Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

What's wrong with any of those options if you need the money? Better than running to the Community Welfare Officer expecting a handout.
    CWO dont give "handouts" the give you your entitlements under the Supplementry Welfare Allowance Schemes!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Fuinseog wrote: »
    who is going to let complete strangers store stuff in their house. if its hot you go down for it.

what student would want to live in a house with young kids?

They are called digs were quite common not too long ago.

Also some stinge. friend of mine was with this girl in the nightclub, she needed to go to the bathroom so she gave him her bag to mind. What does he do? opens up the bag takes out a tenner and buys them both a drink, her none the wiser.
    Cheeky git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BASHIR wrote: »
    They are called digs are were quite common not to long ago.

Also some stinge. friend of mine was with this girl in the nightclub, she needed to go to the bathroom so she gave him her bag to mind. What does he do? opens up the bag takes out a tenner and buys them both a drink, her none the wiser.
    Cheeky git

Why cant girls bring their bags into the jacks though, sometimes they have to then I both :D and :mad: at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Why cant girls bring their bags into the jacks though, sometimes they have to then I both :D and :mad: at the same time.

Tbh I think it was so that he wouldn't just feck off somewhere else an leave her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Fuinseog wrote: »
    What's wrong with any of those options if you need the money? Better than running to the Community Welfare Officer expecting a handout.

who is going to let complete strangers store stuff in their house. if its hot you go down for it.

what student would want to live in a house with young kids?
    One who also needs money and would be willing to help out with babysitting for cheap rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

snubbleste wrote: »
    How does that work??
    Everyone knows, you cut out the paper surrounding the stamp, soak it in lukewarm water to seperate the two, dry, then glue it to the new envelope.
    Only works for unfranked stamps.

That's too much hassle. I just peel it off after soaking the other side of the envelope... not out of stinginess... just couldn't be ****ed walking to a shop that sells stamps. There's a postbox right outside my house but rarely post anything so don't keep stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

BASHIR wrote: »
    They are called digs were quite common not too long ago.

Cheeky git

Legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

SocSocPol wrote: »
    CWO dont give "handouts" the give you your entitlements under the Supplementry Welfare Allowance Schemes!:mad:

It's handouts, for people to lazy to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nbar12 wrote: »
    Legend

Thief

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

dennyire wrote: »
    Guy works with me brings a large thermos flask to work every day....empty.

Last thing in the evening he boils the kettle, fills the flask and brings it home with him.

He used to put tea bags in it too but we copped on that and one guy now in charge of tea bags which are kept in a locked press

what a job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

what a job
    I don't think I could cope with that level of responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Paddy Cow wrote: »

Could get you into a lot of hot water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

That's too much hassle. I just peel it off after soaking the other side of the envelope... not out of stinginess... just couldn't be ****ed walking to a shop that sells stamps. There's a postbox right outside my house but rarely post anything so don't keep stamps.

Iron it with a steam iron;)
    Paddy Cow wrote: »

Father Dougal and the corner flags springs to mind:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Knew a man who switched off the ignition in his car at the the top of every hill & freewheeled down to save petrol.
    Didn't believe this until I actually saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

PLEASSEE dont start the debate that went on for ages at the start of this thread, about how it's more/less efficient to turn off your engine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

emzolita wrote: »
    PLEASSEE dont start the debate that went on for ages at the start of this thread, about how it's more/less efficient to turn off your engine. :)

We've had that twice already!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

An update on my brother in law :)

He's going on holiday with his wife and 2 kids next week, he wanted his parents to go with them so they could mind the kids, the parents went on holidays before with them and ended up paying for dinner every night and minding the kids every day, anyway, they aren't going, yerman has told them they'll have to pay for half the villa cause he booked a 4 person villa for them to share with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Clareman wrote: »

He's going on holiday with his wife and 2 kids next week, he wanted his parents to go with them so they could mind the kids, the parents went on holidays before with them and ended up paying for dinner every night and minding the kids every day, anyway, they aren't going, yerman has told them they'll have to pay for half the villa cause he booked a 4 person villa for them to share with them.

So bad it,s posted twice!!

He must doubly mean!!:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oopsie, he'd probably try to charge me for telling stories about him twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sounds like the grandparents need to develop a better stingedar to cope with his ways. My sister and I have ours very finely tuned after spending 5 days away with varied family, including our brother who does our head in on the stinge stakes. When he is around, we specify precisely what rooms we are in, and what food/booze/wine is to be put on our rooms. We'll get nailed by him if we don't.

We did ok for the most part, but on night number 3 we repaired to the bar after dinner. Just the 4 of us. The brother, his wife, me and my sister. It was my sisters birthday, so I insisted that she not put her hand in her pocket all night long. I am not a fan of the round system in general, but I reckoned with just 4 of us, we'd be ok. I went to the bar and ordered round #1. Charged it to my room. The brother goes to the bar and orders round #2. I order round #3. Paid in cash at the bar.

The Brother goes to bar and orders rounds #4 & 5. I was shocked by his generosity by getting in back to back rounds. He drinks faster than us, so he also got in a lone pint for himself here and there as we wimmin progressed thru our glasses of wine & bacardis. It should be noted that his wife never put her hand in her pocket all night long. It was just me and the brother ordering and paying, but everyone was drinking. We all left around 11ish. Bid farewell by the staff. No bill or check presented as we left, so I just presumed that the brother had either charged what he ordered to his room, or had paid for it in cash.

Went back down to the bar about an hour later to get some ice. Was asked to sign a tab for the ENTIRE nights drinking being charged to MY fcuking room. Turned out the first time the brother went to the bar to order a round, he was asked if it was it go on the same room (mine) as the first round that was ordered. He says yes. I didn't know his room number to switch some of the tab over to him, so I was hit up for the entire tab. :eek:

The money part of it doesn't bother me, but my was sister was home visiting from Oz. The brother hadn't seen her in nearly 3 years. It was her birthday and he couldn't put his hand in his pocket, just once and buy her a damm drink??? Grrrrrrrr !!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

what an absolute cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Did you ever ask him for his half of the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Did you ever ask him for his half of the bill?

Brought it up the next day at breakfast. He acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Normally, I wouldn't let something like this go, but I didn't want any aggro or drama from this to spoil my sisters trip home, so I just let it go & didn't push it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Brought it up the next day at breakfast. He acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. Normally, I wouldn't let something like this go, but I didn't want any aggro or drama from this to spoil my sisters trip home, so I just let it go & didn't push it. :rolleyes:
    You're a better person than me, I'd never let something like that go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jaysus he's a prick. Don't get him a christmas pressie this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It is precisely because you didn't push it that stingy people do stuff like this. Imagine charging a tab to someone elses room without their knowledge!!!! He might as well have just taken the wallet out of your pocket!! That is a breach of trust and pretty much theft. You're brother has robbed you. There is no way i would let that slide.

I wouldn't have signed for the tab, I would have told the bar man that only drinks that you had ordered would be covered and give your brother's name and tell them to get with reception to get him to pay for them, a pet peeve of mine is people making out that they are being generous when they aren't.

My own brother has a habbit of asking people to go in for shares in presents and then not giving his share and if you chase him on it he apologizes saying that he should have been reminded earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

In a shop I used to work in, this miserable old bat would come in every Sunday, get the Sunday Independent, tear the barcode off, pick out the busiest person at the till and leave it with them

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

dgt wrote: »
    In a shop I used to work in, this miserable old bat would come in every Sunday, get the Sunday Independent, tear the barcode off, pick out the busiest person at the till and leave it with them

I used to work in a well known big newsagents. It beggars belief how often people would try/get away with this. I wouldn't mind at the end of the day when we're closing, but these people couldn't wait that long to rip us off.

Another regular occurrence was the people who would wait until their favourite magazine was about to be taken off the shelf and then ask for it for free. They would get in a huff with you when you tried to explain to them how a business actually works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Just when i thought the science of skipping your turn to buy the round was played out, last night happened

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement