Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Alternatively: more stinge stories, less petty bickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Alternatively: more stinge stories, less petty bickering.

I apologise profusely. But my OCD about stingey stories demands accurate reporting of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have a friend who is notoriously stingey among our group. Of course, he has a great job, he earns the guts of €2,000 a month and still lives at home.

The best example of his stingeness: He got a taxi home one night. The full cost was about $6.80 in Brazilian reais, which is roughly €2.70. He gave the driver a five and a two... then waited for his 20 centavos (8c) change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have a friend who is notoriously stingey among our group. Of course, he has a great job, he earns the guts of €2,000 a month and still lives at home.
    The best example of his stingeness: He got a taxi home one night. The full cost was about $6.80 in Brazilian reais, which is roughly €2.70. He gave the driver a five and a two... then waited for his 20 centavos (8c) change.
    What's stingy about that? He was charged X for a service and he paid X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

One of ye change your Avatar FFS, this is getting confusing!

To be fair, they do spell their names quite differently. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I have a mate who is not necessarily stingy, but OCD about money and where it goes, down to the last cent.

He'll never let any of us buy him a pint, as it means he'll have to buy us one back, disrupting the "system". In a similar vein, he'll buy you a pint if you haven't seen him in months saying something like "that's for the pint you bought me back in November".

If somehow you wind up buying him a pint, he'll be visibly annoyed and almost takes it as an insult.

He brings the same apple sandwiches to lunch for work every day (you read that right) and has one of three meals every evening, mince and pasta, chicken and rice or a frozen pizza on a Friday as a treat. No sauces on any of the meals.

He rarely has the heating on in winter as the house isn't insulated and therefore it's a "waste".

He'll never go for a meal with a gang of us, even if it's going to be a great nights craic, will always just meet us after. The excuse is always "nah, i've already eaten", or "i have Weetabix here at home".

He has a dedicated savings plan that absolutely will not be deviated from, much to the detriment of his social life.
    I'd text him and ask him is he coming out tonight and the reply will be along the lines of "only for two pints, I only have €12 to do me until the end of the week", or "i wont be out this weekend coming, but i'll be out on the following Saturday as i'll have more then". He'll then show up the following week and disappear after 3 pints.
    He's not hard up for cash, he openly admits to crippling himself with the way he saves, won't even knock €20 off a week so people can actually see him once in a while.

Has a decent enough civil servant position with no mortgage, rent or car. Really nice chap, but talking about money is an absolute no-go area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I have a mate who is not necessarily stingy, but OCD about money and where it goes, down to the last cent.

He'll never let any of us buy him a pint, as it means he'll have to buy us one back, disrupting the "system". In a similar vein, he'll buy you a pint if you haven't seen him in months saying something like "that's for the pint you bought me back in November".

If somehow you wind up buying him a pint, he'll be visibly annoyed and almost takes it as an insult.

He brings the same apple sandwiches to lunch for work every day (you read that right) and has one of three meals every evening, mince and pasta, chicken and rice or a frozen pizza on a Friday as a treat. No sauces on any of the meals.

He rarely has the heating on in winter as the house isn't insulated and therefore it's a "waste".

He has a dedicated savings plan that absolutely will not be deviated from, much to the detriment of his social life.
    I'd text him and ask him is he coming out tonight and the reply will be along the lines of "only for two pints, I only have €12 to do me until the end of the week", or "i wont be out this weekend coming, but i'll be out on the following Saturday as i'll have more then". He'll then show up the following week and disappear after 3 pints.
    He's not hard up for cash, he openly admits to crippling himself with the way he saves, won't even knock €20 off a week so people can actually see him once in a while.

Has a decent enough civil servant position with no mortgage, rent or car. Really nice chap, but talking about money is an absolute no-go area!

The thing about him keeping track of pints is fair enough though. He doesn't want to be indebted to anyone, or to have debts owed to him either. He probably got sick of all the other people mentioned in the thread ripping each other off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Far from it, we're all the same small enough group who go for pints in the same spots every week, we usually don't even do rounds and no one rips anyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I don't know if this is stingy or not, but I certainly would not think of doing it myself.

Any time my friend visits my house (or any of our mate's places), she'll bring some biscuits/buns/crisps/cheese or whatever.. After we've had our coffee/wine (depending on the visit) and it's time for her to go home, she'll wrap up what's left of what she's brought with her and take it home. Every time. Even if it's only one or two buns.

I wouldn't expect her to bring a gift offering every time she comes over, but when I drop into her for an evening of drinks it wouldn't occur to me to pick up the half bag of doritos I'd brought with me and bring them home. It's been this way for years and she's a lovely friend, so I'm not sure whether it's stingy or not! After all, she doesn't have to bring it with her in the first place.. so I don't know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

There seems to be types of stingy. One is people who actively try to save money by ripping off their own mates or not paying their way which is pathetic and malicious.

The other kind is people just going to extremes to save money for themselves. More humorous than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

hollster2 wrote: »
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Theres that many numbers in there I don't know what to add up to see if the stingey story is genuine.:confused:
    why would i make up a story like that if u dont believe it fine :mad:

What a shame that one of the funniest replies I have ever read on Boards has been totally lost on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I sort of get that. I hate it if someone buys me a pint and I don't get an opportunity to get them one back. More so with someone I don't usually drink with. With lads I regularly drink with I couldn't give a rat's arse - it'll even out over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

He'll never go for a meal with a gang of us, even if it's going to be a great nights craic, will always just meet us after. The excuse is always "nah, i've already eaten", or "i have Weetabix here at home".

i feel sorry for this type of stingy person, he's just as you say OCD about his ever growing pot of money, he was probabaly raised that way by frugal civil servant parents urging him to get a settled job in the civil service with a good pension.

i've a friend like this, herself and her 3 brothers, all in civil service (1 is guard) all own houses but still 10+ years after leaving school live at home sharing bedrooms while building up their pots of gold money

not stingy as such to anyone but themselves as far as i can see...as the saying goes if you cant be good to yourself no-one else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

It's very good for flushing your kidneys if you have an infection.

Not sure if you are serious here. But if you are, you should be aware that that is complete and utter horse manure

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gerbo wrote: »
    Not sure if you are serious here. But if you are, you should be aware that that is complete and utter horse manure
    Really. I was given that advice by a doctor.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

i know someone who always puts 20.05 euros of petrol in his car and always pays with a fifty note. he usually gets 30euro happy with himself of saving the 5 cent, when he gets back the correct change he gives out about them being scabby feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

bfocusd wrote: »
    My master plan included the pin going through the rubber bit before the knot.. Or if they splashed out they could buy ribbon and tie it all together and then pin to the ceiling ;)

According to your master plan the balloons would be hanging from the ceiling by the knotted end, this is not how a helium filled balloon would rest on the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Kolido wrote: »
    According to your master plan the balloons would be hanging from the ceiling by the knotted end, this is not how a helium filled balloon would rest on the ceiling.

Oh my God please stop

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

He sounds like the kind of person who will never spend money on himself and will die leaving behind millions! I really hope he is saving for something in particular...other than his will.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

He brings the same apple sandwiches to lunch for work every day (you read that right) QUOTE]

Apple sandwiches?? :D:D

I once worked with a girl who arrived into the lunch room one day with a roll and a small tin of processed peas. She opened them, drained them and proceeded to put them into her roll and eat it. There was only myself and another girl in there at the time, there was complete silence as we watched her, both of us thinking "she's not actually going to.........oh yes, yes she is"!! That was in 1998 and I'm still traumatised by it :). I'm presuming she probably had nothing else to eat at home and maybe no money to buy something but peas in a roll? I'd rather starve!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

He brings the same apple sandwiches to lunch for work every day (you read that right) QUOTE]

Apple sandwiches?? :D:D

I once worked with a girl who arrived into the lunch room one day with a roll and a small tin of processed peas. She opened them, drained them and proceeded to put them into her roll and eat it. There was only myself and another girl in there at the time, there was complete silence as we watched her, both of us thinking "she's not actually going to.........oh yes, yes she is"!! That was in 1998 and I'm still traumatised by it :). I'm presuming she probably had nothing else to eat at home and maybe no money to buy something but peas in a roll? I'd rather starve!!

processed peas eww mushy peas maybe :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I had a guy from the Netherlands over servicing a machine in work, who was very intrigued looking at me as I made myself banana sandwiches for lunch.

I would never thought banana sandwiches were an oddity till I seen how bizarre he found it.

I had a guy from the Netherlands over servicing a machine in work, who was very intrigued looking at me as I made myself banana sandwiches for lunch.

I would never thought banana sandwiches were an oddity till I seen how bizarre he found it.

in fairness i think alot of countries think the breakfast roll is an odd thing too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I worked in a pizzeria in Australia and would regularly get asked for banana's on a pizza :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I worked in a pizzeria in Australia and would regularly get asked for banana's on a pizza :eek:
    But they grow bananas in Australia.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

if you asked for pineapple on your pizza in a real italian pizzeria you probably would be asked to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Butterface wrote: »
    I don't know if this is stingy or not, but I certainly would not think of doing it myself.

Any time my friend visits my house (or any of our mate's places), she'll bring some biscuits/buns/crisps/cheese or whatever.. After we've had our coffee/wine (depending on the visit) and it's time for her to go home, she'll wrap up what's left of what she's brought with her and take it home. Every time. Even if it's only one or two buns.

I wouldn't expect her to bring a gift offering every time she comes over, but when I drop into her for an evening of drinks it wouldn't occur to me to pick up the half bag of doritos I'd brought with me and bring them home. It's been this way for years and she's a lovely friend, so I'm not sure whether it's stingy or not! After all, she doesn't have to bring it with her in the first place.. so I don't know!

I wonder how does she view the biscuits/buns whatever that she brings? Like, are they a present for you, or are they jusy her treats that she brings to eat in your house?

I most definitely wouldn't go bringing home anything I brought to a friends house. But then again in my mind it's more of a gift.

Other people's 'logic' is funny sometimes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Muckit wrote: »
    Other people's 'logic' is funny sometimes..
    She might thing she's doing the householder a favour by saving on their brown bin costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

magnumbud wrote: »
    if you asked for pineapple on your pizza in a real italian pizzeria you probably would be asked to leave

I love ham and pineapple pizza - always have. Don't care what anyone thinks. Yummo!:)

In this climate, I reckon they would put anything you wanted on a pizza :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

I love ham and pineapple pizza - always have. Don't care what anyone thinks. Yummo!:)

In this climate, I reckon they would put anything you wanted on a pizza :D

even money :O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement