Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Or they could just buy it online...

and i dont have a problem with that

im just sick of them busting staffs balls over prices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The inaccuracies in the pump would mean that the actual amount of petrol you get could be 5c worth either way. Thats why I always put in 2c extra and I refuse to pay for it. Maybe I'm the stingey one

Lets face it. The technology is simple to regulate the amount of petrol you put into the car - but the garages refuse to use it - so if you intend to pay for €20 at the pump & go over a little, they are hoping you will keep going till you spend €30...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Was it really necessary for people to quote that essay in full three times? Not that I am being stingy with my bandwidth...

eoin wrote: »
    Was it really necessary for people to quote that essay in full three times? Not that I am being stingy with my bandwidth...

not happy with my essay?

hows your bandwitdh now? lol

lol that went over my head first time round

lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Yes it was very necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

not happy with my essay?
    *SNIP*
    hows your bandwitdh now? lol

Empty space surprisingly, does not take up much bandwidth.

oeb wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    i work in a petrol station and I never take the 1, 2 or 3 cent :)

but some guy last week got 10.05 and handed me a fifty and i asked him for a five cent and he was like i dont got one and i was like okee and gave him back 39.95, apparently it was the first time it ever happened to him and he was never coming back again but up his cause if you're paying for 10 euro petrol with a fifty i think u can afford 5 cent

:confused::confused:

What the fook language is that ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I work in a petrol station and I never bother asking them for the extra 1, 2 or 3 cent they might go over :)

But last week, some guy put 10.05 worth of petrol into his car, came into the shop and handed me a fifty euro note. I asked him did he have the five cent on him and he said "Sorry sir, but I do not have a 5 cent coin handy!" so I replied "Ok, not a bother." and handed him back 39.95. Apparently since it was the first time he had ever experienced something like this, he became very offended and said that he would never return to this shop again. But as far as I am concerned, he can stick it up his ass because my logic dictates that if you are paying for ten euro worth of petrol with a 50 euro note, then you can obviously afford the five cent.

Or something.

Here you go bantam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

eth0_ wrote: »
    A lot of cinemas make more profit from snacks and drinks than from the actual ticket sales. Ireland is particularly bad for ripping people off with cinema snacks though. Dead right to buy them in a shop before you go in, that's what I do!
    Cinemas more or less break even on ticket sales because of the distributors charges. Their profit is on the food/drink. Absolutely extortionate

I've heard of a bunch of lads going on a boat trip to collect $3 million and then drowning on the way back in a accident.Too cheap to get life jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've heard of a bunch of lads going on a boat trip to collect $3 million and then drowning on the way back in a accident.Too cheap to get life jackets.

That was the Somali pirates, they drowned on their way back with the money!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhsnmhsnauau/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

i hate those dirty cheap bastards who try to make you give them stuff for less than cost price or at no profit for the shop,its a joke

"i can get that in thailand for half the price"

well book ur flights

book your hotel

arrange where your kids are going to stay while youre gone

get to the airport on time

wait for hours

sit on plane for hours

catch a disease
    buy your stupid product

fly back for hours

wait for bags

sit waiting for aircoach

pick up smelly sick kids

get home

clean up burglar ****e from your sitting room floor

discover what you bought is a knock off....

THAT IS WHY YOUR LOCAL BUSINESS CHARGES A LITTLE MORE THAN IN THAILAND ETC

because we pay to import it

pay huge rent

pay rates

pay staff

pay for phone lines/broadband/electricity/advertising/marketing etc etc etc

THATS WHY YOU STUPID IGNORANT FAILURE OF A HUMAN BEING

dont haggle in shops

haggling is for car boot sales people

Catch a disese!! Just what are you selling in your shop?:eek:

fredzer wrote: »
    Catch a disese!! Just what are you selling in your shop?:eek:

Maybe he's selling colds.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Anyone catch "The hunt for Britain's Stingiest Person"?

I'm just about to put it on now. Hope it's worth watching...

Will report back.

P.S. Big shout out to the 98fm dj's. Dirty feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

:confused::confused:

What the fook language is that ??

face !

and all this talk about petrol pumps being rigged or whatever is a load of crap, i pump petrol for people 5 times a day and always have it perfect :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Lets face it. The technology is simple to regulate the amount of petrol you put into the car - but the garages refuse to use it - so if you intend to pay for €20 at the pump & go over a little, they are hoping you will keep going till you spend €30...
    amen
    on the continent you can find 24 hr automatic pumps in small towns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i worked in a pub a few years ago and in the morning the same few fellas would be in for their usual couple of pints. it wouldn't be too busy so i'd be chatting away to them. about three or four mornings in a row the same fella came in. he'd sit at the bar, open his paper, order a pint and ask me the right time, then he'd wind on the watch. after a few mornings i said to him 'i reckon it could be time you changed the watch, its not the mae west is it?'
    'no' he says, 'i pop out the winder every night to save the battery' ......then tapped his finger on the side of his nose a couple of times, winked at me and was back into his paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Girl I know in work bought the team a box of Roses one Friday.

"That''s nice" you'd think, until you noticed that she'd taken all the nice ones out for herself and shared them between herself and the manager! I swear to God, all the barrels and purple ones with the nuts in them......gone!
    That's just unatural ..some people are just so sick and twisted :mad:

There are some incidents best left forgotten but I still remember the school trip to Newry .I would have being about 11 years old and this guy who I was quite matey at the time with had a bottle of lemonade for the long trip .It was a hot summers day and I was parching with thirst so asked him could I have a swig of his Lemo .'' No way '' he said .I even offered to buy him a bottle soon as we got there but stingy swine was having none of it and I had to endure the hot journey ( no air conditioning them days ) gasping near point of dehydration :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Re: The Couples Drinks thing

Me and herself do that, but only if we're with other couples.

Round is costing more, but comes round each way more often. I buy her drinks, my mates buy the GFs drinks, just the way of things. If we're not with other couples, we stand to ourselves. Not because we don't want to get into rounds, but simply to avoid the "Oh your one person thing." But we will make this known before we start buying drinks.

I wouldn't class that as stingy.

The lad that paid for everything on CC after pocketing the cash AND tips is not stingy, he's a thief. Accost him. Burn his house. Belittle his hairstyle.

Let me see, stingy people i know...

I know a chap (used to live with him) that would only buy manky diet snack food so that we wouldn't eat it on him, but he'd happily tuck into our full fat stuff. That and he was a fat f**k anyway.

Nope, thats about it. I know thrifty (never thought I'd use that word) and money wise people, but no stingy people.

I know a guy that used to walk around picking up empty cans. I just used to think he was weird. Then he used the cans to buy a car and trailer, granted it was a junker Nova saloon, about 15 years ago. Still has it. Uses the car and trailer to collect more cans and transport them now. Don't think its stingy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Why would he pick up cans?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A mate of mine, more so desperate but sort of stingey too...

Whenever he's low on cash he runs around his Apt looking for cigarette butts, tries to get as much tobaco from them as possible and rolls it into cigarette paper...

the other week he was using Butts in his back garden

<<"

Drav!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Martly

Guy in my job is really mean, theres been loads of incidents but this one was the worst.
    There was a meal in a conference room one in day in aid of a chinese orphanage, all chinese food etc and so u give what u can at the end and the money goes to the charity, anyway, we had that and later on he was like " oh i never ate my sandwich, ah sure il have it tomorrow", which was a saturday, so instead of throwing away the manky looking tuna sandwich he would keep it and have it on the saturday!! Yuck! Plus i dont think he gave anything to the charity even after eating a big plate of food!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

dory wrote: »
    What? I don't believe that. How could anyone think that guy on the radio is better?? You can't even understand him.

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh is fantastic! We'd often mute the TV and carry the radio through to listen to the commentery from it instead, no problems with understanding him no matter what part of the country we were from! The TV commentators are dull, whereas Mícheál has such energy for the game and seems to know EVERYTHING about every player! We're talking encyclopedic knowledge of every player in the countrys entire career (inc childhood!). There'll never be another GAA commentator like him, so appreciate and enjoy his commentery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 joeybarton=hero

heres one for ya. you know all the sh**e gifts u get for Christmas like marks and spencers bodywash socks and pointless things like miniature jenga etc. well my mother will take note of who gave her these types of presents and she'll off load them to other relatives the following year !! one way to beat the recession eh??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

heres one for ya. you know all the sh**e gifts u get for Christmas like marks and spencers bodywash socks and pointless things like miniature jenga etc. well my mother will take note of who gave her these types of presents and she'll off load them to other relatives the following year !! one way to beat the recession eh??? :D
    Get rashes from most of those scented sh!tty giftsets that smell like rotting roses so offload them onto old aunts and such, saves me a fortune, and they love the stuff. That's smart not stingy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ebonyellie wrote: »
    On a different note it annoys me whenever i go into that little shop in busaras that sells crips & sandwiches and they have a little jar on the counter with "tips please" on it, tips for what?
    Some places will do this so that people don't hand tips to staff (for whatever reason) and complicating tills and "why is there money lieing around here?" questions from the boss.
    Random wrote: »
    What's wrong with getting a 10c tip? So what if you didn't get the 20c .. .at least you got something.
    I suspect the poster would have lived without the 10c tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

There, after three hours I've finally read this whole thread. Go me. I give it an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I stayed in a B+B of a family friend and she is ridiculously scabby. She puts one teabag in a pot for 5+ people. Also, we had breakfast one morning and my uncle didn't eat his fried tomato so the next morning his plate had a full fry on it....minus the fried tomato.

• Advertisement

There, after three hours I've finally read this whole thread. Go me. I give it an A.

That's stingy... an A+ at least! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement