Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

I love ham and pineapple pizza - always have. Don't care what anyone thinks. Yummo!:)

In this climate, I reckon they would put anything you wanted on a pizza :D

i do love pineapple on pizza but italians are very perticular or what should be on a pizza. my mates girlfriend is italian and she hates most pizzas here that are not traditional.

saiint wrote: »
    even money :O
    i hope not coins i doubt its healty to be eating copper,silver or gold

magnumbud wrote: »
    i hope not coins i doubt its healty to be eating copper,silver or gold

even worse taste off your fingers if you have just had loads of change in your hand

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

After eating out, my gran will often insist on using their facilities before the 5 minute drive home from our usual spot "to save the flush" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

miamee wrote: »
    After eating out, my gran will often insist on using their facilities before the 5 minute drive home from our usual spot "to save the flush" :D

thank christ for commas:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

dan185 wrote: »
    thank christ for commas:eek:

Combine with the first half of the post above it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I think I speak for us all when I scream "WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!"
    magnumbud wrote: »
    even worse taste off your fingers if you have just had loads of change in your hand

Huggles wrote: »
    I think I speak for us all when I scream "WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!"

working at a till in a shop and you cant and you go to wipe your mouth of something like that never done that have you? or how about you bought something in a shop with said change and were in a rush and had to eat while moving never done that have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Newaglish wrote: »
    Oh my God please stop

Why do regular users post stuff like this in forums, your not a mod, you stop :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

I'll admit it. Im a stingy fecker to a certain extent...

Few things I do/did:
    • Blag toilet rolls from work so not having to buy them
    • Got child fare tickets till I was 20, including from college in Carlow to Dublin (young face which serves me well!)
    • In work, when writing scrap notes, I use an A4 page, make 5 columns, and jot them down. Uses ALL the paper this way. I do this to save on paper though, not money. Gotta save those trees somehow!
    • Still refusing to learn to drive due to the cost of it. Insurance brokers in this country are criminals.
    • When entering supermarket, the first port of call is the Reduced Section. After that, I can do the rest of the shop.
    • I get quite annoyed at people that dont finish their beers. Even worse those that open it, take one or two sups, and then forget about it/leave.
    • I ALWAYS wait for my 1c or 2c change. Reason being, its not theirs, its mine. I pay for what I receive and want my money back, even 1 or 2c.
    • I will be rage-quitting AIB when my account starts having those 'transaction charges' and going to Ulster Bank. Banks should be a service, not a money making scam, which is all AIB is now days. (1bn to be paid to ONE bondholder in October. Cant stand that.)
    • Internet piracy. Cause all the music/games/films I have/have had would have cost as much as Ive ever earned!
    • Probably more to come...

Saying that though, I do spend my money quite a lot and on other people. I more than often buy the first round, throw a good party with beer, spirits and snacks each month for mates. If Im set to go out for someones birthday at the weekend, I'll try stinge during the week on a meal or two. Social life has to come before money saving. If people are coming over to mine, I will always offer to cook them dinner. If I see a good voucher deal, I'll get it, and if its for the likes of 4 people, I'll get it and not ask for money for it. Also, I prefer to stick to dates for travelling than trying to find the best deal, and going to a concert than buying a CD/mp3 download.

There are other things; Id rather repair something than buy new, even though new is cheaper than repairing. I dont get that. Really think it shows how wasteful a society we are.

So I guess it kinda rounds out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Africa wrote: »
    [*]Still refusing to learn to drive due to the cost of it. Insurance brokers in this country are criminals.

learning to drive shouldnt cost much (if anything), if done with friends or family. go out with the family car on quiet roads, learn the basics, etc.
    Those scam artist driving schools can go shag off though.
    And if you think insurance in ireland is bad, wait til you see what it costs in other countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,374 ✭✭✭✭Victor

retalivity wrote: »
    learning to drive shouldnt cost much (if anything), if done with friends or family. go out with the family car on quiet roads, learn the basics, etc.
    Formal driving lessons are mandatory. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Victor wrote: »
    Formal driving lessons are mandatory. :)

really? i didn't realise, must have changed after i did mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

retalivity wrote: »
    And if you think insurance in ireland is bad, wait til you see what it costs in other countries...

Isn't there a rule now that you have to have a certain amount of lessons taken with a qualified instructor?

Besides, there's also the cost of the car, the insurance, VRT, depreciation, maintenance costs, tolls on motorway, fuel, parking etc and all that before you even get to the fact that car drivers live significantly shorter, more stressed and unhealthier lives than people who walk or cycle.

Craziness.

Yeah, I'm totally happy to be a stinge when it comes to driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Butterface wrote: »
    I don't know if this is stingy or not, but I certainly would not think of doing it myself.

Any time my friend visits my house (or any of our mate's places), she'll bring some biscuits/buns/crisps/cheese or whatever.. After we've had our coffee/wine (depending on the visit) and it's time for her to go home, she'll wrap up what's left of what she's brought with her and take it home. Every time. Even if it's only one or two buns.

I wouldn't expect her to bring a gift offering every time she comes over, but when I drop into her for an evening of drinks it wouldn't occur to me to pick up the half bag of doritos I'd brought with me and bring them home. It's been this way for years and she's a lovely friend, so I'm not sure whether it's stingy or not! After all, she doesn't have to bring it with her in the first place.. so I don't know!

Not only is this stingy but it's very rude too. Proper etiquette would be to leave whatever you've brought. Common sense would tell you this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Few things I do/did:
    • Got child fare tickets till I was 20, including from college in Carlow to Dublin (young face which serves me well!)
    • Make my gf pay for half of everything. I used to not, but shes now on more wages than me, so I think its fair. I still get the 'take care of me' talk though. Granted, she is trying to save 14k for her masters, but shes still at home and Im paying half my wages in rent alone!
    • In work, when writing scrap notes, I use an A4 page, make 5 columns, and jot them down. Uses ALL the paper this way. I do this to save on paper though, not money. Gotta save those trees somehow!
    • Still refusing to learn to drive due to the cost of it. Insurance brokers in this country are criminals.
    • When entering supermarket, the first port of call is the Reduced Section. After that, I can do the rest of the shop.
    • I get quite annoyed at people that dont finish their beers. Even worse those that open it, take one or two sups, and then forget about it/leave.
    • I ALWAYS wait for my 1c or 2c change. Reason being, its not theirs, its mine. I pay for what I receive and want my money back, even 1 or 2c.
    • I will be rage-quitting AIB when my account starts having those 'transaction charges' and going to Ulster Bank. Banks should be a service, not a money making scam, which is all AIB is now days. (1bn to be paid to ONE bondholder in October. Cant stand that.)
    • Internet piracy. Cause all the music/games/films I have/have had would have cost as much as Ive ever earned!
    • Probably more to come...

Saying that though, I do spend my money quite a lot and on other people. I more than often buy the first round, throw a good party with beer, spirits and snacks each month for mates. If Im set to go out for someones birthday at the weekend, I'll try stinge during the week on a meal or two. Social life has to come before money saving. If people are coming over to mine, I will always offer to cook them dinner. If I see a good voucher deal, I'll get it, and if its for the likes of 4 people, I'll get it and not ask for money for it. Also, I prefer to stick to dates for travelling than trying to find the best deal, and going to a concert than buying a CD/mp3 download.

There are other things; Id rather repair something than buy new, even though new is cheaper than repairing. I dont get that. Really think it shows how wasteful a society we are.

So I guess it kinda rounds out?

Banking is a service. Why do people expect it to be free? We pay for most other services. I'd imagine that before long, all banks will be charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

ck83 wrote: »
    Banking is a service. Why do people expect it to be free? We pay for most other services. I'd imagine that before long, all banks will be charging.

Only cause they get away with it. America and the UK have extortionate charges, I ****ing hate my UK bank account, sooo many sneaky charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Blag toilet rolls from work so not having to buy them

One of my previous employers switched to one ply toilet paper. Must be because you were stealing the good stuff. Blag == steal?
    Got child fare tickets till I was 20, including from college in Carlow to Dublin (young face which serves me well!)

I think this is more breaking the law (railway byelaws).

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    Not only is this stingy but it's very rude too. Proper etiquette would be to leave whatever you've brought. Common sense would tell you this too.

She's done this for years, so I guess I'm used to it now. She's a great friend, and isn't particularly stingy in any other ways that I can think of, so perhaps she just doesn't feel the need to respect etiquette when she's visiting her good friends. Plus, she is actually sharing the food/drink or whatever with us. But like I said, any time I visit her or go to hers for pre-drinks, I wouldn't dream of taking home anything I'd brought over!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Few things I do/did:
    • Make my gf pay for half of everything. I used to not, but shes now on more wages than me, so I think its fair. I still get the 'take care of me' talk though. Granted, she is trying to save 14k for her masters, but shes still at home and Im paying half my wages in rent alone!
    on the toilet roll side of things, that's not blagging, that's theft.
    On the girlfriend side of things, sounds like a spoiled bitch, she wants a daddy not a partner, dump her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I don't understand how any man feels obligated to pay for their girlfriend.

Sure, going on dates it's nice to buy dinner or pay for the cinema, but paying for every drink? Retarded. It actually makes me angry.

I know a girl who says her boyfriend "won't let her" pay for her own drinks. He's an idiot for insisting, and she's an idiot for allowing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think there's a difference between people being "sensible" with their money and being stingy, for example

Friend of mine doesn't see value in cars, thinks they are a massive waste of money, is driving a 15 year old Toyota Corolla, he does offer to drive us everywhere though, he is mad into triathlons and has a bike that is worth almost 10 grand. Same fella hates being in debt, any extra money he has goes to pay off his mortgage, he has a tracker mortgage and would be better off putting the money in savings but he'd rather be out of debt asap.

Another friend of ours will always be the last person to buy the round (but will always get his round), if there's 4 in the round, he'll get the fourth, 3, third, etc. etc., but he will always head off home just before it's his round, we slagged him about this 1 night and he bought his round, then stayed on for the next couple of rounds before heading off 1 before his round the next time.

My mother in law knows what times the local Tesco put the yellow sticker on goods and goes in every couple of days to stock up. When 1 of my brother in laws was younger he got a Pannini sticker album and was delighted, she brought it back to the shop and demanded free stickers to fill it that it was false advertising to sell it without them, she was laughed out of the shop (she won't go into Dunnes since).

I wouldn't regard myself as stingy, but I don't think I've ever offered to pay for petrol for anyone )or had anyone offer to give me petrol money either), I (and my circle of friends/family) would regard it as just something you do, saying that, the driver doesn't pay for drinks if out and if it's a long journey (e.g. to a match) their food is paid for.

A pet peeve of mine is when you go in with a group of people for something and people don't give the proper amount, for example 3 people chip in to buy a €100 present, you should give the person €35 and not expect anything back, they went to the hassle of getting it for you, if it's (say) €92 and you only have €90, make the effort to get the money owed, let the person who is owed the money let you off with the €2 rather than figure they are ok without it.

Another issue I have is when someone asks me to fix their computer or something for them, they should offer to give me something for my trouble, I won't accept it, but it should be up to me to decline it rather than someone to decide my time/knowledge is worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Because they have our money, which they invest and make money on. They also use this money as collateral to borrow and lend, which they also make money on.
    Banking may be a service but we pay for it by allowing them use of our money

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't understand how any man feels obligated to pay for their girlfriend.

Sure, going on dates it's nice to buy dinner or pay for the cinema, but paying for every drink? Retarded. It actually makes me angry.

I know a girl who says her boyfriend "won't let her" pay for her own drinks. He's an idiot for insisting, and she's an idiot for allowing it.

A lot of people have different opinions on how "dates" should go, I had an ex who insisted on buying every second drink when we were out, considering all she ever drank was tap water with a dash of blackcurrant it was great for me :)

I had another ex who believed it was the man's responsibility to pay for the woman all night, he mother was a housewife and she said that as soon as she got married she'd give up work, it's up to the husband to provide for the family.

BTW, bet you can't tell which relationship was longer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Because they have our money, which they invest and make money on. They also use this money as collateral to borrow and lend, which they also make money on.
    I think AIB are bringing in charges for people who don't have any money... I'm one of those people (I need to get a bit more stingy). I feel I deserve to pay fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I know this guy that's too tight to pay for prostitutes. Instead he goes out and seduces women instead. I've tried telling him that he probably ends up spending more on dinners and cinema tickets for them than if he just gave a hooker a few quid but he won't listen.

I wouldn't mind only he's not exactly short a few bob. It's probably cos he's Scottish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I know this guy that's too tight to pay for prostitutes. Instead he goes out and seduces women instead. I've tried telling him that he probably ends up spending more on dinners and cinema tickets for them than if he just gave a hooker a few quid but he won't listen.

I wouldn't mind only he's not exactly short a few bob. It's probably cos he's Scottish.

so you're scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The Banks are broke obviously, losing money on tracker mortgages which count for a massive % of their lending portfolio, and not forgetting expensive bank guarantee fees. Hence some are now charging for services, they will all be doing it soon. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jpm4 wrote: »
    The Banks are broke obviously, losing money on tracker mortgages which count for a massive % of their lending portfolio, and not forgetting expensive bank guarantee fees. Hence some are now charging for services, they will all be doing it soon. It's not rocket science.

haven't banks always charged you money for having an account?

maintenance fees even if you haven't used your account in months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

discus wrote: »
    Only cause they get away with it. America and the UK have extortionate charges, I ****ing hate my UK bank account, sooo many sneaky charges.
    But it costs money to run a current account for you. If you don't want to pay it, keep your money under your mattress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement