Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yes, they're called disposable for a reason & cheap especially compared to the other blades from gillette or whoever that'd you'd use for longer

i only shave once with them but i'd say you could use them twice maybe
    Jaysus, you must be made of money to only shave with them once.

I keep going with them until they start getting dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I know of a woman who still lives at home in her late 40s, has an excellent civil servnat job of 80k a year (for 20 yrs now), and she doesnt spend a single cent from Monday to Friday, her parents make her chicken sandwiches to bring in for her lunch all week and she gets coffee for free there so she doesnt have to spend anything all week. She walks to work so no driving or bus expenses and even when she gets to the weekend she barely spends a thing!

I went on holiday with this woman once and it was 40 degrees in Malta and her face was purple with the heat and she STILL wouldnt pay the money for a bottle of Coke when most people were bowling over the guy who was selling them, how tight can you get? I know its a curious Irish trait to be all secretive and hoardy about money but in my view if you have it you may as well enjoy some of it, you are going to be dead forever and you cant bring a cent with you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I know of a woman who still lives at home in her late 40s, has an excellent civil servnat job of 80k a year (for 20 yrs now), and she doesnt spend a single cent from Monday to Friday, her parents make her chicken sandwiches to bring in for her lunch all week and she gets coffee for free there so she doesnt have to spend anything all week. She walks to work so no driving or bus expenses and even when she gets to the weekend she barely spends a thing!

I went on holiday with this woman once and it was 40 degrees in Malta and her face was purple with the heat and she STILL wouldnt pay the money for a bottle of Coke when most people were bowling over the guy who was selling them, how tight can you get? I know its a curious Irish trait to be all secretive and hoardy about money but in my view if you have it you may as well enjoy some of it, you are going to be dead forever and you cant bring a cent with you :rolleyes:

She went on holidays to Malta so she isn't that tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Actually she is because we spent a whole 3 weeks scouring for the cheapest hotel room, cheapest flight (it was at 6am) and we walked almost everywhere and even the few day trips we went on she scraped all her coins to pay and it killed her to hand over a note! In retrospect, i didnt enjoy myself at all because of her mean and miserly ways plus the fact we had to dance around what she wanted and how much everything cost, what a total tight miserable cow she was and still is. I much prefer to enjoy my money..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A friend of mine brings baby wipes in her bag with her when she goes out, so that she can wipe off her make up before she hops on the bus home so she can get away with paying child fare :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

^ Actually she is because we spent a whole 3 weeks scouring for the cheapest hotel room, cheapest flight (it was at 6am) and we walked almost everywhere and even the few day trips we went on she scraped all her coins to pay and it killed her to hand over a note! In retrospect, i didnt enjoy myself at all because of her mean and miserly ways plus the fact we had to dance around what she wanted and how much everything cost, what a total tight miserable cow she was and still is. I much prefer to enjoy my money..

Only kidding. My mother occasionally goes on week or weekend breaks with a friend like this (both in their 60's), we get to hear all the stories back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

kylith wrote: »
    Jaysus, you must be made of money to only shave with them once.

I keep going with them until they start getting dangerous.

they're only around €3-4 for the ones i use, 20 in a pack & i don't shave everyday, every 2 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Maybe she was French? They generally aren't renowned for their hygiene so she may only have showered once a week or even less frequently...

Lazy stereotyping IMO. I went out with a French woman for 3 years, showered every morning, I lived there for 18 months, never noticed that they were unhygenic, the opposite i would say.
    Damit wrote: »
    I know people that scrape their leftovers off their plates into the toilet to save the weight of the scraps in the bin (we pay bin charges by weight)... now that is stingy ! Don't know what they'll do when the water charges come in ?

Tell them to get a compost bin for the food and make a wormery for the meat scraps, they'll save a fortune over time for very little outlay. And no I'm not being stingey, just saving a few bob. All the recycleables go into a couple of big blue IKEA bags or cardboard boxes and get thrown into the compactor at the local recycling centre. Saves a fortune long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yes, they're called disposable for a reason & cheap especially compared to the other blades from gillette or whoever that'd you'd use for longer

i only shave once with them but i'd say you could use them twice maybe

Those disposable ones I never use because even half way through the first shave they get blunt and start to slice my face up.

Instead, I get the Gillette-type ones with three or four blades in a cartridge because they seem to last forever. I think I use a cartridge for 2-3 months before replacing, so a pack of eight lasts for maybe two years. I don't think I'm being stingy though — it's just too much trouble to switch to a new cartridge when I can have a reasonably good shave from an old one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I worked with someone like this and I used to think she was the tightest b!tch on the planet, like you said, brought lunch every day, never spent a penny, lived with her parents, never went on holidays, etc. etc., I went on a right rant 1 day at work about her, turned out that she was living with her parents cause her father had MS with no medical insurance or rights and was pretty much paying for her parents in their old age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've heard really bad horror stories about the way some au pairs have been treated by their "host" families. Basically being used as cheap/free labour to do backbreaking work for no thanks. On a BBC documentary two au pairs interviewed in silouette had been raped by the father of the host families. Disgusting.

Is it my imagination or are some of the stingiest fecks out there also pretty weatlhy? And are they wealthy because of their meanness or the other way round?

When I was a kid the people who lived in the biggest, most plush house on our road would slam the door in your face when you came around collecting for charity or looking to be sponsored. Miserable c*nts!
    An au pair was on the radio, she didn't have much air time, but she quickly mentioned that she had to clean out someones garage and her mate (also an au pair) had to paint the shed.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    She went on holidays to Malta so she isn't that tight.
    Ryanair fly to Malta ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Clareman wrote: »
    I worked with someone like this and I used to think she was the tightest b!tch on the planet, like you said, brought lunch every day, never spent a penny, lived with her parents, never went on holidays, etc. etc., I went on a right rant 1 day at work about her, turned out that she was living with her parents cause her father had MS with no medical insurance or rights and was pretty much paying for her parents in their old age

What do you mean he had no rights? Was he a black slave pre civil rights?

As for MS, he would have been covered by free State care, like the other 1.6 million people in this country with medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Motorist wrote: »

As for MS, he would have been covered by free State care, like the other 1.6 million people in this country with medical cards.

Wow, Motorist. That woman who had given up her child-bearing years to care for her parents, and who will more than likely die alone, she's really got it made, hasn't she?
    Where can the rest of us sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I know somebody who actually lets balloons down after a party and then has them filled with helium again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Was at work today and saw a kid charge his friend 20c for a taste of his milkshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I Usually don't contribute to OT arguments on this thread, but have you seen someone die of MS?you get fu(k all "state care".
    A medical card doesn't entitle you to home help, peg feeding changes, home adaption for wheelchairs then power chairs, power beds, nurse visits, etc. It's all waiting lists,and area availabilty etc.
    Rant over, bring on the stinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Damit

Squaredude wrote: »
    Was at work today and saw a kid charge his friend 20c for a taste of his milkshake.

That’s not stingy that’s an entrepreneur intraining :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Squaredude wrote: »
    well it did bring all the boys to the yard...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

friend bought something for our house on his card. came to about 90 quid each well 90.25 each to be exact. gave him the 90 had no change for the 25 cent. he kept complaining that i hadnt given it back to him for a full week and just didnt have the change and it was 25c for god sake not like i paid the 25 and not the E90 just didnt have it cause i hadnt bought anything to get change that week. he brings it up when we were out for drinks on the thursday and i said fine i shall give you it tomorrow. at home i had a jar or 1c and 2c hadnt wanted to give him it in them as that would be annoyed didnt mind doing then though he got 25 1c's for being so pushy over it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

magnumbud wrote: »
    friend bought something for our house on his card. came to about 90 quid each well 90.25 each to be exact. gave him the 90 had no change for the 25 cent. he kept complaining that i hadnt given it back to him for a full week and just didnt have the change and it was 25c for god sake not like i paid the 25 and not the E90 just didnt have it cause i hadnt bought anything to get change that week. he brings it up when we were out for drinks on the thursday and i said fine i shall give you it tomorrow. at home i had a jar or 1c and 2c hadnt wanted to give him it in them as that would be annoyed didnt mind doing then though he got 25 1c's for being so pushy over it :-)

Whilst 25c is a bit extreme, it does annoy me if I go to the effort of booking a holiday or the likes for several people, or buy a present for someone on behalf of everyone else and people start short changing you a couple of euro shy of the total amount. It all adds up and leaves you short by a fair amount, after going to the trouble of being the only one bothered to buy whatever it was in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Well when you gave the €90.00 did you say you would give him the 25c later on? If not you were being cheeky and effectively short changing him.

While prob 99.9% of the population would let it go maybe he is just a very principled guy and flet you were pulling the piss. But to be fair, 25c among friends is a bit miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Well when you gave the €90.00 did you say you would give him the 25c later on? If not you were being cheeky and effectively short changing him.

While prob 99.9% of the population would let it go maybe he is just a very principled guy and flet you were pulling the piss. But to be fair, 25c among friends is a bit miserable.

could be a case of him sticking to his principles/nipping it in the bud and coming across as stingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

friend bought something for our house on his card. came to about 90 quid each well 90.25 each to be exact. gave him the 90 had no change for the 25 cent.
    I hate cheap f*ckers who do stuff like that - short-change you of a few cents, and then tell you that YOU are the mean one when in reality it is them who are being cheapskates...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

emzolita wrote: »
    I Usually don't contribute to OT arguments on this thread, but have you seen someone die of MS?you get fu(k all "state care".
    A medical card doesn't entitle you to home help, peg feeding changes, home adaption for wheelchairs then power chairs, power beds, nurse visits, etc. It's all waiting lists,and area availabilty etc.
    Rant over, bring on the stinge!

The State covers all necessary care if it can't be afforded by the patient. If the patient doesn't want to wait on a list like everyone else, they can of course pay their own way. I still dont know what you meant when you said he had no rights.

Just some entitlements covered by State for MS sufferers are payments for the sick and those with disabilities, partial capacity benefit, disability allowance, disability payments and work, illness benefit, disabled person's parking card, disabled person’s grant, medical cards/GP Visit Card, motorised transport grant, treatment benefit scheme, carer's allowance, carer’s benefit, respite care grant, back to education allowance, fuel allowance, travel allowance, household benefit package.

Back to the stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I hate cheap f*ckers who do stuff like that - short-change you of a few cents, and then tell you that YOU are the mean one when in reality it is them who are being cheapskates...

heh heh "stingeness by proxy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The State covers all necessary care if it can't be afforded by the patient. If the patient doesn't want to wait on a list like everyone else, they can of course pay their own way. I still dont know what you meant when you said he had no rights.

Just some entitlements covered by State for MS sufferers are payments for the sick and those with disabilities, partial capacity benefit, disability allowance, disability payments and work, illness benefit, disabled person's parking card, disabled person’s grant, medical cards/GP Visit Card, motorised transport grant, treatment benefit scheme, carer's allowance, carer’s benefit, respite care grant, back to education allowance, fuel allowance, travel allowance, household benefit package.

Back to the stinge.
    Sounds like the state really does make it a priority to make services providing care to MS sufferers available to MS sufferers! I would LOVE to live in this Utopia where the most vulnerable are taken care of. Unfortunately I live in a Universe called Reality, where to avail of these minimal benefits you have to jump through hoops and mountains of red tape and even if you are fortunate enough to pass the tests of the judicial committee who decide (without them having proper medical training) whether or not someone is disabled enough or not to qualify for benefits, you will still (despite the claims of the Daily Mail reading brigade) be living on or above the breadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

My twelve year old brother charms one of my parents into buying him an Xbox game, plays it for a week or so, then sells it off to one of his friends and pockets the money. Sneaky divil!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

My twelve year old brother charms one of my parents into buying him an Xbox game, plays it for a week or so, then sells it off to one of his friends and pockets the money. Sneaky divil!

haha!! legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I know somebody who actually lets balloons down after a party and then has them filled with helium again .

Im surprised they wouldn't blow up the balloons themselves and pin them to the ceiling co they look like helium balloons!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Reminds me of a time when my younger sister gave my Mum £5 when she was going to town. My mum arrived back with a cool lego station that cost about £45. My sister took the lego and asked for her change lol :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement