Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I was listening to the comedy button before, one of their listeners wrote in saying their girlfriend charged them for electricity and water :o 5 dollars to charge his laptop and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Butterface wrote: »
    I used to work in a well known big newsagents. It beggars belief how often people would try/get away with this. I wouldn't mind at the end of the day when we're closing, but these people couldn't wait that long to rip us off.

Another regular occurrence was the people who would wait until their favourite magazine was about to be taken off the shelf and then ask for it for free. They would get in a huff with you when you tried to explain to them how a business actually works.

The newsagents have to send back the unsold magazines now which does away with this practice.My local newsagent used to give me loads of magazines when I was younger,I never asked for them,they didn't mind as I used to buy a good few other ones.

Worked with a guy who refused to go on holidays and stated that he'd go when the kids were old enough to pay their own way.He came into work one day & told us his missus was going on a holiday to the States without him,she got fed up waiting to be brought somewhere.I thought he was going to cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

zerks wrote: »
    Worked with a guy who refused to go on holidays and stated that he'd go when the kids were old enough to pay their own way.He came into work one day & told us his missus was going on a holiday to the States without him,she got fed up waiting to be brought somewhere.I thought he was going to cry.

Good for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I've just noticed the tags at the bottom of this thread.

"Scots", "Scottish" :pac:

'Cavan people' though - am I missing something here? Are folk from Cavan well-known tightwads?

Also, Dutch people are renowned for being tighter than a bad chest - and if it is your birthday in Holland, the boy/girl in question is expected to provide the food and drink. The Dutch also spend far less on Christmas than any other nation in Europe.

That said, Norwegians are the world's worst tippers, according to one survey. They seem to escape the tightwad tag, but any one of them I've known was a round-dodging, sleekit, miserable f*cker.

And you havent EVER met anyone like that anywhere else.
    Wow you most be a real world traveller:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

And you havent EVER met anyone like that anywhere else.
    Wow you most be a real world traveller:rolleyes:

I've met loads of tightwads of varying nationalities actually.

I'll also wager I've seen a lot more of the world than you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭batistuta9

your original question about people from cavan:

yeah people from cavan are know as tight in ireland & this is said often, you'll even here it on TV etc. though it's said in a joking manner rather than derogatory on TV.
    i don't know why this is the case though or if there's any reason for it at all.

just like in the jokes it the kerry man who's stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

My housemate used to steal the carex hand wash that i bought for the bathrooms and use it as a shampoo / shower gel. I wouldn't mind as much if he put it back when he was finished instead of leaving it in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

<snip>

Mod
    Start a blog if you want to name names.

This is the second time your post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

dgt wrote: »
    In a shop I used to work in, this miserable old bat would come in every Sunday, get the Sunday Independent, tear the barcode off, pick out the busiest person at the till and leave it with them
    I had a customer try that before... I thought she ripped it off to scan easier so I scanned it, looking confused and asked for the money. She said can you not just send back the barcode... what??

I wasn't aware of the system corner shops run, we just recycle newspapers and give them the money for what we sold. So I thought it was meant to be a joke and laughed, she walked off and left me confused!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Great thread ha, only seeing it now!

I remember when I was younger, neighbours of hours were moving out, but only literally down the road to houses that had been newly built on a field. They came down and asked my dad could they use the garage to store some things as they had to leave their house to the buyers before their new house was ready and we were on the corner house, the only ones on the street with a garage.

He had no problem with that at all and said yes, I'll never forget the amazement of my dads face when he saw what they wanted to store. They had taken out all of the doors from inside the house (bags of screws and hinges an all) and also pulled 'built in' wardrobes out of the walls and plaster of their old house leaving the new occupants with literally a shell of building, holes in the walls and all.

They are much nicer neighbours though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I used to work in a well known big newsagents. It beggars belief how often people would try/get away with this. I wouldn't mind at the end of the day when we're closing, but these people couldn't wait that long to rip us off.

Another regular occurrence was the people who would wait until their favourite magazine was about to be taken off the shelf and then ask for it for free. They would get in a huff with you when you tried to explain to them how a business actually works.
    we have people who walk around the entire store reading the newspaper in the evening when we're tying up the papers to be returned and then they leave them back on the stand when all the tying has been done :9

And my word the amount of people still b1tching bout the plastic bag charge. We ask if they want a plastic bag and they always go "Are you gonna charge me for that?" The charge has been around for years folks, get the hell over it

I doubt that vey much:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Do you just like to pick arguments for the sake of it?

Edit: Now on ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Speaking of the plastic bag charge, remember that newsagent in the centre of Dublin that collected the tax but got done for pocketing it not long after.

I'd say that's widespread enough.

Worked in a shop once where these two aul ones used to come in and for whatever reason, used to want loads of plastic bags. Christ knows what they wanted them for, but they would take loads every time they were in. Then one day after the tax came in, when one of them was grabbing a load of them as they usually did, the owners son said to them "Hold on a minute, you can't do that, there's a tax on them now. We can't just give them out any more." She left them back, gave him a look like she was cursing him and never talked to him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Someone's had their first beer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Sounds like the grandparents need to develop a better stingedar to cope with his ways. My sister and I have ours very finely tuned after spending 5 days away with varied family, including our brother who does our head in on the stinge stakes. When he is around, we specify precisely what rooms we are in, and what food/booze/wine is to be put on our rooms. We'll get nailed by him if we don't.

We did ok for the most part, but on night number 3 we repaired to the bar after dinner. Just the 4 of us. The brother, his wife, me and my sister. It was my sisters birthday, so I insisted that she not put her hand in her pocket all night long. I am not a fan of the round system in general, but I reckoned with just 4 of us, we'd be ok. I went to the bar and ordered round #1. Charged it to my room. The brother goes to the bar and orders round #2. I order round #3. Paid in cash at the bar.

The Brother goes to bar and orders rounds #4 & 5. I was shocked by his generosity by getting in back to back rounds. He drinks faster than us, so he also got in a lone pint for himself here and there as we wimmin progressed thru our glasses of wine & bacardis. It should be noted that his wife never put her hand in her pocket all night long. It was just me and the brother ordering and paying, but everyone was drinking. We all left around 11ish. Bid farewell by the staff. No bill or check presented as we left, so I just presumed that the brother had either charged what he ordered to his room, or had paid for it in cash.

Went back down to the bar about an hour later to get some ice. Was asked to sign a tab for the ENTIRE nights drinking being charged to MY fcuking room. Turned out the first time the brother went to the bar to order a round, he was asked if it was it go on the same room (mine) as the first round that was ordered. He says yes. I didn't know his room number to switch some of the tab over to him, so I was hit up for the entire tab. :eek:

The money part of it doesn't bother me, but my was sister was home visiting from Oz. The brother hadn't seen her in nearly 3 years. It was her birthday and he couldn't put his hand in his pocket, just once and buy her a damm drink??? Grrrrrrrr !!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    I am in tears thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Short and sweet.

Have this mate thats the master of the "Ya wouldnt put a head on that for me" trick

If were out for a few pints he every so often pick out different bar men and ask them to "put a head on his heino" while making this confused upset face alluding it to being a mythical "bad pint"
    8 times out of ten the bar man will pour in a good quarter of a glass to satisfy the disgruntled customer.
    The odd time he will be questioned if its quiet but mostle gets away with it.
    He probably makes a 2 pints a night at it. Te he he he he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

jpcarlow wrote: »
    And my word the amount of people still b1tching bout the plastic bag charge. We ask if they want a plastic bag and they always go "Are you gonna charge me for that?" The charge has been around for years folks, get the hell over it
    This also leads to shop assistants telling me that "they're 22 cent you know" every time I ask for a bag as if I'm trying to cadge one for free. Feckin' stingey hoors making shop assistants think everyone is stingey.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

This used to happen to me in a part time job I had as a teen. When we'd be stock taking at the end of the day, we'd cut the top corner off any unsold newspapers in order to be refunded on them. Some people used to come up to me as I was de-cornering say The Times and hand me a Daily Mail and say, "Would you just cut the top off that for me?". :mad:

• Advertisement

Do you just like to pick arguments for the sake of it?

Edit: Now on ignore

Yes, typical, after sterotyping the hole world thinking how fantastic you and your kind is,its time to run with the tail betweeen your legs.
    You deserve a medal.

Someone's had their first beer...

Dont drink mate:rolleyes:,but you can have one if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Why cant girls bring their bags into the jacks though, sometimes they have to then I both :D and :mad: at the same time.

on the subject of women in the toilets or bajax this woman wrote to a local newspaper complaining about her experience in a galway disco. she was in the cubicle when her purse fell and two euro coins rolled out of the cubicle but she could still see them. before she could could pick them up a hand picked them up and made off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Post a story or GTFO, seriously.

Cousin of mine is notoriously stingy. He once gave his nephew/niece a used potty for their birthday present.

Whenever he buys a power tool, he saves the receipt. Just before the warranty runs out, he returns the tool complaining it's not working. He says, "The best part is they usually don't stock that model anymore, so you get a better/newer model."

Guinness were running some sort of promotion a few years back where they gave out coupons for a free pint. He got his hands on loads of them somehow, went into the pub and started handing them over, one after the other for his free pints. He was asked to leave and not come back shortly after. Normally he wouldn't even go for a drink because he has to spend money but the worst part was the pub owner was a relative of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When Budweiser released their iPhone app when you downloaded it initially you got a free pint voucher with it. I was in the pub one Sunday for a quiet one whilst watching the match, and decided to use my voucher. Then my mate offered me his because he was drinking Guinness. As the day went on more and more people came in with iPhones and we got them to download the app and I used the voucher from it. I must've had about ten pints that day all paid for by free vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

Have a different take on the whole taking the barcode off magazines and papers. The supermarket I used to work in the owner would go into the staff room and rip the barcode off any magazines or papers the staff had paid for just to return them and make a few euro extra!
    Also if anything along the lines of the moypark chicken kievs went out of date rather than reduce them or bin them he have the butchers take them out of the packet and sell them for 1.99 each on the butcher counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭bren2001

When McDonalds released their app you got a free Big Mac voucher. You had to activate the voucher and you had 5 minutes (or something) to use it. They always turned off the wifi in it around lunch time, so I took a screen shot of the activated voucher. Got a fair few Big Macs that week, some say it was stingy, some say it was genius.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Guinness were running some sort of promotion a few years back where they gave out coupons for a free pint. He got his hands on loads of them somehow, went into the pub and started handing them over, one after the other for his free pints. He was asked to leave and not come back shortly after. Normally he wouldn't even go for a drink because he has to spend money but the worst part was the pub owner was a relative of his.

I don't see a major problem with this or why the pub had a problem. Its Guinness that were doing the promotion not the pub so the pub wasn't losing out on anything they would still get reimbursed for the pints by Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't see a major problem with this or why the pub had a problem. Its Guinness that were doing the promotion not the pub so the pub wasn't losing out on anything they would still get reimbursed for the pints by Guinness.

Guinness would pay the pub back what the pub had paid Guinness per pint. Not what the pub would charge would be my best guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Guinness would pay the pub back what the pub had paid Guinness per pint. Not what the pub would charge would be my best guess.

Guinness would have to pay the publican the price of the pint retail (plus a bit more for the pub having to administer the promotion)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement