Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

magnumbud wrote: »
    friend bought something for our house on his card. came to about 90 quid each well 90.25 each to be exact. gave him the 90 had no change for the 25 cent. he kept complaining that i hadnt given it back to him for a full week and just didnt have the change and it was 25c for god sake not like i paid the 25 and not the E90 just didnt have it cause i hadnt bought anything to get change that week. he brings it up when we were out for drinks on the thursday and i said fine i shall give you it tomorrow. at home i had a jar or 1c and 2c hadnt wanted to give him it in them as that would be annoyed didnt mind doing then though he got 25 1c's for being so pushy over it :-)

And you call him stingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

bfocusd wrote: »
    Im surprised they wouldn't blow up the balloons themselves and pin them to the ceiling co they look like helium balloons!!

Theres a hole in your master plan, but can you figure it out? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

kylith wrote: »
    Jaysus, you must be made of money to only shave with them once.

I keep going with them until they start getting dangerous.

No need to let it get dangerous . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Kxiom83Js

This way a disposable razor could last ya for months!

You wanna talk about stingy? You should meet my brother. I know a lot of people living in flats without washing machines will bring a bag of laundry with them if visiting the parents at the weekend, but when this guy does it he nicks the jacks roll (without asking) and stuffs it into his bag when leaving. Stingy by any standards but for a man in gainful employment? Shocking.

About 1983 or 84 he bought a shirt that he saw a member of his favorite group wearing on their latest album cover. 2012 and the cnut is still wearing it!

Pre-internet days I used to buy a lot of music and related merchandise from US mail order catalogs. Mostly American punk stuff you wouldn't find over here. Ten years ago I was back in my old room in the parent's house just clearing out old stuff. Dumping this, recycling that, donating the other to charity, and so on. I still had a bunch of old band t-shirts I'd bought as a teenager in the late 1980's. So I put them into one of those charity bags you leave outside your door for collection. And this was a genuine charity by the way (not the "Polish" version), because I personally knew the guy who drove the collection van and knew the manager of the shop too.

So your man driving the van tells me he was scheduled to do a collection run around the town first thing on Monday morning, before the traffic got heavy. No problem I said, I have a ton of stuff to go out on Sunday night. And what does my brother do? Crack of dawn Monday morning he's at the parent's gate rummaging through the charity bags like a bum for what he can steal. And I do mean steal because these things remain my property until the charity collects them.

OK, I was dumping the stuff anyway so it's no skin off my nose. But in 2012 a man in his forties with a decent job is wearing t-shirts I bought as a teenager in 1988, and he lifted them out of a charity bag. Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

But in 2012 a man in his forties with a decent job is wearing t-shirts I bought as a teenager in 1988, and he lifted them out of a charity bag. Yikes!

He wants to smell them and be close to you.

• Advertisement

He wants to smell them and be close to you.

Jesus I was afraid of that!

Crossed my mind but the only thing that fcuker wants to smell is the inside of my wallet I can promise you. He even keeps telling people, and I mean random strangers, that I'm obsessed with money. Yet the only person who ever brings my money up in conversation is him.

So maybe your answer is less creepy than the truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Scabby sibling story
    My sister's is a bit of a scab. One day I was visiting her and she was upset because she was a bit behind with bills etc and it was getting her down. I felt sorry for her so I gave her some money to tide her over. As soon as I gave her the money she cheered right up because apparently she would "still be able to save this week". I was surprised and asked her if without my contribution, would she still be able to pay the bills and she said "Yes".

So obviously I asked for my money back and she had the nerve to get upset with me! When I thought she was struggling, I was giving her money (which I didn't expect to get back) but she was convinced that because she couldn't afford to save that week (like savings is some sort of bill) that I was somehow failing in my sister duty by not covering this "expense" for her. It's something that we still cannot discuss to this day because I think I'm right and she thinks she is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    My sister's is a bit of a scab. One day I was visiting her and she was upset because she was a bit behind with bills etc and it was getting her down. I felt sorry for her so I gave her some money to tide her over. As soon as I gave her the money she cheered right up because apparently she would "still be able to save this week". I was surprised and asked her if without my contribution, would she still be able to pay the bills and she said "Yes".

So obviously I asked for my money back and she had the nerve to get upset with me! When I thought she was struggling, I was giving her money (which I didn't expect to get back) but she was convinced that because she couldn't afford to save that week (like savings is some sort of bill) that I was somehow failing in my sister duty by not covering this "expense" for her. It's something that we still cannot discuss to this day because I think I'm right and she thinks she is right!

You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Overthrow wrote: »
    You're right.

Yeah show her this thread and the amount of thanks the above post got and finally win the argument all these years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sligojoek wrote: »
    And you call him stingy

how is me not buying anything that week me being stingy? we bought it the monday night and i work monday to friday 9-5 i bring lunch with me to work and had already bought what i was cooking for dinner that week prior to getting him the E90! so in the space of 3 or 4 days i had not been to the shop. i had planned on giving the 25c back to him just had not got the change bar 1s and 2s and didnt want to be stingy giving that to him until he kept complaining about it childish yes but stingy not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I've been readig this thread for the last while and some of it is hilarious!
    I have a few good stories about a French girl I lived with in student accomodation.

We used to have to buy these electricity cards, a tenner at a time to keep the electricity going, similar to a meter system. There was 6 of us (although one lad basically stayed there once every 2 weeks or so) in the apartment so we used to keep track of who was buying the electricity.

We noticed that after a few months four of us had paid about €60-70 each, and the guy who was never there had paid about €40 (even though he basically used no electricity!) but the French girl had paid only €10, the first tenner as well cos she was the first to move into the place!
    We got a bit sick of this so decided not to buy any more electricity until she did. After a day of darkness she said to me "I think someone needs to buy some electricity, we've none left and I need to cook some dinner!"

I couldn't believe it!

I brought her down to my hometown one weekend as well to hit the beer. I had a few over my place and we were all drinking cans before heading out. Just as the taxi arrived she dashed back into the house again.
    In a club someone bought her a pint. After finishing it she pulled a can of Bavaria out of her handbag and poured it into the pint galss! Turned out when she ran back into the house earlier she had scooped four cans of Bav to bring with her!

It wouldn't be too bad except i'd bought all the cans for pre drinks and she'd only bought a €4 bottle of wine for herself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

my friends went too a bbq and bought the food to a girls house, when they were all finished she asked them all for 1euro for it, she didnt even buy anything.

another time she rang one of my friends looking for 50c she owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Old people putting their household rubbish in to public bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

But in 2012 a man in his forties with a decent job is wearing t-shirts I bought as a teenager in 1988, and he lifted them out of a charity bag. Yikes!

Probably getting a fortune for them on Ebay .... your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

hollster2 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes: i was told this from a friend in our group they were invited to a bbq so two of the lads spent 60euro on food etc n brought 2 her house she didnt buy anything then she had the nerve 2 ask everyone 4 1euro for the bbq n i heard shes rang the same girl that told me lookin for 50c she owed her !!!
    Theres that many numbers in there I don't know what to add up to see if the stingey story is genuine.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Crack of dawn Monday morning he's at the parent's gate rummaging through the charity bags like a bum for what he can steal. And I do mean steal because these things remain my property until the charity collects them.

I think if it's left outside the gate then it's technically not stealing. That's how those kids jumping into clothes banks get away with it - it's not counted as anyone's property until it's picked up by the charity if it's left in public.

But back to the stinginess - I knew a guy in college who would offer you a cup of tea in his house and then note it down in a notebook. He kept track of everything he gave you and would look for money for it once a month. "72p you owe me for teabags and biscuits you had over at my gaff."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

how is me not buying anything that week me being stingy? we bought it the monday night and i work monday to friday 9-5 i bring lunch with me to work and had already bought what i was cooking for dinner that week prior to getting him the E90! so in the space of 3 or 4 days i had not been to the shop. i had planned on giving the 25c back to him just had not got the change bar 1s and 2s and didnt want to be stingy giving that to him until he kept complaining about it childish yes but stingy not at all.

you did also say you were out for drinks on the thursday night....could have given him his money then....

I cry double stinge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

:rolleyes::rolleyes: i was told this from a friend in our group they were invited to a bbq so two of the lads spent 60euro on food etc n brought 2 her house she didnt buy anything then she had the nerve 2 ask everyone 4 1euro for the bbq n i heard shes rang the same girl that told me lookin for 50c she owed her !!!

119?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

bamboozle wrote: »
    you did also say you were out for drinks on the thursday night....could have given him his money then....

I cry double stinge

yes and he mentioned again that morning and when we just got to the bar and thats why i decided he was getting it in the 2's and 1's as i said this was childish but i dont see it as stingy

Quazzie wrote: »
    Theres that many numbers in there I don't know what to add up to see if the stingey story is genuine.:confused:
    why would i make up a story like that if u dont believe it fine :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He did you a favour, and in return you short changed him. I've a feeling it was nothing to do with the 25 cent, he just felt that you're being a pr1ck about it. If anything you should've given him more than the 25 cent as gratitude for him putting it on his card for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

why would i make up a story like that if u dont believe it fine :mad:

I think the problem is more that your story is incredibly incoherent rather than that it appears to be untrue.
    I had to read it about 4 times before I understood what you were saying and I'm still not sure what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    bfocusd wrote: »
    Im surprised they wouldn't blow up the balloons themselves and pin them to the ceiling co they look like helium balloons!!

Theres a hole in your master plan, but can you figure it out? :rolleyes:

My master plan included the pin going through the rubber bit before the knot.. Or if they splashed out they could buy ribbon and tie it all together and then pin to the ceiling ;)

RayCon wrote: »
    Probably getting a fortune for them on Ebay .... your loss.

Nope. If he was I could live with that. He's walking around wearing them.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I think if it's left outside the gate then it's technically not stealing. That's how those kids jumping into clothes banks get away with it - it's not counted as anyone's property until it's picked up by the charity if it's left in public.

It's not outside the gate. It's inside, and still on the parent's property. As a matter of fact it was inside the sliding porch door because I told the driver to make sure and swing by that way as I was leaving it there for him.

I think the problem is more that your story is incredibly incoherent rather than that it appears to be untrue.
    I had to read it about 4 times before I understood what you were saying and I'm still not sure what's going on.

right simple then my friends went too a bbq and bought the food to a girls house, when they were all finished she asked them all for 1euro for it, she didnt even buy anything.

another time she rang one of my friends looking for 50c she owed. SIMPLE..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

right simple then my friends went too a bbq and bought the food to a girls house, when they were all finished she asked them all for 1euro for it, she didnt even buy anything.

another time she rang one of my friends looking for 50c she owed. SIMPLE..
    Simple when you type out the words (mostly) correctly, yes.

Simple when you type out the words (mostly) correctly, yes.
    yeah I edited there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

One of ye change your Avatar FFS, this is getting confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

One of ye change your Avatar FFS, this is getting confusing!
    Mine has been mine for 7 years so it sure won't be me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not outside the gate. It's inside, and still on the parent's property. As a matter of fact it was inside the sliding porch door because I told the driver to make sure and swing by that way as I was leaving it there for him.

Fair enough. You said at the gate though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement