Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Cienciano wrote: »
    This thread is for real stories, not ones you made up ;)

Made up ones are fine. Just make it believable... not like your fella last week who filled up the tank and had no fuel to get to his summer irish oral.

So I think you have too much stuff so I rob your house! So what?

Is "The Highwayman" really condemning robbing the rich? :p

this thread is so funny

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

IvaBigWun wrote: »

My favourite was a friend of a friends Dad who had two TVs on top of each other. Because one had no sound and the other had no picture :pac:

Sure someone has probably already mentioned it but that's a Karl Pilkington story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    I thought the machine counted the money for him :eek:

Me too..:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Me too..:(

I've often wondered why dublin bus don't have a machine to count the change...something similar to the toll? Probably too expensive to install i presume

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I don't know why they wasted all that money putting up those bus timetables tbh. Don't get me wrong, it's handy, but surely a machine that gives you change and a ticket would make more sense. :confused:
    Apparently any unclaimed refund tickets go to charity anyway so it's hardly for profit. Anyway, sorry for being off-topic. :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Apparently any unclaimed refund tickets go to charity anyway so it's hardly for profit. Anyway, sorry for being off-topic. :)

Where did you hear that? What if the ticket isn't printed off? Does the extra money at the end of they day get put aside for charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Where did you hear that? What if the ticket isn't printed off? Does the extra money at the end of they day get put aside for charity?
    I can't remember, I just remember saying something one day like "maybe I'll claim it so the bus driver doesn't steal it" and my friend saying it went to charity, but it does seem a little random. They do print the tickets off mostly, if they don't I assume they haven't noticed you've overpaid. I think that might be it but now that I think about it I guess they'd just keep it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I NEVER pay the full bus fair. Is that stingy? It's 2.65 to get into town from Blanch these days and I just refuse to pay it. I gather lots of five, two, ten and twenty cent coins and fling them into the ticket machine before the bus driver gets to see it. He doesn't notice and I get to go to town for next to nothing. Win Win :D
    All my friends do this btw :L

I also refuse to pay a cent more for a meal when I'm with my friends. I'll pay for what I ordered and that's it. Not a hope I'm spending any more just cause someone else in the group is a gluttonous pig :L I'm a student with no job so I suppose that's why I get away with it :L

Im an advocate of 'ffs pay your fare', I know Dublin Bus can be a rip but afaik its still propped up largely by the tax payer, the least someone who uses it can do is pay their way, I don't get when some people think transport should be free, except legs of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    There was a guy who was a local in the bar I worked in when I was sixteen. Biggest tight arse you'd ever meet... Used to make me pull is Smithwicks with no head cause you get "more in the glass"!!

Many English people are like that, I pour it with a large head and tell moaners it looks the same as the one in the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 78,374 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I don't know why they wasted all that money putting up those bus timetables tbh. Don't get me wrong, it's handy, but surely a machine that gives you change and a ticket would make more sense. :confused:

The two things that people want are "When's my bus?" and "Can I pay with one ticket?" - RTPI and Leap Cards are heading in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can we please move on from the boring ticket fare debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

I use to live beside a bookies down in Limerick. A friend of a friend rang me late one Friday afternoon and asked me to put ten euroes on a horse for him as he was stuck in traffic and he couldn't make it to the bookies on time. I was slightly offened by the request since I didn't know him too well and I didn't fancy running errands for him but I agreed to it and I told him I would if I made it there on time, which gave me a 5 minute time frame. The guy had a reputation for being a tight arsed b@stard, he was the kind of person who would charge you for petrol after giving you a lift but nevertheless, I would soon profit from him.
    I was reluctant to do it at first but I eventually came round and thought of it as a win win situation, since I would collect money win or lose. I made it to the bookies on time and as luck would have it (which so often seems to elude me), the horse came in first. With my delight, I collected over forty euros in winnings but couldn't bring myself to hand the winnings over to him.
    He rang me after the race and he asked me had I made it to the bookies on time but I told him I hadn't which he replied; ''Ah sure fcuk it, the horse came in first and all!'' I was like 'Ya right?'' And he said ''Not too worry". I entered into a fit of laughter after I hung up and treated myself to a Chinese which was conveniently located next door to the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

I use to live beside a bookies down in Limerick. A friend of a friend rang me late one Friday afternoon and asked me to put ten euroes on a horse for him as he was stuck in traffic and he couldn't make it to the bookies on time. I was slightly offened by the request since I didn't know him too well and I didn't fancy running errands for him but I agreed to it and told him I would if I made it there on time, which gave me a 5 minute time frame.
    I was reluctant to do it at first but I eventually came round and thought of it as a win win situation since I would collect money either ways. I made it to the bookies on time and as luck would have it (which so often seems to avoid me), the horse came in first. With my delight, I collected over forty euros in winnings but couldn't bring myself to hand the winnings over to him.
    He rang me after the race and asked me had I made it to the bookies on time but I told him I didn't which he replied; ''Ah sure fcuk it, the horse came in first and all!'' I was like 'Ya right?'' And he said ''Not too worry". I entered into a fit of laughter after I hung up and treated myself to a Chinese which was conveniently located next door to the bookies.

All the better for him I think , what a scummy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I use to live beside a bookies down in Limerick. A friend of a friend rang me late one Friday afternoon and asked me to put ten euroes on a horse for him as he was stuck in traffic and he couldn't make it to the bookies on time. I was slightly offened by the request since I didn't know him too well and I didn't fancy running errands for him but I agreed to it and I told him I would if I made it there on time, which gave me a 5 minute time frame.
    I was reluctant to do it at first but I eventually came round and thought of it as a win win situation, since I would collect money either ways. I made it to the bookies on time and as luck would have it (which so often seems to avoid me), the horse came in first. With my delight, I collected over forty euros in winnings but couldn't bring myself to hand the winnings over to him.
    He rang me after the race and he asked me had I made it to the bookies on time but I told him I didn't which he replied; ''Ah sure fcuk it, the horse came in first and all!'' I was like 'Ya right?'' And he said ''Not too worry". I entered into a fit of laughter after I hung up and treated myself to a Chinese which was conveniently located next door to the bookies.

I'd almost call that stealing, if the horse lost you would've demanded the money off him.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'd almost call that stealing, if the horse lost you would've demanded the money off him.

How is it, since I placed the bet with my money? I made the effort, besides he had a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

How is it, since I placed the bet with my money? I made the effort, besides he had a bad reputation.

Wuold you have demanded/expected the money if the horse had lost, or not?

As you said yourself you considered it a win/win. You would get your tenner back on a loss and keep the money, if it won. You planned to con this lad either way

Wuold you have demanded/expected the money if the horse had lost, or not?

As you said yourself you considered it a win/win. You would get your tenner back on a loss and keep the money, if it won. You planned to con this lad either way

Why wouldn't I?

Don't get your knickers in a knot, the story has a happy ending. Five years later, after I was so consumed with guilt, I decided to confess my sins to the Almighty God and sought forgiveness, and the Great Lord in his greatness cast his light upon me and forgave me.

The End

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

was living with 3 people there last year for say 8 or 9 months until one last his job and moved back home. we still had contract for the house for 2 months. the 3rd lad had all the bills come out of his account and he kept forgetting to change them into one of our name and ended up leaving it.

it ended up me and the other guy owing 100 euro each to him in the end. we paid the bills in cash so it was just awkward getting the money to him. we were out of the house about a month and still had not got a chance to hand over any money and he had not come looking for it. the other guy was living with me in the new house didnt want to pay up as in his words there is a thing were if your not asked for something back with 60 days it is yours so he was not going to pay him. he has now but that was only from being guilted into it by me and our new roommates. could not believe he was that bad about money.

i have seen him refuse to give money to charity on the streets if i did it in front of him and the person was a girl he would say i had been tricked into it because of her looks. there are so many other examples i can think of but non where it was owing someone such an amount and not being willing to give it without being convinced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I use to live beside a bookies down in Limerick. A friend of a friend rang me late one Friday afternoon and asked me to put ten euroes on a horse for him as he was stuck in traffic and he couldn't make it to the bookies on time. I was slightly offened by the request since I didn't know him too well and I didn't fancy running errands for him but I agreed to it and I told him I would if I made it there on time, which gave me a 5 minute time frame. The guy had a reputation for being a tight arsed b@stard, he was the kind of person who would charge you for petrol after giving you a lift but nevertheless, I would soon profit from him.
    I was reluctant to do it at first but I eventually came round and thought of it as a win win situation, since I would collect money win or lose. I made it to the bookies on time and as luck would have it (which so often seems to elude me), the horse came in first. With my delight, I collected over forty euros in winnings but couldn't bring myself to hand the winnings over to him.
    He rang me after the race and he asked me had I made it to the bookies on time but I told him I hadn't which he replied; ''Ah sure fcuk it, the horse came in first and all!'' I was like 'Ya right?'' And he said ''Not too worry". I entered into a fit of laughter after I hung up and treated myself to a Chinese which was conveniently located next door to the bookies.

After reading this I made a mental image of what I now believe you look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Went to the Euros with 2 lads, one a friend and another a guy i didn't know. This guys argues with every taxi, every doorman, every receptionist over price which was a good thing for most of the time.

Got washed out of our campsite in Poznan when we arrived back at 2.30am on the 3rd last night. To the describe the scene we were kneeling in tents with out bags/clothes in our hands, wet already from the walk, water seeping in, rain pouring down, thunder booming overhead, people leaving the camp en masse.

We began ringing home looking for hostel numbers. Only 1 was available with 2 rooms left, a 2 person room for €50 in total or a four person room for €60 (Polands cheap by the way!!!). yer man is very reluctant to pay for the hostel insisting we merely find shelter for a few hours. He eventually swayed, then with all our gear we headed for the exit with half the camp, no taxis available, eventually we stopped one by going down the road, relieved we threw our stuff in and yer man starts haggling the price of a taxi, yer man says 30zl (€7) but our guy wants to pay 20zl (€5), a difference of 70c each. When we got to the hostel, he insisted on getting the 1 double room and we draw straws for one of us to sleep on the floor, we would be saving €3 each by opting for the smaller room. As my friend was agreeing with what he was saying, it was 2 against 1 until the hostel receptionist, to my relief, told us that this wasn't allowed.

The following morning yer man wanted to return to the drenched campsite to collect his free breakfast (consisted of 2 bread rolls with ham and cheese and a cup of tea) despite the fact that we were now on the bustling main square and surrounded by cheap cafés selling full breakfasts for under €5.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Breaking delph and cutting up clothes before throwing them out when they are no longer wanted/needed so that no one else could use them afterwards (were they to dig through the bins and find them of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have a friend who is one of those girls who is absolutely gorgeous but knows it completely. The type who pays a photographer to take pictures of her and then calls herself a model.
    Anyway, anytime we're all planning on going out she'll say "oh I have no money but i'll go if you all buy me drinks ;)"
    We never respond to such statements but she comes out with us anyway and then sulks in a corner because no one is buying her drink.
    When the sulking doesn't work, she then chats up every bloke in the bar or nightclub to desperately try and get one of them to buy her drink (this usually works.) Then when it comes the time to get a taxi she acts completely drunk in order to get out of paying a fare. She's "fainted" at the end of the journey and doesn't wake up until we drag her out of the taxi. This is how she gets out of paying. It's happened on 2 occasions. Thank god school is finished and I'll never be forced to go anywhere with her again! :D I wouldn't mind but it's not like she's short of a few bob either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

North American women are terrible for that shyte as well.
    Ive hung out with a few yankee girls on my travels, and they kept expecting me to buy them drinks in bars or clubs. Or if they saw me going to a bar, they'd ask for something with no intention of paying or buying back. A lot of the time it was just friends, not even anything untowards. One even had the cheek to bitch at me for only tipping 10% after buying her a drink with my money. fecking wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Went to the Euros with 2 lads, one a friend and another a guy i didn't know. This guys argues with every taxi, every doorman, every receptionist over price which was a good thing for most of the time.

Got washed out of our campsite in Poznan when we arrived back at 2.30am on the 3rd last night. To the describe the scene we were kneeling in tents with out bags/clothes in our hands, wet already from the walk, water seeping in, rain pouring down, thunder booming overhead, people leaving the camp en masse.

We began ringing home looking for hostel numbers. Only 1 was available with 2 rooms left, a 2 person room for €50 in total or a four person room for €60 (Polands cheap by the way!!!). yer man is very reluctant to pay for the hostel insisting we merely find shelter for a few hours. He eventually swayed, then with all our gear we headed for the exit with half the camp, no taxis available, eventually we stopped one by going down the road, relieved we threw our stuff in and yer man starts haggling the price of a taxi, yer man says 30zl (€7) but our guy wants to pay 20zl (€5), a difference of 70c each. When we got to the hostel, he insisted on getting the 1 double room and we draw straws for one of us to sleep on the floor, we would be saving €3 each by opting for the smaller room. As my friend was agreeing with what he was saying, it was 2 against 1 until the hostel receptionist, to my relief, told us that this wasn't allowed.

The following morning yer man wanted to return to the drenched campsite to collect his free breakfast (consisted of 2 bread rolls with ham and cheese and a cup of tea) despite the fact that we were now on the bustling main square and surrounded by cheap cafés selling full breakfasts for under €5.

You were obviously in the Carlsberg village - I remember that miserable down pour and how all the tents got destroyed (was nice and warm in our campervan :D )

Cant belive he wanted to go back for that shocking breakfast - i was barely able to eat it most mornings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

miamee wrote: »
    Breaking delph and cutting up clothes before throwing them out when they are no longer wanted/needed so that no one else could use them afterwards (were they to dig through the bins and find them of course)

What if they made mosaics, and patchwork quilts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

My old man was at a wedding years ago in a swanky hotel.

In some of the hotels they give you a complimentary newspaper.

A well known local shopowner was at the same wedding and he was spotted by several people cutting the masts off the newspapers so he could claim the money for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I know a man who buys a tin of baked beans on Tuesday, so he can have a bubble bath on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

This is a classic. Claim for €305 on car insurance with a €300 excess to save €5. Brilliant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056723234&page=2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement