6 am Ryanair flight I usualy spray some cologne on me in the duty free. None of that deodrant stuff for me, I'm too posh for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

This was me today.

Goes to counter in Brown Thomas, with the full intention of making a purchase - "Hi, I'm looking for a *** bla bla bla girly terms bla bla bla *** foundation."

Girl at counter: "Yes, we have this one ... and I'd say this would be your colour."

Me: "Do you mind if I try it?" (Meaning, a dab from the sample tube on the back of my hand, as would be the norm when buying foundation.)

Her: "Oh, of course!" (Hands me a small tub with about a week's worth of foundation in it.) "Enjoy, see you soon!"

Me: "No, I meant ... never mind!"

*visits every other counter in Brown Thomas, obtains lifetime supply of very expensive foundation of varying brands* :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My nana (a product of a bygone era) had a theory that no woman should ever buy jewelry, flowers or perfume for herself. My niece has absorbed that philosophy to the ultimate. No power on earth can ever get her to put in hand in her pocket and buy a bottle of perfume. It's not stinginess as such, just a particularly old fashioned view of men and womens relationships. If she runs out of perfume in between Xmas and birthday pressies, she will head in to BT's for a freebie spray on the way to where ever she is going. Ok, no biggie so far.

If she has a date that she has to go home & change for, she'll go in and get about 10 of those cardboard sticks that samples are sprayed on. She'll bring them home, run a bath, toss the sample sticks into the hot water, and use the smelly steam as her perfume. It drives her Ma and Da nuts, as the smell of the 10 strong perfumes mingling & clashing in the air is horrible. The brother says the house smells like a cross between a Hong Kong brothel & a Christmas pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My nana (a product of a bygone era) had a theory that no woman should ever buy jewelry, flowers or perfume for herself. My niece has absorbed that philosophy to the ultimate. No power on earth can ever get her to put in hand in her pocket and buy a bottle of perfume. It's not stinginess as such, just a particularly old fashioned view of men and womens relationships. If she runs out of perfume in between Xmas and birthday pressies, she will head in to BT's for a freebie spray on the way to where ever she is going. Ok, no biggie so far.

If she has a date that she has to go home & change for, she'll go in and get about 10 of those cardboard sticks that samples are sprayed on. She'll bring them home, run a bath, toss the sample sticks into the hot water, and use the smelly steam as her perfume. It drives her Ma and Da nuts, as the smell of the 10 strong perfumes mingling & clashing in the air is horrible. The brother says the house smells like a cross between a Hong Kong brothel & a Christmas pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Chipper in a small town offered free delivery, guy who drank in the pub next door would phone in his order for delivery to his house, then finish his pint, wait outside for the delivery driver, then hop in the delivery car "sure you're going to my house anyway!"
    Even when they started charging for delivery, he still saved himself at least a fiver on a taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Odelay

eimear1 wrote: »
    Chipper in a small town offered free delivery, guy who drank in the pub next door would phone in his order for delivery to his house, then finish his pint, wait outside for the delivery driver, then hop in the delivery car "sure you're going to my house anyway!"
    Even when they started charging for delivery, he still saved himself at least a fiver on a taxi!

Did you read the start of the thread? or he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Seen on the spar on o'connell street last week, this old woman was buying one of them little bottles of milk, she thought it was 87 cent, the fella at the till told her it was 97, and she started a massive argument with him about it 'IF ITS MARKED DOWN AS 87 YOU SHOULD SELL DO YOU FOREIGNERS NOT GET IT'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

eimear1 wrote: »
    This is getting like the Bono and Springsteen story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

padd b1975 wrote: »
    This is getting like the Bono and Springsteen story.

Which is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Which is?

Hang around boards for a while, its only a matter of time before it reappears.
    Some muppet will swear it happened to them and have photos to prove it.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Seen on the spar on o'connell street last week, this old woman was buying one of them little bottles of milk, she thought it was 87 cent, the fella at the till told her it was 97, and she started a massive argument with him about it 'IF ITS MARKED DOWN AS 87 YOU SHOULD SELL DO YOU FOREIGNERS NOT GET IT'

She didn't want to be ripped off more like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was marked down as 97 cent! She got confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

If its marked at 87 then yes they should sell it at 87. If its marked at 87 but selling for 97 then the customer has the right to get it at advertised price and the counter guy has to amend the price on the SEL after. I know this I work in a garage but 1 thing I found is that 99% of people don't realise not all the labels get moved around with the product even if its only on the shelf.

Lets say they just see an SEL under tatyo C&O but its an SEL for Monstor munch. Tayto cost 95 cent and monstor munch cost 85 cent. If they put up tayto and you tell them 95 cent they will nearly always say "no they are 85 cent" you go around and check the label that says monstor munch 85 cent they always say "oh right" or else get in a huff over it

The point is make sure you look at the correct label for the correct product even if its butter of 454 g or 227 g the prices will be different but people just see "butter2 they don't look at the weight or description of the product then complain about the price whern its not what they thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

If its marked at 87 then yes they should sell it at 87. If its marked at 87 but selling for 97 then the customer has the right to get it at advertised price and the counter guy has to amend the price on the SEL after. I know this I work in a garage but 1 thing I found is that 99% of people don't realise not all the labels get moved around with the product even if its only on the shelf.

Lets say they just see an SEL under tatyo C&O but its an SEL for Monstor munch. Tayto cost 95 cent and monstor munch cost 85 cent. If they put up tayto and you tell them 95 cent they will nearly always say "no they are 85 cent" you go around and check the label that says monstor munch 85 cent they always say "oh right" or else get in a huff over it

The point is make sure you look at the correct label for the correct product even if its butter of 454 g or 227 g the prices will be different but people just see "butter2 they don't look at the weight or description of the product then complain about the price whern its not what they thought it was.

You should go to the 'Cries of Retail' Thread. They'll love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If its marked at 87 then yes they should sell it at 87. If its marked at 87 but selling for 97 then the customer has the right to get it at advertised price and the counter guy has to amend the price on the SEL after. I know this I work in a garage

No, this may be the policy in that garage, but it's not the law!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

then the customer has the right to get it at advertised price.

no they don't, stop talkin sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Invitation to treat -> Offer -> Counter-offer etc. They dont have to sell it at the wrong price, I dont know where you got that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What right is that? Not denying its often done, but only to oblige the customer, just like goodwill refunds. The law protects the retailer, look up invitation to treat. Legally it doesn't matter a damn what the sign says.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol you should see the "rip off ireland" sub forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Hang around boards for a while, its only a matter of time before it reappears.
    Some muppet will swear it happened to them and have photos to prove it.
    Hold on... this is the story where someone met Bono in a restaurant and didn't realise he was sitting with Springsteen? And Springsteen took the photo? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement