Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Its called Magnolia and nobody forced you to rent the place.

As somebody who has rented for nearly ten years with friends, drop your housemate at the end of the lease. Living with a tight arse is a world of hurt.

Also don't be so pushed to put that ball and chain that is a long term mortgage around your neck. In these modern times, we all find ourselves going trough a variety of jobs and careers up until our mid thirty's and early forties. Being locked to one location effects your ability to adapt to changing work conditions.

If you can afford to save for a house, keep saving. With proper investment a large sum of money only generates more cash. Rather then the common misconception that a house does the same.

Fvck off.... You're just too stingy to buy a house, aren't ya? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    In a couple of years I will have saved up enough to get onto the property ladder (and I know that owning a house isn't the B all and end all) but it has to be better than applying to the property maagement company when I want to change the colour of the walls from that depressing light-yellow that landlords insist on painting every property with because it's "easier to clean".

They won't let you repaint the walls without permission??:eek:
    Sure even if they have to repaint the walls after you leave it would still fall under wear and tear!
    I'm assuming you're there on a long contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Its called Magnolia and nobody forced you to rent the place.

As somebody who has rented for nearly ten years with friends, drop your housemate at the end of the lease. Living with a tight arse is a world of hurt.

Also don't be so pushed to put that ball and chain that is a long term mortgage around your neck. In these modern times, we all find ourselves going trough a variety of jobs and careers up until our mid thirty's and early forties. Being locked to one location effects your ability to adapt to changing work conditions.

If you can afford to save for a house, keep saving. With proper investment a large sum of money only generates more cash. Rather then the common misconception that a house does the same.
    Trust me, a mortgage isn't something I'm entering into on a whim. Since I moved out of home at 18 I've pretty much lived in the same city for the last 12 years. I'm settled here and I don't see the point in paying rent to a landlord when I could be paying for my own house. I know the benefits of having a landlord - when something breaks down, they fix it but a rented house is always the landlords house and I'm at an age where I want to be able to do my own thing.

For example, the apartment I moved into recently, doesn't have toilet roll holders in the bathrooms. It's a simple job to buy and install them. I'm not allowed to do this without the permission of the property management company in case I somehow hurt myself putting a couple of screws into the wall and sue them. If I go ahead and just do it, they could act like dicks and not give me my deposit back for making unauthorised changes to the apartment :rolleyes:

I'm not looking for a huge house to show off to the neighbours. When people talk about the "good times" I have no idea what they are talking about. I've never been on a ridiculously unsustainable salary or bought a load of ****e that I don't need on credit. All I want is a little place to call my own and I'll never get that while I'm renting. If I spend another 12 years in the same city (which I probably will) I will either have paid off half of my mortgage or I will have lined the pockets of some absentee landlord who is laughing all the way to the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They won't let you repaint the walls without permission??:eek:
    Sure even if they have to repaint the walls after you leave it would still fall under wear and tear!
    I'm assuming you're there on a long contract.
    I think if I repainted the walls they would have a hernia!

I rented my new apartment through a property management company and it is the first and last time that I will do so. Previously I only dealt directly with landlords and it was much better. My last place I was there for 7 years and the landlord was brilliant. If anything went wrong, 2 weeks was the most we waited to get something fixed.

When we moved in, one of the windows in the bedrooms didn't open. They tried to fob us off but with excuses but after going mental with them one day, we finally got the rent reduced for that month and the window fixed. Another window in the sitting room doesn't open. Two months later, we're still getting excuses assurances that the window will be fixed and they want us to be happy in our home and aren't only interested in taking a set amount of money off us each month, despite the living conditions :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Heard this story about this family who charged their au pair 20 euro every time she had a hot shower.

Sorry but I think that's bull. That's €600 per month for having a shower? No way would anyone put up with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bijapos wrote: »
    Sorry but I think that's bull. That's €600 per month for having a shower? No way would anyone put up with that.

Think what you like. I know it's true. I was speaking to the girl. A lot of au pairs don't want to complain cauae if they do they could lose their home and job.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Think what you like. I know it's true. I was speaking to the girl. A lot of au pairs don't want to complain cauae if they do they could lose their home and job.

In fairness, sounds like she is exaggerating big time, but I think she is pulling your leg :D

In fairness, sounds like she is exaggerating big time, but I think she is pulling your leg :D

No. She bloody well wasn't exaggerating or pulling my leg.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

No. She bloody well wasn't exaggerating or pulling my leg.

Chill your jets. :p

(she was)

Chill your jets. :p

(she was)
    Believe what you want. I know the truth.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I met a South African woman recently who works as an au pair/ housekeeper and cook in the house of a Doctor in the Southside. 3 or 4 kids.
    She gets one day a week off and is paid 100 euro and 'keep.'
    Stingy fcuking c***s

zef wrote: »
    I met a South African woman recently who works as an au pair/ housekeeper and cook in the house of a Doctor in the Southside. 3 or 4 kids.
    She gets one day a week off and is paid 100 euro and 'keep.'
    Stingy fcuking c***s

Thats not bad at all. I interviewed 50 au pairs as part of a research project and Ive heard a lot worse than that.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

My Granda used to count the matches from each box he bought from the corner shop. He was convinced they took a few out of each box. Can't have been easy to count as he was blind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is it just stingy people who get Au Pairs?

My brother in law gets an au-pair every summer, he lives a few miles out of town and charges her a fiver to give her a lift into town but he'll only bring her if he's going anyway. She asked him for a key for her room, he charged her a tenner deposit for it, they also don't buy any extra food since she has arrived, they just have smaller portions each.

Oh yeah, we were invited down for Sunday lunch around the time of 1 of their kids birthday, down we went with loads of presents and stuff, arrived around noon, no sign of any lunch on which I thought was a bit odd, then at 1 he rang Apache Pizza and ordered 2 large pizzas, that was going to be lunch for the 12 of us that were there, this was when Apache were doing any pizza any size for €9.99. After he hung up the phone and went "mam, you never brought any drinks, go down to the shop and get some". When the pizzas arrived he went to my wife "have you money for the dinner there?", luckily she had left her bag in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Once before when I was out with my ex and she got a round in, which was a shock to begin with. Got the price of the drinks and got her money and she started to count the coins. Then she came over to the table and asked does anyone have 10p that she didn't want to break into her 50p!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

KTBFFH wrote: »
    I was trying to stick to the stingy part... but if you want I can tell you the part of him being a dick that night.
    He had all the lads told she was going to go the whole way with him that night. She said she wanted to do it at the end of the night back at his house but he wouldn't let her stay. I'm so glad I wont be in school with him anymore and will be going to a different college than him now. God help the people who have to stay with him
    She'd be some fecking eejit to sleep with some guy who'd been blanking her all night.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard really bad horror stories about the way some au pairs have been treated by their "host" families. Basically being used as cheap/free labour to do backbreaking work for no thanks. On a BBC documentary two au pairs interviewed in silouette had been raped by the father of the host families. Disgusting.

Is it my imagination or are some of the stingiest fecks out there also pretty weatlhy? And are they wealthy because of their meanness or the other way round?

When I was a kid the people who lived in the biggest, most plush house on our road would slam the door in your face when you came around collecting for charity or looking to be sponsored. Miserable c*nts!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,374 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sligojoek wrote: »
    The fokker had the last laugh. Later that night his brother told me that Dinny had recently set up a building supply company and he'd be claiming back the vat as client entertainment expenses.
    Client entertainment isn't a deductible expense. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

A guy I knew used to boil eggs in the kettle remove the lid for a few minutes to keep it boiling then use the water to make tea.

I actually did this today but only because the cooker went a bit crazy and would'nt work... So egg sambo and tea for lunch nom nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

A person I know drinks hot water and when she doesn't finish her cup , she flings it back in the kettle. Yucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

bijapos wrote: »

Maybe she was French? They generally aren't renowned for their hygiene so she may only have showered once a week or even less frequently...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

alie wrote: »
    A person I know drinks hot water and when she doesn't finish her cup , she flings it back in the kettle. Yucky.

The strangest thing about that is drinking hot water :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The strangest thing about that is drinking hot water :confused:

It's very good for flushing your kidneys if you have an infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Is it considered stingey for a woman to use a needle to unclog a disaposable razor so that it can keep being reused?Does anyone else do this?I'd obviously throw it away after a few weeks to avoid the possibility of it rusting and making me contract tetanus though.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

I know people that scrape their leftovers off their plates into the toilet to save the weight of the scraps in the bin (we pay bin charges by weight)... now that is stingy ! Don't know what they'll do when the water charges come in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

speaking of incoming water charges .. is it / will it be stingy to adhere to the "if its yellow, let it mellow ..... " adage ??

Damit wrote: »
    I know people that scrape their leftovers off their plates into the toilet to save the weight of the scraps in the bin (we pay bin charges by weight)... now that is stingy ! Don't know what they'll do when the water charges come in ?

Know someone who keeps food waste in the freezer to avoid putting out the black bin every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

SugarCoat wrote: »
    Is it considered stingey for a woman to use a needle to unclog a disaposable razor so that it can keep being reused?Does anyone else do this?I'd obviously throw it away after a few weeks to avoid the possibility of it rusting and making me contract tetanus though.:o

yes, they're called disposable for a reason & cheap especially compared to the other blades from gillette or whoever that'd you'd use for longer

i only shave once with them but i'd say you could use them twice maybe

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    speaking of incoming water charges .. is it / will it be stingy to adhere to the "if its yellow, let it mellow ..... " adage ??

No, that's fine. Although try to avoid leaving it sitting for more than a day, particularly if it's a very dark yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

juan.kerr wrote: »
    No, that's fine. Although try to avoid leaving it sitting for more than a day, particularly if it's a very dark yellow.
    If its very dark yellow you need to drink more water ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement