Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

A colleague is stingy as hell,

I get lunch/snacks in the shop cause I never know what I want till im hungry, my lunch is usually about 5-10 Euro per day, but it's expensive because I'd have a full days food to cover 12/13 hour shift.

She would complain about the most silly thing, even about how much I pay, but lately she's becoming a right pain.

The thing that hit a nerve with me was we were going out for lunch and she suggested Eddie rockets, so we went in and right when we went to order she realised she forgot her purse, I said I'd cover it till we got back to work and she ordered 20euro of food, all fine till she had no cash with her in the office!?

So then she said we'd go for lunch next week and she would pay (not that I'd eat 20 of Eddie rockets food myself) but I thought grand.

Along came the next week and we were going out and when we parked she moaned and groaned about not wanting eddies, and suggested Mc Donalds, when we walked in the door all I got was hint after hint for eurosavers! Again we got to the till and she cracked opened her dusty purse and had 6 euro!

She ordered hers, then had the balls to ask me for a lend to get a mcflurry! Not a mention of the money she owed me.

Which over time when I total it up is approx 150euro! That's not including all of the time when I drive and pay for parking because her cars dirty!

Ugh ffs she aggravates me so much, I've played her at her own game a lot though, she doesn't like it at all and has gone and gotten herself lunch and takeaway without even offering only to say oh.. I forgot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bfocusd wrote: »
    A colleague is stingy as hell,

I get lunch/snacks in the shop cause I never know what I want till im hungry, my lunch is usually about 5-10 Euro per day, but it's expensive because I'd have a full days food to cover 12/13 hour shift.

She would complain about the most silly thing, even about how much I pay, but lately she's becoming a right pain.

The thing that hit a nerve with me was we were going out for lunch and she suggested Eddie rockets, so we went in and right when we went to order she realised she forgot her purse, I said I'd cover it till we got back to work and she ordered 20euro of food, all fine till she had no cash with her in the office!?

So then she said we'd go for lunch next week and she would pay (not that I'd eat 20 of Eddie rockets food myself) but I thought grand.

Along came the next week and we were going out and when we parked she moaned and groaned about not wanting eddies, and suggested Mc Donalds, when we walked in the door all I got was hint after hint for eurosavers! Again we got to the till and she cracked opened her dusty purse and had 6 euro!

She ordered hers, then had the balls to ask me for a lend to get a mcflurry! Not a mention of the money she owed me.

Which over time when I total it up is approx 150euro! That's not including all of the time when I drive and pay for parking because her cars dirty!

Ugh ffs she aggravates me so much, I've played her at her own game a lot though, she doesn't like it at all and has gone and gotten herself lunch and takeaway without even offering only to say oh.. I forgot..

drop her like a hot snot

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

why would you let it build up to 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

im talking over a year or so, im not greedy with money either, id still do the same with others, but id wouldnt even think about not being repaid if it was a loan. it would just be natural as it is with everyone else i know.

i would never get money off someone and never pay it back. but i guess money means a lot more to some people than it does to me, id rather have fun and be relaxed about it rather than scab off someone because i dont want to put petrol in my car. i just dont understand it, if you dont have the money walk to the shop, get some fresh air, but she would never in a million years even consider walking to the shop with me, shed rather if i drove her..

ive lent people enough to cover their mortgage and car payments because they were stuck, i know they would do the same for me if necessary and they re-paid me too, so why she has an issue with avoiding paying back 20 euro for lunch i dont know, i wouldnt mind before when she was buying it herself she wouldnt spend max 10 euro and would bring a drink with her.. so i think it was a scam all along really...

she visits her friends and familys homes often so she can fill up on food, and go off home knowing she doesnt have to cook a dinner and spend money!!

oh well, you live and you learn, shes lost out on my kindness anyway, shes in dyer need of 600 to fix her motor and she can kiss my ass all she wants but no moneys going to come out of it with the attitude that she has. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

a few of the lads i was in college with went inter railing one summer around Europe. they would eat out a lot while they were away anyway they'd get the bill and say it was 53 euro and there were 6 they'd throw in a tenner each and leave a tip. one of the lads would 'look after' the money and work it so he would only have to put in a fraction of what he should and leave no tip so like 2euro in that example

he's a tight fisted miserable bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

bdoo wrote: »
    a few of the lads i was in college with went inter railing one summer around Europe. they would eat out a lot while they were away anyway they'd get the bill and say it was 53 euro and there were 6 they'd throw in a tenner each and leave a tip. one of the lads would 'look after' the money and work it so he would only have to put in a fraction of what he should and leave no tip so like 2euro in that example

he's a tight fisted miserable bastard.

If I were one of the other guys I would consider that stealing money, from me, and call him on it very harshly

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

I used to live with a friend and anytime the heating was turned on, he would leave the house because he wouldnt pay towards the oil and therefore didn't want to avail of the heat!

Another time I was organising a surprise party for my friend and myself and another friend bought decorations for the venue, the next day she asked me could she get the money back off of me that she had spent on decorations (no more than about €7), even though this was her best friend too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I used to live with a friend and anytime the heating was turned on, he would leave the house because he wouldnt pay towards the oil and therefore didn't want to avail of the heat!

I never tolerated stuff like then when I was sharing houses. All bills split equally between all people, kitty for milk, jacks roll, cleaning supplies etc etc. Otherwise people just take advantage of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I keep bringing in my own lunch every day and some clown in the office thinks I'm stingy. I eat nicer food than he does and he spends 25-50 euro a week on processed chicken that the deli worker wiped his arse with before serving :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

bijapos wrote: »

I never tolerated stuff like then when I was sharing houses. All bills split equally between all people, kitty for milk, jacks roll, cleaning supplies etc etc. Otherwise people just take advantage of others.
    +1 on that. If you can't share go back home to mammy!!! Tight mammy's boy. Threw many a stingy ****er out back in my student days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Today, in the rain, I saw some bloke bend over to pick something up off the footpath. At first glance I thought he'd probably dropped something but no, he was picking up old, used scratchcards and checking them. He dropped them back on the footpath when he was finished.

Yeah, coz people generally throw away winning tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

A friend who I haven't seen in about 15 years,messaged me on facebook,we exchanged phone numbers, adresses etc

Two days later his sister, whom I haven't seen for even longer arrives at my door at 10pm,with her daughter who made her Communion that day...

FFS like :rolleyes:

pebbles21 wrote: »
    A friend who I haven't seen in about 15 years,messaged me on facebook,we exchanged phone numbers, adresses etc

Two days later his sister, whom I haven't seen for even longer arrives at my door at 10pm,with her daughter who made her Communion that day...

i hope you said congrats and gave nothing :confused:

bluewolf wrote: »
    i hope you said congrats and gave nothing :confused:

No felt i was guilted into giving her €20

no way!!!! :eek:

i woulda given them a cup of tea at most then sent them on their way

They refused the tea,only way i could get rid,was to flash the cash,fcukers,..some people have some neck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I wouldn't have given her a penny, I'm not mean, but in this situation, I would've grown a brass neck just like them and told them where to go. I think anger would have built up over the sheer cheek of it and I probably would have said something that I'd regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I would have pretended not to recognise her and closed the door in her face. 10PM ffs, that child should be at home in bed not out begging for money.

I wouldn't have given her a penny, I'm not mean but in this situation, I would've grown a brass neck just like them and told them where to go. I think anger would have built up over the sheer cheek of it and I probably would have said something I regretted.
    phasers wrote: »
    I would have pretended not to recognise her and closed the door in her face. 10PM ffs, that child should be at home in bed not out begging for money.

I know,I know ....just caught on the hop...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

You are too decent for your own good. When you meet vermin like that, you need to become as bad as them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Oh yeah, that reminds me Pebbles, my niece made her Communion a few weeks ago.... It was a lovely service... She's okay with cheques if you haven't got any cash on you, most people have been giving €30, cheers. :)

Nephew's is next week, here you can save the price of stamp if you send the two of them together.

Oh yeah, that reminds me Pebbles, my niece made her Communion a few weeks ago.... It was a lovely service... She's okay with cheques if you haven't got any cash on you, most people have been giving €30, cheers. :)

Nephew's is next week, here you can save the price of stamp if you send the two of them together.

Send me a pic of the dress and shoes and ill send you on a cheque :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Hope you kicked them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I have quite a few stingey relatives on my Dad's side. His cousin and the wife are notoriously tight. Their kids are my age and older and I remember Christmases when we were growing up, and we'd always go to their house on boxing day: myself and my siblings would have gotten a few bits from Santa - while we were by no means spoiled, we'd each have say one big present and a few smaller things, or say a few Barbies and dolls or whatever - you know; meanwhile the cousin my age would have gotten say, one doll. And it wouldn't be a Baby Born or anything like that. The kind of doll you get for a tenner in a toy shop. I remember the older kids in the family as well paying for their own school books rental every September out of their summer job money, from the age of about 15.

My aunt is tight as feck as well, but she's gotten the shock of her life now that her kids are getting bigger and they're not letting her away with it! My little cousin's 8th birthday two years ago, she actually threw him a party and let him invite his school buddies, and the "spread" was a plate with some digestives on it, a bowl of onion rings and a packet of haribo in a bowl.

My uncle is by far the worst - his wife is only there four evenings a week, and on the other days he has a system of arriving at everyone else's house at their mealtimes and getting a free meal. He knows that my dad comes into the house for a big breakfast everyday at 11am; my other uncle has lunch at 1pm; and my granny makes dinner for 5pm; so all he has to do is make himself a cup of tea in the morning and at bedtime.
    His presents are notoriously tight as well - I once got a belt for my birthday, with the tag still on it - €2 from Penneys. My 21st birthday - a handshake. Last Christmas he split a multipack of sports socks between my brother and sister. When my aunt moved into her new house, my dad tried to organise each sibling and partner giving €50 towards a really good present, and he said that it was ridiculous and a tenner each would be more than sufficient!
    Best bit is - this fella goes on three foreign holidays a year!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok, i have a gross one. So anyone who is easily grossed out, skip now.

I saw a relative changing the nappy of their child... a disposable nappy. They scrapped the poop out with a wipe, and put the nappy right back on them.

AGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

pwurple wrote: »
    Ok, i have a gross one. So anyone who is easily grossed out, skip now.

I saw a relative changing the nappy of their child... a disposable nappy. They scrapped the poop out with a wipe, and put the nappy right back on them.

AGH!
    Had that on here before. Where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

The Cool wrote: »
    I remember the older kids in the family as well paying for their own school books rental every September out of their summer job money, from the age of about 15.

Hearing stories like that really sadden me. I honestly can't fathom how a parent could be so selfish when it comes to their children, especially about their education. I wonder do these people feel guilty later in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Yes, should have invited her in for tea. But then, after 40 minutes of chat, ask her if there was anything she wanted. Then if she said she wanted money, ask her to send you an invoice. Then if she actually did send an invoice, ask her to send a revised invoice that deducted the cost of the tea. Then have a laugh when she posts the tale up on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

This one always stuck with me, about 15 years ago I was in the car with my mother and we stopped to get petrol, pulled up to the pumps and the owner of the garage comes over to the window, she asks him for ten pounds of petrol and gives him a tenner. He pumps it and closes the petrol cap on the car and we are about to drive off but then he taps at the window, so my mother rolls down the window and he says "You owe me a penny I've gone over a bit" We laugh thinking he is joking, but no he is actually being serious! So she says "It's only a penny for gods sake and you pumped it!" He says "doesnt matter, you still owe me" She then tells him the tenner was the only cash she had on her and he says "right I will get it off you next time you are in then" We drive off as she mutters "you will me arse" under her breath.

His business has since gone tits up and we have to live with the guilt of never giving him that penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

An almost stingy thing if I hadn't told her to feck right off. I've shag all food in at the moment and having leftovers from yesterdays dinner. We just arrived home and I've my dinner in the fridge ready to be heated up. The missus goes nosying in the fridge:

Her:thats looks yummy, can I grab a bite of it?
    Me: Erm, aren't you going in to meet the girls for dinner in about a half hour?
    Her: Eh yeah, I just wanted a bite feck sake!
    Me: There's f*ck all of it and I have nothing else in to eat... you're going for a big slap up restaurant meal and you want some of mine before you go?
    Her: OMG, I just wanted to taste a bit of it I'm hungry.

Apparently she couldn't wait the half hour because I went back out to the kitchen and she's eating a sandwich she had in her handbag.... wtf.

I swear, my missus would eat the ****ing hand off ya if you didn't have any wrists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement