Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

cloud493 wrote: »
    Buying coke/j20 is the same price as a pint, give or take 30 cent, and he's happy enough to take it off of us when we're buying.

coke/oj = €2.50
    pint €4-5

So he's paying €2-2.50 extra per drink and if there's 4 other people in the round he's paying €8-10 extra every time his round comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oscar taylors(where we go)

J20 - 4.50
    Coke - 4 quid
    Pint - 5.30

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

cloud493 wrote: »
    Oscar taylors(where we go)

J20 - 4.50
    Coke - 4 quid
    Pint - 5.30

:O what :O down here we pay 2 euro for a coke and 3.50 for a pint :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

fanadman1 wrote: »
    :O what :O down here we pay 2 euro for a cock and 3.50 for a pint :L

Keep what you do with your money in your own time to yourself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

:O what :O down here we pay 2 euro for a cock and 3.50 for a pint :L

If you're a bird you can have my cock for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

well spoted boys :P slight mistake :P i fixed my post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

the customer has the right to get it at advertised price

Incorrect.
    super incorrect actually

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

well spoted boys :P slight mistake :P i fixed my post :P
    I read that in the voice of Skipper from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Penguins_of_Madagascar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Not sure if stingy or plain stupid. Few years ago Friend of mine's class was having a secret santa style thing, There was about 30 or so in the class, she got a present from a classmate of a mix of things. mini bottles of soaps, stationary stuff, quite a few of them in a badly wrapped paper that had good luck on it.

now that would have been grand, excusing the paper and all. Paper is paper at the end of the day. Except for the fact that she worked in a hotel in the city and recognised her "lovely gift" as the branded mini bottles of lotions ect, sourced for and stocked in her hotel's en suite bathrooms.

Id be willing to bet a few business's were missing various stationary around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Squ wrote: »
    Whats wrong with him not getting a round? My mate drinks oj when were out, at €2.50 a pop its hardly worth him getting us back pints at 4.50?

As for the maccers, why not just get your own nuggets?

No it's not, but if he's constantly getting free drinks off everyone else, he should buy a round once in a while! Especially if he expects the others to buy him drinks...

I'm a non-drinker but I tend to stay out of rounds in the first place, because I usually just don't have as many drinks in a night as everyone else. If I'm meeting one or two friends for drinks, I'll occasionally buy theirs (and vice versa). But if it happened that people had were always buying me drinks with their rounds, I'd buy one back!

On a similar note, I fecking hate it when people go into a pub and order tap water all night (unless the pub charged in). If you're using their table, chair, glass, ice and music, buy at least one bloody drink! It's sort of acceptable if there's a big group and someone's doing designated driver, but more than one person doing it a table...

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    coke/oj = €2.50
    pint €4-5

So he's paying €2-2.50 extra per drink and if there's 4 other people in the round he's paying €8-10 extra every time his round comes around.

Depends where you are and what deals are on. Was in a club a while back and I was paying more for my 7up than my friends were paying for beer! First time I went up and ordered a 7up, the barman asked "Are you SURE you don't want beer instead? Would save you money!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

MCOS wrote: »
    We have a lovely new puppy who is about 45 months old and is picky about his food. He loves the top of the shelf expensive puppy stuff so we just give it to him. He is happy.

Recently after a dinner with some friends who are good at saving (i.e they would eat beans for a year to save for something) we took a different approach. You see, I admired their discipline to skimp in order to buy their lovely new home so I heeded their advice which was..

"He is only a dog, he would eat his own sh!te, so just give him the cheap dry stuff and he will eat it when he is hungry. You will save x per week and y per year..."

Fair enough, the dry stuff went into his bowl on Sunday morning after the shopping. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and proceed to play with some of it. Perhaps he was genuinely confused. I let him be.

That afternoon he had barely tasted it so we left him overnight just to see if he would gobble it up when the hunger got too bad. The next morning he had eaten a small bit.

Monday evening after work, no dent in it and my OH is worried and wants to go back to the nice puppy top shelf stuff. I persist.

Yesterday evening after work again no food eaten. I also figured this was the reason why he hadn't pooped in 2 days either. He had been drinking water and peeing on the paper so all was normal there. He seemed depressed and my heart was weakening.

Finally I smelled his poop, however before i got to it he had eaten it. I felt a pang of guilt. Poor thing would rather eat his own sh!te than that muck in his bowl. I didn't tell the OH as he hung his head and lay depressed on his blanket.

About an hour later, still hadn't touched the food he pooped again. Again he beat me to it and ate it. Another pang of guilt only it was multiplied as in horror I realised he had been recycling that first bite of the muck from 2 days ago in this way!

The Guilt :o

Lesson: Don't take advice from stingy people!

What you should have done frist is put 3/4 the exPensive food with 1/4 cheap food and then gradually wean him onto the cheap stuff

But be warned cheap food has higher amounts of ash which is used as a additive to preserve the food and is cancer causing in dogs studies in the usa have showen

I feed my dog chicken and rice with mashed veg or i get cheap frying steak and boil it its better as there are no additives and somtimes my mam will give him left over fillet steak shocking but the dog gets a balanced and healthy diet with that nasty stuff in it

Dogs are seriously picky during the cripto spredium in galway city my mam started giving him bottled water. Now he hates the tap water and would rather drink from a puddle in the garden than the water in his bowl so i still give him bottled water lol spoiled dog

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tahina wrote: »
    Dogs are seriously picky during the cripto spredium in galway city my mam started giving him bottled water. Now he hates the tap water and would rather drink from a puddle in the garden than the water in his bowl so i still give him bottled water lol spoiled dog
    They probably upped the chlorine in the tap water.

Victor wrote: »
    They probably upped the chlorine in the tap water.

Oh ya thats a good point =] i dont use the tap water for cooking or drinking. Poor dog bottled water for him now on so =D

fit a rainwater butt to the gutter downpipe, fresh rain water the dog should be happy drinking that.

dolanbaker wrote: »
    fit a rainwater butt to the gutter downpipe, fresh rain water the dog should be happy drinking that.

Ya thats a much better idea. Ill have ta get that done thanks =]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

But be warned cheap food has higher amounts of ash which is used as a additive to preserve the food and is cancer causing in dogs studies in the usa have showen..................

This thread is going off topic but I can't let that lay there.
    The ash in dog food is not an additive or a preservative, it is the heat sterilised/rendered product of bonemeal and certain offal which forms a nutrient part of the food. It is very high in mineral content so in the right amounts is beneficial but in excessive amounts (like many things) can be very detrimental to health.

Cedrus wrote: »
    But be warned cheap food has higher amounts of ash which is used as a additive to preserve the food and is cancer causing in dogs studies in the usa have showen..................

This thread is going off topic but I can't let that lay there.
    The ash in dog food is not an additive or a preservative, it is the heat sterilised/rendered product of bonemeal and certain offal which forms a nutrient part of the food. It is very high in mineral content so in the right amounts is beneficial but in excessive amounts (like many things) can be very detrimental to health.

I could have sworn its an additive. Thanks for da info.

The dog just wont drink the tap water so ive given in to giving him bottled.

I saw the stingest thing yesterday. This old guy was outside a pub drunk asking these kids for ciggies anyway to cut a long story short the lad told him theres a half smoked one on the ground and the old man picked it up lit it up and walked away. I feel sad and disgusted at the old man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

1. finish off another persons pint , not paying their round.

2. going halves on a cup of coffee on a date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I know a guy who buys a tin of baked beans on a Tuesday so he can have a bubble bath on a Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I know a guy who buys a tin of baked beans on a Tuesday so he can have a bubble bath on a Wednesday.

Aw thats Defo rank =\ i wonder if hes sooo stingy that he uses lidl beans or the expensive stuff like heinz lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Aw thats Defo rank =\ i wonder if hes sooo stingy that he uses lidl beans or the expensive stuff like heinz lol
    Batchelors ftw! I was going through a frugal stage and trying out Dunnes brand stuff. Bread, milk, sugar were all fine so I tried their beans *vomit smilie* Batchelors are worth every penny :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Batchelors ftw! I was going through a frugal stage and trying out Dunnes brand stuff. Bread, milk, sugar were all fine so I tried their beans *vomit smilie* Batchelors are worth every penny :D
    I heard on the radio that Bachelors make the Dunnes beans.
    Though the "sauce" is more or less water

chlorine in water, let it stand for 24 hours uncovered in a bowl to get rid of it, you'd to do the something similar for goldfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

People dressed in expensive suits looking through €1 bargin bins :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

People dressed in expensive suits looking through €1 bargin bins :mad:

Which is stingy because???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Which is stingy because???
    Because they obviously have plenty money and are still trying to take all the good stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

How do you think they get to have plenty of money in the first place? Shopping in shops where you can get kick ass bargains is one way. That is not being stingy. That's being smart with your money imo.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    How do you think they get to have plenty of money in the first place? Shopping in shops where you can get kick ass bargains is one way. That is not being stingy. That's being smart with your money imo.

It's only stingy if they try to haggle with the price :P

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

ProudDUB wrote: »

It's only stingy if they try to haggle with the price :P

I've heard of people haggling in pennies alright. One woman was buying undies and socks to the value of 7 and she said I'm buying these pants for 4 so can I have the socks for 1?
    We can actually try haggle. It's good with big stuff. But... In pennies?!

• Advertisement

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    I've heard of people haggling in pennies alright. One woman was buying undies and socks to the value of 7 and she said I'm buying these pants for 4 so can I have the socks for 1?
    We can actually try haggle. It's good with big stuff. But... In pennies?!

Yep, I worked in one for a while. People would try get sale items that were €1 for 50c. I could understand when people found things that had been left back on a wrong stand and thought they were on sale, or when people asked for student discount (there isn't one), but not when they would start an argument over 50c! (Unless they were buying several of the item, I guess)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement