Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Granny told me about her neighbour. When she was moving house she took the pipe out from the oil tank and used a frying pan to catch the oil and pour it into an array of containers!

Thank god she didn't use gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Once, I had finished my elevenses, and rather than discard the quail egg that was one too many, I spotted my chance to place it within the secret compartment of my double breasted jacket. Feeling frivolous at my actions, I wavered on placing it back on the plate, but I mustered up some choompah and I was out of there like a spencer at balmoral!
    By jove, the looks the chaps gave me at the regatta the next day when I recounted the story! There were bashings and whatnot and i thought i would never live it down! Oh what a fitful sight I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

retalivity wrote: »
    Once, I had finished my elevenses, and rather than discard the quail egg that was one too many, I spotted my chance to place it within the secret compartment of my double breasted jacket. Feeling frivolous at my actions, I wavered on placing it back on the plate, but I mustered up some choompah and I was out of there like a spencer at balmoral!
    By jove, the looks the chaps gave me at the regatta the next day when I recounted the story! There were bashings and whatnot and i thought i would never live it down! Oh what a fitful sight I was!

I done dat wif half a kebab.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

drink their own piss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

stetyrrell wrote: »
    That's not really scabby, that's just genius.

Even though he loved the crisps, could have more genius if he managed to flog them and made a few bob

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

hypermuse wrote: »
    went into apache with friends to avail of their "any pizza any size for €9.99" deal (think you can see where this is going)...

I paid with cash, €10 no change.. didnt really think anything of it even though its not the cashiers job to decide what amount of money I determine to be valuable/unwanted.

What me and my friends found funny is that the other lad paid by laser (as he didnt have cash on him) and they charged him €10!!! not €9.99!!

That was just cheeky!!

batistuta9 wrote: »
    not giving you the 1cent back was cheeky as well, even though you probably would have said keep it or charity boxed it

used my laser card to buy cigarettes in the shop one day & the girl told me that minimum purchases is supposed to be €10 otherwise the owner doesn't make anything - she gave them to me though, but said the owner probably wouldn't have.

could be why he was charged a tenner
    Yeah, that really annoys me as well, Apache Pizza in Wilton in COrk (near CIT) always does that. The last 3 r 4 times I've ordered I've been charged E10 for the 9.99 deal. Was always delivery, so the delivery guy says it's E10, it says it on the receipt too. I know it's only a cent, but think of how many shops there are, and how many orders they get a day/week. I'd say there making a fair bit of extra money off it. It'd be one thing if they forgot/didn't bother/didn't have the 1 cent to give you in change, but they're actually ringing up the pizzas on the tills as E10. Grr. Only reason I didn't say anything is because the delivery guy doesn't have anything to do with ringing up the receipt.

Hypermuse, what APache did you go to? Whether I've paid in cash or by card, they always ring it up as E10. Scoundrels, like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

split one coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

ash777 wrote: »
    Yeah, that really annoys me as well, Apache Pizza in Wilton in COrk (near CIT) always does that. The last 3 r 4 times I've ordered I've been charged E10 for the 9.99 deal. Was always delivery, so the delivery guy says it's E10, it says it on the receipt too. I know it's only a cent, but think of how many shops there are, and how many orders they get a day/week. I'd say there making a fair bit of extra money off it. It'd be one thing if they forgot/didn't bother/didn't have the 1 cent to give you in change, but they're actually ringing up the pizzas on the tills as E10. Grr. Only reason I didn't say anything is because the delivery guy doesn't have anything to do with ringing up the receipt.

Hypermuse, what APache did you go to? Whether I've paid in cash or by card, they always ring it up as E10. Scoundrels, like!

I'd rather let them keep the one cent, hate the cunts in the way in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

A mate of mine was walking through the Castlecourt Shopping Centre in Belfast one lunch time - just out for a walk on his break - when he reached one of the main entrances and found two young ladies, dressed in promotional gear, giving out packets of Walkers Crisps to passers by.

Given that he cleans his neck with brasso, he goes up and explains to the girls that he works in an office with over 200 members of staff, just nearby (true) and he'd be happy to take a couple of boxes of cheese 'n' onion flavour back to the office to give out - help the promotion for the brand.

Girls looked doubtful, but against their better judgement said OK and handed over two boxes - 144 packets.

Well, you guessed it - he loved Walkers cheese 'n' onion - he promptly raced around to the car, opened the boot and deposited the cache, and lived off those crisps at home, for months after!!

Dan, I hope you're proud of yourself!! :mad:
    legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

ash777 wrote: »

Was in Dame street Dublin.. Seems like they must be told to do it by the HQ..
    I'd rather let them keep the one cent, hate the cunts in the way in my pocket.

True but everybody has different values on money, despite its size. I woulda been much the same before, hate carrying all the change but with self service in Tesco now its grand.. Just unload all my change there. never builds up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Pre-Naggins.
    Mid-Naggins.
    End-Naggins.

And any other naggins you can snake into the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I know a person who dials your number and lets it ring once and hangs up before you get a chance to ring back so when you see a missed call from them and you ring them back. Sometimes if you ring them and you get the chance to answer they hang up on purpose half way throught the conversation and when you ring back they say 'oh I rang out of credit'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    I know a person who dials your number and lets it ring once and hangs up before you get a chance to ring back so when you see a missed call from them and you ring them back. Sometimes if you ring them and you get the chance to answer they hang up on purpose half way throught the conversation and when you ring back they say 'oh I rang out of credit'

Well if someone does that to me, I usually won't call them back. I just say if it's important they'll ring me back...

Mollyd90 wrote: »

i accidentally the whole post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

stetyrrell wrote: »
    That's not really scabby, that's just genius.

Nope it's plain old lying, dishonesty, selfishness and greed rolled into one. Watch out for mates like that. They'll be doing the exact same thing to you, chumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

My mother has the habit of asking for extra ketchup, salt, vinegar sachets when at restaurants

That, my friend, is not a restaurant, it is a diner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

ha ha love it, did you notice that the person using the app in the example had half an omlette and only paying for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Having a chat about stingy people the other night and I was reminded of this one.
    A friend of mine bought a house, he gutted the whole house and put new insulated slabs on the walls, he asked me would I do the plastering for him.
    Bare in mind at this stage that, I'm a full time student and at the time I was working in the local shop too. I agreed to do the plastering for him in between going to college and working in the shop. Anyway I gave him a list of the material I needed to do the job and because I hadn't been plastering in a couple of years, I misjudged the amount of material I needed, I left myself short a bag of filler.
    His father arrives in and I tell him, I need another bag. "how much will that cost?" "About €13" "Will you pick one up and I will give you the money for it tomorrow?" "No bother"
    Following day he arrives in "How much was it?" "€13" "Have you the receipt?"
    I couldn't believe my ears. I had to hand him the receipt before he gave me the money.
    Anyway, I finished the job which would have cost in the region of €3000 for labour. I text my "friend" to tell him that the job was finished. I didn't want to be paid for it but I hadn't told him that, I was thinking, when he tries to give me money, I would just refuse it and tell him, he could buy me a pint.
    2 weeks after I text him to tell him I was finished the job, I got a text saying thanks for doing the job and that was it, didn't offer me a penny and as I've said, I didn't want anything but it was the principal of not even offering.
    I don't really associate with this guy anymore, miserable fcuker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Having a chat about stingy people the other night and I was reminded of this one.
    A friend of mine bought a house, he gutted the whole house and put new insulated slabs on the walls, he asked me would I do the plastering for him.
    Bare in mind at this stage that, I'm a full time student and at the time I was working in the local shop too. I agreed to do the plastering for him in between going to college and working in the shop. Anyway I gave him a list of the material I needed to do the job and because I hadn't been plastering in a couple of years, I misjudged the amount of material I needed, I left myself short a bag of filler.
    His father arrives in and I tell him, I need another bag. "how much will that cost?" "About €13" "Will you pick one up and I will give you the money for it tomorrow?" "No bother"
    Following day he arrives in "How much was it?" "€13" "Have you the receipt?"
    I couldn't believe my ears. I had to hand him the receipt before he gave me the money.
    Anyway, I finished the job which would have cost in the region of €3000 for labour. I text my "friend" to tell him that the job was finished. I didn't want to be paid for it but I hadn't told him that, I was thinking, when he tries to give me money, I would just refuse it and tell him, he could buy me a pint.
    2 weeks after I text him to tell him I was finished the job, I got a text saying thanks for doing the job and that was it, didn't offer me a penny and as I've said, I didn't want anything but it was the principal of not even offering.
    I don't really associate with this guy anymore, miserable fcuker.

Around the part in bold I would have written "scabby ****" surrounded by swirls on the lovely smooth wall and let him pay another plasterer to fix it. At the very least you should go and p*ss in his letterbox, what a scabby scumbag. You're way better off not being friends with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

it was the principal of not even offering.
    Headmasters are notoriously stingy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Headmasters are notoriously stingy.;)

Burnt :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

There was this fella in collitch. He'd come in one day boasting that he got a cheque off his dad for 6,000e, or 16,000 I can't remember but it was a good bit. He'd show off this cheque to us, he got a couple of them throughout the year.

The same week he got the cheque he would come in a few days later saying 'has anyone got 2 cent, I need 2 cent to buy a bar of chocolate'. Other times it would be 10 or 20c he'd need to print pages (we had to pay to print stuff).

He'd regularly show his AIB online banking thing he'd be at it in the class and he'd start cribbing about how there was 'only _ euros in it' where _ was always a number between 4 and 20. The cheque would go into another account he didn't show us. He'd cribb about his lack of funds at every opportunity.

He had this ould heap of shoite of a car that hasn't seen a drop of maintainence since he got it. Engine is about to pack up cause it hasn't seen an oil change in 5 years. He ran this out of petrol several times

He dossed a whole week of college to save about 200e off a ticket even though he was way, way behind on everything.

This other lad gave him a load of lifts and actually spent a sh1tload of time helping him with all sorts of things, never gave him a cent for petrol or showed the slightest bit of appreciation.

Cheap earphones from Dealz were one of his favourites as well. He'd keep buying these even though they kept breaking instead of buying a proper pair.

There was other things he done as well, can't think of them now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

at the canteen in work one of the lads always takes home a few sachets of sugar. He does not take sugar in his tea / coffee, but his wife does. Thats mean. It means she never has to buy a bag of sugar though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

O yah, he had this pair of white slippers that he claimed cost him 2e, but later that went up to 6e.

He wore those everywhere but they were no good unless it was dry. A drop of rain or standing in a puddle would destroy them. He couldnt walk on anything but a flat dry surface but that didnt bother him cause the slippers only cost him 2e

eth0 wrote: »
    There was this fella in collitch.

gah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I googled collitch, thinking it was a place. :o

Anyway, I was working with a lad who was a member of the lunchbox brigade as he was too mean to go to shop. One day he arrives in for lunch with mouldy bread making up his sandwiches. When we pointed it out he said, "Sure if I just eat around it, it will be grand."

Another one was a story I heard about before I started working there. One of the lads wouldn't wash himself. The rest of them had to leave a bar of soap in the front of the van so he would get the hint. He'd take it home with him and come back in smelling a bit nicer.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I googled collitch, thinking it was a place. :o

Anyway, I was working with a lad who was a member of the lunchbox brigade as he was too mean to go to shop.

Nothing wrong with bringing a lunch to work with you. I did it all the time in my past jobs, coworkers would spent anywhere from 5-15 euro a day on food while I could spend 15 and have a weeks worth of healthy, tasty food. More fool you for assuming bring a lunch is being mean and as the saying goes a fool and his money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Nothing wrong with bringing a lunch to work with you. I did it all the time in my past jobs, coworkers would spent anywhere from 5-15 euro a day on food while I could spend 15 and have a weeks worth of healthy, tasty food. More fool you for assuming bring a lunch is being mean and as the saying goes a fool and his money...

I knew someone would pick up on that. That's why I mentioned the part about him being too mean to spend money in a shop. I've often brought sandwiches to work aswell.

I'll give you another story about him. We were working up in Dublin and he forgot to make his sandwiches the night before. He lives in a rural area so he drove out of his way to go to a shop and buy a roll that morning, probably so he wouldn't have to pay "Dublin prices".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement