Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Maybe, but as they all queue in Dunnes and a few of them get sandwiches I would be guessing this is their lunches. They hang around the outside of the shop eating the whole packet.

They must be saving a fortune over time... ;)

A lot of lads bring their own lunches into school and a euro or two just for something out of the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Cant think of any stories to tell, but I absolutely hate the way some shops and Bus-Drivers make you pay the exact amount if you hand in small change and are short 1/2 cent and end up having to break a large note as they refused to let you off 1/2 cents. The thing is sometimes when Shop Assistants or Bus-Drivers give you back your change and they leave you short 1/2 cents they know they will get away with it because a) you're too embarrassed to ask for it or b) you're rushing to leave the shop and don't notice they've left you short. I know it's just 1/2 cent, but it's just rather sly and underhand and un-fair that they know they'll get away with it simply because the Customer usually won't make an issue out it.

You're going to have the break the note eventually anyway.

And if they are leaving you short change, call them on it. I always pay the exact amount and query if the exact amount is not given back. It's only embarrassing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was running late one day and didn't have time to get change. Give the bus driver a fiver and said keep the change but he wouldn't take it. Going from that I would say that they aren't stingy, just have very strict rules. This was on a Dublin bus where you get a receipt for the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,373 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was running late one day and didn't have time to get change. Give the bus driver a fiver and said keep the change but he wouldn't take it. Going from that I would say that they aren't stingy, just have very strict rules. This was on a Dublin bus where you get a receipt for the difference.

Drivers aren't allowed handle money and the machines can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Not stingy, just annoying
    This reminds me, recently I got on a bus on Abbey St, a posh woman with her young child who got on just infront of me was trying to pay with a note and seemed to be running late for something and was flustered etc.
    I had alot of change in a pocket of my bag (for the bus) and I offered her the change, I wouldn't have minded just giving her the few quid for the bus but she insisted on taking €5 in change for her €5 note (the fare for the 2 was 4 something anyway). It wasn't all ridiculous stuff, 10c,20c and 50c and the odd euro coin.
    Straight afterwards I got a snide 'Well thats your piggy bank empty' remark.
    I didn't call her a gee-bag, which itself was my good deed for the day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

[QUOTE=Martyn1989;78553773posh woman with her young child[/QUOTE]

That's all you need to hear right there, anyone who consider themselves or is "posh" is a snide cúnt by absolute definition. Worst class of people to deal with in any walk of life:

sense of entitlement
    stingy
    sarcastic
    brat children

how do you spot a snobby cúnt? you ask them what door number their house is, they will almost choke and go to great lengths to let you know their address has a name instead. You live in a 2 story detached house in an estate or just outside a fúckin town love, this isn't richard branson naming his estate. On the plus side though, anyone with no door number will have hell trying to get things delivered to their address :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Martyn1989 wrote:
    Straight afterwards I got a snide 'Well thats your piggy bank empty' remark.
    I didn't call her a gee-bag, which itself was my good deed for the day ;)
    She might've been joking. Was she a stereotypical posh, snide cow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

weemcd wrote: »
    That's all you need to hear right there, anyone who consider themselves or is "posh" is a snide cúnt by absolute definition. Worst class of people to deal with in any walk of life:

sense of entitlement
    stingy
    sarcastic
    brat children

how do you spot a snobby cúnt? you ask them what door number their house is, they will almost choke and go to great lengths to let you know their address has a name instead. You live in a 2 story detached house in an estate or just outside a fúckin town love, this isn't richard branson naming his estate. On the plus side though, anyone with no door number will have hell trying to get things delivered to their address :p

my house doesn't have a door number, I'm not posh, I'm a culchie :D

efb wrote: »

Your house isn't a house, it's a landmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

grindle wrote: »
    She might've been joking. Was she a stereotypical posh, snide cow?

Ok first off everyone calm down.

The way it was said was sort of belittling, dismissive in a 'I havn't been bent over in ages' kind of way. :pac:

It didn't seem to be said in any jokey way tbh

• Advertisement

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Ok first off everyone calm down.
    DON'T tell US to calm DOWN!!!

This woman needs to die. I wasn't even being post-ironically sarcastic, even.

I meet snobby, well-to-do bitches every day. Good kick in the gowl sorts 'em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

efb wrote: »

Mine doesn't have a house number. I removed it so the debt collection agency cant find me :D

Mine doesn't have a house number. I removed it so the debt collection agency cant find me :D

hope you let the postie know:
    Got your back Jack, bitches be crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I spell my house number with letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

weemcd wrote: »
    Having a house name does not make one snobby, being better than you does...

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Years ago..... many, many years ago, when i was at school, we had a system where if your families income was below a certain level you got "lunch tickets" that could be exchanged for £1's worth of food in the school canteen.

I noticed that once a year, all the Indian and Pakistani kids wouldn't be eating lunch for the whole month, and they explained that it was Ramadan, (but being 13 couldn't really explain what 'Ramadan' actually was, only that they couldn't eat until night-time)

So I used to buy their lunch tickets off them for 10p each and sell them to the kids who's families weren't on social for 50p - and everyone was happy.

Made about £12 one year.

Oh, the shame when i think about it now....

Years ago..... many, many years ago, when i was at school, we had a system where if your families income was below a certain level you got "lunch tickets" that could be exchanged for £1's worth of food in the school canteen.

I noticed that once a year, all the Indian and Pakistani kids wouldn't be eating lunch for the whole month, and they explained that it was Ramadan, (but being 13 couldn't really explain what 'Ramadan' actually was, only that they couldn't eat until night-time)

So I used to buy their lunch tickets off them for 10p each and sell them to the kids who's families weren't on social for 50p - and everyone was happy.

Made about £12 one year.

Denis O'Brien- welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Made about £12 one year.

You Monster :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

I don't know who true this is, but I heard a story about a woman where I'm from who used to rinse out and hang her used sanitary towels on the line. She was quite smelly and lived in a mobile home, but I'm not 100% sure if she did that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

hahaahhaa thats disgusting how would you know unless ur hiding behind the bushes..I didnt know you could wash sanitary towels ..
    stingiest thing ive seen someone do recently is when they got on the bus (i was behind them) they handed out one and two red cent coins(all red cent coins i even had a peek over the shoulder) and it took forever!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

harperlee wrote: »
    I don't know who true this is, but I heard a story about a woman where I'm from who used to rinse out and hang her used sanitary towels on the line. She was quite smelly and lived in a mobile home, but I'm not 100% sure if she did that.
    Probably about as true as this story ;)
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The neighbours used to have toilet paper drying on the washing line.
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I didnt know you could wash sanitary towels ..
    You can't. They're designed for single use only. The only way you could wash sanitary items is if you did like they did back in the good old days and used rags, hence the saying "on the rag" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You can't. They're designed for single use only. The only way you could wash sanitary items is if you did like they did back in the good old days and used rags, hence the saying "on the rag" :eek:

It's not as old school as most people think..
    http://www.ecomenses.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You should have all chipped in and bought her a mooncup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

bfocusd wrote: »
    It's not as old school as most people think..
    http://www.ecomenses.com/

:eek:

Jesus, you couldn't make it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

You should have all chipped in and bought her a mooncup
    What's a mooncup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Edit: same link sorry

It's a plastic cup inserted into the vagina that collects your period blood and it can be reused! I probably should have put, don't read if your eating.before that..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I was running late one day and didn't have time to get change. Give the bus driver a fiver and said keep the change but he wouldn't take it. Going from that I would say that they aren't stingy, just have very strict rules. This was on a Dublin bus where you get a receipt for th difference.

'Keep the change...'
    Gawd, it used to bug me when my then-boyfriend would say this to bus drivers.
    Fasttalker, I'm sure you were perfectly gracious in that situation, but from my bf, he might as well as being urging the chap behind the wheel to help himself to some cake rather than putting up with that dreadful bread.
    Grr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

bfocusd wrote: »
    Edit: same link sorry

It's a plastic cup inserted into the vagina that collects your period blood and it can be reused! I probably should have put, don't read if your eating.before that..?

Sweet Jesus... Don't read if you've eaten in the last few hours :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

My girlfriend's friends refuse to ever leave a tip when they're out. They usually give out to her for leaving something.

They were all put through college by their parents, they never had to work part time themselves. I think that's part of it.

She told me that a couple of times she left money on the table, made a point of explicitly saying ...

"I am leaving this as a tip"

... only to see total amount left by the group ending up being the exact amount of the bill.

As far as I'm concerned her friends practically stole her money and put it towards the price of their own meal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement