Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Cloakrooms are an absolute rip off, they should be free if you're paying into a night club and paying for overpriced drinks also.

I applaud the actions of the guy with the three jackets and a handbag. I'd say he was schweatin' going home though.

I don't mind the cost, except for when they make me pay it. It's one having having the option to leave a jacket there, but when they charge you €10 in and then tell you that you have to check your jacket too, that's just irritating. Especially when you have to spend 15 minutes queuing to get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

FionnK86 wrote: »

We all sat in silence as i had already filled the tank up including his dosh and all my money was gone.So I said to the lad in the garage I was awfully sorry and I dropped the lads home. Ran out of petrol on the way into school the next day nearly missed my mock irish oral...needless to say he's not coming on any more trips...:(

So did you fill it up or not?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Myself and a couple of the lads decided to go to Wicklow last week on a 'banter trip' in my car...

... Ran out of petrol on the way into school the next day nearly missed my mock irish oral...needless to say he's not coming on any more trips...:(

I call Bullsh*t.

Stingy with the truth or what! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

If you're going to make up a story, don't have numerous glaring inconsistencies in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

. Ran out of petrol on the way into school the next day nearly missed my mock irish oral...needless to say he's not coming on any more trips...:(
    A mock irish oral in July?! I think your school may have got things a little bit backwards,the mocks are before the exams not after.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Not so much stingey as clever but still wanted to share:

In the Czech Republic, the KFC's give you free refills and free wifi.

Clearly knowing this, one day when I was in there, I saw four students walk in and grab a table in the corner. The all took out their laptops and set them up. One went up to the counter and came back with two sandwiches and a drink. They split the sandwiches in half and ate a bit each then all took turns to have a sip of Coke.

When they finished, the guy who'd gone up to the counter, went back for a refill and then returned to the table and passed it around. This went on for about the ten minutes that I was in there and I imagine continued for a while after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I have nothing against anyone stealing a pint glass, have done it a few times myself. I agree that its a rip off but that was the policy of the place. The till I had was set to 3 euro a pop so if I charged people less I'd be given a bollocking over it. I remember with every 4th or 5th customer I got they complained about the price and tried to bargain me down and I had to show them the piece of junk ticket machine under my counter and it prints out a read at the end of the night. So its set at 3 euro. Then they had to pay up or I agreed to hang at most 2 items on a hanger, that way they are happy. Any more than 2 I deemed as taking the piss. I know its expensive in nightclubs but that's Ireland for ya!

So your all for enforcing a ridicuous rule of charging customers €3 per item but your more then happy to watch drunk customers stroll out the door with glass, I'd say your manager would be pleased to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I have nothing against anyone stealing a pint glass, have done it a few times myself. I agree that its a rip off but that was the policy of the place. The till I had was set to 3 euro a pop so if I charged people less I'd be given a bollocking over it. I remember with every 4th or 5th customer I got they complained about the price and tried to bargain me down and I had to show them the piece of junk ticket machine under my counter and it prints out a read at the end of the night. So its set at 3 euro. Then they had to pay up or I agreed to hang at most 2 items on a hanger, that way they are happy. Any more than 2 I deemed as taking the piss. I know its expensive in nightclubs but that's Ireland for ya!
    So your all for enforcing a ridicuous rule of charging customers €3 per item but your more then happy to watch drunk customers stroll out the door with glass, I'd say your manager would be pleased to hear that.
    Screw the manager. These business practices are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I know someone who shops at the weekend and when he passes the fruit and veg section he lifts 5 extra plastic bags.

1 bag for his Monday packed lunch at work , 1 for Tuesday ... etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Choochtown wrote: »
    I know someone who shops at the weekend and when he passes the fruit and veg section he lifts 5 extra plastic bags.
    How is that stingy?
    Shops are obliged to charge 22c on the bag unless it is expicitly used for loose fruit&veg or at the meat/fish counter. Obviously he pays this at the checkout. Otherwise he's just stealing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

snubbleste wrote: »
    How is that stingy?
    Shops are obliged to charge 22c on the bag unless it is expicitly used for loose fruit&veg or at the meat/fish counter. Obviously he pays this at the checkout. Otherwise he's just stealing them.

22c?...there is your stingey story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

How is that stingy?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Maybe he sextuple bags his fruit & veg instead of double bagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Check out the "left something in the trolley" thread for more ideas. Seanie Fitz and Quin available for further tips on leaving the bill to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Cloak rooms that charge are the stingeyness.

Damn right ! I got charged 50 cent for my cloakroom ticket in Germany and could put as much onto the hanger as it would bear.

Nightclub owners have no excuses. Unlike with alcohol, there are no punitive taxes on cloakroom tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

Kolido wrote: »
    Having said that, there is a club in my home town, that apparently make enough money on a big nigh on cloakroom fees to pay all their staff for the night.

Doesn't Copper face Jacks not reportedly earn €250,000 a year from just the cloak room alone? Some money to be made in storing peoples coats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

mrwhimwham wrote: »
    Kolido wrote: »
    Having said that, there is a club in my home town, that apparently make enough money on a big nigh on cloakroom fees to pay all their staff for the night.

Doesn't Copper face Jacks not reportedly earn €250,000 a year from just the cloak room alone? Some money to be made in storing peoples coats!
    And I doubt the wages bill of the poor slaves working there comes to that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

mutley18 wrote: »
    This one always stuck with me, about 15 years ago I was in the car with my mother and we stopped to get petrol, pulled up to the pumps and the owner of the garage comes over to the window, she asks him for ten pounds of petrol and gives him a tenner. He pumps it and closes the petrol cap on the car and we are about to drive off but then he taps at the window, so my mother rolls down the window and he says "You owe me a penny I've gone over a bit" We laugh thinking he is joking, but no he is actually being serious! So she says "It's only a penny for gods sake and you pumped it!" He says "doesnt matter, you still owe me" She then tells him the tenner was the only cash she had on her and he says "right I will get it off you next time you are in then" We drive off as she mutters "you will me arse" under her breath.

His business has since gone tits up and we have to live with the guilt of never giving him that penny.

tbf the margins on petrol are/were tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

InReality wrote: »
    tbf the margins on petrol are/were tiny.

Thats were the convenience store comes in, can't imagine the margins are tiny in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Choochtown

How is that stingy?

Clear thin plastic bags at the fruit and veg section on a roll dispenser.
    I thought they were free?

• Advertisement

Only when they're full of food. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Only when they're full of food. ;)

I like to gently pack each grape separate so their is no squashing of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What a great thread, I started it yesterday and am no where near finished but I've been trying to think of my own stingy memories.

I spent time living in Asia with two friends and we got aquainted with two French lads. There werent many westerners where we were so we met up with them every week or two and did something that usually ended in the pub for a few drinks. I would buy a round for all followed by both my friends. As we'd be finishing the third there wouldnt be a stir from the French lads. The first time it just didnt happen and I actually think I bought another round. These lads werent going home, or out of cash, they just werent buying us back.

This happened three times in a row. I think one time we let it wait a while to see would they act...and they did...to buy themselves one. It wasnt before time that I told my friends I wouldnt be seen dead with them again. I would have told them what I thought of them had I been a little drunker, but I never was because of them!

I dont think its a cultural issue, there are people in all countries and societies that behave like this, but as I've read this thread I find myself asking how or why someone could openly do some of these things? I think each and every one of them must suffer severe insecurity, that they could end up out of pocket to the benefit of someone else. I think that inside they do feel bad but they'd rather have the money than come off second best - not that they even would in most instances!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

What a great thread, I started it yesterday and am no where near finished but I've been trying to think of my own stingy memories.

I spent time living in Asia with two friends and we got aquainted with two French lads. There werent many westerners where we were so we met up with them every week or two and did something that usually ended in the pub for a few drinks. I would buy a round for all followed by both my friends. As we'd be finishing the third there wouldnt be a stir from the French lads. The first time it just didnt happen and I actually think I bought another round. These lads werent going home, or out of cash, they just werent buying us back.

This happened three separate occasions in a row. I think one time we let it wait a while to see would they act...and they did...to buy themselves one. It wasnt before time that I told my friends I wouldnt be seen dead with them again. I would have told them what I thought of them had I been a little drunker, but I never was because of them!

I dont think its a cultural issue, there are people in all countries and societies that behave like this, but as I've read this thread I find myself asking how or why someone could openly do some of these things? I think each and every one of them must suffer severe insecurity, that they could end up out of pocket to the benefit of someone else. I think that inside they do feel bad but they'd rather have the money than come off second best - not that they even would in most instances!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Was at the express checkout in SuperQuinn getting some Double Stuff Oreos. An old guy next to me has his stuff checked through and 2 plastic bags in his hands. He calls over the attendant and declares: "I'm not paying for one of these bags since I accidently paid for two yesterday."
    The attendant didn't know what to do, muttered something and wandered off.
    I nearly broke down laughing and made a swift getaway.

In fairness to him, Superquinn and supermarkets like it are the stingy ones who won't employ a flucking human to scan your shopping. I wouldn't mind except when you want to buy a restricted item, need an over ride, and theres no staff to be seen anywhere.

The same applies when you need something voided, or "checking item weight, please weight for assistance".

The guy was dead right, I wouldn't have bothered announcing it though. In Superquinn they ask did you use any bags, you can hit yes and then it can scan again easily enough. No point wasting several minutes waiting to find staff to void one of the bags for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Only free when used for packing food from that section or similar off the counter sections like the deli or butchery...not for packs of biccies etc :P
    Motorist wrote: »
    In fairness to him, Superquinn and supermarkets like it are the stingy ones who won't employ a flucking human to scan your shopping. I wouldn't mind except when you want to buy a restricted item, need an over ride, and theres no staff to be seen anywhere.

The same applies when you need something voided, or "checking item weight, please weight for assistance".

The guy was dead right, I wouldn't have bothered announcing it though. In Superquinn they ask did you use any bags, you can hit yes and then it can scan again easily enough. No point wasting several minutes waiting to find staff to void one of the bags for you

Supervisor is employed for the fastlanes who handles all that. as is the same with tesco (cant remember if any other supermarkets have that fastlane thing)

The authorisation for voiding and weights is obviously to catch shoplifters, such as people who try and input a chicken as a loaf of bread for a cheaper price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Remember when we were kids on the back of breakfast cereal boxs there were often toys that you could get. Send off tokens from the box and a small P&P fee and you'd get the toy a few weeks later.

Well my mam refused to get us the toys and instead cut the pictures out of the back of the cereal boxes and let us play with them :D

Whenever I think of it now I find it hilarious and whenever I mention it to mam she gets embarrassed. Gas women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

juan.kerr wrote: »

I never say lol, but this warrants it. LOL!! That is f**king hilariously stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

ck83 wrote: »
    I never say lol, but this warrants it. LOL!! That is f**king hilariously stingy.

Good luck to him, I hope he wins. I can imagine them on the show.

and what will you buy if you're lucky tonight?...

a new pair of shoes because I wore the other ones down hand delivering the scratchcards:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement