Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

That girl whose dad is a taxi driver should ask her mam for a lift next time her and her friends are stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

A group of children like to have sleep overs at each others houses. The parents at whichever house they are staying at cooks dinner for them all when they are over. At one of the houses the parents is a chef. Would it be acceptable for that parent to charge all of the other children for dinner?

No, of course it wouldn't be. You would never let your child stay over there again and they would be labeled stingy f**kers. The taxi things is exactly the same. Driving your kids around is part of a parents job regardless of their career.

I know a lot of people do get taken advantage of because of their career, taxi drivers, computer technicians etc. But that does not make it acceptable for those people to be stingy in circumstances like the original story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Eathrin wrote: »
    No. The parents take turns giving lifts. They don't take turns giving vaccines.

So just because the others take turns makes it ok?
    Her father still has to go back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

So just because the others take turns makes it ok?
    Her father still has to go back to work.

So do most parents, why would that matter:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

payment for lift is a tricky one, my best friend & I, another friend and two others was on a night out, they all needed a lift home expect me, instead of getting a taxi, he said no bother and they offered to pay him, he declined being polite, after dropping home the two people he only met that night who were friends with the girl left in the car, he was dropping her home and the petrol light came on, he then asked for money for the trip, no amount in particular, to get him home.

she paid, but they fell out coz of this. i learned the lesson it does not matter how long you are friends with someone, once money is involved, and he did her a favour, cheaper than a taxi, people can still get their nose out of joint.

i know she paid for the other two, but the petrol light came on, otherwise she would have got a free trip too. also the other two could reimburse her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

yer man! wrote: »
    I can't stand rounds, some of my friends would want €8 drinks when all I want is a guinness. Less hassle if everyone buys their own. people can drink at their own rate too.

I have a mate who downs the first pint in 10 minutes. takes me 20-30 to do it. He always gets the first round in so I find myself tell him to buy himself one and I'll get a round when I'm ready.

I know I'm not being stingy, but I still feel like I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Rounds should only be done with people drinking the same types of drinks that drink at the same pace.

I know a guy that drinks stout, when buying for himself, but will order a pint blttle of Bulmers when in a round. You might think, tis only a €1 difference but over a night of ten pints that is a tenner's worth

went away for a weekend with college "friends" fri-sun, on saturday i bought brand bread, breakfast stuff rahers etc, they probably too tight to buy, and put them in the cupboard or fridge, never told the group they were mine or keep away from them, why would I, they 11 people happily ate my bread and stuff, and when i drank a can of 7up belonged to one them when we got home there was war over it, didn't care about eating my food just don't touch theirs. they were coming down from their rooms eating different food etc and offered nothing to no-one. I hate greed.

also one cow driving a city car,60mpg, the trip would only cost her €25 max and she charged us €50, told us that is what she burn, drive a gas guzzler myself and would have done the trip for €45. what a wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A group of children like to have sleep overs at each others houses. The parents at whichever house they are staying at cooks dinner for them all when they are over. At one of the houses the parents is a chef. Would it be acceptable for that parent to charge all of the other children for dinner?
    Are they eating in their house or in the restaurant where the chef works?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are they eating in their house or in the restaurant where the chef works?

In their house.

• Advertisement

In their house.
    Well then no charge, but the taxi driver isn't driving them around in his own car. He's driving them around in his work vehicle when he is in work. Its equivalent to the kids staying over and going down to the restaurant looking to be fed by the chef for free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well then no charge, but the taxi driver isn't driving them around in his own car. He's driving them around in his work vehicle when he is in work. Its equivalent to the kids staying over and going down to the restaurant looking to be fed by the chef for free.

How do you know what he was driving?

So your saying that if the taxi driver used a different car, like the family people carrier or something, then it wouldn't be ok to charge them?

That's a tad arbitrary :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

He's driving them around in his work vehicle when he is in work.

Actually original story specified that he would only give them a lift if he wasn't working.

So he was refusing them lifts during working hours, but charging them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Rounds is the most ridiculous thing ever. I feel like it pressurises me into drinking slower than I usually do. I have a mate who takes half an hour to drink a pint of Guinness whereas I usually have 2 bottles of Desperados or 3 Captain Morgans and Coke gone in that time. I have only one mate who I will do rounds with because we drink at a similar rate. Usually by the time I get to the club I'm so drunk that I start buying everyone shots. I suppose this is the reason they still invite me out :pac:

Rounds is the most ridiculous thing ever. I feel like it pressurises me into drinking slower than I usually do. I have a mate who takes half an hour to drink a pint of Guinness whereas I usually have 2 bottles of Desperados or 3 Captain Morgans and Coke gone in that time. I have only one mate who I will do rounds with because we drink at a similar rate. Usually by the time I get to the club I'm so drunk that I start buying everyone shots. I suppose this is the reason they still invite me out :pac:

We always do rounds and it works very well imo. We all drink pints (for the first few hours) and we all tend to drink at a similar pace so its great not having to up to the bar every time which is a right pain when you can do a round and go up every 4th, 5th or 6th time. A round of 4 or a big round of 7 or 8 is the best as you can do the smaller one twice or do the big one once. Then when you get to the stage where some people want to go on shorts or more expensive drinks everybody buys their own. Works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    This might be a pretty popular one, but...I know a lot, and I mean a lot, of people that would order a coke in a fast food and repeat "no ice in it!" twice or thrice to the guy/lady behind the counter. They shield behind the "I don't like it watered down!" excuse - which fails miserably if there are 38 degrees and the coke is a warm broth within the next 20 seconds...

I dont do it myself as I like to have a bit of ice but a lot of places tend to put a lot more ice than necessary because it bulks out the drink a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

When doing Rounds you should only really do it with a small group of people who drink at a similar pace. The major benefit for me is not spending a large portion of my night trying to get the barmans attention. Plus there is a nice buzz and mannerly etiquette when giving and recieving pints to a group of friends.

Getting into a round with 7 people or a round with a Frank the tank character can be disatrous. Next you know you it, the wallets empty and your singin Sweet Carloline on the shoulders of the Molly Malone statue and spilling you curry chips on everyone.

I don't know if its stingy but I always like the to get the first round in as usually someone will join the group mid-way and i might get a snakey free pint out of it.

consultech wrote: »
    Actually I have a self-stingey shout here!:

I was building a piece of furniture a couple of years back and needed to buy a staple gun to do the upholstering. Off I popped to Argos and got one for ~€40 or so. I simply bought a packet of staples in woodies and used them, returning the gun when I was finished as it "wasn't strong enough", no questions asked!! Free staple gun rental!

I wouldn't consider myself stingey at all though, just seemed ridiculous to pay the 40 quid for 15 minutes use! In fact somethin Im lookin at for 2009 is flippantly spending so much money week after week, on myself and others!

i know a guy who bought paint for a gate and used half a bucket, put the lid back on and got his wife to return it, it was the wrong colour, the man in the shop opened it and told her it is nearly empty and the wife was speechless, she must have killed him when she got home for embarrassing her. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

When doing Rounds you should only really do it with a small group of people who drink at a similar pace. The major benefit for me is not spending a large portion of my night trying to get the barmans attention. Plus there is a nice buzz and mannerly etiquette when giving and recieving pints to a group of friends.

Getting into a round with 7 people or a round with a Frank the tank character can be disatrous. Next you know you it, the wallets empty and your singin Sweet Carloline on the shoulders of the Molly Malone statue and spilling you curry chips on everyone.

I don't know if its stingy but I always like the to get the first round in as usually someone will join the group mid-way and i might get a snakey free pint out of it.

I'm just no comfortable with seeing a large chunk of my money gone in one sitting :o I like to bring out way more than I need just so that I know I have enough money for emergencies. I'm particularly conscious of this in town. I guess rounds just make me uncomfortable :o

Nah I wouldn't think that's stingy, it's just smart!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

payment for lift is a tricky one, my best friend & I, another friend and two others was on a night out, they all needed a lift home expect me, instead of getting a taxi, he said no bother and they offered to pay him, he declined being polite, after dropping home the two people he only met that night who were friends with the girl left in the car, he was dropping her home and the petrol light came on, he then asked for money for the trip, no amount in particular, to get him home.

she paid, but they fell out coz of this. i learned the lesson it does not matter how long you are friends with someone, once money is involved, and he did her a favour, cheaper than a taxi, people can still get their nose out of joint.

i know she paid for the other two, but the petrol light came on, otherwise she would have got a free trip too. also the other two could reimburse her.
    Not sure here wasn't the driver in effect asking for a lend of Money ? Did he have no money on him? hehad already refused money for the lift when offered to ask for it later even if the light came on seems a bit odd. I know if that was me I would asking for a lend as opposed to her paying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

A friend of my dad would make them botha cup of tea using the same tea bag. The guy has over a million to his name. Suppose you don't save that amount of money without cutting a few corners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bubblefett wrote: »
    A friend of my dad would make them botha cup of tea using the same tea bag. The guy has over a million to his name. Suppose you don't save that amount of money without cutting a few corners.
    That's normal. Just because the tea marketing company says it is one tea bag per cup does not mean it is best practice.

Not sure here wasn't the driver in effect asking for a lend of Money ? Did he have no money on him? hehad already refused money for the lift when offered to ask for it later even if the light came on seems a bit odd. I know if that was me I would asking for a lend as opposed to her paying

I said the same to him, you declined, so the deal was a free trip, when you saw the petrol light on and needed money, she did you a favour, i presume he had no money on him, and asked our friend and she gave him €20, i never asked her about this tbh, was she expecting it back but they fell out over this, good friends are now only civil to each other.

the moral of my story was how good friends can fall out over little things when money is involved. he was changing his mind for payment, looked at it as a taxi would cost more, and she saw it as a loan i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Can you come to my birthday? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

weiland79 wrote: »
    This reminds me of a guy i used to know. He was a musician, a very talented one at that, played everything from guitar to sax to piano but was most talented at playing drums.

Anyway he came over to my sons B day (his 3rd i think) he brought over some sort of African drum wrapped up in a big bow with a card taped to the top of it. At the end of the day we couldn't find the drum anywhere so i gave the guy a call to ask if he had seen it,and what does he say to me only that he hadn't brought it as a present just for the kids to play with.
    I thought it was the most despicable things anyone could do and told him as much. Haven't spoke to him since.

Ah no...just no...

I went on holidays with a guy once who is a musician. He plays guitar and records music. We were in a bar where there was a two piece band playing some traditional music on a traditional guitar and my mate got chatting to them in broken english about the guitar and they pointed out the differences between theres and a standard guitar. My mate then had a go of it, and took to it really well. We were after having a few drinks and a small sing song got underway for about a half hour or so, and then we had to go to a scheduled visit somewhere else. On the way out the owner of the bar stopped us and asked us to call back the following evening. He was very impressed with how my friend took so well to the traditional guitar. He asked my mate to maybe play a few songs the following evening as we all seemed to have a good time and the others in the bar enjoyed it too. Straight away my friend went into negotiations on price. We all just stood there staring at him in disbelief. The bar man didn't know where to look and when our mate looked to us to back him up in his price, we all just looked at the floor/ceiling/out the window etc.

I was genuinely gobsmacked at how he wanted paying for playing guitar during a sing-song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I went on holidays with a guy once who is a musician. He plays guitar and records music. We were in a bar where there was a two piece band playing some traditional music on a traditional guitar and my mate got chatting to them in broken english about the guitar and they pointed out the differences between theres and a standard guitar. My mate then had a go of it, and took to it really well. We were after having a few drinks and a small sing song got underway for about a half hour or so, and then we had to go to a scheduled visit somewhere else. On the way out the owner of the bar stopped us and asked us to call back the following evening. He was very impressed with how my friend took so well to the traditional guitar. He asked my mate to maybe play a few songs the following evening as we all seemed to have a good time and the others in the bar enjoyed it too. Straight away my friend went into negotiations on price. We all just stood there staring at him in disbelief. The bar man didn't know where to look and when our mate looked to us to back him up in his price, we all just looked at the floor/ceiling/out the window etc.

I was genuinely gobsmacked at how he wanted paying for playing guitar during a sing-song.

This is a situation a few musicians will have. It's one thing joining in on a wee session, it's another being asked for a service. Doubt the barman would show up at someone's place with a bunch of free beer because everyone who will be there likes to drink. Not saying I'd ask for money out of the scenario, but I do understand it.

Champagne tastes and lemonade pockets... that's his problem.

'fur coat, no knickners' is an equivalent where i am from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Bubblefett wrote: »

that's not stingy just using common sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement