Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    You were obviously in the Carlsberg village - I remember that miserable down pour and how all the tents got destroyed (was nice and warm in our campervan :D )

Cant belive he wanted to go back for that shocking breakfast - i was barely able to eat it most mornings)

Yup Carlsberg it was, it really was miserable. :mad:

Next day we had no place to stay but through wifi we found a double room in a hotel 10 mins away for €26 each for the first night. Yer man and my friend went in and i stayed outside so that we could get 2 people in and i'd be the unofficial 3rd guest (in fairness we had no other option). After checking us in he said there was no room available for tomorrow night (match night), he proposed we get up at mid-day, put our luggage in storage, party all night, collect luggage at 7am and wait in train station until our train (1pm). Sounds like an ordeal but it was a plan i accepted reluctantly.

Next morning at 12 noon, the phone rang. I jumped out of bed to answer it. It was reception asking us whether we wanted to leave, or stay another night(!). Another night WAS available but for a little bit extra (€7 each)! I told the lads of the price, yer man in an tired state tried to raise himself outta bed and say "No, No we'll be grand, we'll sleep in the train station". I turned back to phone and said "We'll take it, i'll be down right now to settle."

We slept until 3pm, showered! Went to Italy game, returned at 4am, woke up at 11am and made our train at 1pm fully rested. €30 well spent. in fairness to the guy he paid up what he owed straight away no hassle, no asking. i just suppose we felt differently about a price to be paid for comfort and time saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    You were obviously in the Carlsberg village - I remember that miserable down pour and how all the tents got destroyed (was nice and warm in our campervan :D )

Cant belive he wanted to go back for that shocking breakfast - i was barely able to eat it most mornings)

Yup Carlsberg it was, it really was miserable. :mad:

Next day we had no place to stay but through wifi we found a double room in a hotel 10 mins away for €26 each for the first night. Yer man and my friend went in and i stayed outside so that we could get 2 people in and i'd be the unofficial 3rd guest (in fairness we had no other option). After checking us in he said there was no room available for tomorrow night (match night), he proposed we get up at mid-day, put our luggage in storage, party all night, collect luggage at 7am and wait in train station until our train (1pm). Sounds like an ordeal but it was a plan i accepted reluctantly.

Next morning at 12 noon, the phone rang. I jumped out of bed to answer it. It was reception asking us whether we wanted to leave, or stay another night(!). Another night WAS available but for a little bit extra (€7 each)! I told the lads of the price, yer man in an tired state tried to raise himself outta bed and say "No, No we'll be grand, we'll sleep in the train station". I turned back to phone and said "We'll take it, i'll be down right now to settle."

We slept until 3pm, showered! Went to Italy game, returned at 4am, woke up at 11am and made our train at 1pm fully rested. €30 well spent. in fairness to the guy he paid up what he owed straight away no hassle, no asking. i just suppose we felt differently about a price to be paid for comfort and time saving.

Id understand sleeping at the train station if your train was at 6am or something but seeping at the station when your train isn't till obe pm sounds like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I slept in an airport once instead of paying for a hotel, but to be fair me and my friend were 21 and had just spent all our money at a festival. We couldn't afford to get a hotel room and eat, so we chose food and a few games of cards with a load of Belfast lads who had decided to do the same thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Nope, don't see why I should. The bus drivers are too lazy to count the money. That's not my problem :L

Do you also try to get away with not paying the full price for items because in your view they are overpriced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

gustavo wrote: »
    Nope, don't see why I should. The bus drivers are too lazy to count the money. That's not my problem :L

Do you also try to get away with not paying the full price for items because in your view they are overpriced?

Thats not even possible. The cashier counts the money Duhh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

So you would if you could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

So you would if you could

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

less whingy more stingy stories please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I slept in an airport once instead of paying for a hotel, but to be fair me and my friend were 21 and had just spent all our money at a festival. We couldn't afford to get a hotel room and eat, so we chose food and a few games of cards with a load of Belfast lads who had decided to do the same thing :)

I did that once, though I was about 40. I'd been to Brighton for the day, but enjoyed myself too much — I couldn't tear myself away from a fantastic live gig in a pub, and missed the train I needed to catch. Didn't want to spend just £30 for a B&B so got the train to Gatwick and hung around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/yajqv/what_levels_of_cheapness_have_astonished_you/

If some of these stories are true, we have some stingy counterparts in America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

If you want stingy, look at the results of the poll on this AH thread. Over 90% don't tip! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

some of the ones on the reddit link are great....people taking the stalks off cherries and peeling bananas so they'll weigh less at the checkout, hahahahaha.

But this is by far the worst ive seen.
    This will be so close to bottom that I don't think it's worth posting, but this story has been on my chest for awhile and it's perfect for this thread.

A number of years ago I was waiting at a greyhound bus station and I noticed some children playing with the arcade machines. A little girl, maybe around 5 years old, asks her mother for some quarters to play the games. The girl gets the quarters from her mom and goes back to machines.

Meanwhile, a small boy, who is about the same age, is just mashing keys randomly because he doesn't have any quarters to start the game. The girl sees him and offers some of her quarters. He's obviously pretty happy about this, says thank you, and literally runs back to the arcade machine. I'm watching this happen and thinking about how great this is. These children who (I'm pretty sure) had never met before were being so kind to each other.

The mother of the girl is visibly upset. She gets up, scolds her daughter for giving away her money, and says to the boy these exact words: "Please give those quarters back. My daughter wasn't supposed to give them to you." She takes the quarters and gives them back to her daughter for her to keep using on the arcade machines.

Now the boy's happiness has been swept away and the girl has been berated for being nice. All of this over mere quarters. Quarters that were going to be lost to the arcade machine anyways. It was insane. I really hate it.

tl;dr A little girl gives a small boy some quarters to play with an arcade machine. Angry mother takes quarters back.

If i saw this happening I don't think I would have been able to contain myself from screaming at that miserly git of a mother, and would have given the boy all the change I had in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ I would be quite proud of the girl who offered some of the change to the boy, that mother is nothin only a cúnt taking the money back off him, no other word for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

retalivity wrote: »
    some of the ones on the reddit link are great....people taking the stalks off cherries and peeling bananas so they'll weigh less at the checkout, hahahahaha.

This will be so close to bottom that I don't think it's worth posting, but this story has been on my chest for awhile and it's perfect for this thread.

A number of years ago I was waiting at a greyhound bus station and I noticed some children playing with the arcade machines. A little girl, maybe around 5 years old, asks her mother for some quarters to play the games. The girl gets the quarters from her mom and goes back to machines.

Meanwhile, a small boy, who is about the same age, is just mashing keys randomly because he doesn't have any quarters to start the game. The girl sees him and offers some of her quarters. He's obviously pretty happy about this, says thank you, and literally runs back to the arcade machine. I'm watching this happen and thinking about how great this is. These children who (I'm pretty sure) had never met before were being so kind to each other.

The mother of the girl is visibly upset. She gets up, scolds her daughter for giving away her money, and says to the boy these exact words: "Please give those quarters back. My daughter wasn't supposed to give them to you." She takes the quarters and gives them back to her daughter for her to keep using on the arcade machines.

Now the boy's happiness has been swept away and the girl has been berated for being nice. All of this over mere quarters. Quarters that were going to be lost to the arcade machine anyways. It was insane. I really hate it.

tl;dr A little girl gives a small boy some quarters to play with an arcade machine. Angry mother takes quarters back.

If i saw this happening I don't think I would have been able to contain myself from screaming at that miserly git of a mother, and would have given the boy all the change I had in my pocket

I thought the story was going to end with the boy winning on the arcade machines and the girl's mother taking the winnings and claiming them for herself. Now that would have been real mean!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Story about the mother giving out to the child for sharing the quarters reminds me of my bother in law (wife's brother), she was minding her nephew one day and went to bring him to feed the ducks, she had bought him some wedges on the way as he was hungry and wanted some wedges, when they went to the ducks all the bread was gone very quickly so then the child started to give them wedges, after a while all the wedges (and bread) were gone and the ducks & child were happy, when my brother in law saw that the wedges were gone he roared at the child that he shouldn't have given the wedges that he should have kept them, the 3 year old doesn't share anything now.

The same guy at his wedding was opening all the cards as people were giving them to him and taking the money out of them in front of everyone and the morning after he went to his father looking for money for the drink for the toast that he reckons he should have paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

Selling those 5p crisps for 10p in some shop up the road from me. Not necessarily stingy, just daylight robbery.

I demand my 5p back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Selling those 5p crisps for 10p in some shop up the road from me. Not necessarily stingy, just daylight robbery.

I demand my 5p back.

I remember when Fives came back in bigger packs saying I remember those! And the new packs are bigger!!
    Turns out they were now 25p :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 GerryManders

I know of a girl who sued her boyfriend following a car accident. She received minor injuries like a a fractured arm and apparently her boyfriend didn't visit her in hospital. I'm not too sure what the full story was but the reason he didn't visit her in hospital was because her parents went ape. She used the reason for him not visiting her in hospital as justification for suing him even though they were in a relationship for 4 years.

Just last week she posted pictures of a new car she bought with the compensation money (just under 20,000 euro). Underneath the comment section beneath the picture, she said that it is amazing what a bit of full time work and a loan from the credit union can get ya! Everybody knows that she bought it with the compensation money and no surprises shes now single. Only a dirt bag would so something like that.

I know of a girl who sued her boyfriend following a car accident. She received minor injuries like a a fractured arm and apparently her boyfriend didn't visit her in hospital. I'm not too sure what the full story was but the reason he didn't visit her hospital was because her parents went ape. She used the reason for him not visiting her in hospital as justification for suing him even though they were in a relationship for 4 years.

Just last week she posted pictures of a new car she bought with the compensation money (just under 20,000 euro). Underneath the comment section beneath the picture, she said that it is amazing what a bit of full time work and a loan from the credit union can get ya! Everybody knows that she bought it with the compensation money and no surprises shes now single. Tbh, only a dirt bag would so something like that.

My friend got his sister to sue him after a crash. The occupants of the other car were suing him anyway so his NCB and premium were fecked anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I know of a girl who sued her boyfriend following a car accident. She received minor injuries like a a fractured arm and apparently her boyfriend didn't visit her in hospital. I'm not too sure what the full story was but the reason he didn't visit her in hospital was because her parents went ape. She used the reason for him not visiting her in hospital as justification for suing him even though they were in a relationship for 4 years.

Just last week she posted pictures of a new car she bought with the compensation money (just under 20,000 euro). Underneath the comment section beneath the picture, she said that it is amazing what a bit of full time work and a loan from the credit union can get ya! Everybody knows that she bought it with the compensation money and no surprises shes now single. Only a dirt bag would so something like that.

If he caused her any injuries and pain then rightly so she should have sued him, the judge obviously thought it was reckless driving or negligence to award a sum that large so he probably deserved to be sued. And you don't actually know she used that money to buy the car, she could have used that money elsewhere and bought the car with money from her job and a loan as she claimed. Don't be so quick to jump the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Ok , mine would be watching somebody go through the rubbish to look for their USED teabag , rather than use another one : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 GerryManders

stetyrrell wrote: »
    If he caused her any injuries and pain then rightly so she should have sued him, the judge obviously thought it was reckless driving or negligence to award a sum that large so he probably deserved to be sued. And you don't actually know she used that money to buy the car, she could have used that money elsewhere and bought the car with money from her job and a loan as she claimed. Don't be so quick to jump the gun.

I do, she told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

retalivity wrote: »

i was playing the 5 cent machines in courtown last week (the one where you put 5c in the top and try to push more 5c coins out the botom)

i was doing well and wasnt picking up the coins that were spilling out the bottom because i wanted to let them build up.
    some fat little twat aged about 8 belonging to a certain ethnic group comes along and bangs his fat arse off the machine, the alarm didnt go off but more coins came out.
    the fat cunt then preceeds to empty the tray of the coins and says 'sure didnt i help you get more,boss'
    i let it slide as iyt was only about 3 euro but i was a bit angry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My friend got his sister to sue him after a crash. The occupants of the other car were suing him anyway so his NCB and premium were fecked anyway!
    reminded me of

Father Purcell: Oh they have you everywhere you know. I was in the AA there for a while, but the insurance was very expensive.
    Father Dougal: Oh right (getting bored)
    Father Purcell: I had to crash the car to get the money back and they had witnesses who said they'd seen me steer it towards the wall you know. There was talk of me going to jail for a while!

reminded me of

Father Purcell: Oh they have you everywhere you know. I was in the AA there for a while, but the insurance was very expensive.
    Father Dougal: Oh right (getting bored)
    Father Purcell: I had to crash the car to get the money back and they had witnesses who said they'd seen me steer it towards the wall you know. There was talk of me going to jail for a while!

In a pub down the country a few of the locals kept joking to some man that his car is on fire... I asked the story and no one would tell me. All very sinister...

At the end of the night I found out why... this fella had put in about 10 fraudulent claims in the last 5 years and more recently had burned his car in the middle of town and getting the whole pub to "witness" a big black fella doing it. A few others were at something similar. Crazy place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I know someone who takes the battery out of their watch every night

And boasts about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

gammygils wrote: »
    I know someone who takes the battery out of their watch every night

And boasts about it!!

There is a stinginess belief threshold which I believe has been broken with this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Eathrin wrote: »
    There is a stinginess belief threshold which I believe has been broken with this post.

That's not the first time that story has been posted in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

OOOOOh, I just remembered one.

Going back to the early 90s and mu first boyfriend was looking to sell his car. He was asking $13,000 for it but after not getting any offers, he said he was going to drop the price to $12,500. Fair enough.

A few weekends later, we visited my mum who said she wanted a car and how much was his (she was basically doing him a massive favour as he was my bf and was aware he had been trying to sell it).

He told her $13,000. I flipped out and said it is $12,500 but my mum said she would pay the going rate.

Suffice to say, when I got him on his own, all hell broke loose. We did not last long after that (had been together 2.5 years).... stingy fecker.

My mum did not have much money, and he was aware of that, which to me made it all the worse. He had a good-paying job too.

He is probably still the same....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

My daughter was baby-sitting for this very wealthy couple,the child she was minding was 7 years old and wanted a chocolate eclair that was in the fridge,so gave it to him

Later that night the couple come home, and the father let out an almighty roar and demanded as to the whereabouts of his cream cake

She told him she gave it to his son and she was told she had no right to give away any of his possessions and deducted the price of the cake from the €20 babysitting fee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement