Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Incorrect.

About 10 people have corrected him on that already! Please be less stingy with your reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My brother in law stayed with use for four months, expected us to feed him and he gave us 200 euros... He had a very well paid job at the time and just came off working at a client site where his company put him up in an apartment, rent free... he spent nearly a whole year not paying rent...

Why did you put up with him, can't stand free loaders like that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

A close family member is a stinge and the older she gets it's getting worse .. Constantly on and on about how though it is to live today on her wages but yet she has gone on 2 separate week hols in the last 6 months and weekends away to luxury hotels down the country ... I have to laugh when she says she is coming down for week end for some more often but it nearly turns into a moan fest "poor me" ... But then slips up about her savings account ...
    Or try's to explain away the sports car .. No old banger there...

Her mother is beginning to see thru her now but it took years .. Well past college age and still raiding the cupboards in the family home for food to save her from buying during the week ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Incorrect.

About 10 people have corrected him on that already! Please be less stingy with your reading!

Alright, calm down princess, you're getting hysterical.

Actually, if we're telling stories like that.. My friend doesn't drink, in our group. Fine, I don't drink either, I get j20 or orange juice. But he thinks because he doesn't drink, he doesn't have to buy the rounds. Whenever it come round to him, he just says 'oh I don't like alcohol lol' then he'll ask whoever goes up for a lemonade or juice. When we go to mcdonalds, he never pays, he just says 'I'l get it next time' but never does. Never shares his smokes either, doesn't mind asking for them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

cloud493 wrote: »
    Actually, if we're telling stories like that.. My friend doesn't drink, in our group. Fine, I don't drink either, I get j20 or orange juice. But he thinks because he doesn't drink, he doesn't have to buy the rounds. Whenever it come round to him, he just says 'oh I don't like alcohol lol' then he'll ask whoever goes up for a lemonade or juice. When we go to mcdonalds, he never pays, he just says 'I'l get it next time' but never does. Never shares his smokes either, doesn't mind asking for them :mad:

Next time, organise ahead with everyone to all have a round of orange juice :) Let him know the party is over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Next time, organise ahead with everyone to all have a round of orange juice :) Let him know the party is over :D
    Whats wrong with him not getting a round? My mate drinks oj when were out, at €2.50 a pop its hardly worth him getting us back pints at 4.50?

As for the maccers, why not just get your own nuggets?

Squ wrote: »
    Whats wrong with him not getting a round? My mate drinks oj when were out, at €2.50 a pop its hardly worth him getting us back pints at 4.50?

If the guy doesn't want to get a round, then don't allow others to pay for all the OJ. He should buy his own non-alco drinks if he doesn't want to join in on the round. it isn't rocket science.

Just because he doesn't drink alcohol in the pub doesn't mean his drink is free.

If the guy doesn't want to get a round, then don't allow others to pay for all the OJ. He should buy his own non-alco drinks if he doesn't want to join in on the round. it isn't rocket science.
    calm down pettle, you're right, rocket science it aint.

I am calm. Why wouldn't I be. :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Then he shouldn't be asking for rounds if he doesn't want in.

Oh, and as for stingy.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056561038

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭badgerbaiter

[/Quote]Whats wrong with him not getting a round? My mate drinks oj when were out, at €2.50 a pop its hardly worth him getting us back pints at 4.50?[/Quote]

Thats pretty stingy sounding itself.. You shouldnt count every little euro with mates. Its just polite.

I am calm. Why wouldn't I be. :confused::confused::confused:
    Ok ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

A friend of mine, who is absolutely loaded by the way, used to deliberately come late to restaurants where we had all agreed to meet and instead of ordering anything would just eat what was left over on our plates. ****in nightmare gettin him to pay for his round as well. Nice guy but there is no depth he wouldnt stoop to to save a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Why did you put up with him, can't stand free loaders like that :mad:

Family innit? Drove my wife crazy as well, she just didn't want to rock the boat.

Sweet fúcking jesus.

I'm in a large pharma plant, in one of the small tea rooms doing paperwork.

A lad in a decent suit just came in, didn't notice me and made himself a cup of tea. On his way out, he stuffed a handful of sugars and tea bags into his jacket pocket.

Hand still in pocket, he turns to leave and then he sees me.. like a rabbit in your lights, he just froze..

I'm guessing he thought about explaining himself, but just walked out!!

For all the argumentative kbw's,

But I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.. They probably have a kettle in their office or something like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A friend of mine, who is absolutely loaded by the way, used to deliberately come late to restaurants where we had all agreed to meet and instead of ordering anything would just eat what was left over on our plates. ****in nightmare gettin him to pay for his round as well. Nice guy but there is no depth he wouldnt stoop to to save a penny.
    nice guy? if he is your friend and a nice guy did you offer to get him some professional help?

because arriving late to a restaurant just so he can scavenge the leftovers on his friends plates, rather than ordering something, when he is 'loaded' as you say, sounds like a symptom of some serious mental imbalance/illness. it's not just stingy, it's downright odd and disturbing and if one of my group of mates started that type of behavior, the rest of us would be genuinely concerned for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

There was a man who stole one egg from my local supermarket every morning for decades. I'm not even eggsagerating. They all knew he was doing it but turned a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There was a man who stole one egg from my local supermarket every morning for decades. I'm not even eggsagerating. They all knew he was doing it but turned a blind eye.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

nice guy? if he is your friend and a nice guy did you offer to get him some professional help?

because arriving late to a restaurant just so he can scavenge the leftovers on his friends plates, rather than ordering something, when he is 'loaded' as you say, sounds like a symptom of some serious mental imbalance/illness. it's not just stingy, it's downright odd and disturbing and if one of my group of mates started that type of behavior, the rest of us would be genuinely concerned for them.

Course not, we did the traditional Irish thing; pretend not to notice and then go "what the ****?" when he wasnt around.
    There's nothing wrong with him mentally, he's just a tight fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I must say, this thread has gone to the dogs lately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

A lad got suspended in the factory where my dad works for doing the same thing. There is a buffet type layout in the canteen at breakfast, where you serve yourself and bring food to the till.

This fecker was slipping a hard boiled egg up his sleeve every day. They cost 30 cent or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 helen48

A friend of mine would drink alcohol on every one elses round and order water for herself when she had to pay,she would buy one can red bull and split it between 4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I used to work with a lad and we would go out for a chinese for lunch usually once a week or so. They had an lunch offer where you get a starter and a main course for 7euro. Main on its own was 6.50, which is what the guy used to always order.
    Now i understand if he only got the lunch because he wasnt hungry or didnt like what was on the menu (there were 4 things to chose from, from soup, ribs, wings, prawn toast), but he done this every week for 2ish years, and would often try and pick at the starter that people would leave behind.
    We brought it up a few times, 'why dont you buy the starter and main?', the usual response was 'ah im not hungry', or 'ah i dont like it'. Once though, he let it slip and said he'd rather save the 50c, as over a year it added up to E25 which he could spend on something else.
    We all worked together for a large multinational and none of us were strapped for cash.

Same lad was also a culprit for going missing in rounds, and robbing beers in nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Moved in with a friend a few months back. I couldn't understand how when he made tea, it was always really weak. Then found out he was using one tea bag for both cups. Not very stingy I guess, but for the love of God!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I remember the main restaurant in UCC used to do sausages beans and chips every evening, great munch after a bit of studying. They charged per portion of bean/chips and per sausage but didnt define what a portion of beans was I remember me being able to craftly hide the third sausage under the beans and chips saving myself 65c, then head over to the tea counter for a nice cup of fresh milk.

I never regretted it, that restaurant was extortionate even though it was subsidized.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

He could buy a round of 1/2 pints

Seriously guys, so many stories of friends not paying there way in pubs and resteraunts, why do you put up with it and then complain, you have only yourselves to blame.

Kolido wrote: »

He could buy a round of 1/2 pints

Seriously guys, so many stories of friends not paying there way in pubs and resteraunts, why do you put up with it and then complain, you have only yourselves to blame.
    Did you quote the wrong post? I'm not complaining.. I'm saying hes grand not getting a round in..

Buying coke/j20 is the same price as a pint, give or take 30 cent, and he's happy enough to take it off of us when we're buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Did you quote the wrong post? I'm not complaining.. I'm saying hes grand not getting a round in..

I quoted your post to offer your mate a fair way to get a round in.

Maybe I sounded contradictory, I'm not sticking up for the freeloaders but I'm also not sticking up for the fools who put up with it and then complain.

If it happens once maybe twice I would let it slide, but I wouldn't put up with it constantly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement