Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Years ago..... many, many years ago, when i was at school, we had a system where if your families income was below a certain level you got "lunch tickets" that could be exchanged for £1's worth of food in the school canteen.

I noticed that once a year, all the Indian and Pakistani kids wouldn't be eating lunch for the whole month, and they explained that it was Ramadan, (but being 13 couldn't really explain what 'Ramadan' actually was, only that they couldn't eat until night-time)

So I used to buy their lunch tickets off them for 10p each and sell them to the kids who's families weren't on social for 50p - and everyone was happy.

Made about £12 one year.

Oh, the shame when i think about it now....

:D
    The fact that you had the...

a) resourcefulness to think of it then
    b) decency to regret now

... makes me respect you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah entrepreneurship....you can't beat it !

When I was 10 I won a case of Jaffa Cakes from Big D, the pirate radio station that operated out of the old Regency Airport Hotel. It was some silly slogan competition sponsored by Jacobs, or whoever makes Jaffa Cakes.

Got them home, and my brother said he'd take them back to boarding school with him, as he knew I didn't like anything with jam in them. I probably would have given them to him if his attitude didn't piss me off. So Feck off sez I. What are you going to do with them, sell them? sez he. Great idea ! sez I.

So I put a sign up in my bedroom window saying Jaffa Cakes for Sale: 10p each or 50p for a packet. This was the 1970's. Jaffa cakes were seriously expensive. They were kind of things that your mammy would get in for visitors or the visit of the parish priest. They certainly weren't cheap every day eating.

Before too long, I had a big line of neighbourhood kids and some mammys too at my bedroom window, as I was selling them for less than half what they sold in shops for. Then my own mammy arrived home from her job hours before she normally did. She soon put an end to my sale of the century. She was mortified by what I did, and I was in serious trouble. Turns out one of the nosy neighbours thought that I had shop lifted the Jaffa Cakes, and called her at work to tell her what I was up to. :mad:

I had sold most of the Jaffa cakes by the time she showed up. Luckily I had the sense to hide most of my moolah before she demanded that I hand it over. It was 10 times what I made for my weekly pocket money. I thought I was the bees knees. :D

Later on, I did feel guilty about not giving them to my brother as he really did have crap food to eat at school. :o

Sorry. Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

ProudDUB wrote: »

Later on, I did feel guilty about not giving them to my brother as he really did have crap food to eat at school. :o

Fuck him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Jaffa Cakes are one of my primary food groups. Any left?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fuck him

He was in boarding school, the bigger boys were doing that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Few years back when I was a joiner I was doing a job in a newsagents / stationary shop in Letterkenny.I was cutting up a lenght of timber, realised I'd lost my pencil to mark it with, the owner says dont worry I'll get you one. He walks behinds the counter, lifts a pencil, rings it through the till and wouldn't hand it to me until I gave him the 30c! Couldn't believe it!
    When I invoiced him for the job I added the 30c and stated what it was for :D petty, but it felt good lol.

Another time years ago I asked a colleague if he wanted anything from the shop, he said yeah get me a packet of matches and INSISTED on giving me 20p for them despite me objecting. When I got back he asked me how much they cost, when I replied 18p, he held his hand out for the change! I laughed thinking he was jokin, he wasn't and kept his hand out until I found the 2p!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah entrepreneurship....you can't beat it !

When I was 10 I won a case of Jaffa Cakes from Big D, the pirate radio station that operated out of the old Regency Airport Hotel. It was some silly slogan competition sponsored by Jacobs, or whoever makes Jaffa Cakes.

Got them home, and my brother said he'd take them back to boarding school with him, as he knew I didn't like anything with jam in them. I probably would have given them to him if his attitude didn't piss me off. So Feck off sez I. What are you going to do with them, sell them? sez he. Great idea ! sez I.

So I put a sign up in my bedroom window saying Jaffa Cakes for Sale: 10p each or 50p for a packet. This was the 1970's. Jaffa cakes were seriously expensive. They were kind of things that your mammy would get in for visitors or the visit of the parish priest. They certainly weren't cheap every day eating.

Before too long, I had a big line of neighbourhood kids and some mammys too at my bedroom window, as I was selling them for less than half what they sold in shops for. Then my own mammy arrived home from her job hours before she normally did. She soon put an end to my sale of the century. She was mortified by what I did, and I was in serious trouble. Turns out one of the nosy neighbours thought that I had shop lifted the Jaffa Cakes, and called her at work to tell her what I was up to. :mad:

I had sold most of the Jaffa cakes by the time she showed up. Luckily I had the sense to hide most of my moolah before she demanded that I hand it over. It was 10 times what I made for my weekly pocket money. I thought I was the bees knees. :D

You must live in a 'nice' part of Dublin haha. Certain areas associate Jaffa Cakes with police informers and you may have been considered a rat in those places.

Nice little earner while it lasted though :)

Fuck him

That's what I thought until I was there about a year later. He got mumps or measles or some thing like that, and we had to go up there and bring him home. We were given dinner in the staff dining room before we left. Even though we were given the good grub as opposed to the pig swill they fed the boys, I still have night mares about it. Nasty pinkish grey shoe leather masquerading as ham, radioactive white sludge pretending to be mash spuds and some snot green congealed goo that were supposed to be peas...shudders... :(

The brother could probably write a book on all the cost cutting that went on in the place. They grew all their own fruit and veggies on the property. Surplus stuff was even was sold in the school shop that parents and visitors could buy. The local market town even flogged some stuff from the school for them, such as home made honey, apples and strawberries.

The brochure for the school showed pix of pupils digging in the fields surrounded by crates of fresh fruit and veggies. They really pimped the place as a palace to healthy eating & living. My mother fell for it hook line and sinker as she was a bit of a health nut herself. Did the boys ever see any of this bounty from Mother Nature on their plates? Did they hell? Every thing that they ate came from a can or a packet.

They didn't even get to eat fresh fruit and Lord knows, it was literally falling off the trees all over the place. Their desserts were always nasty stewed fruits that were more sugar and water than fruit, covered in a vomity looking custardy film. To this day, the brother can't even look at a stewed fruit dessert without wanting to throw up. :mad:

And there I was, denying him & his buddies an aul Jaffa Cake or two. I'm a horrible person. :o

Ah who am I kidding? All that moolah was fooking deadly !!!:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Doctor looked me squarely in the eye. "You seriously need to reduce your alcohol intake or you'll ruin what's left of your liver completely."

"Feck off, Doc," I replied. "You always say that when it's your round."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Stinginess...

When I was a kid I was going for a crap in a friend's house. Before starting, I noticed that there was very little toilet roll left. You could see the grey of the cardboard. I mean there was like three sheets maximum left. I called my friend's dad to explain and he practically marched in to investigate.

He took one look, gave me this disdainful, incredulous look and said " what's wrong? sure you have plenty there!" and stormed out.

I think I might have actually cried during that poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hmmm seems to have been a pretty non-thrifty week.

More stingy stories anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Hmmm seems to have been a pretty non-thrifty week.

More stingy stories anyone??

Hmmmmm.... People are being stingy with the stingy stories so!

See what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Hmmmmm.... People are being stingy with the stingy stories so!

See what I did there?

Saw it a few times actually... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

A mate of mine was walking through the Castlecourt Shopping Centre in Belfast one lunch time - just out for a walk on his break - when he reached one of the main entrances and found two young ladies, dressed in promotional gear, giving out packets of Walkers Crisps to passers by.

Given that he cleans his neck with brasso, he goes up and explains to the girls that he works in an office with over 200 members of staff, just nearby (true) and he'd be happy to take a couple of boxes of cheese 'n' onion flavour back to the office to give out - help the promotion for the brand.

Girls looked doubtful, but against their better judgement said OK and handed over two boxes - 144 packets.

Well, you guessed it - he loved Walkers cheese 'n' onion - he promptly raced around to the car, opened the boot and deposited the cache, and lived off those crisps at home, for months after!!

Dan, I hope you're proud of yourself!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A mate of mine was walking through the Castlecourt Shopping Centre in Belfast one lunch time - just out for a walk on his break - when he reached one of the main entrances and found two young ladies, dressed in promotional gear, giving out packets of Walkers Crisps to passers by.

Given that he cleans his neck with brasso, he goes up and explains to the girls that he works in an office with over 200 members of staff, just nearby (true) and he'd be happy to take a couple of boxes of cheese 'n' onion flavour back to the office to give out - help the promotion for the brand.

Girls looked doubtful, but against their better judgement said OK and handed over two boxes - 144 packets.

Well, you guessed it - he loved Walkers cheese 'n' onion - he promptly raced around to the car, opened the boot and deposited the cache, and lived off those crisps at home, for months after!!

That's not really scabby, that's just genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

stetyrrell wrote: »

Yep, fcuking genius :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yep, fcuking genius :D

no, scabby.

efb wrote: »
    no, scabby.

Being stingy is completely different to being a thief :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Being stingy is completely different to being a thief :pac:

:confused:

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    :confused:

Different mentality, in ones brain?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ive read a load of really bad storys on here but this one isnt stingy, this one has the marking of a pure chancer, and well done to him!!!!! LEGEND!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

stetyrrell wrote: »

It's the two spectrums of human intelligence on display. On the one hand huge initiative by your mate and audaciousness to come up with that. On the other hand, utter stupidity and neanderthalism by the girl to give over two boxes on that bs story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Motorist wrote: »
    On the other hand, utter stupidity and neanderthalism by the girl to give over two boxes on that bs story.
    The girls' job was no doubt to distribute as many packets of crisps as possible - why would they care if one person took a load of them?
    Maybe you should redirect your "stupid" accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ficheall wrote: »
    The girls' job was no doubt to distribute as many packets of crisps as possible - why would they care if one person took a load of them?

why didn't they just throw all the crisps away then?

the girls mightn't be stupid but certainly naive. If they considered not giving them to him in the first place obviously the cared if he was going to keep them himself

& why do you even care he called her stupid?

I dont think it was her job to distribute two boxes to one person. She may as well have just put them in the bin.

I will also direct my stupid accusation at someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

batistuta9 wrote: »
    & why do you even care he called her stupid?
    I believe that deserves do be countered with a "why do you even care if I care if he called her stupid?"
    why didn't they just throw all the crisps away then?
    Throwing away the food would be a completely dickish thing to do, and something they'd be more likely to get in trouble over.
    the girls mightn't be stupid but certainly naive.
    What's with the posters throwing stones from their glass houses this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I believe that deserves do be countered with a "why do you even care if I care if he called her stupid?"

Throwing away the food would be a completely dickish thing to do, and something they'd be more likely to get in trouble over.

What's with the posters throwing stones from their glass houses this evening?

I just wondered why you puck them up on it? curiosity just

well if the didn't care about giving 1 guy 2 boxes they could have just handed out the boxes till they were gone. Their bound to have a good idea they kept them for themselves & is probably one step above just throwing them away.

what are you talking about glass houses?

Handing 144 packs of crisps for free to one person was stupid and defeated the purpose of the promotion which would have been to reach as many possible with a free sample.

If she believed his story about 200 office workers, she was equally stupid.

If she did it to get rid of the crisps, she should have just binned them or taken them for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

...................:

That's Gross.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement