Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

who_me wrote: »
    One of my colleagues - a noted miser - looked on in horror. He pulled out the tenner, pocketed it, and replaced with a fiver and walked out the door.

So he robbed a fiver from the waiting staff and didn't give you any back? That's more than miserly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It IS more than miserly. It is stealing money directly out of the pockets of the waiters/waitresses who the tip was intended for.

My own brother is terrible about doing that. My sister and I know from experience to hand the money for the bill plus tip to the waiter as soon as possible. We don't just leave it all on the table and walk away. If we do, he is guaranteed to dip into it saying he needs "change" to pay for parking or motorway tolls or whatever. He is one of those annoying people who never carries cash on him, just plastic, so he is always touching people up for a few bob here and a few bob there. It is never a big enough amount at the time to kick up a stink over it, but over time it really adds up !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Was at the express checkout in SuperQuinn getting some Double Stuff Oreos. An old guy next to me has his stuff checked through and 2 plastic bags in his hands. He calls over the attendant and declares: "I'm not paying for one of these bags since I accidently paid for two yesterday."
    The attendant didn't know what to do, muttered something and wandered off.
    I nearly broke down laughing and made a swift getaway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was at lunch with workmates one time; and when we went to pay I put €10 in the tip bowl (a couple of others didn't have any change, so I made up the difference as we were regulars and knew the staff well).

One of my colleagues - a noted miser - looked on in horror. He pulled out the tenner, pocketed it, and replaced with a fiver and walked out the door.
    Ask him for your change.

Anything other then the production of a fiver is theft, the only question was whether it was from you or the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Was at lunch with workmates one time; and when we went to pay I put €10 in the tip bowl (a couple of others didn't have any change, so I made up the difference as we were regulars and knew the staff well). One of my colleagues - a noted miser - looked on in horror. He pulled out the tenner, pocketed it, and replaced with a fiver and walked out the door.
    Ask him for your change. Anything other then the production of a fiver is theft, the only question was whether it was from you or the staff.
    indeed can't stand stinges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

My colleague today nabbed me to pick up lunch, she never ever ever offers, but sticks her nose in as soon as im walking out the door.

She stood waiting when I got back for her 16 cent change.. I paid with a 20 and put the change into the car. So I had no money on me.. I had to f#cking walk out to the car and get her the change!!!!!!
    I was on the verge of saying sorry I thought you'd want to put that towards my petrol cost, she wouldn't be long walking her stingey ass to the shop to save her poxy 16cent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

bfocusd wrote: »
    My colleague today nabbed me to pick up lunch, she never ever ever offers, but sticks her nose in as soon as im walking out the door.

She stood waiting when I got back for her 16 cent change.. I paid with a 20 and put the change into the car. So I had no money on me.. I had to f#cking walk out to the car and get her the change!!!!!!
    I was on the verge of saying sorry I thought you'd want to put that towards my petrol cost, she wouldn't be long walking her stingey ass to the shop to save her poxy 16cent!

mean aul cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ask him for your change.

Anything other then the production of a fiver is theft, the only question was whether it was from you or the staff.

To be fair, we gave him an unmerciful roasting over it. So much so, he finally twigged we weren't just winding him up but that we genuinely thought he was unnaturally tight with money. And he did make an effort to change.

Not bad value, for a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

bfocusd wrote: »

I know what I would have said to her about the 16 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Was at the express checkout in SuperQuinn getting some Double Stuff Oreos. An old guy next to me has his stuff checked through and 2 plastic bags in his hands. He calls over the attendant and declares: "I'm not paying for one of these bags since I accidently paid for two yesterday."
    The attendant didn't know what to do, muttered something and wandered off.
    I nearly broke down laughing and made a swift getaway.
    damn... i see people picking up the bags from the stand and then pulling off the tags and telling the checkout staff that it is their own bag... Or when asked if they want a bag they'll say no..their stuff is scanned through and paid for then they go "ah throw us out an aul bag there" and the checkout person does it and the customer gets them to put the stuff into the bag and then just walks off without paying for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

There's someone on ads.ie at the moment, selling a leftover 1/2 bag of skimcoat plaster. I take my hat off to them, that is the stingiest thing I have seen in a while. Best of all, they're looking for a tenner for it. Just.how.mean.do.you.need.to.be?? It doesn't keep anyway, it's like selling a half pint of stale milk. Maybe it's just me, but my mind boggles at how tight you'd have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

A friend of mine asked me to accompany her on a trip to Cork. She was moving for college and asked me to go with her for the journey "so she wouldn't fall asleep" and help her unpack the car. I was unemployed at the time so was glad for something to do. Drove down, waited for her landlord who was 1 and a half hours late, unpacked boxes and bags, and then drove back. She asked me for petrol money. If we had made a day of it, and did something down there, went for lunch or something, I wouldn't mind. But I was doing her a favour. The tip always disappears when we're eating out too. Can't stand stingy gits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

A friend of mine asked me to accompany her on a trip to Cork. She was moving for college and asked me to go with her for the journey "so she wouldn't fall asleep" and help her unpack the car. I was unemployed at the time so was glad for something to do. Drove down, waited for her landlord who was 1 and a half hours late, unpacked boxes and bags, and then drove back. She asked me for petrol money. If we had made a day of it, and did something down there, went for lunch or something, I wouldn't mind. But I was doing her a favour. The tip always disappears when we're eating out too. Can't stand stingy gits!
    Give her a tip: "Don't move back"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

anyways a guy in my class had a serious headache one day in class and the school wont give him any penicillin, they say they are 'legally not allowed'

Well it would be true that they are legally not allowed, as penicillin is an antibiotic and should only be bought from a doctors prescription.

My landlord refused to fix my heating last winter, it was just the light in the switch was out so it wouldn't turn on. He kept saying the man to fix it couldn't come out till the new year, and sure wasn't I grand I'd only 2 weeks left in college. I knew full well the stingy fcuk a. didn't want to pay the repair bills in case it would effect it Christmas salary, and b. wanted to save on winter heating costs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Used to work in a nightclub about 5 years ago, on a normal night I would be serving or picking up glasses and washing them, but there was the odd night where I got stuck with cloak room duty so just had to take coats, hoodies, handbags etc...and charge €3 per item.

Got this guy at the counter and he hands me an expensive and heavily layered coat. He pays the €3 and walks off.

I go to hang the coat and notice there's 2 other coats stuffed in perfectly, sleeves and all and a handbag visibly sticking out of an inside pocket of one of the inner jackets.

Snakey Bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Used to work in a nightclub about 5 years ago, on a normal night I would be serving or picking up glasses and washing them, but there was the odd night where I got stuck with cloak room duty so just had to take coats, hoodies, handbags etc...and charge €3 per item.

Ah well, when it's €3 per item the cost can rack up! Some cloakrooms are extortionate with their prices. I wouldn't be as bad as the guy you described but I've often stuffed a scarf into the arm of a jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cloak rooms that charge are the stingeyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Got this guy at the counter and he hands me an expensive and heavily layered coat. He pays the €3 and walks off.

I go to hang the coat and notice there's 2 other coats stuffed in perfectly, sleeves and all and a handbag visibly sticking out of an inside pocket of one of the inner jackets.

Snakey Bastard!
    I was at a charity night once and arrived around 8pm to help out. Left my jacket in the cloakroom, there was no one there. When I came back at the end of the night to get it they wanted £3 for looking after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

That Communion story reminds me, I was in A&E last Sunday week with my friend and a lady came in with her daughter (I assume) who had on her communion dress, the little girl had hurt her arm or something and the mother was sitting beside a lady and I heard her ask would she give the child a few bob for her communion.. I was in shock, if she'd asked me I'd have decked her! Balls of steel..

I remember the gypsies going round the doors with a girl in a communion dress looking money. My twin cousins had their communion the same day and my auntie joked that she would hand them a fiver and ask for 2 fivers back.
    Really she just didn't answer the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

This person is by far the cheapest person I have ever met. She would totally weazel her way out of paying for the smallest of things. An absolute cheapskate.

Both of us were waiting for food in a sandwich shop just after ordering. She turned to me and said she was going across the road to get a drink because they were too expensive there. I didn't have a problem with that and I gave her money to get me a bottle of coke. She arrived back with one bottle in her hand and a stupid smile on her face, opened the bottle, took a drink out of it and gave it to me and said ''here, we can share it'' not mentioning the money I just gave her or the drink she was suppose to get. What a freak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Snakey Bastard!

In a world of rip offs a plenty you sometimes gotta fight your corner. Same reason i never begrudge anyone who steals a pint glass. You practically bought it anyway

face1990 wrote: »
    Ah well, when it's €3 per item the cost can rack up! Some cloakrooms are extortionate with their prices. I wouldn't be as bad as the guy you described but I've often stuffed a scarf into the arm of a jacket.

Yeah I agree that €3 is a bit pricey but the guy was taking the piss by stuffing 2 other jackets in with it and a handbag in with. I have had the case where a guy would hand in a jacket with a hoody inside and I was flexible and took it as I made a good bit as the club would have between 400 and 600 people on a busy night.

In the case of the jacket with the extra 2 jackets and a handbag he should have cut his losses and asked could he put 2 on one hanger and and the other jacket and the handbag on another hanger, which would have been €6. Instead of a possible €12 as I was really supposed to charge per item. I don't know if the club manager would have been flexible about me doing that but I didn't bring it up to him, The cloakroom was making decent money anyway and I didn't get too many people that did that to begin with. Most customers did complain about the charge, I always agreed with them and said "Can't do anything about it, sorry!:D

In a world of rip offs a plenty you sometimes gotta fight your corner. Same reason i never begrudge anyone who steals a pint glass. You practically bought it anyway

Oh yeah, I have nothing against anyone stealing a pint glass, have done it a few times myself. I agree that its a rip off but that was the policy of the place. The till I had was set to 3 euro a pop so if I charged people less I'd be given a bollocking over it. I remember with every 4th or 5th customer I got they complained about the price and tried to bargain me down and I had to show them the piece of junk ticket machine under my counter and it prints out a read at the end of the night. So its set at 3 euro. Then they had to pay up or I agreed to hang at most 2 items on a hanger, that way they are happy. Any more than 2 I deemed as taking the piss. I know its expensive in nightclubs but that's Ireland for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Yeah I agree that €3 is a bit pricey but the guy was taking the piss by stuffing 2 other jackets in with it and a handbag in with. I have had the case where a guy would hand in a jacket with a hoody inside and I was flexible and took it as I made a good bit as the club would have between 400 and 600 people on a busy night.

In the case of the jacket with the extra 2 jackets and a handbag he should have cut his losses and asked could he put 2 on one hanger and and the other jacket and the handbag on another hanger, which would have been €6. Instead of a possible €12 as I was really supposed to charge per item. I don't know if the club manager would have been flexible about me doing that but I didn't bring it up to him, The cloakroom was making decent money anyway and I didn't get too many people that did that to begin with. Most customers did complain about the charge, I always agreed with them and said "Can't do anything about it, sorry!:D

Cloakrooms are an absolute rip off, they should be free if you're paying into a night club and paying for overpriced drinks also.

I applaud the actions of the guy with the three jackets and a handbag. I'd say he was schweatin' going home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I agree the guy was stingy putting 4 items on 1 hanger, but I totally disagree with paying to leave your jacket in a cloakroom. You probably have to pay around a tenner to get into a club and then put up with crappy pints the least you can expect is free cloakroom service. I think the stingy folks here are the club.

Having said that, there is a club in my home town, that apparently make enough money on a big nigh on cloakroom fees to pay all their staff for the night.

My mams friend is mad tight & when they are out in a bar/cafe/restaurant she makes her husband rob the sugar/salt/pepper (where available). He then has to decant them into jar/shaker when he gets home

poor fcuker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Pantsface wrote: »
    My mams friend is mad tight & when they are out in a bar/cafe/restaurant she makes her husband rob the sugar/salt/pepper (where available). He then has to decant them into jar/shaker when he gets home

poor fcuker

He should man up a bit and tell her to fcuk off. Tell him to grow a pair next time she tries that on him. :rolleyes:

bijapos wrote: »
    He should man up a bit and tell her to fcuk off. Tell him to grow a pair next time she tries that on him. :rolleyes:

too late for that now - he lost his balls a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Pantsface wrote: »
    too late for that now - he lost his balls a long time ago

His wife sold them on donedeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Myself and a couple of the lads decided to go to Wicklow last week on a 'banter trip' in my car.

Were having the bant' and arrived at the petrol station in Bray when I asked all the lads for a fiver each. Of course I wouldn't do this normally but they insisted that if I drove them out to Wicklow they'd give me a tenner each and I told them only wanted a fiver.

So three of the lads gave me their fiver and I knew I would be short so I put in a tenner myself.

But my "mate"(actually this stingy fcuker that i barely know from another of the lads) decided to announce he had no money, after buying himself a pizza and that it was his birthday so he presumed he was okay for a free trip.:mad:

We all sat in silence as i had already filled the tank up including his dosh and all my money was gone.So I said to the lad in the garage I was awfully sorry and I dropped the lads home. Ran out of petrol on the way into school the next day nearly missed my mock irish oral...needless to say he's not coming on any more trips...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement