Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

In the vast majority of cases the roads they will be driving on will be the old N roads which would have carried all the traffic for years before the motorway was built.

I agree that its worth paying the toll Id never leave a motorway for the sake of the toll. However it is a lot more expensive for bigger vehicles to use the toll road and also if you are going through it a few times per day the cost would quickly add up.

the bigger vehicles usually have a tag, which their company pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I've just noticed the tags at the bottom of this thread.

"Scots", "Scottish" :pac:

'Cavan people' though - am I missing something here? Are folk from Cavan well-known tightwads?

Also, Dutch people are renowned for being tighter than a bad chest - and if it is your birthday in Holland, the boy/girl in question is expected to provide the food and drink. The Dutch also spend far less on Christmas than any other nation in Europe.

That said, Norwegians are the world's worst tippers, according to one survey. They seem to escape the tightwad tag, but any one of them I've known was a round-dodging, sleekit, miserable f*cker.

rich folk are tight with their money. poor folk generous with theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It would be page 152 if you weren't so stingey with your posts per page! ;)

im too stingy to scroll

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cavan man comes home from work early and sees a plumber's van outside the house.

"I hope to fcuk the wife's havin' an affair".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

'Cavan people' though - am I missing something here? Are folk from Cavan well-known tightwads?

You can get arrested in Cavan for breaking into a €20 note

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I once watched a fella in our town who is VERY wealthy spend 25 minutes trying to pick a 20cent coin out of a drain with a stick!
    Cheap entertainment

ya should have thrown another 20c down the drain

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

I once watched a fella in our town who is VERY wealthy spend 25 minutes trying to pick a 20cent coin out of a drain with a stick!
    Cheap entertainment

ya should have thrown another 20c down the drain

You're right I should have was hilarious, watching him get all frustrated. The thing is it's not like it was his and he dropped it , it just caught his eye as he walked past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm genuienly gobsmacked at your reaction to this. You've just spent two pages arguing that a taxi driver should expect to get paid to drive his daughter and friends somewhere, yet a musician who was asked to come back the following night should be so grateful to have their music appreciated they would jump at the chance to do it for free? :confused:
    BizzyC wrote: »
    Bit of a difference there mate.
    It's not as if the musician was going to charge family and friends to play for them.

A bar asked him to come back and play. You cant expect someone to go out of their way to provide a service to strangers, at the benefit of someone else's business, for free.
    *whoosh* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Fuinseog wrote: »
    this German joined the group and two rounds were bought, which he benefited from but did not offer to buy anyone a drink.

I think a lot of foreigners don't 'get' the round system. They see the pint you buy them as an obligation free gift.

• Advertisement

people who ring you, wait for your phone to ring and then hang up to save their credit.

I think a lot of foreigners don't 'get' the round system. They see the pint you buy them as an obligation free gift.

but who makes a list of absolutely every expenditure, even things like a small cadburys?

this guy would not spend Christmas and it was not as if he was sort of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

people who ring you, wait for your phone to ring and then hang up to save their credit.
    Doesn't work with me. Send them a text saying "sorry I missed your call, what's up?". My sister used to be terrible for sending those "call me" texts. The first time I got one I thought something was wrong but she was just being a stinge. Never called back to any of those type of texts after that and funnily enough she got the hint and started calling.

I work with a lot of non-Irish and anyone who has spent any amount of time here understands it pretty fast. Even most people new to here appear to understand it too there is always an odd person who doesn't though no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IndoIrish Kate

So Granny and Grandad used to drive to the bord na mona brickette factory with a trailer to buy the broken brickettes.
    They would weigh the car and trailer on the way in and out and you pay for the difference.
    Granny and Grandad would pick up six or seven grandkids on the way. (We were told its a nice 'drive' :rolleyes: all of us packed into the car.)
    So the car and trailer would get weighed with all of us inside, then Granny would send us out walking past the weigh-bridge once the trailer was full.

This worked well for years, until one year the car was heavier on the way in!
    Caught rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭veryangryman

So Granny and Grandad used to drive to the bord na mona brickette factory with a trailer to buy the broken brickettes.
    They would weigh the car and trailer on the way in and out and you pay for the difference.
    Granny and Grandad would pick up six or seven grandkids on the way. (We were told its a nice 'drive' :rolleyes: all of us packed into the car.)
    So the car and trailer would get weighed with all of us inside, then Granny would send us out walking past the weigh-bridge once the trailer was full.

This worked well for years, until one year the car was heavier on the way in!
    Caught rotten

Yep we did the same thing. We used to just so happen to "need the toilets" when the second weigh up was done.

Good times :D

On reflection, its actually a joke that people get/got away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

lived next to a family who was super stingey. The mother used to reuse all of her plastic wrap and ziploc plastic sandwhich and freezer bags....like wash them out and hang them on the laundry line to dry!
    If anyone in the neighborhood was throwing anything besides normal rubbish out she would dig through thier trash cans picking out what she thought she might use one day (like ripped jeans or a broken lamp shade) She would even dig through bags people left out for charity collectors! :eek:

We purposely always took our things to the charity shop just so she couldn't pick through it all herself first!!

Also once lived with a woman who regularly dumpster dived for all of her fruit and veg. she got "let go" from an accounting job at a large music store in our home city. Later found out she was taking cd's that hadn't even been released yet and selling them back to the store for money (like a trade in) saying she got it off the internet...didn't take them long at all to cop on to her game! she also got most of her clothes from dumpster diving as well...*shudder*

The creme de la crem of this woman though- the apartment had some issues with bugs (lets just say i did not live here long at all!) and there were two sponges, one for washing dishes and the old used up dishwashing sponge that would be used for killing bugs. She would cut off the corner of the old sponge so no one would mix them up. I had boughten a large pack of sponges and decided to use a new one to wash my dishes and cut off the corner so the old sponge wouldn't get mixed up. She apparently thought the sponge still had some life left in it- completely lost the plot over it and went raging around the kitchen over the "wasted sponge". Then she microwaved the old sponge and used it to wash her dishes!!

i was out of there as soon as possible after that!

does anyone reuse tea bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

No sure if you did the next cup would taste like dish water. theres only enough tea leaves in a cup to do max 1.5 cups of tea if even. Depending how strong / weak you like it. I couldnt get a second cup out of one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I sometimes do depending if I have time to go to the effort.
    Sure you can get six+ cups of tea from a teapot containing two teabags. As I said before, it's in the tea company's interest that you use each teabag once so that you buy more tea..same goes for the 'advised' dosage on washing powder.

How often do you dunk a cup into the sink's dishwater and drink it Ronan45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

snubbleste wrote: »
    I sometimes do depending if I have time to go to the effort.
    Sure you can get six+ cups of tea from a teapot containing two teabags. As I said before, it's in the tea company's interest that you use each teabag once so that you buy more tea..same goes for the 'advised' dosage on washing powder.

How often do you dunk a cup into the sink's dishwater and drink it Ronan45?

That logic if horrifically flawed. If that were the case then why wouldn't the tea bag companies just make smaller tea bags. Even if they reduced their costs to reflect the size reduction their profit margins would still be the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Because they want you to buy more!
    If they made smaller tea bags, you'd buy less tea overall as each smaller tea bag would contain less tea.
    Just because a profit-driven tea marketing firm says that 1 tea bag=1 cup does not make it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭bren2001

If they made smaller tea bags, you'd buy less tea overall as each smaller tea bag would contain less tea.
    Just because a profit-driven tea marketing firm says that 1 tea bag=1 cup does not make it so!

But you'd buy more tea bags OR use the same amount of tea bags that have less tea in them which would be cheaper for the company.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

It would cost them less to make tea bags with less tea in them. You will buy the same amount of tea bags either way so it's cheaper for the profit driven tea marketing firm to put less tea in a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sometimes I use 2 teabags if it's a big cup. I like my tea strong :D no sugar, tiniest splash of milk; best tea ever :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Depends on the size of the cups! If making two or more small cups at home in my parents, you'd have to use one teabag per 2 cups or face the wrath of mammy :D For the bigger mugs that most people are more likely to use these days, one bag per mug.

Sometimes I use 2 teabags if it's a big cup. I like my tea strong :D no sugar, tiniest splash of milk; best tea ever :p

but you would not hang out the tea bag to dry and use it again the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

but you would not hang out the tea bag to dry and use it again the next day?

Do people do that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Sure you can get six+ cups of tea from a teapot containing two teabags. QUOTE]

Manky cuppa tea in your gaff. :D

Our teapot holds 4 cups of tea and I normally throw in 3 teabags.

You can't invite people round and then give out cups of watery dirty water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement